Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Yay for the Gays...

comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 1:06:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Maybe the DDO reunion can be L and Vi's wedding?

Will this thing stand?
Will other states follow suit?

What will happen now?
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 1:45:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 1:44:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It goes to SCOTUS, and I'd say SCOTUS will strike it down.

Why would you think that?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 1:49:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 1:45:42 PM, innomen wrote:
Why would you think that?

Conservatives still control the court.

I mean, either they vote to increase the fed's power over the state, or they strike it down to please their conservative masters. Either or at this point.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 2:02:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 1:45:42 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/12/2010 1:44:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It goes to SCOTUS, and I'd say SCOTUS will strike it down.

Why would you think that?

The conservatives still have a majority.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 2:09:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 2:02:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/12/2010 1:45:42 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/12/2010 1:44:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It goes to SCOTUS, and I'd say SCOTUS will strike it down.

Why would you think that?

The conservatives still have a majority.

It's not necessarily like that with the Supreme Court. They are more of a wild card, and if the issue actually makes it there and the constitutional question is equal protection, then we'll see. It is less political.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 2:11:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 2:09:11 PM, innomen wrote:
It's not necessarily like that with the Supreme Court. They are more of a wild card, and if the issue actually makes it there and the constitutional question is equal protection, then we'll see. It is less political.

Maybe I'm just more cynical about SCOTUS than you, but I disagree. It'll vote along party lines if it ends up being defeated, just watch.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 2:15:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 2:11:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/12/2010 2:09:11 PM, innomen wrote:
It's not necessarily like that with the Supreme Court. They are more of a wild card, and if the issue actually makes it there and the constitutional question is equal protection, then we'll see. It is less political.

Maybe I'm just more cynical about SCOTUS than you, but I disagree. It'll vote along party lines if it ends up being defeated, just watch.

There were some recent decisions (I'm trying to remember...) i think they involved some union issues, and the decisions went opposite to what one might expect. Much depends on how it is presented. As i said, if it is strictly a law and it's constitutionality, and it is clearly not constitutional without any activism to be done in the interpretation, i can see it passing. Yeah, we'll watch...but don't hold your breath.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 2:25:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm optimistic about SCOTUS...

Lol, did you guys see the dude on CNN favoring Prop 8? The anchor asked him why, and he said "because God's against it..." just as 99% of other anti-gay marriage advocates respond. I really thought the concept of a separation between religion and public policy was taught in 3rd grade. I don't see what's so friggin hard to understand. If your argument is God, stfu. It's irrelevant to policy. Period.
President of DDO
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 3:40:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 1:44:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It goes to SCOTUS, and I'd say SCOTUS will strike it down.

What is SCROTUS? Sounds like latin for scrotum lol.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 3:41:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 3:40:25 PM, feverish wrote:
At 8/12/2010 1:44:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It goes to SCOTUS, and I'd say SCOTUS will strike it down.

What is SCROTUS? Sounds like latin for scrotum lol.

Yeah it does lol... Supreme Court Of The United States acronym.
President of DDO
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 3:46:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 2:25:31 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm optimistic about SCOTUS...

Lol, did you guys see the dude on CNN favoring Prop 8? The anchor asked him why, and he said "because God's against it..." just as 99% of other anti-gay marriage advocates respond. I really thought the concept of a separation between religion and public policy was taught in 3rd grade. I don't see what's so friggin hard to understand. If your argument is God, stfu. It's irrelevant to policy. Period.

I think if the Founding Fathers were brought back to life in today's society, they'd actually commit suicide. The whole basis of American Independence was to escape religious persecution inside the laws and have a government ruled by the people not a God. But now, separation of Church and State doesn't seem to work... And we're stuck with overzealous, religious morons who keep pulling us back to the Medieval Age instead of letting the nation progress.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 3:55:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 3:46:17 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/12/2010 2:25:31 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm optimistic about SCOTUS...

Lol, did you guys see the dude on CNN favoring Prop 8? The anchor asked him why, and he said "because God's against it..." just as 99% of other anti-gay marriage advocates respond. I really thought the concept of a separation between religion and public policy was taught in 3rd grade. I don't see what's so friggin hard to understand. If your argument is God, stfu. It's irrelevant to policy. Period.

I think if the Founding Fathers were brought back to life in today's society, they'd actually commit suicide. The whole basis of American Independence was to escape religious persecution inside the laws and have a government ruled by the people not a God. But now, separation of Church and State doesn't seem to work... And we're stuck with overzealous, religious morons who keep pulling us back to the Medieval Age instead of letting the nation progress.

They may kill themselves over the fact that women are in politics or that gay people can marry. I think that the SOCS would not be the first thing they would want to kill themselves over.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:02:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 3:55:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 8/12/2010 3:46:17 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/12/2010 2:25:31 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm optimistic about SCOTUS...

Lol, did you guys see the dude on CNN favoring Prop 8? The anchor asked him why, and he said "because God's against it..." just as 99% of other anti-gay marriage advocates respond. I really thought the concept of a separation between religion and public policy was taught in 3rd grade. I don't see what's so friggin hard to understand. If your argument is God, stfu. It's irrelevant to policy. Period.

I think if the Founding Fathers were brought back to life in today's society, they'd actually commit suicide. The whole basis of American Independence was to escape religious persecution inside the laws and have a government ruled by the people not a God. But now, separation of Church and State doesn't seem to work... And we're stuck with overzealous, religious morons who keep pulling us back to the Medieval Age instead of letting the nation progress.


They may kill themselves over the fact that women are in politics or that gay people can marry. I think that the SOCS would not be the first thing they would want to kill themselves over.

I wasn't talking about just Gay rights. Looking at society today, we are still ruled by Christianity. Religion affects EVERYTHING. And that's the opposite of the Founding Father's intentions. It's pathetic...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:03:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:02:16 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/12/2010 3:55:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 8/12/2010 3:46:17 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/12/2010 2:25:31 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm optimistic about SCOTUS...

Lol, did you guys see the dude on CNN favoring Prop 8? The anchor asked him why, and he said "because God's against it..." just as 99% of other anti-gay marriage advocates respond. I really thought the concept of a separation between religion and public policy was taught in 3rd grade. I don't see what's so friggin hard to understand. If your argument is God, stfu. It's irrelevant to policy. Period.

I think if the Founding Fathers were brought back to life in today's society, they'd actually commit suicide. The whole basis of American Independence was to escape religious persecution inside the laws and have a government ruled by the people not a God. But now, separation of Church and State doesn't seem to work... And we're stuck with overzealous, religious morons who keep pulling us back to the Medieval Age instead of letting the nation progress.


They may kill themselves over the fact that women are in politics or that gay people can marry. I think that the SOCS would not be the first thing they would want to kill themselves over.

I wasn't talking about just Gay rights. Looking at society today, we are still ruled by Christianity. Religion affects EVERYTHING. And that's the opposite of the Founding Father's intentions. It's pathetic...

Not all of the founders.
Some founders wanted it like that.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:03:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 3:40:25 PM, feverish wrote:
At 8/12/2010 1:44:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It goes to SCOTUS, and I'd say SCOTUS will strike it down.

What is SCROTUS? Sounds like latin for scrotum lol.

where'd you get the r from? you've got balls on the brain is all.
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:04:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:03:51 PM, badger wrote:
At 8/12/2010 3:40:25 PM, feverish wrote:
At 8/12/2010 1:44:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It goes to SCOTUS, and I'd say SCOTUS will strike it down.

What is SCROTUS? Sounds like latin for scrotum lol.

where'd you get the r from? you've got balls on the brain is all.

but yay for the gays...
signature
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:06:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Lwerd should invite us all to her wedding. That'd be good for a DDO Party.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:07:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:02:16 PM, annhasle wrote:
I wasn't talking about just Gay rights. Looking at society today, we are still ruled by Christianity. Religion affects EVERYTHING. And that's the opposite of the Founding Father's intentions. It's pathetic...

The Separation of Church and State was basically the sentiment that the U.S. could not pass any law mandating a specific religion, or create a law requiring it (the government's imposition of what religion everyone must be). However, God is cited as the giver of rights in the Declaration of Independence, and nearly all founding fathers were religious. They'd certainly be up in arms about our country today, but like comon said, I'm not sure this would be the biggest of their concerns...
President of DDO
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:08:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:06:31 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Lwerd should invite us all to her wedding. That'd be good for a DDO Party.

That would be cool.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:09:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:06:31 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Lwerd should invite us all to her wedding. That'd be good for a DDO Party.

I'm pretty sure I'll invite a bunch of people from ddo for the hell of it lol... it would be fitting, given how Vi and I met, no? You're invited. You can bring a date as long as it's a girl. I don't want any homos stealing my thunder on the big day.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:11:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:03:51 PM, badger wrote:

where'd you get the r from? you've got balls on the brain is all.

That was feves - I said SCOTUS. Ew, balls lol.
President of DDO
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:13:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:11:40 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/12/2010 4:03:51 PM, badger wrote:

where'd you get the r from? you've got balls on the brain is all.

That was feves - I said SCOTUS. Ew, balls lol.

you'd like my balls.
signature
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:14:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:09:42 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'll invite a bunch of people from ddo for the hell of it lol... it would be fitting, given how Vi and I met, no? You're invited. You can bring a date as long as it's a girl. I don't want any homos stealing my thunder on the big day.

Even if I did have a girlfriend or prospective date at that time, I doubt I would bring her. "Hey babe, wanna go to California for a marriage between some lesbians I met over the internet?" Wouldn't go over well I imagine.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:14:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:09:42 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/12/2010 4:06:31 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Lwerd should invite us all to her wedding. That'd be good for a DDO Party.

I'm pretty sure I'll invite a bunch of people from ddo for the hell of it lol... it would be fitting, given how Vi and I met, no?
I definitely agree.
You're invited.
I feel honored.
You can bring a date as long as it's a girl. I don't want any homos stealing my thunder on the big day.
You homophobe.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:17:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:14:22 PM, Nags wrote:
At 8/12/2010 4:09:42 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'll invite a bunch of people from ddo for the hell of it lol... it would be fitting, given how Vi and I met, no? You're invited. You can bring a date as long as it's a girl. I don't want any homos stealing my thunder on the big day.

Even if I did have a girlfriend or prospective date at that time, I doubt I would bring her. "Hey babe, wanna go to California for a marriage between some lesbians I met over the internet?" Wouldn't go over well I imagine.

Benefits:

1. California vacay
2. Lesbians are non-threatening
3. Party; free food; open bar

Disadvantages:

1. Hmm... :p
President of DDO
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:18:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/12/2010 4:06:31 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Lwerd should invite us all to her wedding. That'd be good for a DDO Party.

I know! That was my first thought when I made this and saw the news