Jump to topic:

Affordable healthcare for American citizens

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 5:53:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What needs to be done to make health care affordable? Drugs' prices need to be drastically reduced, along with doctor visits and ER operations. I heard that subsidies will be provided for those under the affordable care act? This would make healthcare cheaper in general I suppose. But will subsidies alone correct the crux of the issue, which is extremely high market prices? I think not because subsidies will just give those who provide healthcare higher margins: they can boost prices for a higher profit, limiting the effects of subsidies while creating tax burdens on consumers.

What infrastructural changes need to be made in order to fix the issue once and for all?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 6:36:50 PM
At 6/26/2015 5:53:47 PM, ben2974 wrote:
What needs to be done to make health care affordable? Drugs' prices need to be drastically reduced, along with doctor visits and ER operations. I heard that subsidies will be provided for those under the affordable care act? This would make healthcare cheaper in general I suppose. But will subsidies alone correct the crux of the issue, which is extremely high market prices? I think not because subsidies will just give those who provide healthcare higher margins: they can boost prices for a higher profit, limiting the effects of subsidies while creating tax burdens on consumers.

What infrastructural changes need to be made in order to fix the issue once and for all?

The immediate removal of all government regulations preventing insurance companies from competing. That's the first step.

Next, the immediate removal of the subsidization of large hospitals and the immediate investment into smaller local clinics to promote competition between doctors.

Next, the immediate removal of the government ban on foreign pharma drugs.

You'll see some huge changes, and some very pissed off fatcats.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 8:03:15 PM

Don't forget tort reform
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 10:56:28 AM
At 6/26/2015 6:36:50 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

The immediate removal of all government regulations preventing insurance companies from competing. That's the first step.

Was this not how it was before? What kinds of gov't regulations restrained private healthcare prior to the ACA?

Next, the immediate removal of the subsidization of large hospitals and the immediate investment into smaller local clinics to promote competition between doctors.

Who's gonna invest in small, local clinics?

This is quite interesting. I didn't know that the US doesn't allow imported drugs.

Looks like you're totally in favor of a free market healthcare system. To be honest I have no idea how health insurance companies operate, how they interact with hospitals/doctors and the pharmaceutical industry's leverage on pricing.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 11:56:25 AM
At 6/27/2015 10:56:28 AM, ben2974 wrote:

Was this not how it was before? What kinds of gov't regulations restrained private healthcare prior to the ACA?

This is quite interesting. I didn't know that the US doesn't allow imported drugs.

Looks like you're totally in favor of a free market healthcare system. To be honest I have no idea how health insurance companies operate, how they interact with hospitals/doctors and the pharmaceutical industry's leverage on pricing.

The problem with healthcare is that it is so essential to all of us that we are willing to pay for the best care possible. If you need an organ transplant done, or chemotherapy, you will pay out your @ss for it because it's that or your life. So in light of this, I don't think competitive incentives work in favor of consumers.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 11:58:05 AM
At 6/27/2015 10:56:28 AM, ben2974 wrote:

Healthcare is a big business, and big donors will pay politicians astronomical amounts to destroy the free market.