Total Posts:88|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Racism

vivalayeo
Posts: 142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 3:31:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I want to know what you're view's are on Racism. It seem's to be a term that is used loosely, and too often now-a-day's whenever someone pretend's to be offended. Is being critical of someone else's culture, belief's and politic's deemed Racist? I alway's find that those doing the accusing are usually trying to stun debate and analysis over their core belief's. The bottom line for me is, rational argument, debate and analysis of anything cannot be harmful. It is only when you are driven by malice or irrational hate/dislike that it then become's unjustifiable. For instance, some people regard the title 'black' to be offensive and Racist, which I disagree on, because there is no malicious intent. Calling a black person a 'Nigger' is malicious and therefore wrong in my book.

Here's my idea. Granting special right's to ethnicities and minorities is Racist in itself, because it acknowlege's that there is a difference and because of this difference, people need to be treated differently. For instance 'Black History month' in America, is a perfect example of this. However, if we ignore the fact that we are different colour's, well not ignore, but if we accept that it is not a difinitive way to judge a person, then you eradicat Racism. Concession's whether good or bad, are ultimately immoral. If we accept eachother as fellow human being's, or by eachother's name's then the problem does not exist.

What do you guy's think?
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 4:24:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
People are not born equal.

Eugenics is not a pseudoscience.

fascism is fallacious.

Racism is too much of a generic term.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 4:27:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I try to embrace other cultures as much as I can(unfortunately that's difficult in my current location). There are actually times when I am ashamed of being white, considering the amounts of hatred and intolerance whites have displayed towards others. I'm sure other cultures have done the same, but certainly not to the same extent.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 4:30:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
You could say Asian parents make their kids study too hard. It's a generalisation, and a negative comment, but it's probably true.

You could also say that black parents don't make their kids study enough. It's also a generalisation, and a negative comment, but, again, it's probably true.

The first comment wouldn't really be considered racist though, while the second one probably would.

Why? Because we, as a society, have propagated the idea that Asians are clever and industrious whereas blacks are stupid and lazy.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 4:37:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 4:27:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There are actually times when I am ashamed of being white, considering the amounts of hatred and intolerance whites have displayed towards others.

That's a racist statement against white and are using racism to battle racism. You use the stereotype of whites being racist and used that to fuel your stance against a race. You're basically being racist against a race who you think is racist.

lol
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 4:39:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 4:37:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/13/2010 4:27:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There are actually times when I am ashamed of being white, considering the amounts of hatred and intolerance whites have displayed towards others.

That's a racist statement against white and are using racism to battle racism. You use the stereotype of whites being racist and used that to fuel your stance against a race. You're basically being racist against a race who you think is racist.

lol

Whites are pretty damn racist though, especially with all that "aryan race" crap and such.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 4:48:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 4:43:10 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The man has spoken

I think Mike Wallace might have crapped his pants during that interview. He look seriously scared... LOL :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
vivalayeo
Posts: 142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 5:05:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 4:43:10 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The man has spoken

Yeah that is a great video. I basically had a long discussion with a friend and we came up with this idea. Then I was talking to someone on youtube and he pointed me to that video, and I think Morgan Freeman states it more efficienty than i can
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 5:37:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Q:How do we get rid of racism?
A: By stop talking about it.

Lol, no. Just...no. This myth of pretending that color-blindness will fix everything has to stop.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 6:20:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 4:24:33 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
People are not born equal.

Eugenics is not a pseudoscience.

fascism is fallacious.

Racism is too much of a generic term.

You're joking, right?
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 6:20:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 4:27:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I try to embrace other cultures as much as I can(unfortunately that's difficult in my current location). There are actually times when I am ashamed of being white, considering the amounts of hatred and intolerance whites have displayed towards others. I'm sure other cultures have done the same, but certainly not to the same extent.

You do know that is aint just white folks that can be racist right? I think white folks stand out because they have had "control" for the longest. I have a lot of friends that don't share my race. They are just as racist as the next race. I'm not making excuses for anyone,my self included. We are all disgusting creatures and should be beat with riding crops. Where is my panda?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 6:46:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 5:37:25 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Q:How do we get rid of racism?
A: By stop talking about it.

Lol, no. Just...no. This myth of pretending that color-blindness will fix everything has to stop.

No, by stop propagating that race even exists. Once people acknowledge that there is no difference, there will be no differentiations to discriminate. We need to eradicate the idea that there are even separate races in order to stop it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 6:54:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 4:27:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I try to embrace other cultures as much as I can(unfortunately that's difficult in my current location). There are actually times when I am ashamed of being white, considering the amounts of hatred and intolerance whites have displayed towards others. I'm sure other cultures have done the same, but certainly not to the same extent.

that means you've already bought into the racist's main premise, namely that the color of your skin determines anything significant about you. it doesn't. once people stop believing that it does, or that races are collective entities that can be benefited or harmed as wholes, racism will fade away. we shouldn't ignore racism, or race, but we should make it clear that race is not a significant determinant of personality, ability, or values.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 6:57:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 6:54:09 PM, belle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 4:27:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I try to embrace other cultures as much as I can(unfortunately that's difficult in my current location). There are actually times when I am ashamed of being white, considering the amounts of hatred and intolerance whites have displayed towards others. I'm sure other cultures have done the same, but certainly not to the same extent.

that means you've already bought into the racist's main premise, namely that the color of your skin determines anything significant about you. it doesn't. once people stop believing that it does, or that races are collective entities that can be benefited or harmed as wholes, racism will fade away. we shouldn't ignore racism, or race, but we should make it clear that race is not a significant determinant of personality, ability, or values.

This.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 8:41:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 4:39:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 4:37:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/13/2010 4:27:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There are actually times when I am ashamed of being white, considering the amounts of hatred and intolerance whites have displayed towards others.

That's a racist statement against white and are using racism to battle racism. You use the stereotype of whites being racist and used that to fuel your stance against a race. You're basically being racist against a race who you think is racist.

lol

Whites are pretty damn racist though, especially with all that "aryan race" crap and such.

I find that white people at least make a conscious effort to not be racist simply because it is socially undesirable. I guess it depends on where you live but don't buy all that "Canada as a tossed salad" multicultural crap our government is trying to sell. Every race is racist to somebody.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 8:48:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 8:41:16 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Every race is racist to somebody.

Not me. In fact, I don't even identify with my races and not the least bit offended when Mexicans or French people are insulted (I'm French Mexican).
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CrysisPillar
Posts: 71
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 9:52:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 3:31:34 PM, vivalayeo wrote:
I want to know what you're view's are on Racism. It seem's to be a term that is used loosely, and too often now-a-day's whenever someone pretend's to be offended. Is being critical of someone else's culture, belief's and politic's deemed Racist? I alway's find that those doing the accusing are usually trying to stun debate and analysis over their core belief's. The bottom line for me is, rational argument, debate and analysis of anything cannot be harmful. It is only when you are driven by malice or irrational hate/dislike that it then become's unjustifiable. For instance, some people regard the title 'black' to be offensive and Racist, which I disagree on, because there is no malicious intent. Calling a black person a 'Nigger' is malicious and therefore wrong in my book.

Here's my idea. Granting special right's to ethnicities and minorities is Racist in itself, because it acknowlege's that there is a difference and because of this difference, people need to be treated differently. For instance 'Black History month' in America, is a perfect example of this. However, if we ignore the fact that we are different colour's, well not ignore, but if we accept that it is not a difinitive way to judge a person, then you eradicat Racism. Concession's whether good or bad, are ultimately immoral. If we accept eachother as fellow human being's, or by eachother's name's then the problem does not exist.

What do you guy's think?

Does someone paint over a Picasso? Would you paint over a Van Goh? Our nation's stereotypical and racial views are painting over the canvas of colors which makes our nation, the USA, so unique and bold.
As much as the world will try to fight racism, it will never die. That's what so sad about it.
I'm asian, and there are so many stereotypes thrown onto my shoulders to hold me down.
1) I have to be a bad driver even though I never will drive due to my colorblindness.
2) I have to get good grades or people will say, "I thought you were supposed to be smart."
3) I have to be athletic and skinny like all other Asians or people will call me fat.
4) I have to be really good at math and really bad at English.
5) etc.
These are all stereotypes that I have experienced being placed on me as a label. Not only a label of prejudice, but a label of difference, which is the main ingredient of what makes my country, the USA, and the rest of the world so special. So strong. So bold.
If I had the chance to tell the entire world one thing that they would hear from me, it would be this: Peel back the paint that makes the world who we are. Because without the colors of skin and the cultures and languages that we have... what makes us who we are. You know?
The entire topic of racism, the very thought of it, I always feel so... Just so bothered by it. It really means a lot to me.
vivalayeo
Posts: 142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 5:44:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 9:52:52 PM, CrysisPillar wrote:
At 8/13/2010 3:31:34 PM, vivalayeo wrote:
I want to know what you're view's are on Racism. It seem's to be a term that is used loosely, and too often now-a-day's whenever someone pretend's to be offended. Is being critical of someone else's culture, belief's and politic's deemed Racist? I alway's find that those doing the accusing are usually trying to stun debate and analysis over their core belief's. The bottom line for me is, rational argument, debate and analysis of anything cannot be harmful. It is only when you are driven by malice or irrational hate/dislike that it then become's unjustifiable. For instance, some people regard the title 'black' to be offensive and Racist, which I disagree on, because there is no malicious intent. Calling a black person a 'Nigger' is malicious and therefore wrong in my book.

Here's my idea. Granting special right's to ethnicities and minorities is Racist in itself, because it acknowlege's that there is a difference and because of this difference, people need to be treated differently. For instance 'Black History month' in America, is a perfect example of this. However, if we ignore the fact that we are different colour's, well not ignore, but if we accept that it is not a difinitive way to judge a person, then you eradicat Racism. Concession's whether good or bad, are ultimately immoral. If we accept eachother as fellow human being's, or by eachother's name's then the problem does not exist.

What do you guy's think?

Does someone paint over a Picasso? Would you paint over a Van Goh? Our nation's stereotypical and racial views are painting over the canvas of colors which makes our nation, the USA, so unique and bold.
As much as the world will try to fight racism, it will never die. That's what so sad about it.
I'm asian, and there are so many stereotypes thrown onto my shoulders to hold me down.
1) I have to be a bad driver even though I never will drive due to my colorblindness.
2) I have to get good grades or people will say, "I thought you were supposed to be smart."
3) I have to be athletic and skinny like all other Asians or people will call me fat.
4) I have to be really good at math and really bad at English.
5) etc.
These are all stereotypes that I have experienced being placed on me as a label. Not only a label of prejudice, but a label of difference, which is the main ingredient of what makes my country, the USA, and the rest of the world so special. So strong. So bold.
If I had the chance to tell the entire world one thing that they would hear from me, it would be this: Peel back the paint that makes the world who we are. Because without the colors of skin and the cultures and languages that we have... what makes us who we are. You know?
The entire topic of racism, the very thought of it, I always feel so... Just so bothered by it. It really means a lot to me.

Honestly, that's not being racist. Poking fun at stereotype's is acceptable. Like come on, I'm half Scotish, and half Irish. Are you saying you can find no cultural stereotype there that you would find a bit amusing?
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:04:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 8:48:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/13/2010 8:41:16 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Every race is racist to somebody.

Not me. In fact, I don't even identify with my races and not the least bit offended when Mexicans or French people are insulted (I'm French Mexican).

Not necessarily individuals but the races as a whole.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:08:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 6:04:29 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 8/13/2010 8:48:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/13/2010 8:41:16 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Every race is racist to somebody.

Not me. In fact, I don't even identify with my races and not the least bit offended when Mexicans or French people are insulted (I'm French Mexican).

Not necessarily individuals but the races as a whole.

That makes no sense at all, unless you mean some vague general thing from some point in time somewhere from some people.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:30:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
They're doing a CNN special on race. In a recent clip, they showed a biracial boy about aged 6 shown a handful of cartoon drawings, with each figure a different shade of skin color. They asked him who the "bad" child was, who the "smart" child was, the "nice" child, etc. He consistently chose the bad and stupid kids as black, and the smart and nice kids as white. Of course this caused quite an uproar and shocked and upset his white mother whom thought she was promoting, embracing and fostering his black heritage.

Well what about this: Suppose the kids who are just BAD in his class are black, and he's reflecting that. Is that such a terribly un-PC concept? I remember living in NY we'd get notices every month of the people released in our area for being sex offenders. No lie - almost every single one (I'd say about 95%) of the guys depicted were black. So of course when I'm walking alone at night, I might be a little more uneasy approaching a black male stranger than a white one. Does that make me racist? Or smart?

In short, I think it's common knowledge that a lot of stereotypes exist for a reason. I think overt racism is bad -- You shouldn't automatically judge someone based on their skin color, and their skin color should never be a factor in determining worth or value, or inhibiting opportunities, etc. However I think our society is *far* too PC, and I think one way to overcome racism is to get right to the point. That includes calling both races out on their BS. Just as there can be a website called "Things white people like" and poke fun at our loving Volvos, let's keep it real: black people can't tip for sh!t (I know cuz my gf's a server). And the huge chip on shoulder mentality is far more common in black people, which is just obnoxious if not downright ignorant.
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:44:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 5:37:25 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Q:How do we get rid of racism?
A: By stop talking about it.

Lol, no. Just...no. This myth of pretending that color-blindness will fix everything has to stop.

How is it a myth, by dividing ourselves into seperate camps we create the problem.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:54:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:44:56 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/13/2010 5:37:25 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Q:How do we get rid of racism?
A: By stop talking about it.

Lol, no. Just...no. This myth of pretending that color-blindness will fix everything has to stop.

How is it a myth, by dividing ourselves into seperate camps we create the problem.

So if we aren't colorblind therefore we are dividing ourselves into seperate camps? False dichotomy.

Pretending to be colorblind amounts to ignoring the problems.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:57:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:54:02 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:44:56 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/13/2010 5:37:25 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Q:How do we get rid of racism?
A: By stop talking about it.

Lol, no. Just...no. This myth of pretending that color-blindness will fix everything has to stop.

How is it a myth, by dividing ourselves into seperate camps we create the problem.

So if we aren't colorblind therefore we are dividing ourselves into seperate camps? False dichotomy.

Pretending to be colorblind amounts to ignoring the problems.

No, it's not recognizing there is a problem to start with. Since there shouldn't be divides between races...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 1:08:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yeah I think the term racism is often misused.

Stereotypes exist and are ingrained. I think even the most fervently anti-racist of us is probably still guilty of some unconscious element of racial prejudice, see innomen's thread from a few weeks ago http://www.debate.org... I wouldn't call this racism.

Racialism is the belief that there are significant, non-superficial, inherent differences between races. Racism takes this misguided idea to a further level with the rationalised belief that certain races are superior to others. http://en.wikipedia.org... http://en.wikipedia.org...

Lol @ Zets on some Uncle Ruckus shiz.
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 1:37:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Everyone is racist. Some more than others, and some who are either oblivious to their own racism or who have real feelings of hate. I would refer to the latter two as racist, the last more than the second, and anyone who actively tries to train themselves out of racism as not racist. If you're privileged, recognize it and admit it and don't pretend like you deserve it more than someone with darker skin.

There is, however, a difference between criticizing a culture and an ethnicity.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 1:40:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 6:08:12 AM, Puck wrote:
At 8/14/2010 6:04:29 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 8/13/2010 8:48:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/13/2010 8:41:16 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Every race is racist to somebody.

Not me. In fact, I don't even identify with my races and not the least bit offended when Mexicans or French people are insulted (I'm French Mexican).

Not necessarily individuals but the races as a whole.

That makes no sense at all, unless you mean some vague general thing from some point in time somewhere from some people.

It makes perfect sense. When the word "racism" is thrown around people automatically assume white people being racist toward black people/everyone else. I said every race is racist. I didn't say everybody.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 1:47:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 1:08:05 PM, feverish wrote:
Yeah I think the term racism is often misused.

Stereotypes exist and are ingrained. I think even the most fervently anti-racist of us is probably still guilty of some unconscious element of racial prejudice, see innomen's thread from a few weeks ago http://www.debate.org... I wouldn't call this racism.

I think the Lwerd was saying stereotypes can be ok/useful b/c they reflect patterns (though not necessarilly biology)

and I agree.

Racialism is the belief that there are significant, non-superficial, inherent differences between races. Racism takes this misguided idea to a further level with the rationalised belief that certain races are superior to others. http://en.wikipedia.org... http://en.wikipedia.org...

Lol @ Zets on some Uncle Ruckus shiz.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."