Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Suicide Rate for Female Vets vs Male Vets

wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 6:29:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.latimes.com...

"New government research shows that female military veterans commit suicide at nearly six times the rate of other women, a startling finding that experts say poses disturbing questions about the backgrounds and experiences of women who serve in the armed forces.

"Their suicide rate is so high that it approaches that of male veterans, a finding that surprised researchers because men generally are far more likely than women to commit suicide."

IMHO this shouldn't be surprising. This is the end game of feminism and equal rights for men and women.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Hoppi
Posts: 1,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 7:10:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 6:29:04 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
http://www.latimes.com...

"New government research shows that female military veterans commit suicide at nearly six times the rate of other women, a startling finding that experts say poses disturbing questions about the backgrounds and experiences of women who serve in the armed forces.

"Their suicide rate is so high that it approaches that of male veterans, a finding that surprised researchers because men generally are far more likely than women to commit suicide."

IMHO this shouldn't be surprising. This is the end game of feminism and equal rights for men and women.

This is about people with suicidal tendencies being more likely to join the military than more stable people. Those women might have committed suicide even if their applications to join up had been refused.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 11:12:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 7:10:57 PM, Hoppi wrote:
At 6/10/2015 6:29:04 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
http://www.latimes.com...

"New government research shows that female military veterans commit suicide at nearly six times the rate of other women, a startling finding that experts say poses disturbing questions about the backgrounds and experiences of women who serve in the armed forces.

"Their suicide rate is so high that it approaches that of male veterans, a finding that surprised researchers because men generally are far more likely than women to commit suicide."

IMHO this shouldn't be surprising. This is the end game of feminism and equal rights for men and women.

This is about people with suicidal tendencies being more likely to join the military than more stable people. Those women might have committed suicide even if their applications to join up had been refused.

That's not relevant to the comparison with the civilian population and vis a vis men. If what you said were true, the idea would be that female suicide rates would have risen proportionally to the rise in male suicide rates when accounting for military service.

However, there is no proportionality...the conclusion is that military service has served as an equalizing factor when it comes to this particular statistic.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Hoppi
Posts: 1,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 12:12:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If 1 in 10 women in the military are raped, you'd have to be a bit mentally unstable to join. That's more true for female than for male recruits, so the increase wouldn't have to be proportionate for this to be the driving factor.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 4:21:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/11/2015 12:12:59 PM, Hoppi wrote:
If 1 in 10 women in the military are raped, you'd have to be a bit mentally unstable to join. That's more true for female than for male recruits, so the increase wouldn't have to be proportionate for this to be the driving factor.

Considering that 1 in 5 college-age women are victims of sexual assault, the military numbers, while certainly not good, conform to the norm in the US, especially given the vast majority of the military population being below 30 years of age.

Your argument essentially boils down to either ignorance of societal trends, or asserting that all college-age females are "a bit mentally unstable".

Now, you can question the 1 in 5 number if you like (http://time.com...)...but then you'd have to question the 1 in 10 number for the military as well for more than likely similar reasons. Keep in mind though that the 1 in 5 number does not include attempts at sexual assault, and that if it included that number, more than likely rates of female victimhood would be much, much higher.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Skynet
Posts: 674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 7:39:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I guess it's time for me to get scowled at for opposing women anywhere near combat to protect them, and I would say it has nothing to do with rights, but it does: Women have the right to be protected by their men, and we have the obligation. Call me a caveman, but I'd stand in between a violent man or a mad dog and a woman any day. But I guess that's just because I want to keep her down. You know, protection=oppression.

Now put an average red-blooded group of young men, some will be more lecherous than others. Put them in combat for months at a time, their ability to suppress their darker tendencies will wane. They are totally responsible for their own actions, but who's responsible for putting women right next to them? Is that smart? Is that right?
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
slo1
Posts: 4,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 11:35:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This little blurb is very interesting:

Male veterans 50 and older " the vast majority of whom served during the draft era, which ended in 1973 " had roughly the same suicide rates as nonveteran men their age. Only younger male veterans, who served in the all-volunteer force, had rates that exceeded those of other men.

I wonder if there were societal differences that began in the 80's which would cause changes what causes post traumatic stress. For example is a man who grows up hunting or slaughtering farm animals, less likely to experience post traumatic stress when seeing fellow soldiers get torn up by a mine? I wouldn't think so because in the former one does not feel his life is under threat and when under that threat it is probably very different, but it makes me wonder.