Jump to topic:

Gay marriage?.. will pass!!!

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 8:51:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have done some research and find that a ban on gay marrige is unconstitutional under the 14th amendment.

What do you think?

If it goes to the supreme court it will pass.

We have 4 conservatives, 4 liberals, and one progressive who votes in favor of Gay rights every time.

By a vote of 5-4 a ban on gay marriage will not be allowed.

What do you think?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 9:03:34 PM
I think that if they (either side) let their personal views on whether or not gays should be able to marry govern their opinion, they will create a legal mess.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 9:10:06 PM
At 8/13/2010 9:03:34 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I think that if they (either side) let their personal views on whether or not gays should be able to marry govern their opinion, they will create a legal mess.

The 14th amendment will cloak their personal views, as it did with interracial marriage in the 60's.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 9:49:04 PM
At 8/13/2010 8:51:48 PM, comoncents wrote:
I have done some research and find that a ban on gay marrige is unconstitutional under the 14th amendment.

Well, Judge Comoncents, that's a fine ruling lol

What do you think?

We have 4 conservatives, 4 liberals, and one progressive who votes in favor of Gay rights every time.

What do you think?

Catch me up -> is Kagen out there yet or is she still waiting for Stevens to croak or retire? What's the difference between a progressive and a liberal? Their level of insanity?
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 9:53:05 PM
At 8/13/2010 9:49:04 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:

What do you think?

What do you think?

Catch me up -> is Kagen out there yet or is she still waiting for Stevens to croak or retire?

She is in.
It is Kennedy that will be the swing vote.

What's the difference between a progressive and a liberal? Their level of insanity?

Kennedy is the progressive one. The difference is that he was appointed by Reagan.
He is from Cal. He has sided with Gay rights but vote pretty conservatively on other things.
CrysisPillar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 9:56:18 PM
Mixed feelings.
I think that people should have the right to marry who they want, but at the same time, I find it very, very annoying when they protested and the news was full of people protesting and calling everyone homophobic.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 9:59:57 PM
Some call him conservative, others consider him a moderate and the liberal judges progressive.

Conservatives are-
1. John G. Roberts (Chief Justice)
2. Antonin Scalia
3. Clarence Thomas
4. Samuel Alito

Liberals (progressives are)-
5. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
6. Stephen Breyer
7. Sonia Sotomayor
8. Elena Kagan

The swing vote is Moderate-
9. Anthony Kennedy
He is from Sacramento, California
In office by Ronald Reagan

He authored the Court's opinion in Lawrence v. Texas, which invalidated criminal prohibitions against homosexual sodomy under the Due Process Clause of the United States Constitution, overturning the Court's previous ruling in 1986's Bowers v. Hardwick.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 10:01:11 PM
At 8/13/2010 9:53:05 PM, comoncents wrote:

What do you think?

What do you think?

Catch me up -> is Kagen out there yet or is she still waiting for Stevens to croak or retire?

She is in.

What's the difference between a progressive and a liberal? Their level of insanity?

Kennedy is the progressive one. The difference is that he was appointed by Reagan.
He is from Cal. He has sided with Gay rights but vote pretty conservatively on other things.

The problem with Kennedy is he isn't as predictable as the Conservatives say. When it comes down to his vote, I have no idea which way he'll go. In '96 he ruled against the gays... and then in 2003, he got rid of Texas's anti-sodomy law. But Kennedy and Obama haven't been "meshing well", so hopefully he doesn't side with the Conservatives to get back at the liberal President...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 10:01:55 PM
At 8/13/2010 9:59:57 PM, comoncents wrote:
Some call him conservative, others consider him a moderate and the liberal judges progressive.

Conservatives are-
1. John G. Roberts (Chief Justice)
2. Antonin Scalia
3. Clarence Thomas
4. Samuel Alito

Liberals (progressives are)-
5. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
6. Stephen Breyer
7. Sonia Sotomayor
8. Elena Kagan

The swing vote is Moderate-
9. Anthony Kennedy
He is from Sacramento, California
In office by Ronald Reagan

He authored the Court's opinion in Lawrence v. Texas, which invalidated criminal prohibitions against homosexual sodomy under the Due Process Clause of the United States Constitution, overturning the Court's previous ruling in 1986's Bowers v. Hardwick.

Oops, didn't see this. My bad for re-postin' it! >.>
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 10:04:40 PM
At 8/13/2010 10:01:11 PM, annhasle wrote:

What do you think?

What do you think?

She is in.

The problem with Kennedy is he isn't as predictable as the Conservatives say. When it comes down to his vote, I have no idea which way he'll go. In '96 he ruled against the gays... and then in 2003, he got rid of Texas's anti-sodomy law.

The law has to be on the gay side for him to be in favor.
It is with this case in Cali.
He has shown favor and with some people on the bench to back him, he will vote for it.

But Kennedy and Obama haven't been "meshing well", so hopefully he doesn't side with the Conservatives to get back at the liberal President...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 10:09:07 PM
At 8/13/2010 10:04:40 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 8/13/2010 10:01:11 PM, annhasle wrote:

What do you think?

What do you think?

She is in.

The problem with Kennedy is he isn't as predictable as the Conservatives say. When it comes down to his vote, I have no idea which way he'll go. In '96 he ruled against the gays... and then in 2003, he got rid of Texas's anti-sodomy law.

The law has to be on the gay side for him to be in favor.
It is with this case in Cali.
He has shown favor and with some people on the bench to back him, he will vote for it.

But Kennedy and Obama haven't been "meshing well", so hopefully he doesn't side with the Conservatives to get back at the liberal President...

Hopefully he meant what he said when Kagen made it. Because if it isn't a "changed court" like promised... and we still have no Gay Rights for marriage.... I'm moving to Europe.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 8:19:44 AM

What do you think?:

I agree. The Equal Protection and Due Process clauses are very broad and open to interpretation, however, I find no compelling judicial reason to bar homosexual marriage. I see the Defense of Marriage Act being shot down, and gay marriage becoming an inalienable right.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 8:21:13 AM
He is from Cal. He has sided with Gay rights but vote pretty conservatively on other things.:

So wouldn't that make him a moderate or a libertarian, or even, heaven forbid, impartial?!?!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 8:23:53 AM
At 8/14/2010 8:21:13 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
He is from Cal. He has sided with Gay rights but vote pretty conservatively on other things.:

So wouldn't that make him a moderate or a libertarian, or even, heaven forbid, impartial?!?!

A large moderate from further research.
I kind of like some of his rulings.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 8:26:56 AM
At 8/14/2010 8:23:53 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 8/14/2010 8:21:13 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

A large moderate from further research.
I kind of like some of his rulings.

I agree, he can be sort of a wild-card.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 9:46:05 AM
At 8/13/2010 9:56:18 PM, CrysisPillar wrote:
Mixed feelings.
I think that people should have the right to marry who they want, but at the same time, I find it very, very annoying when they protested and the news was full of people protesting and calling everyone homophobic.

Considering the ban is unconstitutional and unjustified, then I see no other explanation...?
President of DDO
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 8:36:34 AM
At 8/14/2010 9:46:05 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Mixed feelings.

Considering the ban is unconstitutional and unjustified, then I see no other explanation...?

Is that a little bit of Banker grammar there Lwerd? LOL
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:40:53 AM
At 8/15/2010 8:36:34 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Mixed feelings.

theLwerd is Vi_Veri is Askbob is banker is LaSalle is Lwerd is Rob1Billion
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 10:37:52 AM
At 8/14/2010 9:20:06 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This article say he could swing either way, http://www.slate.com...

Wait. So that makes 2 gay Supreme Court Justices?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 10:44:15 AM
At 8/15/2010 10:37:52 AM, Reasoning wrote:
At 8/14/2010 9:20:06 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This article say he could swing either way, http://www.slate.com...

Wait. So that makes 2 gay Supreme Court Justices?

10/10
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 11:22:47 AM
At 8/15/2010 9:40:53 AM, mongeese wrote:
At 8/15/2010 8:36:34 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Mixed feelings.

theLwerd is Vi_Veri is Askbob is banker is LaSalle is Lwerd is Rob1Billion

I'm assuming this is a joke. My identity is quite provable:

www.facebook.com/rob1billion
www.myspace.com/rob1billion
www.debate.org/rob1billion
www.youtube.com/rob1trillion - I'd like to hear how you propose I fake videos of myself lol

I can't prove Lwerd's identity but logically, since she is the top dog on DDO, then I must be masquerading as her in order to maintain that record (my record is practically worthless). To this I cannot provide evidence against. I'll accept the possibility though, that theLwerd is just a figment of my spare time where I come on DDO and defeat all the debaters.