Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

True story...

B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 11:13:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

I see your point, you did not mean to imply that all employees act in this manner, but that it is a sign that these employees are not exactly the cream of the crop.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 11:56:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 11:13:05 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

I see your point, you did not mean to imply that all employees act in this manner, but that it is a sign that these employees are not exactly the cream of the crop.

Something like that. I have trouble expressing myself, sometimes. :) Also, It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
smelisox
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 1:11:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 11:56:11 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:13:05 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

I see your point, you did not mean to imply that all employees act in this manner, but that it is a sign that these employees are not exactly the cream of the crop.

Something like that. I have trouble expressing myself, sometimes. :) Also, It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Your hate of homosexuals isn't tongue-in-cheek.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 2:01:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

Most people want a raise. What's your point?

Also, do you think it's a bit stupid to judge the overall quality of somebody's work, by a single incident? Should everyone who makes a mistake be considered a bad employee?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 2:02:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

I work at Walmart and have several coworkers who are college graduates.
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:15:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 1:11:21 AM, smelisox wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:56:11 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:13:05 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

I see your point, you did not mean to imply that all employees act in this manner, but that it is a sign that these employees are not exactly the cream of the crop.

Something like that. I have trouble expressing myself, sometimes. :) Also, It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Your hate of homosexuals isn't tongue-in-cheek.

First of all, I don't hate homosexuals. I never said I did. I hate what they do, especially their attacks on marriage, and anyone who has the nerve to disagree with their lifestyle. Tell you what. Go to a gay pride parade and say something negative about queers, so everyone can hear you. You'll find out who the haters are. Assuming you make it out of there alive.

Second. You are off topic.

Third. You're an idiot.

Any other pearls of wisdom you'd care to share with us?
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:20:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store.

And these people want a raise?

Incompetent employees do not deserve a raise at all. Neither do McDonald's workers.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:32:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 4:20:07 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store.

And these people want a raise?

Incompetent employees do not deserve a raise at all. Neither do McDonald's workers.

Well. I'd give them a cost of living raise, but $15.00 an hour? Does anyone really think that's a good idea?
smelisox
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 5:46:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 4:32:07 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/19/2015 4:20:07 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store.

And these people want a raise?

Incompetent employees do not deserve a raise at all. Neither do McDonald's workers.

Well. I'd give them a cost of living raise, but $15.00 an hour? Does anyone really think that's a good idea?

Don't spread your filthy ideas, go back to the 17th century if you want that sort of thinking. What next, slavery is good?
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 7:57:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 5:46:34 AM, smelisox wrote:
At 7/19/2015 4:32:07 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/19/2015 4:20:07 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store.

And these people want a raise?

Incompetent employees do not deserve a raise at all. Neither do McDonald's workers.

Well. I'd give them a cost of living raise, but $15.00 an hour? Does anyone really think that's a good idea?

Don't spread your filthy ideas, go back to the 17th century if you want that sort of thinking. What next, slavery is good?

What's wrong with that? It's the same thing every other wage slave gets. If you want a better paying job, get off your lazy butt and go to school. The only one who determines how much money you make is you. No one else.
ax123man
Posts: 317
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 8:04:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The OP story is largely irrelevant, however all employees deserve to get paid based on what they produce. Or, you have other options:

1) you can argue for marx's labor theory of value or some other nonsense economic theory
2) you can use political means to bend things in your favor, like bankers, GE/GM, welfare recipients, retirees, etc
3) you can live off of taxation like most of Washington DC (the wealthiest city in the US)
4) you can commit outright theft
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 10:22:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

Perhaps they can't attract more qualified workers because they pay such low wages. Ever thought of that aspect>
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 10:40:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 10:22:52 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Perhaps they can't attract more qualified workers because they pay such low wages. Ever thought of that aspect>

While I agree with this sentiment, do you also agree that the logical outcome of a minimum wage increase is to force the people who are less qualified out, since the more qualified people will actually work?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 10:43:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 10:40:11 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/19/2015 10:22:52 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Perhaps they can't attract more qualified workers because they pay such low wages. Ever thought of that aspect>

While I agree with this sentiment, do you also agree that the logical outcome of a minimum wage increase is to force the people who are less qualified out, since the more qualified people will actually work?

Of course, Walmart in particular, but others do it, hire these people because of tax breaks, assuming they are on welfare, felon, elderly, handicapped, or other categories.
My work here is, finally, done.
ax123man
Posts: 317
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 12:26:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 10:22:52 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

Perhaps they can't attract more qualified workers because they pay such low wages. Ever thought of that aspect>

Your telling me that one of the most successful retailers in history is incapable of figuring out the correct pay level for it's employees based on supply and demand but you are?
ax123man
Posts: 317
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 12:51:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 10:43:08 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/19/2015 10:40:11 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/19/2015 10:22:52 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Perhaps they can't attract more qualified workers because they pay such low wages. Ever thought of that aspect>

While I agree with this sentiment, do you also agree that the logical outcome of a minimum wage increase is to force the people who are less qualified out, since the more qualified people will actually work?

Of course, Walmart in particular, but others do it, hire these people because of tax breaks, assuming they are on welfare, felon, elderly, handicapped, or other categories.

There's a bit more to it than that. Not saying this is perfect but has some good points:

http://www.forbes.com...

If the federal government puts a policy in place that affects Walmart, Walmart will respond in a way that maximizes profit. The solution is separation of business and state, not begging for intervention Y because of the affect of intervention X.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 1:03:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If a business increases its minimum wage, it'll naturally hold its workers to a higher standard. People with disabilities (physical and mental), people who dropped out of high school or finished high school but didn't go to college, and people with a poor work ethic will suffer as a result.
Like it or not, our nation needs at least a few s**tty paying jobs available for people who aren't able to keep up with everybody else.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 9:40:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 12:51:39 PM, ax123man wrote:
At 7/19/2015 10:43:08 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/19/2015 10:40:11 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/19/2015 10:22:52 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Perhaps they can't attract more qualified workers because they pay such low wages. Ever thought of that aspect>

While I agree with this sentiment, do you also agree that the logical outcome of a minimum wage increase is to force the people who are less qualified out, since the more qualified people will actually work?

Of course, Walmart in particular, but others do it, hire these people because of tax breaks, assuming they are on welfare, felon, elderly, handicapped, or other categories.

There's a bit more to it than that. Not saying this is perfect but has some good points:

http://www.forbes.com...

I hate those points because they are stupid for being vilified. Accelerated depreciation, which is available to ANY business, helps with asset acquisition. I have used it in both of my businesses. Imagine spending $100K on a commercial oven, only to ALSO be taxed for that $100K of profit you already spent. That is what accelerated depreciation, or even bonus depreciation, does. it allows for the immediate expense to offset revenue (profit) so businesses aren't hit upfront, and is why most businesses have two sets of books: one for the SEC, banks, staff, etc. and one for the IRS, because what I made in profit may not be what the IRS says I made in profit, which means I am paying taxes on a different amount.

I am referring to the general business credit (form 3800) which allows companies who hire certain individuals to receive a tax credit based on wages paid. Have you ever been asked if you receive food stamps when hired at a job? This is why. And....doesn't Walmart help its employees get food stamps if they qualify.....

If the federal government puts a policy in place that affects Walmart, Walmart will respond in a way that maximizes profit.
Obviously. Damn them!!!
The solution is separation of business and state, not begging for intervention Y because of the affect of intervention X.
I disagree. Offering businesses incentives, like the aforementioned tax break, to hire "undesirables" is a laudable state action, IMO. Think of how much more difficult it would be for the elderly, blind, single mom on welfare, and recently convicted and released felon to find employment.
My work here is, finally, done.
ben2974
Posts: 767
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 10:07:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 2:02:59 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

I work at Walmart and have several coworkers who are college graduates.

Are you trying to do something more prestigious down the road, or are you comfortable where you are?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 10:12:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/22/2015 10:07:45 AM, ben2974 wrote:
At 7/19/2015 2:02:59 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

I work at Walmart and have several coworkers who are college graduates.

Are you trying to do something more prestigious down the road, or are you comfortable where you are?

My plan is to make more money doing something else. I don't think we should look down on people who are satisfied or even happy doing less. Some of these people are housewives that don't need to work and just need to get out of the house, retirees looking to stay active or struggling college students.
ax123man
Posts: 317
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 10:13:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/22/2015 9:40:06 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/19/2015 12:51:39 PM, ax123man wrote:
At 7/19/2015 10:43:08 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/19/2015 10:40:11 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/19/2015 10:22:52 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Perhaps they can't attract more qualified workers because they pay such low wages. Ever thought of that aspect>

While I agree with this sentiment, do you also agree that the logical outcome of a minimum wage increase is to force the people who are less qualified out, since the more qualified people will actually work?

Of course, Walmart in particular, but others do it, hire these people because of tax breaks, assuming they are on welfare, felon, elderly, handicapped, or other categories.

There's a bit more to it than that. Not saying this is perfect but has some good points:

http://www.forbes.com...

I hate those points because they are stupid for being vilified. Accelerated depreciation, which is available to ANY business, helps with asset acquisition. I have used it in both of my businesses. Imagine spending $100K on a commercial oven, only to ALSO be taxed for that $100K of profit you already spent. That is what accelerated depreciation, or even bonus depreciation, does. it allows for the immediate expense to offset revenue (profit) so businesses aren't hit upfront, and is why most businesses have two sets of books: one for the SEC, banks, staff, etc. and one for the IRS, because what I made in profit may not be what the IRS says I made in profit, which means I am paying taxes on a different amount.


Ok, we are agreeing on that then.

I am referring to the general business credit (form 3800) which allows companies who hire certain individuals to receive a tax credit based on wages paid. Have you ever been asked if you receive food stamps when hired at a job? This is why. And....doesn't Walmart help its employees get food stamps if they qualify.....

Ok, now I see what you mean. I'd be against this because it causes Walmart to change it's hiring practices from what would be natural without the break. It sounds like an attempt to offset the affect of the problems minimum wage causes (which they claim don't exist. Ha ha). It gives politicians a way to set minimum wage as a populist policy and then try to undo the damage on the sly.


If the federal government puts a policy in place that affects Walmart, Walmart will respond in a way that maximizes profit.
Obviously. Damn them!!!
The solution is separation of business and state, not begging for intervention Y because of the affect of intervention X.
I disagree. Offering businesses incentives, like the aforementioned tax break, to hire "undesirables" is a laudable state action, IMO. Think of how much more difficult it would be for the elderly, blind, single mom on welfare, and recently convicted and released felon to find employment.

I don't agree, minus minimum wage law. The law of comparative advantage applies here. Everyone is employable at some wage. This is pretty much what I stated above. In fact, almost every government intervention is an attempt to undo some other government intervention.

If you want to argue that we will never undo minimum wage so we need this tax break, fine. The problem I have is most people don't see it that way. They don't see the connection.
ben2974
Posts: 767
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 10:22:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/22/2015 10:12:06 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/22/2015 10:07:45 AM, ben2974 wrote:
At 7/19/2015 2:02:59 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/18/2015 11:10:25 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:30:38 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:01:06 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/18/2015 10:40:23 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store. And these people want a raise?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

The fact remains that this actually happened. And these are the same people who want a massive pay raise. Anecdotal, or not, it happened. Does this person deserve to have a raise, or even keep their job?

This individual, no, but all other employees is a different matter.

Maybe. But just think about what type of people work there. They're not college graduates. Many of them may not even have graduated high school. Which might explain the story I posted. I mean, how hard is it to read a sales receipt, and give the right amount for the refund?

I work at Walmart and have several coworkers who are college graduates.

Are you trying to do something more prestigious down the road, or are you comfortable where you are?

My plan is to make more money doing something else. I don't think we should look down on people who are satisfied or even happy doing less. Some of these people are housewives that don't need to work and just need to get out of the house, retirees looking to stay active or struggling college students.

I see. Best of luck!
FullMetal.Alchemist
Posts: 62
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 10:48:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 4:32:07 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 7/19/2015 4:20:07 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/17/2015 9:40:39 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Yesterday, a friend of mine took a package of underwear back to Walmart for a refund. The cashier gave him $120.00. Being of the opinion that it was not his responsibility to correct the mistakes of others, especially when they benefit him financially, he hurried out of the store.

And these people want a raise?

Incompetent employees do not deserve a raise at all. Neither do McDonald's workers.

Well. I'd give them a cost of living raise, but $15.00 an hour? Does anyone really think that's a good idea?

Only people who don't understand economics and prefer to decide policies based on what they 'feel' is 'right'.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,208
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 9:39:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago

First of all, I don't hate homosexuals.

Heh.

I never said I did. I hate what they do, especially their attacks on marriage,

... that being...?

and anyone who has the nerve to disagree with their lifestyle.

This hasn't changed. You may disagree with their lifestyle still.

Tell you what. Go to a gay pride parade and say something negative about queers, so everyone can hear you.

I have, multiple times. Not specifically a parade, but groups male homosexual men. You would be amazed at exactly how little blow back you get when you frankly state: "Yes, I find that sexual act deplorable. It indeed sickens me. I find it disgusting on X Y and Z reasons. Its not at all my cup of tea."

If you expect to have your "lifestyle" accepted (and, btw, it is) ... I have some unfortunate news for you regarding equality.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...