Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Constitutional Law

Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 5:53:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why Proposition 8 will be ruled unconstitutional (in video form).

For those people out there who are curious about the legal arguments in the prop 8 case, but who do not want to read Judge Walker's 136 page ruling on the matter (or my slightly more modest 4 page essay), then there is a way you can still be informed.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 8:44:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
He sounds like my dad only on the other side.

I tuned him out halfway through the rant, I listened to this guy tho so I caould learn more on how to get him to STFU.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 11:07:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/19/2010 5:53:15 PM, Freeman wrote:
Why Proposition 8 will be ruled unconstitutional (in video form).

For those people out there who are curious about the legal arguments in the prop 8 case, but who do not want to read Judge Walker's 136 page ruling on the matter

I have read it.
I agree with most things in it.

(or my slightly more modest 4 page essay), then there is a way you can still be informed.

lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 1:15:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/19/2010 11:08:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
You have to read it to understand it.

Wait why? Thats a lot of readin prolly written in jargon I would never understand so how could that make me understand?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 4:37:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 1:15:37 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/19/2010 11:08:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
You have to read it to understand it.

Wait why? Thats a lot of readin prolly written in jargon I would never understand so how could that make me understand?

Oh God forbid they actually use proper English and legal terms.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 7:45:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 4:37:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 1:15:37 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/19/2010 11:08:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
You have to read it to understand it.

Wait why? Thats a lot of readin prolly written in jargon I would never understand so how could that make me understand?

Oh God forbid they actually use proper English and legal terms.

Haha - my thoughts exactly. God forbid, right? Why don't you try expanding your vernacular instead of expecting everything to be dumbed down for you? o.O
President of DDO
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 8:43:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 7:45:21 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/20/2010 4:37:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 1:15:37 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/19/2010 11:08:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
You have to read it to understand it.

Wait why? Thats a lot of readin prolly written in jargon I would never understand so how could that make me understand?

Oh God forbid they actually use proper English and legal terms.

Haha - my thoughts exactly. God forbid, right? Why don't you try expanding your vernacular instead of expecting everything to be dumbed down for you? o.O

There does seem to be an unnecessary tendency to over complicate the language when it could be simply summarized. It isn't about dumbing down as much as communicating clearly, plainly, and succinctly. theL, you're going into law yes? Your mind may be more geared toward the "vernacular" than most. Personally, i just don't have the patience.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:14:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 1:15:37 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/19/2010 11:08:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
You have to read it to understand it.

Wait why?

I am going to go to Law school and I enjoy it.

Thats a lot of readin prolly written in jargon I would never understand

The document is long but necessary to law; the "jargon" is not difficult when you use your reasoning in reading it.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:22:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
That guy is adorable (in the video from the OP haha). But he kinda reminds me of Dane Cook so he's borderline douchey. Good points nonetheless.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:27:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 8:43:49 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2010 7:45:21 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/20/2010 4:37:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 1:15:37 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/19/2010 11:08:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
You have to read it to understand it.

Wait why? Thats a lot of readin prolly written in jargon I would never understand so how could that make me understand?

Oh God forbid they actually use proper English and legal terms.

Haha - my thoughts exactly. God forbid, right? Why don't you try expanding your vernacular instead of expecting everything to be dumbed down for you? o.O

There does seem to be an unnecessary tendency to over complicate the language when it could be simply summarized. It isn't about dumbing down as much as communicating clearly, plainly, and succinctly. theL, you're going into law yes? Your mind may be more geared toward the "vernacular" than most. Personally, i just don't have the patience.

Because they're supposed to use legal terms since they're kinda, y'know, judges. Point to a difficult piece from a Judges note on a case.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:31:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 8:43:49 AM, innomen wrote:
theL, you're going into law yes? Your mind may be more geared toward the "vernacular" than most. Personally, i just don't have the patience.

I'm all about layman's terms, but sometimes a particular subject isn't exactly difficult to understand or comprehend based on the terminology, and is simply written in plain English which people don't feel like admitting they're too lazy to take the time to read and comprehend. We know Walker's position on the case; he gave his ruling and a synopsis of his reasoning. But to understand his entire position with direct references to particular laws, you're probably going to have to read the entire document :|
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:32:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ps. I doubt I'm going into law haha I wish I was though. It was the plan for awhile but I don't have the time or money after all >.<
President of DDO
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:43:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 9:27:07 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 8:43:49 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2010 7:45:21 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/20/2010 4:37:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 1:15:37 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/19/2010 11:08:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
You have to read it to understand it.

Wait why? Thats a lot of readin prolly written in jargon I would never understand so how could that make me understand?

Oh God forbid they actually use proper English and legal terms.

Haha - my thoughts exactly. God forbid, right? Why don't you try expanding your vernacular instead of expecting everything to be dumbed down for you? o.O

There does seem to be an unnecessary tendency to over complicate the language when it could be simply summarized. It isn't about dumbing down as much as communicating clearly, plainly, and succinctly. theL, you're going into law yes? Your mind may be more geared toward the "vernacular" than most. Personally, i just don't have the patience.

Because they're supposed to use legal terms since they're kinda, y'know, judges. Point to a difficult piece from a Judges note on a case.

No kidding, really? Point is, there should be a non-legaleezed summary of a legal decision that involves the constitution. The constitution isn't written in complicated language, it isn't such a stretch that decisions based on that cannot be done similarly, or at least summarized similarly. There is a real problem imo with the legal profession writing code that only they can understand. Look at our tax code.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 10:09:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 9:43:22 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2010 9:27:07 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 8:43:49 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2010 7:45:21 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/20/2010 4:37:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 1:15:37 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/19/2010 11:08:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
You have to read it to understand it.

Wait why? Thats a lot of readin prolly written in jargon I would never understand so how could that make me understand?

Oh God forbid they actually use proper English and legal terms.

Haha - my thoughts exactly. God forbid, right? Why don't you try expanding your vernacular instead of expecting everything to be dumbed down for you? o.O

There does seem to be an unnecessary tendency to over complicate the language when it could be simply summarized. It isn't about dumbing down as much as communicating clearly, plainly, and succinctly. theL, you're going into law yes? Your mind may be more geared toward the "vernacular" than most. Personally, i just don't have the patience.

Because they're supposed to use legal terms since they're kinda, y'know, judges. Point to a difficult piece from a Judges note on a case.

No kidding, really? Point is, there should be a non-legaleezed summary of a legal decision that involves the constitution. The constitution isn't written in complicated language, it isn't such a stretch that decisions based on that cannot be done similarly, or at least summarized similarly. There is a real problem imo with the legal profession writing code that only they can understand. Look at our tax code.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 10:58:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I want people to speak clearly about what they are saying. I don't want jargon and everything being thrown around. I can tell for example PCP is very smart and makes good points...too bad I can't understand a wrod.

Its not so much that I'm dumb because on average I'm smarter than most, I just don't feel the need to deal with complicated ways of speaking when the same message could be sent speaking normally.

I apologize for my bad grammar last night it was late and I wasn't paying attention plus I was really tired.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 11:01:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 9:43:22 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2010 9:27:07 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 8:43:49 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/20/2010 7:45:21 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/20/2010 4:37:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 1:15:37 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/19/2010 11:08:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
You have to read it to understand it.

Wait why? Thats a lot of readin prolly written in jargon I would never understand so how could that make me understand?

Oh God forbid they actually use proper English and legal terms.

Haha - my thoughts exactly. God forbid, right? Why don't you try expanding your vernacular instead of expecting everything to be dumbed down for you? o.O

There does seem to be an unnecessary tendency to over complicate the language when it could be simply summarized. It isn't about dumbing down as much as communicating clearly, plainly, and succinctly. theL, you're going into law yes? Your mind may be more geared toward the "vernacular" than most. Personally, i just don't have the patience.

Because they're supposed to use legal terms since they're kinda, y'know, judges. Point to a difficult piece from a Judges note on a case.

No kidding, really? Point is, there should be a non-legaleezed summary of a legal decision that involves the constitution. The constitution isn't written in complicated language, it isn't such a stretch that decisions based on that cannot be done similarly, or at least summarized similarly. There is a real problem imo with the legal profession writing code that only they can understand. Look at our tax code.

Wikipedia exists for a reason.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 11:02:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 10:58:20 AM, lovelife wrote:
I want people to speak clearly about what they are saying. I don't want jargon and everything being thrown around. I can tell for example PCP is very smart and makes good points...too bad I can't understand a wrod.

Yes, because PCP is trying to be superior by using standard theological and philosophical terms.

I apologize for my bad grammar last night it was late and I wasn't paying attention plus I was really tired.

And we care?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 11:03:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 11:02:30 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 10:58:20 AM, lovelife wrote:
I want people to speak clearly about what they are saying. I don't want jargon and everything being thrown around. I can tell for example PCP is very smart and makes good points...too bad I can't understand a wrod.

Yes, because PCP is trying to be superior by using standard theological and philosophical terms.


I know...I don't see why he or anyone else can't post in clear english.

I apologize for my bad grammar last night it was late and I wasn't paying attention plus I was really tired.

And we care?

Just saying. Even now when I'm just kinda rushed and kinda tired I know my grammar is terrible.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2010 2:32:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Anyone who seriously thinks Prop 8 is unconstitutional, or gay marriage in general for that matter, REALLY, REALLY needs to read the Goodridge case.

http://news.findlaw.com...
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2010 6:51:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/21/2010 2:32:56 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
Anyone who seriously thinks Prop 8 is unconstitutional, or gay marriage in general for that matter, REALLY, REALLY needs to read the Goodridge case.

http://news.findlaw.com...

In general, what's significant about the Goodridge case.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright