Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Slave reparations

Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:45:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.

Are these people you met Americans? What did we ever do to the Jews that would require reparations?
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:47:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:45:42 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.

Are these people you met Americans? What did we ever do to the Jews that would require reparations?

I think they're referring to the holocaust. That wasn't America though, that was Germany.
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:49:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:45:42 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.

Are these people you met Americans? What did we ever do to the Jews that would require reparations?

I guess I should clarify. Reparations in the sense that we force another group to make up for what "they" did to modern day Jews' ancestors. One said something along the lines of, since the Middle Easterners and Egyptians screwed the Jews over, they had to be forced to make up for it, ie in the form of an Israeli state. So the reparations aren't necessarily coming from us but the position is that America takes action to make them happen.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:51:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:49:37 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:45:42 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.

Are these people you met Americans? What did we ever do to the Jews that would require reparations?

I guess I should clarify. Reparations in the sense that we force another group to make up for what "they" did to modern day Jews' ancestors. One said something along the lines of, since the Middle Easterners and Egyptians screwed the Jews over, they had to be forced to make up for it, ie in the form of an Israeli state. So the reparations aren't necessarily coming from us but the position is that America takes action to make them happen.

Ah. Well that is a rather inconsistent position. I don't know how they can reconcile those two views.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:52:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:47:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:45:42 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.

Are these people you met Americans? What did we ever do to the Jews that would require reparations?

I think they're referring to the holocaust. That wasn't America though, that was Germany.

*points up* Not in the sense that we did anything but in the sense that we should help them make up for it. Though seeing as America was responsible in one case and not the other you'd think that'd make a difference.

And it was both Holocaust and slavery, as well as I guess other general stuff.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:56:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.



I agree, however, if a group is still suffering significant injustice directly as a result of their ancestors suffering an injustice (for example, not having access to generations upon generations of wealth buildup) a case can definitely be made for reparations.

IE: "We're not going to pay your family, because it was just your mother that was a slave, and she's dead. You weren't a slave, so you don't get reparations."

"But wait a second, I grew up with barely any education or opportunities because she was a slave."

"So?"
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:57:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:49:37 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:45:42 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.

Are these people you met Americans? What did we ever do to the Jews that would require reparations?

I guess I should clarify. Reparations in the sense that we force another group to make up for what "they" did to modern day Jews' ancestors. One said something along the lines of, since the Middle Easterners and Egyptians screwed the Jews over, they had to be forced to make up for it, ie in the form of an Israeli state. So the reparations aren't necessarily coming from us but the position is that America takes action to make them happen.

honestly- i doubt its racism specifically so much as general stupidity.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 2:59:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:47:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:45:42 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.

Are these people you met Americans? What did we ever do to the Jews that would require reparations?

I think they're referring to the holocaust. That wasn't America though, that was Germany.

Last I checked America actually helped them out with that little issue.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:02:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay now that I read more. I can say to each his own and wars should end and the jews and muslims should share the land.
If they refuse or can't for some reason it goes to the jews seeing as how in the torah and the koran it was promised to the jews.
But I doubt america owes the jews anything.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:04:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:56:25 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.



I agree, however, if a group is still suffering significant injustice directly as a result of their ancestors suffering an injustice (for example, not having access to generations upon generations of wealth buildup) a case can definitely be made for reparations.

IE: "We're not going to pay your family, because it was just your mother that was a slave, and she's dead. You weren't a slave, so you don't get reparations."

"But wait a second, I grew up with barely any education or opportunities because she was a slave."

"So?"

The children of slaves are still alive?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:04:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Build-up of wealth? I don't understand what you mean.

IE: "We're not going to pay your family, because it was just your mother that was a slave, and she's dead. You weren't a slave, so you don't get reparations."

"But wait a second, I grew up with barely any education or opportunities because she was a slave.":

There's not a single human alive on earth that grew up during the time slavery was alive and well in the US, so it is immaterial.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:05:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 3:02:42 PM, lovelife wrote:
Okay now that I read more. I can say to each his own and wars should end and the jews and muslims should share the land.
If they refuse or can't for some reason it goes to the jews seeing as how in the torah and the koran it was promised to the jews.
But I doubt america owes the jews anything.

Oh, you mean the Israel issue? Yea, I think it was me who showed you those verses from the Qur'an saying that Israel is for the Jews.
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:08:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:56:25 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.



I agree, however, if a group is still suffering significant injustice directly as a result of their ancestors suffering an injustice (for example, not having access to generations upon generations of wealth buildup) a case can definitely be made for reparations.

IE: "We're not going to pay your family, because it was just your mother that was a slave, and she's dead. You weren't a slave, so you don't get reparations."

"But wait a second, I grew up with barely any education or opportunities because she was a slave."

"So?"

Exactly. For example, the Chinese. When they came here to work, they were heavily discriminated against. The racism of the past prevented them from building up any wealth at the time, which is why they're disadvantaged today. Also, the Irish. Ever heard of those 'No Irish Need Apply' signs? They prevented the Irish from working in many occupations, forcing them into extremely low paying jobs. They often made less than enough to live on, and relied on charity for the rest, and, thus, could not have saved up any wealth. You might say, "But they aren't currently poor. Those groups are fairly well-off, so they don't need reparations." Ah, but that's irrelevant. The point of reparations isn't to be a handout for the poor is it? Isn't the point that it's justice? If they hadn't been discriminated against, they'd be even more well off today. Past discrimination did do them harm, and for reparations to be just, they would have to include all groups that were hurt by discrimination in the past.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:10:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 3:08:00 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:56:25 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.



I agree, however, if a group is still suffering significant injustice directly as a result of their ancestors suffering an injustice (for example, not having access to generations upon generations of wealth buildup) a case can definitely be made for reparations.

IE: "We're not going to pay your family, because it was just your mother that was a slave, and she's dead. You weren't a slave, so you don't get reparations."

"But wait a second, I grew up with barely any education or opportunities because she was a slave."

"So?"

Exactly. For example, the Chinese. When they came here to work, they were heavily discriminated against. The racism of the past prevented them from building up any wealth at the time, which is why they're disadvantaged today. Also, the Irish. Ever heard of those 'No Irish Need Apply' signs? They prevented the Irish from working in many occupations, forcing them into extremely low paying jobs. They often made less than enough to live on, and relied on charity for the rest, and, thus, could not have saved up any wealth. You might say, "But they aren't currently poor. Those groups are fairly well-off, so they don't need reparations." Ah, but that's irrelevant. The point of reparations isn't to be a handout for the poor is it? Isn't the point that it's justice? If they hadn't been discriminated against, they'd be even more well off today. Past discrimination did do them harm, and for reparations to be just, they would have to include all groups that were hurt by discrimination in the past.

Depends on your definition of discrimination. If a group of people were discriminated against in city only, would that qualify them for reparations. furthermore, why is it the onus of the US gov. to pay reparation on behalf of a few bigots in the past?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:13:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 3:10:53 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 3:08:00 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:56:25 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.



I agree, however, if a group is still suffering significant injustice directly as a result of their ancestors suffering an injustice (for example, not having access to generations upon generations of wealth buildup) a case can definitely be made for reparations.

IE: "We're not going to pay your family, because it was just your mother that was a slave, and she's dead. You weren't a slave, so you don't get reparations."

"But wait a second, I grew up with barely any education or opportunities because she was a slave."

"So?"

Exactly. For example, the Chinese. When they came here to work, they were heavily discriminated against. The racism of the past prevented them from building up any wealth at the time, which is why they're disadvantaged today. Also, the Irish. Ever heard of those 'No Irish Need Apply' signs? They prevented the Irish from working in many occupations, forcing them into extremely low paying jobs. They often made less than enough to live on, and relied on charity for the rest, and, thus, could not have saved up any wealth. You might say, "But they aren't currently poor. Those groups are fairly well-off, so they don't need reparations." Ah, but that's irrelevant. The point of reparations isn't to be a handout for the poor is it? Isn't the point that it's justice? If they hadn't been discriminated against, they'd be even more well off today. Past discrimination did do them harm, and for reparations to be just, they would have to include all groups that were hurt by discrimination in the past.

Depends on your definition of discrimination. If a group of people were discriminated against in city only, would that qualify them for reparations. furthermore, why is it the onus of the US gov. to pay reparation on behalf of a few bigots in the past?

I don't actually support reparations. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of advocating reparations for blacks specifically.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:13:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 3:10:53 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 3:08:00 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:56:25 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.



I agree, however, if a group is still suffering significant injustice directly as a result of their ancestors suffering an injustice (for example, not having access to generations upon generations of wealth buildup) a case can definitely be made for reparations.

IE: "We're not going to pay your family, because it was just your mother that was a slave, and she's dead. You weren't a slave, so you don't get reparations."

"But wait a second, I grew up with barely any education or opportunities because she was a slave."

"So?"

Exactly. For example, the Chinese. When they came here to work, they were heavily discriminated against. The racism of the past prevented them from building up any wealth at the time, which is why they're disadvantaged today. Also, the Irish. Ever heard of those 'No Irish Need Apply' signs? They prevented the Irish from working in many occupations, forcing them into extremely low paying jobs. They often made less than enough to live on, and relied on charity for the rest, and, thus, could not have saved up any wealth. You might say, "But they aren't currently poor. Those groups are fairly well-off, so they don't need reparations." Ah, but that's irrelevant. The point of reparations isn't to be a handout for the poor is it? Isn't the point that it's justice? If they hadn't been discriminated against, they'd be even more well off today. Past discrimination did do them harm, and for reparations to be just, they would have to include all groups that were hurt by discrimination in the past.

Depends on your definition of discrimination. If a group of people were discriminated against in city only, would that qualify them for reparations. furthermore, why is it the onus of the US gov. to pay reparation on behalf of a few bigots in the past?

"A few bigots"? This is institutionalized, government sanctioned racism we're talking about.

That being said, I'm not for it.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:13:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I agree, however, if a group is still suffering significant injustice directly as a result of their ancestors suffering an injustice (for example, not having access to generations upon generations of wealth buildup)
That's not injustice. Generations of wealth buildup is, for the recipient, a lucky accident. If they make something of it, they keep it, no different than if they make something of nature. But lacking it is not something that has to be made up for.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:15:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think the last people that were given reparations in the United States, and rightfully so, were the Japanese-Americans sent to internment camps during WWII. Since they actually went through it, they are entitled to it. BUT, some 4th generation Japanese-American isn't entitled to squat.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:16:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 3:13:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/20/2010 3:10:53 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/20/2010 3:08:00 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:56:25 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.



I agree, however, if a group is still suffering significant injustice directly as a result of their ancestors suffering an injustice (for example, not having access to generations upon generations of wealth buildup) a case can definitely be made for reparations.

IE: "We're not going to pay your family, because it was just your mother that was a slave, and she's dead. You weren't a slave, so you don't get reparations."

"But wait a second, I grew up with barely any education or opportunities because she was a slave."

"So?"

Exactly. For example, the Chinese. When they came here to work, they were heavily discriminated against. The racism of the past prevented them from building up any wealth at the time, which is why they're disadvantaged today. Also, the Irish. Ever heard of those 'No Irish Need Apply' signs? They prevented the Irish from working in many occupations, forcing them into extremely low paying jobs. They often made less than enough to live on, and relied on charity for the rest, and, thus, could not have saved up any wealth. You might say, "But they aren't currently poor. Those groups are fairly well-off, so they don't need reparations." Ah, but that's irrelevant. The point of reparations isn't to be a handout for the poor is it? Isn't the point that it's justice? If they hadn't been discriminated against, they'd be even more well off today. Past discrimination did do them harm, and for reparations to be just, they would have to include all groups that were hurt by discrimination in the past.

Depends on your definition of discrimination. If a group of people were discriminated against in city only, would that qualify them for reparations. furthermore, why is it the onus of the US gov. to pay reparation on behalf of a few bigots in the past?

"A few bigots"? This is institutionalized, government sanctioned racism we're talking about.

That being said, I'm not for it.

I was pointing out hypocrisy is LF argument.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:21:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Forty acres and a mule.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:22:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"One of the tragic aspects of the emancipation of the serfs in Russia in 1861 was that while the serfs gained their personal freedom, the land--their means of production and of life, their land was retained under the ownership of their feudal masters. The land should have gone to the serfs themselves, for under the homestead principle they had tilled the land and deserved its title. Furthermore, the serfs were entitled to a host of reparations from their masters for the centuries of oppression and exploitation. The fact that the land remained in the hands of the lords paved the way inexorably for the Bolshevik Revolution, since the revolution that had freed the serfs remained unfinished.

The same is true of the abolition of slavery in the United States. The slaves gained their freedom, it is true, but the land, the plantations that they had tilled and therefore deserved to own under the homestead principle, remained in the hands of their former masters. Furthermore, no reparations were granted the slaves for their oppression out of the hides of their masters. Hence the abolition of slavery remained unfinished, and the seeds of a new revolt have remained to intensify to the present day. Hence, the great importance of the shift in Negro demands from greater welfare handouts to "reparations", reparations for the years of slavery and exploitation and for the failure to grant the Negroes their land, the failure to heed the Radical abolitionist's call for "40 acres and a mule" to the former slaves. In many cases, moreover, the old plantations and the heirs and descendants of the former slaves can be identified, and the reparations can become highly specific indeed." - Murray Rothbard
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 3:27:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 3:05:45 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/20/2010 3:02:42 PM, lovelife wrote:
Okay now that I read more. I can say to each his own and wars should end and the jews and muslims should share the land.
If they refuse or can't for some reason it goes to the jews seeing as how in the torah and the koran it was promised to the jews.
But I doubt america owes the jews anything.

Oh, you mean the Israel issue? Yea, I think it was me who showed you those verses from the Qur'an saying that Israel is for the Jews.

Yeah it was.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
USAPitBull63
Posts: 668
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 5:59:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.



Quality.

If anything is merited, perhaps it's something for descendants one generation removed, and nothing beyond that. But I still support PL's general statement.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 6:17:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 5:59:14 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
At 8/20/2010 2:50:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I think the only people entitled to reparations are the people who actually suffered the injustice, not the descendants of those who suffered an injustice. That includes Jews.



Quality.

If anything is merited, perhaps it's something for descendants one generation removed, and nothing beyond that. But I still support PL's general statement.

There is no statute of limitations on justice.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 6:25:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 6:17:43 PM, Reasoning wrote:
There is no statute of limitations on justice.

thats would be an awesome campaign slogan.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 6:30:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 6:25:09 PM, belle wrote:
At 8/20/2010 6:17:43 PM, Reasoning wrote:
There is no statute of limitations on justice.

thats would be an awesome campaign slogan.

It's a bit long.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 11:44:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/20/2010 2:43:39 PM, Yvette wrote:
I've met a few people who zealously support reparations to the Jews in various forms, but vehemently oppose reparations to American blacks. What the f%ck? Can anyone explain how this is anything more than racism? I'm all ears.

May it be because slavery was some time ago and the holocaust was in living memory? The idea of reperations is all a bit silly in many ways however.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2010 8:25:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yvette... are you for reparations?

Ok... so lets say there's Jane... and She comes from a long line of uneducated people going all the way back to slavery.... and the economic and educational plight of her family has continued ever since...

then there's Bo... and he's a white guy who comes from a long line of Drunken Wastrel Hillbillies... Now Bo himself is a stand-up guy... but he's uneducated and born in utter poverty.

they're both in pretty much the same spot...

Would you say that Bo deserves less support from the government b/c of HIS ancestors happened to Deserve being poor more?
Do the merits of his ancestors deserve to be held against him?

should Jane get 50 thousand dollars to fix up her life and Bo get nothing?

or should they each get 25 thousand?

if you answer the latter I think you're prolly just for Reparations b/c you're a socialist and you think it would be one of the more plausible (though less ideal) ways of instituting socialistic policies.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."