Jump to topic:

Mosque at ground zero

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 6:37:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Would you rather there be a Mosque near ground zero or a bordello? I think the bordello might be less offensive.

http://www.google.com...
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 7:28:47 PM
At 8/13/2010 6:37:49 PM, Freeman wrote:
Would you rather there be a Mosque near ground zero or a bordello? I think the bordello might be less offensive.

http://www.google.com...

I want the owner of the property to decide.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 8:56:29 PM
At 8/13/2010 8:22:54 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Religion is silly. I have to agree with comoncents.

That maybe a first... and last time... :p
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 10:13:21 PM
At 8/13/2010 8:56:29 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 8/13/2010 8:22:54 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Religion is silly. I have to agree with comoncents.

That maybe a first... and last time... :p

We were quite the opposites a year ago, but I seem to agree with you on a lot of what you have said in recent history. On an opposite note, I used to agree with Volkov on pretty much everything and now that I have formally abandoned liberalism we are constantly disagreeing. I guess I'm surprised when ANYONE agrees with me nowadays because I have gone quite the radical. Being a radical anarchist is great in one sense because you escape most of the criticisms of both the left an right; the downside is that its quite lonely out here! Freedo and Reasoning are the only 2 that agree with me in a general sense, but that only extends to the point that we simply want radical change. I don't think we agree very much on how that change should come.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
vivalayeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 5:46:16 AM
Obama just turned his back on his people in the name of multi-culturism. This issue should be given to the people of New York to decide. They need a vote. Anyway Obama support's the idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:22:14 AM
At 8/14/2010 5:46:16 AM, vivalayeo wrote:
Obama just turned his back on his people in the name of multi-culturism. This issue should be given to the people of New York to decide. They need a vote. Anyway Obama support's the idea.

I actually respect what he has done.
The Tea party will have a hay day, "Look bubba, I told you Obama was one of dem rag heads!"
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:25:15 AM

Does this mean I should have access to your fridge too?! Mmmm.
vivalayeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:34:23 AM
At 8/14/2010 6:25:15 AM, Puck wrote:

Does this mean I should have access to your fridge too?! Mmmm.

If you enjoy onion, beer and cheddar, then go ahead
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:39:43 AM
Obama just turned his back on his people in the name of multi-culturism. This issue should be given to the people of New York to decide.

Why? To me it does not make sense to let the people decide. It is not the peoples property. Do you want the people to decide with what to do with your piece of land?

They need a vote. Anyway Obama support's the idea.

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:50:03 AM

A bordello would be far less offensive, but let me weigh in. That I can tell, there is no legal constraint to build it. Be that as it may, it will end in disaster. This mosque will eventually be destroyed by the hands of extremists. The public perception of insult is too high not to, that someone out there will destroy it.

The insulting nature of it is summarized succinctly by Bob
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:54:31 AM
At 8/14/2010 6:50:03 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

A bordello would be far less offensive, but let me weigh in. That I can tell, there is no legal constraint to build it. Be that as it may, it will end in disaster. This mosque will eventually be destroyed by the hands of extremists. The public perception of insult is too high not to, that someone out there will destroy it.

The insulting nature of it is summarized succinctly by Bob

No, it is not. Banning the mosques due to a few alleged extremists is like excluding Germans from USA, UK, Russia, etc. due to what they did in WWII. It does not make sense.

And this guy would also be against an anger management center, so he can remain silent.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:54:33 AM
I'd prefer a bordello for a number of reasons, but I have no issues with a Mosque.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:58:01 AM
At 8/14/2010 6:45:02 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
http://i.imgur.com...

That was actually hilarious :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 9:43:42 AM
I don't see why there can't or shouldn't be a mosque if that's what the property owner wants, though it seems like a horrible investment considering it would be destroyed, vandalized, or protested -- hardly the environment you want for a place of religious worship.
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:22:07 AM
At 8/14/2010 6:25:35 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
A few western originated 9/11's at the site of a few huge and famous mosques would be a much better idea.

I really, really hate you.
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:27:27 AM
At 8/14/2010 10:22:07 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
A few western originated 9/11's at the site of a few huge and famous mosques would be a much better idea.

That's sad because I really really mean it.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 4:49:19 AM
No, it is not. Banning the mosques due to a few alleged extremists is like excluding Germans from USA, UK, Russia, etc. due to what they did in WWII. It does not make sense.:

Perhaps so, but you're going to have to appreciate the context. The average American is very upset by the imposition, for the same reason that building a statue of GWB in Iraq would be, regardless if it were under the guise of a "gesture of solidarity."

You're only viewing this from your perspective.

And this guy would also be against an anger management center, so he can remain silent.:

He's actually a comedian. This is his shtick. He has skits like this all the time (though I'm sure he is legitimately pissed off by it).
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 4:50:45 AM
At 8/14/2010 9:43:42 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I don't see why there can't or shouldn't be a mosque if that's what the property owner wants, though it seems like a horrible investment considering it would be destroyed, vandalized, or protested -- hardly the environment you want for a place of religious worship.:

Exactly. There is no legal reason to bar it, but right or wrong, bad things are going to happen if it goes up.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:29:59 PM
At 8/15/2010 12:27:27 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:22:07 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

That's sad because I really really mean it.

If you're ok with that sort of thing(destroying mosques, islamic holy sites, etc.) I suppose Muslim countries should attack the west then since the west attacked them. No more double standards!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:42:09 PM
At 8/15/2010 12:29:59 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If you're ok with that sort of thing(destroying mosques, islamic holy sites, etc.) I suppose Muslim countries should attack the west then since the west attacked them. No more double standards!
Technically, it would not be unfair. It is retaliation. Muslim nations are too forgiving. The worst thing is that there are so many lies about them that the entire world hates them instead of helping them. I think that if e.g. France attacks Saudi Arabian territories even with a tree stick, they should face consequences of full retaliation. It is the most right thing to do. It is bothering a person like me when I see people that are dear to me live oppressed lives. I ask, how can the West complain about the people there being oppressed by the politics of their countries, when they are mostly hurt by politics of Western countries?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:45:32 PM
Mirza would have any one of us killed if we tried to preach western values and atheism, christianity, buddhism, ... or anything else in Saudi Arabia.

and He's pretty much a moderate.

I think they should be allowed to build the mosque.. but I'm not happy about it.

AND would very much like to see Islam disappear from the face of the earth... and Definitely not sink deeper roots in america.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:48:36 PM
At 8/15/2010 12:45:32 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Mirza would have any one of us killed if we tried to preach western values and atheism, christianity, buddhism, ... or anything else in Saudi Arabia.
No, I would not. I am just in support of the law. Answer it simply if you will: Do you want more Muslim - non-Muslim conflicts in the Middle East?

and He's pretty much a moderate.

It is a media propaganda - the term "moderate" that we use today.
I think they should be allowed to build the mosque.. but I'm not happy about it.

AND would very much like to see Islam disappear from the face of the earth... and Definitely not sink deeper roots in america.
Wish not for the impossible.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:48:48 PM
At 8/15/2010 12:42:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
It is bothering a person like me when I see people that are dear to me live oppressed lives.

Then why do you not oppose the Saudi regime? Why would you support violent retaliation against other peoples, leading to more violence? Why do you want to oppress women as you wish to?

"Oppression" is the very antonym of freedom. You hate freedom, and admit it. You should support oppression, not be bothered by it.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:50:49 PM
At 8/15/2010 12:48:36 PM, Mirza wrote:
No, I would not. I am just in support of the law.

so... you'd pass the law if it weren't in place there.

so: you
would have any one of us killed if we tried to preach western values and atheism, christianity, buddhism, ... or anything else in Saudi Arabia
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:52:51 PM
At 8/15/2010 12:48:36 PM, Mirza wrote:
No, I would not. I am just in support of the law. Answer it simply if you will: Do you want more Muslim - non-Muslim conflicts in the Middle East?

I want to see Islam disappear from the face of the earth.

I'd like to see the saudi arabia embrace atheism... or even Jebus

ANYTHING but that allah and his bloodthirsty prophet.

Metaphysics: