Jump to topic:

Gay Pride Taken too far?

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:34:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, I came across this article the other day {http://www.youngcons.com...} Basically this article consist of gay people mocking god. They are dressed in his clothing, some have a thorn crown upon their head, and one person Is upon the cross kissing his boyfriend.

Now, I am a Christian, but I have nothing against gay people. They have the right to love who they want. But is the act of mocking god way out of line? What's your opinion?
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:37:40 PM
Mocking a christian god should be punishable by death.

Mocking mohammed is cool, f-k that f-king foreign c-t, I hope he comes near my house so I can blow his face off with a shotgun like charlie hebdo.

(Heavy handed sarcasm. Pick a side, either you can or can't mock a god. I say you can't and charlie hebdo is wrong)
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:45:29 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:34:54 PM, Lee001 wrote:
So, I came across this article the other day {http://www.youngcons.com...} Basically this article consist of gay people mocking god. They are dressed in his clothing, some have a thorn crown upon their head, and one person Is upon the cross kissing his boyfriend.

Now, I am a Christian, but I have nothing against gay people. They have the right to love who they want. But is the act of mocking god way out of line? What's your opinion?

I think gay pride itself is a silly idea since straight people don't have straight pride... but I guess you could say it's a reaction to long-term discrimination.

With that said, while mocking god in this manner may be out of line, I don't think it's a problem with gay pride itself. There are many atheists who, despite not being LGBT or particularly concerned with LGBT rights, would do similar things.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:47:30 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:45:29 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

I think gay pride itself is a silly idea since straight people don't have straight pride... but I guess you could say it's a reaction to long-term discrimination.

With that said, while mocking god in this manner may be out of line, I don't think it's a problem with gay pride itself. There are many atheists who, despite not being LGBT or particularly concerned with LGBT rights, would do similar things.

I agree there is nothing wrong with gay pride. But gay's want support from the Christian community, but yet they have enough courage to mock God publicly? That doesn't sound like they are seeking support from Christians. It's like they are just rubbing it in peoples faces.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:47:41 PM
Gay pride isn't about being gay, it's about being proud of who you are (which is also stupid, since if you're religious God chose that and religious worship IS ALREADY pride and thanking him, or thanking... nature)
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:49:49 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:47:41 PM, smelisox wrote:
Gay pride isn't about being gay, it's about being proud of who you are (which is also stupid, since if you're religious God chose that and religious worship IS ALREADY pride and thanking him, or thanking... nature)

I agree. People cant help being gay. I personally believe people are born homosexual.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:50:41 PM
It's like being born black and being proud of that. You literally had no say in that!
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:51:48 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:47:30 PM, Lee001 wrote:

I agree there is nothing wrong with gay pride. But gay's want support from the Christian community, but yet they have enough courage to mock God publicly? That doesn't sound like they are seeking support from Christians. It's like they are just rubbing it in peoples faces.

Those guys don't represent the LGBT community. They're just an extremist faction within it, and that faction could be minor. Rather than saying that gay pride has gone too far, I'd think it would be more fair to say that a segment of the people who participate in gay pride parades have gone too far.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:51:57 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:50:41 PM, smelisox wrote:
It's like being born black and being proud of that. You literally had no say in that!

Lol...

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:54:52 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:51:48 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Those guys don't represent the LGBT community. They're just an extremist faction within it, and that faction could be minor. Rather than saying that gay pride has gone too far, I'd think it would be more fair to say that a segment of the people who participate in gay pride parades have gone too far.

But it all falls under the same category "Gay Pride". I think its safe the say that the main majority of Gays do things in spite of Christians. Just like this article above. Why on earth would you mock God, unless your doing it in spite, knowing you will upset and anger Christians.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:54:52 PM

This is more of an issue of freedom of expression, than LGBT movement. Personally I think it is in bad taste, but they are well within their rights to do this. And necessarily so.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:55:50 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:54:52 PM, Envisage wrote:

This is more of an issue of freedom of expression, than LGBT movement. Personally I think it is in bad taste, but they are well within their rights to do this. And necessarily so.

I agree. But again, like I said before, they are just doing this stuff in spite of Christians.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 1:58:49 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:55:50 PM, Lee001 wrote:

I agree. But again, like I said before, they are just doing this stuff in spite of Christians.

Not necessarily. Seems they are doing it to spite Christianity, rather than Christians themselves. That is usually the case when satire is thrown at religion.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:01:11 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:58:49 PM, Envisage wrote:

Not necessarily. Seems they are doing it to spite Christianity, rather than Christians themselves. That is usually the case when satire is thrown at religion.

I just don't understand how they want support from Christians, yet they turn around and do something like this knowing its going to cause issues.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:02:20 PM
At 7/1/2015 2:01:11 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 7/1/2015 1:58:49 PM, Envisage wrote:

I just don't understand how they want support from Christians, yet they turn around and do something like this knowing its going to cause issues.

Who said that the people that did this do want that support? We don't know their thoughts or motivations. We are just left guessing.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:33:38 PM
Of course they're not out of line. The Bible says that gays should be murdered; any respect shown to Christianity by gays is an undeserved gift.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:39:50 PM
I think this is their revenge for years of discrimination by Christianity. Religion is one of the main reasons for anti-gay movements.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:57:18 PM
At 7/1/2015 2:39:50 PM, XLAV wrote:
I think this is their revenge for years of discrimination by Christianity. Religion is one of the main reasons for anti-gay movements.

+1

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 4:52:41 PM

Oh god, how tacky and infantile.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 4:53:07 PM
At 7/1/2015 4:52:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Are you being serious, or not? lol.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 4:54:18 PM
At 7/1/2015 4:53:07 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Yes. They're behaving like petulant children. It's embarrassing, and in very bad taste.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 4:54:58 PM
At 7/1/2015 4:54:18 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/1/2015 4:53:07 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Yes. They're behaving like petulant children. It's embarrassing, and in very bad taste.

Okay, in that case I completely agree with you.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 5:22:29 PM
Yet depictions of Mohammed being arseraped is "clever", "art" and "freedom of expression".

Double-standards.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 9:04:36 PM
At 7/1/2015 1:54:52 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 7/1/2015 1:51:48 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

But it all falls under the same category "Gay Pride". I think its safe the say that the main majority of Gays do things in spite of Christians. Just like this article above. Why on earth would you mock God, unless your doing it in spite, knowing you will upset and anger Christians.

I am gay, and I agree this was in poor taste. But is it any worse than the attorney in California who tried to get an initiative in the ballot titled "The Sodomy Supression Act" which called for execution of any homosexual "by an immediate bullet to the head, or any such means readily available"? Or supposedly Christian ministers calling for death to homosexuals or condemning them to hell? Or laws banning same sex marriage? Or bullying of gay people of any age?

Gay pride is not about pride in the fact one is gay. It is about taking pride in standing up to bigotry and discrimination.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 10:36:56 PM

Haha those pictures are great. I <3 blasphemy
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 10:50:44 PM

We're coming to get you (>;,,;)>
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Surrealism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 1:07:55 AM

Well, you can't treat gays as a sort of monolithic movement. Perhaps you might interpret these actions as being taken too far. But you can't extend that to the entire Gay Pride community, many of which undoubtably wouldn't do something like this.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 9:19:36 AM
A bit distasteful, but no more distasteful than those using that religion to deny them the rights they deserve. At the end of the day, that picture makes most people roll their eyes. What Christians do prevents them from getting equality. A bit of a difference.

But, it's free speech.

I've seen worse from rebelling Atheists.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 9:23:50 AM
back in the 1980s Aids was spreading rapidly through the gay population. but not spreading through the monogamous straight population.
There was this idea that if gay men could marry each other they might become monogamous. Straight people didn't take this seriously.
They were too busy talking about how AIDS might a plague that God sent down here to express his opinion about homosexuality. Christian preachers tended to agree with this theory. This started a war between the gays and the religious.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 11:57:22 AM
At 7/1/2015 10:50:44 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

We're coming to get you (>;,,;)>

Only you can, no one else.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3