Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why is Alcohol legal?

sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Alcohol is both more physically harmful and more dependence-inducing than Cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy, and Anabolic Steroids. It's more harmful, too, than Tobacco. [1] Alcoholism is a rampant disorder: In 2012, approximately "7.2 percent or 17 million adults in the United States ages 18 and older" had an Alcohol Use Disorder. [2]

Largely because of its legal status, Alcohol is often seen as a more 'casual' drug, and it is common for people to drink 'socially'... however, the average amount which a significant portion of the population drinks actually constitutes binge drinking. [3] 10% of the American population consumes over ~70 drinks per week, while the criteria for a binge drinker is someone who drinks over around ~4.5 drinks on one occasion. [4] Nobody would consider it especially unusual for someone to drink 5 drinks in one night, but what is commonly in many circles considered "normal" is actually a serious drug-related dependency disorder which is bound to lead to - often terminal - disease as well as emotional distress and commonly the breaking apart of families. [6]

"Separated and divorced men and women are three times as likely to say their spouse was alcoholic or had a drinking problem than men and women who are still married."

"Some 75 percent of husbands or wives who abuse their spouses have been drinking prior to or at the time of the abuse."

"Children of alcoholics are at high risk for developing problems with alcohol and other drugs; they often do poorly at school, live with pervasive tension and stress, have high levels of anxiety and depression and experience coping problems."

Alcoholism is one of the most common addictions in the world today, and Alcohol abuse is also one of the most dangerous disorders, due to its extreme proclivity for leading to serious and often terminal diseases. [5]

"The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that alcohol is linked to more than 60 types of disease and injury: it causes 20-30% of worldwide incidences of esophageal cancer, liver cancer and cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, murder and motor vehicle accidents. It causes 1.8 million deaths and contributes to 58.3 million of life years worldwide that are lost to disability."

[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://1.usa.gov...
[3] http://wapo.st...
[4] http://bit.ly...
[5] http://bit.ly...
[6] http://bit.ly...
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:09:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Are you wondering why alcohol is legal or are you wondering why other things not as bad as it are illegal?
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:14:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:09:55 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Are you wondering why alcohol is legal or are you wondering why other things not as bad as it are illegal?

I'm questioning the logic of the system. Either way seems like the same question. But I don't want to take a "pro-Alcohol" stance; like, "Alcohol is okay and so are these others, so legalize them!" Because Alcohol isn't all that fine.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:29:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:14:10 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:09:55 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Are you wondering why alcohol is legal or are you wondering why other things not as bad as it are illegal?

I'm questioning the logic of the system. Either way seems like the same question. But I don't want to take a "pro-Alcohol" stance; like, "Alcohol is okay and so are these others, so legalize them!" Because Alcohol isn't all that fine.

Well, I mean, that basically points out why they're different questions - one focuses on why other substances are illegal while the other focuses on why alcohol is legal. They're both fundamentally biased towards different types of discussion - legalization of drugs vs. prohibition of alcohol.

To answer the OP, I don't think that there's any reason to outlaw suicide, so I see no problem with alcohol being legal - I wouldn't bat an eye if heroin was sold over-the-counter, either.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:41:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:29:46 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
To answer the OP, I don't think that there's any reason to outlaw suicide, so I see no problem with alcohol being legal - I wouldn't bat an eye if heroin was sold over-the-counter, either.

Should murder be legal? Why suicide if not murder?
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
kp98
Posts: 729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 7:08:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I believe they tried to make alcohol illegal once....
The reason why alcohol is legal and, say, dope isn't is historical, not logical. If alcohol (and nicotine) had been discovered recently I very much doubt they would be legal.

I think making smoking (tobacco) illegal could just become possible in a few decades as (at least in the UK) smoking is becoming less socially acceptable and - in general - smokers concede smoking is stupid and dirty habit they'd be better off without. As a smoker myself, I might welcome an added incentive to give up!

Alcohol is going to be around a lot longer, because most people enjoy a drink and most people don't over-indulge. Moderate drinkers would not accept being foced into being 'dry' the way smokers might accept being forced to go without getting cancer.

I think alcohol is a dangerous drug and without doubt without centuries of familiarity is would be regulated far more rigorously than it is. But I don't think it can be made illegal in any forseeable timescale. Any attempt to do so today would be as counter-productive as it was in the '30s.
ironslippers
Posts: 513
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:59:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Alcohol is both more physically harmful and more dependence-inducing than Cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy, and Anabolic Steroids. It's more harmful, too, than Tobacco. [1] Alcoholism is a rampant disorder: In 2012, approximately "7.2 percent or 17 million adults in the United States ages 18 and older" had an Alcohol Use Disorder. [2]

Largely because of its legal status, Alcohol is often seen as a more 'casual' drug, and it is common for people to drink 'socially'... however, the average amount which a significant portion of the population drinks actually constitutes binge drinking. [3] 10% of the American population consumes over ~70 drinks per week, while the criteria for a binge drinker is someone who drinks over around ~4.5 drinks on one occasion. [4] Nobody would consider it especially unusual for someone to drink 5 drinks in one night, but what is commonly in many circles considered "normal" is actually a serious drug-related dependency disorder which is bound to lead to - often terminal - disease as well as emotional distress and commonly the breaking apart of families. [6]

"Separated and divorced men and women are three times as likely to say their spouse was alcoholic or had a drinking problem than men and women who are still married."

"Some 75 percent of husbands or wives who abuse their spouses have been drinking prior to or at the time of the abuse."

"Children of alcoholics are at high risk for developing problems with alcohol and other drugs; they often do poorly at school, live with pervasive tension and stress, have high levels of anxiety and depression and experience coping problems."

Alcoholism is one of the most common addictions in the world today, and Alcohol abuse is also one of the most dangerous disorders, due to its extreme proclivity for leading to serious and often terminal diseases. [5]

"The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that alcohol is linked to more than 60 types of disease and injury: it causes 20-30% of worldwide incidences of esophageal cancer, liver cancer and cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, murder and motor vehicle accidents. It causes 1.8 million deaths and contributes to 58.3 million of life years worldwide that are lost to disability."

[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://1.usa.gov...
[3] http://wapo.st...
[4] http://bit.ly...
[5] http://bit.ly...
[6] http://bit.ly...

Historically alchohol consisted of wines and ciders (low alcohol content) and was drink by ALL. Distilling wasn't used till the 18th century (high alcohol content) and it took an additional century to recognize the damge of its use. Because of more than a millineum of widely consumed spirits and the simple denial of the problems of alcohol it's become worldwide accepted by most factions of society, kings, clergy, educators, etc.

Alcohol has become the yardstick of making other substances illegal before they become generally socially acceptable
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 8:39:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:41:08 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:29:46 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
To answer the OP, I don't think that there's any reason to outlaw suicide, so I see no problem with alcohol being legal - I wouldn't bat an eye if heroin was sold over-the-counter, either.

Should murder be legal? Why suicide if not murder?

Individual autonomy - murder extends a claim on the life of someone else, while suicide only affects oneself.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
plants
Posts: 52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 9:21:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Alcohol is both more physically harmful and more dependence-inducing than Cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy, and Anabolic Steroids. It's more harmful, too, than Tobacco. [1] Alcoholism is a rampant disorder: In 2012, approximately "7.2 percent or 17 million adults in the United States ages 18 and older" had an Alcohol Use Disorder. [2]

Largely because of its legal status, Alcohol is often seen as a more 'casual' drug, and it is common for people to drink 'socially'... however, the average amount which a significant portion of the population drinks actually constitutes binge drinking. [3] 10% of the American population consumes over ~70 drinks per week, while the criteria for a binge drinker is someone who drinks over around ~4.5 drinks on one occasion. [4] Nobody would consider it especially unusual for someone to drink 5 drinks in one night, but what is commonly in many circles considered "normal" is actually a serious drug-related dependency disorder which is bound to lead to - often terminal - disease as well as emotional distress and commonly the breaking apart of families. [6]

"Separated and divorced men and women are three times as likely to say their spouse was alcoholic or had a drinking problem than men and women who are still married."

"Some 75 percent of husbands or wives who abuse their spouses have been drinking prior to or at the time of the abuse."

"Children of alcoholics are at high risk for developing problems with alcohol and other drugs; they often do poorly at school, live with pervasive tension and stress, have high levels of anxiety and depression and experience coping problems."

Alcoholism is one of the most common addictions in the world today, and Alcohol abuse is also one of the most dangerous disorders, due to its extreme proclivity for leading to serious and often terminal diseases. [5]

"The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that alcohol is linked to more than 60 types of disease and injury: it causes 20-30% of worldwide incidences of esophageal cancer, liver cancer and cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, murder and motor vehicle accidents. It causes 1.8 million deaths and contributes to 58.3 million of life years worldwide that are lost to disability."

[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://1.usa.gov...
[3] http://wapo.st...
[4] http://bit.ly...
[5] http://bit.ly...
[6] http://bit.ly...

Do you honestly believe that making alcohol legal will solve alcoholism? Look back to prohibition? That clearly didn't go well and ought not to be attempted again.

Sure, alcohol is bad. That doesn't mean keeping it legal is bad.
raju332
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 10:24:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
alcohol is legal just because the government get more tax from buyers and manufacture. they have nothing to do with the normal people.
in nepal more people are under the poverty line...they can hardly arrange the both time meals. drinking is like taking drug...once you get into it, you can hardly get out of it...you hav been totaly addicted to it. you know that drinking making your life difficult still you can not give up. whether they have nothing to it at home....their children are starving...no matter to them. all they want is to get drunk.
sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 12:23:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 8:39:16 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:41:08 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:29:46 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
To answer the OP, I don't think that there's any reason to outlaw suicide, so I see no problem with alcohol being legal - I wouldn't bat an eye if heroin was sold over-the-counter, either.

Should murder be legal? Why suicide if not murder?

Individual autonomy - murder extends a claim on the life of someone else, while suicide only affects oneself.

I think this means that we'd both agree on the conclusion that ultimately all drugs should be separate from state control. However, another question might be how far 'autonomy' is really a factor where addiction and mind-altering drugs are concerned. For instance, if someone were very deep into an addiction, while forcefully removing them from access to that drug would breach their "autonomy", I think we could safely assume that eventually they would be thankful for the decision. I'm just not sure any more about the tactic of framing everything in terms of violence versus freedom.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 12:31:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 9:21:47 PM, plants wrote:
Do you honestly believe that making alcohol legal will solve alcoholism? Look back to prohibition? That clearly didn't go well and ought not to be attempted again.

Sure, alcohol is bad. That doesn't mean keeping it legal is bad.

I'm trying to point out the fact of just how bad alcohol is compared to so many other things which aren't legal.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
plants
Posts: 52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 12:37:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 12:31:27 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/12/2015 9:21:47 PM, plants wrote:
Do you honestly believe that making alcohol legal will solve alcoholism? Look back to prohibition? That clearly didn't go well and ought not to be attempted again.

Sure, alcohol is bad. That doesn't mean keeping it legal is bad.

I'm trying to point out the fact of just how bad alcohol is compared to so many other things which aren't legal.

That's fine. I think you gave the thread a crappy name though because making alcohol illegal wouldn't work out.

When Colorado legalized marijuana, they saw a sharp decrease in alcohol use which I believe is one of the benefits of legalizing weed. The impairment one has through the use of marijuana is much less dangerous than the impairment one has through the use of alcohol.

Alcohol gives one a false sense of courage. If I get hammered at a party and need to get home, I'm going to tell myself I am capable of driving well, though I certainly am not. On the other hand, if I simply get high, I have a strong understanding that I am impaired. I will likely ask someone for a ride or drive very carefully myself.

So, when weed is legalized and people opt for getting high over getting drunk, less drunk people are on the streets. When marijuana became legal in Colorado car accidents decreased by like 9 percent if I remember correctly. That is a huge number.

Making alcohol illegal will cause more problems than not but I can agree that decreased alcohol use via other means is a great thing.
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 1:25:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 12:23:59 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/12/2015 8:39:16 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:41:08 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:29:46 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
To answer the OP, I don't think that there's any reason to outlaw suicide, so I see no problem with alcohol being legal - I wouldn't bat an eye if heroin was sold over-the-counter, either.

Should murder be legal? Why suicide if not murder?

Individual autonomy - murder extends a claim on the life of someone else, while suicide only affects oneself.

I think this means that we'd both agree on the conclusion that ultimately all drugs should be separate from state control. However, another question might be how far 'autonomy' is really a factor where addiction and mind-altering drugs are concerned. For instance, if someone were very deep into an addiction, while forcefully removing them from access to that drug would breach their "autonomy", I think we could safely assume that eventually they would be thankful for the decision. I'm just not sure any more about the tactic of framing everything in terms of violence versus freedom.

It doesn't matter if they would be thankful for the results - they must choose to want them for it to be moral for them to be obtained. Self-destruction is wholly the right of each person, regardless of how useless it is. This case *is* about violence vs. freedom, so I don't see the problem with framing it as such.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
18Karl
Posts: 351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 1:28:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Alcohol is both more physically harmful and more dependence-inducing than Cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy, and Anabolic Steroids. It's more harmful, too, than Tobacco. [1] Alcoholism is a rampant disorder: In 2012, approximately "7.2 percent or 17 million adults in the United States ages 18 and older" had an Alcohol Use Disorder. [2]

Largely because of its legal status, Alcohol is often seen as a more 'casual' drug, and it is common for people to drink 'socially'... however, the average amount which a significant portion of the population drinks actually constitutes binge drinking. [3] 10% of the American population consumes over ~70 drinks per week, while the criteria for a binge drinker is someone who drinks over around ~4.5 drinks on one occasion. [4] Nobody would consider it especially unusual for someone to drink 5 drinks in one night, but what is commonly in many circles considered "normal" is actually a serious drug-related dependency disorder which is bound to lead to - often terminal - disease as well as emotional distress and commonly the breaking apart of families. [6]

"Separated and divorced men and women are three times as likely to say their spouse was alcoholic or had a drinking problem than men and women who are still married."

"Some 75 percent of husbands or wives who abuse their spouses have been drinking prior to or at the time of the abuse."

"Children of alcoholics are at high risk for developing problems with alcohol and other drugs; they often do poorly at school, live with pervasive tension and stress, have high levels of anxiety and depression and experience coping problems."

Alcoholism is one of the most common addictions in the world today, and Alcohol abuse is also one of the most dangerous disorders, due to its extreme proclivity for leading to serious and often terminal diseases. [5]

"The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that alcohol is linked to more than 60 types of disease and injury: it causes 20-30% of worldwide incidences of esophageal cancer, liver cancer and cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, murder and motor vehicle accidents. It causes 1.8 million deaths and contributes to 58.3 million of life years worldwide that are lost to disability."

[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://1.usa.gov...
[3] http://wapo.st...
[4] http://bit.ly...
[5] http://bit.ly...
[6] http://bit.ly...

horse piss has to go somewhere, rite?
praise the lord Chin Chin
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 2:25:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Mm...banning alcohol...prohibition worked so well before...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 3:24:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 1:25:04 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
It doesn't matter if they would be thankful for the results - they must choose to want them for it to be moral for them to be obtained. Self-destruction is wholly the right of each person, regardless of how useless it is. This case *is* about violence vs. freedom, so I don't see the problem with framing it as such.

Why would it be immoral if in the end all parties involved would agree that this course of action led to preferable consequences?
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 3:27:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 3:24:52 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/13/2015 1:25:04 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
It doesn't matter if they would be thankful for the results - they must choose to want them for it to be moral for them to be obtained. Self-destruction is wholly the right of each person, regardless of how useless it is. This case *is* about violence vs. freedom, so I don't see the problem with framing it as such.

Why would it be immoral if in the end all parties involved would agree that this course of action led to preferable consequences?

Because the decision isn't being made after such an agreement happens. The decision is made when, presumably, the alcoholic doesn't want to stop drinking and doesn't see the benefits of doing so. What matters is his consent, not the reasons for his consent.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 3:28:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 2:25:56 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Mm...banning alcohol...prohibition worked so well before...

So I wonder if yourself and all these people just saying "It's obvious because prohibition doesn't work" will agree that it never works for the government to prohibit anything. Or can you find distinguishing features that make your argument apply to alcohol only? What is so special about alcohol that makes it impossible to prohibit, while other things aren't?
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 3:38:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 3:27:37 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/13/2015 3:24:52 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/13/2015 1:25:04 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
It doesn't matter if they would be thankful for the results - they must choose to want them for it to be moral for them to be obtained. Self-destruction is wholly the right of each person, regardless of how useless it is. This case *is* about violence vs. freedom, so I don't see the problem with framing it as such.

Why would it be immoral if in the end all parties involved would agree that this course of action led to preferable consequences?

Because the decision isn't being made after such an agreement happens. The decision is made when, presumably, the alcoholic doesn't want to stop drinking and doesn't see the benefits of doing so. What matters is his consent, not the reasons for his consent.

How is that what matters? It doesn't matter to the "aggressor" nor the addict, who both preferred the decision you're categorizing as "immoral".
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 4:54:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 3:38:42 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/13/2015 3:27:37 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/13/2015 3:24:52 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/13/2015 1:25:04 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
It doesn't matter if they would be thankful for the results - they must choose to want them for it to be moral for them to be obtained. Self-destruction is wholly the right of each person, regardless of how useless it is. This case *is* about violence vs. freedom, so I don't see the problem with framing it as such.

Why would it be immoral if in the end all parties involved would agree that this course of action led to preferable consequences?

Because the decision isn't being made after such an agreement happens. The decision is made when, presumably, the alcoholic doesn't want to stop drinking and doesn't see the benefits of doing so. What matters is his consent, not the reasons for his consent.

How is that what matters? It doesn't matter to the "aggressor" nor the addict, who both preferred the decision you're categorizing as "immoral".

They prefer the outcome, but, obviously, at the point in time where they decide whether or not that outcome comes about by the drunkard own free will, the drunkard will prefer to keep drinking. It obviously matters to him that he be free to drink.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 5:04:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 4:54:29 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
They prefer the outcome, but, obviously, at the point in time where they decide whether or not that outcome comes about by the drunkard own free will, the drunkard will prefer to keep drinking. It obviously matters to him that he be free to drink.

Of course since he's not consenting, he doesn't consent, so he doesn't prefer it in that instant. But why should I care whether he consents? Violating his consent is better for everyone. I'm not sure what your argument is, really.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 7:44:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Alcohol is both more physically harmful and more dependence-inducing than Cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy, and Anabolic Steroids. It's more harmful, too, than Tobacco. [1] Alcoholism is a rampant disorder: In 2012, approximately "7.2 percent or 17 million adults in the United States ages 18 and older" had an Alcohol Use Disorder. [2]

Largely because of its legal status, Alcohol is often seen as a more 'casual' drug, and it is common for people to drink 'socially'... however, the average amount which a significant portion of the population drinks actually constitutes binge drinking. [3] 10% of the American population consumes over ~70 drinks per week, while the criteria for a binge drinker is someone who drinks over around ~4.5 drinks on one occasion. [4] Nobody would consider it especially unusual for someone to drink 5 drinks in one night, but what is commonly in many circles considered "normal" is actually a serious drug-related dependency disorder which is bound to lead to - often terminal - disease as well as emotional distress and commonly the breaking apart of families. [6]

"Separated and divorced men and women are three times as likely to say their spouse was alcoholic or had a drinking problem than men and women who are still married."

"Some 75 percent of husbands or wives who abuse their spouses have been drinking prior to or at the time of the abuse."

"Children of alcoholics are at high risk for developing problems with alcohol and other drugs; they often do poorly at school, live with pervasive tension and stress, have high levels of anxiety and depression and experience coping problems."

Alcoholism is one of the most common addictions in the world today, and Alcohol abuse is also one of the most dangerous disorders, due to its extreme proclivity for leading to serious and often terminal diseases. [5]

"The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that alcohol is linked to more than 60 types of disease and injury: it causes 20-30% of worldwide incidences of esophageal cancer, liver cancer and cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, murder and motor vehicle accidents. It causes 1.8 million deaths and contributes to 58.3 million of life years worldwide that are lost to disability."

[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://1.usa.gov...
[3] http://wapo.st...
[4] http://bit.ly...
[5] http://bit.ly...
[6] http://bit.ly...

While one could cite a plethora or ancillary reasons, there really is only one main reason why it is illegal.

A law prohibiting it is completely unenforcable.

If one can make booze by simply throwing in grape skins in sugary water and waiting a week, then there is not much one can do to prevent that.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 12:21:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Because they tried making it illegal, and that didn't work. That was back in the 1920s, by 1933 they had to give up.
Banning alcohol violates the law of supply and demand. The liquor stores were closed, but most people had a habit of buying it. The demand was still there, even though the supply was cut off.
In the Appalcian mountains the hillbillies made their own whiskey. If you went up there and bought some and brought it down to the towns were it had recently become unavailable, people would buy it from you, and the price would be way more than you paid for it because of supply and demand.
This was the birth of a new industry. If you could figure out how to bring alcohol into a place where people couldn't get it, you would just gotta make more money that doing anything that was legal.
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 2:22:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Alcohol is both more physically harmful and more dependence-inducing than Cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy, and Anabolic Steroids. It's more harmful, too, than Tobacco. [1] Alcoholism is a rampant disorder: In 2012, approximately "7.2 percent or 17 million adults in the United States ages 18 and older" had an Alcohol Use Disorder. [2]

Largely because of its legal status, Alcohol is often seen as a more 'casual' drug, and it is common for people to drink 'socially'... however, the average amount which a significant portion of the population drinks actually constitutes binge drinking. [3] 10% of the American population consumes over ~70 drinks per week, while the criteria for a binge drinker is someone who drinks over around ~4.5 drinks on one occasion. [4] Nobody would consider it especially unusual for someone to drink 5 drinks in one night, but what is commonly in many circles considered "normal" is actually a serious drug-related dependency disorder which is bound to lead to - often terminal - disease as well as emotional distress and commonly the breaking apart of families. [6]

"Separated and divorced men and women are three times as likely to say their spouse was alcoholic or had a drinking problem than men and women who are still married."

"Some 75 percent of husbands or wives who abuse their spouses have been drinking prior to or at the time of the abuse."

"Children of alcoholics are at high risk for developing problems with alcohol and other drugs; they often do poorly at school, live with pervasive tension and stress, have high levels of anxiety and depression and experience coping problems."

Alcoholism is one of the most common addictions in the world today, and Alcohol abuse is also one of the most dangerous disorders, due to its extreme proclivity for leading to serious and often terminal diseases. [5]

"The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that alcohol is linked to more than 60 types of disease and injury: it causes 20-30% of worldwide incidences of esophageal cancer, liver cancer and cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, murder and motor vehicle accidents. It causes 1.8 million deaths and contributes to 58.3 million of life years worldwide that are lost to disability."

[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://1.usa.gov...
[3] http://wapo.st...
[4] http://bit.ly...
[5] http://bit.ly...
[6] http://bit.ly...

Because people should have personal freedom, we should have the right to choose what we do and don't ingest into our body. The idea that taking some fruit or potatoes and fermenting them and then consuming them should be a crime is ridiculous. Now if I commit a crime while intoxicated then arrest me and charge me with said crime. But don't tell me I can't drink because I "might" commit a crime because I also might not, and most drinkers are not abusive nor are they alcoholics.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 3:38:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Alcohol is both more physically harmful and more dependence-inducing than Cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy, and Anabolic Steroids. It's more harmful, too, than Tobacco. [1] Alcoholism is a rampant disorder: In 2012, approximately "7.2 percent or 17 million adults in the United States ages 18 and older" had an Alcohol Use Disorder. [2]

Largely because of its legal status, Alcohol is often seen as a more 'casual' drug, and it is common for people to drink 'socially'... however, the average amount which a significant portion of the population drinks actually constitutes binge drinking. [3] 10% of the American population consumes over ~70 drinks per week, while the criteria for a binge drinker is someone who drinks over around ~4.5 drinks on one occasion. [4] Nobody would consider it especially unusual for someone to drink 5 drinks in one night, but what is commonly in many circles considered "normal" is actually a serious drug-related dependency disorder which is bound to lead to - often terminal - disease as well as emotional distress and commonly the breaking apart of families. [6]

"Separated and divorced men and women are three times as likely to say their spouse was alcoholic or had a drinking problem than men and women who are still married."

"Some 75 percent of husbands or wives who abuse their spouses have been drinking prior to or at the time of the abuse."

"Children of alcoholics are at high risk for developing problems with alcohol and other drugs; they often do poorly at school, live with pervasive tension and stress, have high levels of anxiety and depression and experience coping problems."

Alcoholism is one of the most common addictions in the world today, and Alcohol abuse is also one of the most dangerous disorders, due to its extreme proclivity for leading to serious and often terminal diseases. [5]

"The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that alcohol is linked to more than 60 types of disease and injury: it causes 20-30% of worldwide incidences of esophageal cancer, liver cancer and cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, murder and motor vehicle accidents. It causes 1.8 million deaths and contributes to 58.3 million of life years worldwide that are lost to disability."

[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://1.usa.gov...
[3] http://wapo.st...
[4] http://bit.ly...
[5] http://bit.ly...
[6] http://bit.ly...

It't all about moderation, amigo.

That is, drinking responsibly.

OK..so about 7% of the US adult population allegedly have a problem with abusing alcohol.

If my math serves, then that means about 90% DO NOT have a problem.

Nine out of ten. Why ban something that nine out of ten users do so responsibly? And without any physical or mental maladies?

Besides, we saw how well alcohol prohibition worked back in the 1920s and 30s. LOL.

MORE people actually drank. MORE deaths. And the government was deprived of all that taxable income. For no good reason.

Lastly, your claim that booze if more injurious than LSD and Ecstasy is very arguable.

And far more people die every year from smoking-related causes than booze-related.

Banning any consumable because of a minority of folks abuse it indeed leads us on a slippery slope.

What next? Fast Food? Soft drinks?

Beware the Nanny State, my friends.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
sadolite
Posts: 8,841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 4:34:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Alcohol is both more physically harmful and more dependence-inducing than Cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy, and Anabolic Steroids. It's more harmful, too, than Tobacco. [1] Alcoholism is a rampant disorder: In 2012, approximately "7.2 percent or 17 million adults in the United States ages 18 and older" had an Alcohol Use Disorder. [2]

Largely because of its legal status, Alcohol is often seen as a more 'casual' drug, and it is common for people to drink 'socially'... however, the average amount which a significant portion of the population drinks actually constitutes binge drinking. [3] 10% of the American population consumes over ~70 drinks per week, while the criteria for a binge drinker is someone who drinks over around ~4.5 drinks on one occasion. [4] Nobody would consider it especially unusual for someone to drink 5 drinks in one night, but what is commonly in many circles considered "normal" is actually a serious drug-related dependency disorder which is bound to lead to - often terminal - disease as well as emotional distress and commonly the breaking apart of families. [6]

"Separated and divorced men and women are three times as likely to say their spouse was alcoholic or had a drinking problem than men and women who are still married."

"Some 75 percent of husbands or wives who abuse their spouses have been drinking prior to or at the time of the abuse."

"Children of alcoholics are at high risk for developing problems with alcohol and other drugs; they often do poorly at school, live with pervasive tension and stress, have high levels of anxiety and depression and experience coping problems."

Alcoholism is one of the most common addictions in the world today, and Alcohol abuse is also one of the most dangerous disorders, due to its extreme proclivity for leading to serious and often terminal diseases. [5]

"The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that alcohol is linked to more than 60 types of disease and injury: it causes 20-30% of worldwide incidences of esophageal cancer, liver cancer and cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, murder and motor vehicle accidents. It causes 1.8 million deaths and contributes to 58.3 million of life years worldwide that are lost to disability."

[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://1.usa.gov...
[3] http://wapo.st...
[4] http://bit.ly...
[5] http://bit.ly...
[6] http://bit.ly...

Um, constitutional amendment I believe is why it is legal. Wasn't always legal, they called it prohibition. If you want to make it illegal you have to ratify constitution. But I don't think you have to do that anymore, you just need activist supreme court judges now. They can just rule the amendment unconstitutional. No need for 2/3 majority in all 50 states.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 5:06:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 7:44:54 AM, Envisage wrote:

A law prohibiting it is completely unenforcable.

If one can make booze by simply throwing in grape skins in sugary water and waiting a week, then there is not much one can do to prevent that.

Like jaywalking. You'll only get caught if you throw cigars at a policeman then grab his gun.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 12:51:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2015 6:14:10 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:09:55 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:02:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
Short post wondering why Alcohol is legal:

Are you wondering why alcohol is legal or are you wondering why other things not as bad as it are illegal?

I'm questioning the logic of the system. Either way seems like the same question. But I don't want to take a "pro-Alcohol" stance; like, "Alcohol is okay and so are these others, so legalize them!" Because Alcohol isn't all that fine.

I for one never really got into the whole drinking culture. Koreans drink very, VERY heavily, and IMHO it's no coincidence that that country also has the highest suicide rate in the world.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?