Total Posts:90|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Slavery At Traffic Stops

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:31:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is one of the main platforms of the Tennessee candidate Basil Marceaux who takes a strong stance against slavery at traffic stops. At first glance, it may look like a humorous statement, but I find slavery at traffic stops to be a serious issue.

When stopped by police:

- you are asked for your papers,
- asked for an I.D.,
- you are forced to have a $100-$500 sticker on your bumper that you have to purchase once a year,
- your address on your license must match the address on your insurance papers,
- you must have an up to date proof of insurance,
- you are forced to renew your license every 4 years,
- you are forced to follow arbitrary speed limits,
- and a million other things.

Failure to comply with any of these results in either physical or monetary enslavement inflicted by the police.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:33:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:31:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
This is one of the main platforms of the Tennessee candidate Basil Marceaux who takes a strong stance against slavery at traffic stops. At first glance, it may look like a humorous statement, but I find slavery at traffic stops to be a serious issue.

When stopped by police:

- you are asked for your papers,
- asked for an I.D.,
- you are forced to have a $100-$500 sticker on your bumper that you have to purchase once a year,
- your address on your license must match the address on your insurance papers,
- you must have an up to date proof of insurance,
- you are forced to renew your license every 4 years,
- you are forced to follow arbitrary speed limits,
- and a million other things.

Failure to comply with any of these results in either physical or monetary enslavement inflicted by the police.

Basil Marceaux is HILARIOUS.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:31:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
This is one of the main platforms of the Tennessee candidate Basil Marceaux who takes a strong stance against slavery at traffic stops. At first glance, it may look like a humorous statement, but I find slavery at traffic stops to be a serious issue.

When stopped by police:

- you are asked for your papers,
- asked for an I.D.,
- you are forced to have a $100-$500 sticker on your bumper that you have to purchase once a year,
- your address on your license must match the address on your insurance papers,
- you must have an up to date proof of insurance,
- you are forced to renew your license every 4 years,
- you are forced to follow arbitrary speed limits,
- and a million other things.

Failure to comply with any of these results in either physical or monetary enslavement inflicted by the police.

so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.
signature
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:38:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:

so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.

This.

Regulations help to prevent accidents thus saving lives.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:45:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:
so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.

The issue isn't requiring insurance and qualified drivers, it's the strict requirements for proving these things.

Another example is that you can't have unlabeled pills in your car because the COP may mistake them for an illegal drug (which is really none of their business regardless). So this law (yes, it's required by law to have prescriptions in your car) is for us to abide by because the cop might make the mistake and is for their convenience.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:46:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:38:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:

so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.

This.

Regulations help to prevent accidents thus saving lives.

It's neither the right nor the obligation of the government to regulate people's lives to save them from themselves.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:47:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:
so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
Because going for a five minute road test with a schmuck from the government means you're qualified?
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
I didn't see him say that there shouldn't be a "road tax," seeing as though that doesn't have anything to do with traffic stop slavery.
- not have to be insured.
Right. I agree with this. Is someone wants to pay out of his/her own pocket instead of being mandated to buy insurance, that person should be allowed to do so.
- not have to follow speed limits.
Setting laws against going faster than some arbitrary speed is just silly imo.
you're crazy.
No you are :P
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:46:21 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:38:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:

so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.

This.

Regulations help to prevent accidents thus saving lives.

It's neither the right nor the obligation of the government to regulate people's lives to save them from themselves.

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.
signature
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:50:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Speed limits rob Americans of their freedom to turn their fellow citizens into roadkill. If a child wants to get run over, who are we to deny them their liberty?
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:51:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:
speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

http://www.cracked.com...
Cracked disagrees. Arbitrary limits are arbitrary.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:52:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:47:29 PM, Nags wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:
so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
Because going for a five minute road test with a schmuck from the government means you're qualified?

ours are about 20-30 mins and i'd consider myself a fairly good driver and i failed the damn thing.. so yeah.

- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
I didn't see him say that there shouldn't be a "road tax," seeing as though that doesn't have anything to do with traffic stop slavery.

what about having to have the sticker on the car.

- not have to be insured.
Right. I agree with this. Is someone wants to pay out of his/her own pocket instead of being mandated to buy insurance, that person should be allowed to do so.

and what happens if that person hasn't the cash to do so?

- not have to follow speed limits.
Setting laws against going faster than some arbitrary speed is just silly imo.

what?

you're crazy.
No you are :P

your last point tells me you are.
signature
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:52:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:46:21 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:38:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:

so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.

This.

Regulations help to prevent accidents thus saving lives.

It's neither the right nor the obligation of the government to regulate people's lives to save them from themselves.

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Quarantining every single citizen in an expansive government facility might stop crime entirely, since everyone is isolated in a quarantine vault. That would save lives from dangerous people.

Thing is, you completely dodged the argument that the government doesn't have that regulatory right.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:52:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:50:50 PM, feverish wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Speed limits rob Americans of their freedom to turn their fellow citizens into roadkill. If a child wants to get run over, who are we to deny them their liberty?

they're a twisted crowd aren't they..
signature
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:55:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:50:50 PM, feverish wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Speed limits rob Americans of their freedom to turn their fellow citizens into roadkill. If a child wants to get run over, who are we to deny them their liberty?

Exactly. My neighbour's f*cking kid won't move so I'm going to run it over!
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:56:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:50:50 PM, feverish wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Speed limits rob Americans of their freedom to turn their fellow citizens into roadkill.
If a child wants to get run over, who are we to deny them their liberty?

You know what? You're right. In fact, I think that we ought to raise taxes to make sure that every child has a police escort 24/7. If we do that, the child will never make any irresponsible decisions, and will always be safe!
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:56:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:46:21 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:38:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:

so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.

This.

Regulations help to prevent accidents thus saving lives.

It's neither the right nor the obligation of the government to regulate people's lives to save them from themselves.

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Noy really. I remember reading about how a state temporarily removed all of it's speed limits and traffic accident rate stayed pretty much the same.

(It was actually lowered by a few fractions of a percent.)
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:57:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:52:18 PM, badger wrote:
ours are about 20-30 mins and i'd consider myself a fairly good driver and i failed the damn thing.. so yeah.
Once again, this 20-30 minute road test does not qualify you as a good driver even if you do pass.
what about having to have the sticker on the car.
What sticker? Like the inspection sticker date or whatever? Get rid of that.
and what happens if that person hasn't the cash to do so?
It's that person's fault, not mine.
- not have to follow speed limits.
Setting laws against going faster than some arbitrary speed is just silly imo.
what?
Some joe-schmo from the government determining at what speed is safe and not safe for driving is not sound policy.
you're crazy.
No you are :P
your last point tells me you are.
Indubitably.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 5:58:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:56:03 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:50:50 PM, feverish wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Speed limits rob Americans of their freedom to turn their fellow citizens into roadkill.
If a child wants to get run over, who are we to deny them their liberty?

You know what? You're right. In fact, I think that we ought to raise taxes to make sure that every child has a police escort 24/7. If we do that, the child will never make any irresponsible decisions, and will always be safe!

it's all money with you.. i really doubt you actually believe any of this sh1t.
signature
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 6:00:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:58:06 PM, badger wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:56:03 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:50:50 PM, feverish wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Speed limits rob Americans of their freedom to turn their fellow citizens into roadkill.
If a child wants to get run over, who are we to deny them their liberty?

You know what? You're right. In fact, I think that we ought to raise taxes to make sure that every child has a police escort 24/7. If we do that, the child will never make any irresponsible decisions, and will always be safe!

it's all money with you..

You have to extract money from citizens so that you can provide them with valuable services for which they would never pay voluntarily.

i really doubt you actually believe any of this sh1t.

I'm an Objectivist. You can be sure of that.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 6:03:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't think anyone would want to live in an area where people could drive down residential streets at 70+mph.

Speed limits are a guideline and I would say that they shouldn't be enforced too rigidly. Obviously I break them all the time, if I judge that it is safe to do so, but the signs and speed cameras do encourage me to check my speed.

I think some limit is definitely necessary or the roads would be absolute carnage and people could recklessly endanger others with impunity.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 6:04:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 6:01:59 PM, badger wrote:
i'm not even gonna argue with you people.. you're all bat sh1t crazy.

Saying that again and again doesn't make it any truer each time you say it.

Furthermore, you've not even bothered to prove that we're "crazy". Seems to me like the only thing that's keeping you from arguing is the fact that you're unable to come up with a substantive response.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 6:07:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:56:17 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:46:21 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:38:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:

so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.

This.

Regulations help to prevent accidents thus saving lives.

It's neither the right nor the obligation of the government to regulate people's lives to save them from themselves.

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Noy really. I remember reading about how a state temporarily removed all of it's speed limits and traffic accident rate stayed pretty much the same.

(It was actually lowered by a few fractions of a percent.)

prove it.
signature
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 6:13:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 6:07:51 PM, badger wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:56:17 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:46:21 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:38:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:

so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.

This.

Regulations help to prevent accidents thus saving lives.

It's neither the right nor the obligation of the government to regulate people's lives to save them from themselves.

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Noy really. I remember reading about how a state temporarily removed all of it's speed limits and traffic accident rate stayed pretty much the same.

(It was actually lowered by a few fractions of a percent.)

prove it.

I would, but I heard it a long time ago on TV and don't remember what it was on.

Why do you seem to think that without speed limits people will drive like maniacs?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 6:14:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 5:52:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:48:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:46:21 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:38:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/15/2010 5:37:28 PM, badger wrote:

so you'd rather we let people
- not have to be qualified to drive a car
- not have to pay what i assume is road tax which i only hope goes to the maintenance and building of roads.
- not have to be insured.
- not have to follow speed limits.

you're crazy.

This.

Regulations help to prevent accidents thus saving lives.

It's neither the right nor the obligation of the government to regulate people's lives to save them from themselves.

speed limits save people's lives from dangerous drivers.

Quarantining every single citizen in an expansive government facility might stop crime entirely, since everyone is isolated in a quarantine vault. That would save lives from dangerous people.

so you think there should be no laws whatsoever?

Thing is, you completely dodged the argument that the government doesn't have that regulatory right.

why doesn't it? what's the bloody point of government if not to protect us from each other.. you doing 150mph down the middle of a town is obviously gonna cause harm to others and should be prevented.
signature