Jump to topic:

Gerrymandering - Florida

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:29:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yesterday, the Florida Supreme Court overturned redistricting passed in 2012 by the Republican-controlled state legislature.

a 2012 redistricting map drawn by the Republican-led Legislature had been tainted by "unconstitutional intent to favor the Republican Party and incumbent lawmakers," and that Republican "operatives" and political consultants "did in fact conspire to manipulate and influence the redistricting process."

http://www.nytimes.com...

Now I must say, when is redistricting not favoring the party in power? This is a decision inconsistent with all that goes on in many US state legislatures. I'm not saying this was bad - it was great: as well as absolutely unexpected. If redistricting finally started to move towards non-partisan bias (therefore the lack of bias), that'd be a good step in the right direction.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:50:15 PM
At 7/10/2015 10:29:37 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Yesterday, the Florida Supreme Court overturned redistricting passed in 2012 by the Republican-controlled state legislature.

a 2012 redistricting map drawn by the Republican-led Legislature had been tainted by "unconstitutional intent to favor the Republican Party and incumbent lawmakers," and that Republican "operatives" and political consultants "did in fact conspire to manipulate and influence the redistricting process."

Now I must say, when is redistricting not favoring the party in power? This is a decision inconsistent with all that goes on in many US state legislatures. I'm not saying this was bad - it was great: as well as absolutely unexpected. If redistricting finally started to move towards non-partisan bias (therefore the lack of bias), that'd be a good step in the right direction.

I am confident a computer algorithm could be coded to match population to square miles, and divide it up in non partisan fashion. We just happen to enjoy showing how well we can try to hide instance of Gerrymandering when we do it.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:38:17 AM

The basis of the decision was that it violated a 2010 amendment to Florida's state constitution, not the federal constitution. So, "all that goes on in many US state legislatures" isn't really relevant. The Florida court's opinion specifically cites this text from that amendment:

Specifically, article III, section 20, of the Florida Constitution, provides in its entirety as follows:

In establishing congressional district boundaries: (a) No apportionment plan or individual district shall be drawn with the intent to favor or disfavor a political party or an incumbent; and districts shall not be drawn with the intent or result of denying or abridging the equal opportunity of racial or language minorities to participate in the political process or to diminish their ability to elect representatives of their choice; and districts shall consist of contiguous territory.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:27:40 AM
At 7/11/2015 2:38:17 AM, Death23 wrote:

The basis of the decision was that it violated a 2010 amendment to Florida's state constitution, not the federal constitution. So, "all that goes on in many US state legislatures" isn't really relevant. The Florida court's opinion specifically cites this text from that amendment:

Specifically, article III, section 20, of the Florida Constitution, provides in its entirety as follows:

In establishing congressional district boundaries: (a) No apportionment plan or individual district shall be drawn with the intent to favor or disfavor a political party or an incumbent; and districts shall not be drawn with the intent or result of denying or abridging the equal opportunity of racial or language minorities to participate in the political process or to diminish their ability to elect representatives of their choice; and districts shall consist of contiguous territory.

To be honest, I didn't think they'd honor their laws on the matter - even if it did favor a party: especially when the Florida Supreme Court is also a Republican majority.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King