Jump to topic:

The Internet and Feminism

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 2:40:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think we can all agree that the internet is a pretty liberal place. When it comes to feminism, however, the internet seems to deviate from the liberal norm, passionately rejecting feminism and its claims about woman's oppressed role in modern society. Everywhere I turn, I see otherwise liberal people bashing feminists with more vitriol than they typically bash the religious right. What is the psychology behind this? Is it because the internet is disproportionately male and males don't like being told they are evil oppressors, so that when they are allowed to congregate in one place without fear of "female monitoring", so to speak, they show their true colors? Or could it be that by permitting themselves to have an opinion of their own which disagrees with the established liberal position, internet liberals can feel more "high-minded" and "nuanced"?
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 2:51:44 AM
At 7/9/2015 2:40:59 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
I think we can all agree that the internet is a pretty liberal place. When it comes to feminism, however, the internet seems to deviate from the liberal norm, passionately rejecting feminism and its claims about woman's oppressed role in modern society. Everywhere I turn, I see otherwise liberal people bashing feminists with more vitriol than they typically bash the religious right. What is the psychology behind this? Is it because the internet is disproportionately male and males don't like being told they are evil oppressors, so that when they are allowed to congregate in one place without fear of "female monitoring", so to speak, they show their true colors? Or could it be that by permitting themselves to have an opinion of their own which disagrees with the established liberal position, internet liberals can feel more "high-minded" and "nuanced"?

Or, you know, they disagree with feminism.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 2:52:49 AM
At 7/9/2015 2:51:44 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Or, you know, they disagree with feminism.

Why them, and not other liberals?
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 6:44:47 AM

It's because the internet's left is generally split into a small, authoritarian left (centered mostly in Tumblr, the bad parts of Twitter and feminist websites) that is open to repressive ideologies like SJW feminism, and a larger libertarian left (centered mostly everywhere else, but most prominently in Reddit) that, while left-leaning, strongly reject ideologies like SJW feminism. This libertarian left is so strongly opposed to SJW feminism because SJW feminism is a repressive, authoritarian ideology that is based on blatantly incorrect ideas and 'facts' and seeks to censor speech and control how people live. Strictly speaking, especially on the internet SJW feminism is much more common than the religious right, so naturally there will be more conflict.
Nicoszon_the_Great
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 11:32:14 AM

A large part of it is that you have people like Anita Sarkeesian who's an immoral conman and a general liar who is attacking a very popular media format under the guise of Feminism and using a huge thrall of 'feminists' to verbally abuse dissenters. I understand that there are some messed up people trolling her but the fact that anyone's surprised by such things shows an ignorance of what the internet actually is. people+anonymity=c"cknuggets