Jump to topic:

Alan Dershowitz is a fraud

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 4:45:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Many of you are probably familiar with The Case for Israel by Alan Dershowitz. In it, he lays out the reasons why Israel, and not Palestine, is the true victim. It was a very persuasive and well-reasoned book with a lot of supporting evidence. It turns out, however, that this was at least in part due to Dershowitz's dishonest use of quotations and the many omissions he made to support his thesis. This article completely tears the book apart, proving that Dershowitz cannot be trusted : https://electronicintifada.net...

I was very disappointed upon discovering this, because I really enjoyed the book. It's a shame that Dershowitz had to taint the book with so many distortions and lies, because the book had real potential. Many of his claims are probably true, but there's no way to know which ones, making the book pretty much useless.

So my question is: for those who know a lot about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which books have you found to be the most objective? A lot of people have recommended The Righteous Victims by Benny Morris (even Norman Finkelstein endorses it). However, I would like to get some people's opinions.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:26:31 PM
At 6/25/2015 4:45:15 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Many of you are probably familiar with The Case for Israel by Alan Dershowitz. In it, he lays out the reasons why Israel, and not Palestine, is the true victim. It was a very persuasive and well-reasoned book with a lot of supporting evidence. It turns out, however, that this was at least in part due to Dershowitz's dishonest use of quotations and the many omissions he made to support his thesis. This article completely tears the book apart, proving that Dershowitz cannot be trusted : https://electronicintifada.net...

I was very disappointed upon discovering this, because I really enjoyed the book. It's a shame that Dershowitz had to taint the book with so many distortions and lies, because the book had real potential. Many of his claims are probably true, but there's no way to know which ones, making the book pretty much useless.

So my question is: for those who know a lot about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which books have you found to be the most objective? A lot of people have recommended The Righteous Victims by Benny Morris (even Norman Finkelstein endorses it). However, I would like to get some people's opinions.

im glad u discovered that he is a fake lol see this Debate between Norman Finkelstein vs Alan Dershowitz - https://www.youtube.com... this is about his book you mentioned up there. (funny version of this loolll u must watch this one D:D:D https://www.youtube.com...) - also u can watch Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein talking about Alan and his lies all over youtube...
Never fart near dog
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 7:09:51 PM
At 6/25/2015 6:26:31 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

im glad u discovered that he is a fake lol see this Debate between Norman Finkelstein vs Alan Dershowitz - https://www.youtube.com... this is about his book you mentioned up there. (funny version of this loolll u must watch this one D:D:D https://www.youtube.com...) - also u can watch Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein talking about Alan and his lies all over youtube...

I've watched that debate before. In light of the many glaring errors contained in the book, Finkelstein did a bad job of criticizing it, focusing on the petty errors while ignoring the substantial ones. For instance, he wasted time accusing him of plagiarism, which was pointless and distracting, and his "knock-down" argument consisted of identifying a minor typographical error that did not even affect Dershowitz's argument one way or the other (and was contradicted by other things he said in the book).
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 7:22:50 PM

Finklestein's rebuttal book is just as fraudulent, or worse. He couldn't have been more one-sided and nit-picky, as well as distorting historical context. I only read a few chapters (after having read Dersh's Case for Israel and being told to read Finkklestein's book in response to it) and I honestly couldn't bother to continue reading.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 7:29:32 PM
At 6/25/2015 7:22:50 PM, ben2974 wrote:

Finklestein's rebuttal book is just as fraudulent, or worse. He couldn't have been more one-sided and nit-picky, as well as distorting historical context. I only read a few chapters (after having read Dersh's Case for Israel and being told to read Finkklestein's book in response to it) and I honestly couldn't bother to continue reading.

That's why I don't take anything he says at face value - I take for granted that he is distorting or lying every chance he gets. Same goes for Chomsky.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 12:55:29 AM
Jesus Christ, this book is more fraudulent than I originally thought. Practically every argument he makes is a lie. Do not read it.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 1:20:27 AM
http://www.amazon.com...

The side with Israeli ties is really, really bad with misquoting, mistranslating, and selectively covering things, while the Arab side is more bad when it comes to appeals to emotion and semantics, though they both engage in a good deal of both. This is one of the few books on the subject that I really, really like, because it looks at it from the perspective of a land dispute (what it is) instead of wandering into the histrionics on either side of the aisle.

MEMRI is particularly bad when it comes to bias, misrepresentation, and selective coverage. I just disregard anything that even mentions that organization.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -