Jump to topic:

Food Stamp Recipient Compared to Animals

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 12:32:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
"The Oklahoma Republican Party has removed a post from its official Facebook page that said giving people food stamps is akin to feeding animals in national parks."

Veterans, single working mothers and fathers, elderly, and many others use food stamps due to their economic position(can't find a good job, little money, etc). Why would the republican party say such a thing? Is what they say true? Do you ascribe to the belief that feeding animals in national parks is analogous to giving people food stamps? Does that statement about poor people given the republican party change your opinion about said party?

http://abc7chicago.com...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 12:49:46 PM
At 7/15/2015 12:32:08 PM, SamStevens wrote:
"The Oklahoma Republican Party has removed a post from its official Facebook page that said giving people food stamps is akin to feeding animals in national parks."

Veterans, single working mothers and fathers, elderly, and many others use food stamps due to their economic position(can't find a good job, little money, etc). Why would the republican party say such a thing? Is what they say true? Do you ascribe to the belief that feeding animals in national parks is analogous to giving people food stamps? Does that statement about poor people given by the republican party change your opinion about said party?

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Gmork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:17:59 PM

Veterans, single working mothers and fathers, elderly, and many others use food stamps due to their economic position(can't find a good job, little money, etc). Why would the republican party say such a thing? Is what they say true? Do you ascribe to the belief that feeding animals in national parks is analogous to giving people food stamps? Does that statement about poor people given the republican party change your opinion about said party?

The statement was likely said to compare the dependency aspect of the program, implying that, like animals at the park, if you give someone food, they are less inclined to acquire it themselves. I believe there is some truth to this, but how much is up for debate. The viewpoint focuses on the moral hazard and those that would rather be moochers than fend for themselves, which these people are indeed on welfare, but that is not everyone on welfare, either. It changes nothing in my view of the GOP nor the people bemoaning the comment.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:13:08 PM
At 7/15/2015 12:49:46 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Veterans, single working mothers and fathers, elderly, and many others use food stamps due to their economic position(can't find a good job, little money, etc). Why would the republican party say such a thing? Is what they say true? Do you ascribe to the belief that feeding animals in national parks is analogous to giving people food stamps? Does that statement about poor people given by the republican party change your opinion about said party?

It just cements my opinion of the GOP in general and the Oklahoma Republican Party in particular.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:14:41 PM
They weren't actually saying that people on welfare are animals; rather, they used animals to demonstrate their point. Denouncing them for making such a comparison is below the belt, in my opinion.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:25:19 PM
At 7/15/2015 3:14:41 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
They weren't actually saying that people on welfare are animals; rather, they used animals to demonstrate their point. Denouncing them for making such a comparison is below the belt, in my opinion.

If anything, the fact that this actually made the news proves that the Media is utterly biased and deserves to have been sued by the GOP thousands of times.

The DDO Blog:

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:26:51 PM

Right because putting Disney animals in feelgood movies and showing how much apes care for their young is okay but don't show the violent selfish side of nature please; that's not in the Disney filter.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:30:35 PM
At 7/15/2015 3:13:08 PM, dhardage wrote:

It just cements my opinion of the GOP in general and the Oklahoma Republican Party in particular.

Do you like Disney movies?
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:52:32 PM

They should have thought of that before they spoke. Seems republicans have a BAD habit of that.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:03:48 PM
At 7/15/2015 3:52:32 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

They should have thought of that before they spoke. Seems republicans have a BAD habit of that.

How about you, do you like Disney movies?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:10:20 PM
At 7/15/2015 3:30:35 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Non-sequitur. One has nothing to do with the other.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:12:18 PM
At 7/15/2015 4:10:20 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 7/15/2015 3:30:35 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Non-sequitur. One has nothing to do with the other.

The image of animals has alot to do with Disney culture, especially in the realm of anthropomorphism.
It's a harmless question about your opinion, you don't have to dig in like a turtle.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:56:02 AM

No, it isn't below the belt. The comparison to animals was either intentionally pejorative or inexcusably negligent. My cynicism inclines me to suspect the former.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 10:09:23 AM
At 7/18/2015 1:56:02 AM, Death23 wrote:

No, it isn't below the belt. The comparison to animals was either intentionally pejorative or inexcusably negligent. My cynicism inclines me to suspect the former.

It really is below the belt. They were using park animals to demonstrate a point about dependency. Zero people should be offended by this; the fact that Liberals have been rallied against this guy is part of the normal political process of smearing the opposition, and both sides do it.

The DDO Blog:

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 10:32:41 AM
So far, good discussion.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:21:16 PM
At 7/18/2015 10:09:23 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

It really is below the belt. They were using park animals to demonstrate a point about dependency. Zero people should be offended by this; the fact that Liberals have been rallied against this guy is part of the normal political process of smearing the opposition, and both sides do it.

If they wanted to make a point about dependency they could have done so without comparing SNAP recipients to animals. It's insulting to compare people to animals. I don't even see what's below the belt about criticizing the comparison. "Below the belt" usually refers to fighting dirty... using unfair tactics in a contest. Nothing about this strikes me as unfair. They said it, and they acknowledged that it was a mistake by taking it down.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:35:14 PM
At 7/18/2015 1:21:16 PM, Death23 wrote:

If they wanted to make a point about dependency they could have done so without comparing SNAP recipients to animals. It's insulting to compare people to animals. I don't even see what's below the belt about criticizing the comparison. "Below the belt" usually refers to fighting dirty... using unfair tactics in a contest. Nothing about this strikes me as unfair. They said it, and they acknowledged that it was a mistake by taking it down.

It was a good illustration, and that's probably what it was intended as; can you think of a better, "less offensive" one?
It's dirty because an otherwise unoffensive remark sparked controversy through the Media that aroused the emotions of its Liberal base.

The DDO Blog:

Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:42:17 PM
At 7/18/2015 1:35:14 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 7/18/2015 1:21:16 PM, Death23 wrote:

It was a good illustration, and that's probably what it was intended as; can you think of a better, "less offensive" one?
It's dirty because an otherwise unoffensive remark sparked controversy through the Media that aroused the emotions of its Liberal base.

OK you apparently do not agree that comparing people to animals is offensive because you're saying that the remark was not offensive even though it compared people to animals. In any case, the article the OP listed doesn't say specifically what the remark actually was. I think knowing exactly what they said would be useful.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 3:16:29 PM

Wow. That is a bit harsh and unfair I think.

I am all for welfare reform, and believe everybody who is able should contribute to society and do what they can in order to support themselves. I have railed here on these very Forums against the rise of the Entitlement State. The Nanny State.

But hell, some people simply need help once in awhile. And those who do certainly should not be compared to animals.

Then again, consider the source! LOL Oklahoma conservatives! And probably Southern Baptists, to boot.

WWJD?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 10:42:08 PM

Change my opinion? No. Because Democrat and Republican leadership both are overrun by crooks and hypocrites. They pile on support for pre employment drug testing while most nations have deemed it a violation of basic human rights and essentially pointlessy nevertheless. All the while, no elected official has to pee in a cup and share it with a possible nonwell trained tester basing results on a test that has been proven unreliable and and is a gross violation of the 4th Amendment. Iwant the President, members of Congress, and members of the Senate to publically share with the people a clean golden stream.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 9:02:54 AM

I thought they were comparing actions and behaviors and policies, not people.

Anyhow, I wonder if instead of using animals for comparison, they used the scammy false homeless beggars instead? You don't want to slander the animals comparing them to liberals.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 10:54:59 AM

http://ironicdisciple.com...

I'm sure this is similar to the post removed. Indefinite welfare for able-bodied people hurts us as a society more than it helps us. We encourage their dependence on us, while making them less able (or willing) to fend for themselves. It seems an appropriate comparison, IMO.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:01:14 AM

Denouncing them for the comparison is disrespecting animals, IMO. Animals =/> humans.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass