Jump to topic:

Protestors wave confederate flags at Obama

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 11:10:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't necessarily agree with the Trotsky-like purge of all confederate symbolism from the public sphere (historical monuments, graveyards, ect.) nor do I think that doing away with this symbolism will actually further race relations one bit. But I can definitely see why black people are uncomfortable with a flag that has quite literally been used a symbol of their oppression. And I think we can all agree that waving a confederate flag at the president is highly inappropriate. How asinine can you get?

This makes me want to vote democratic out of spite.

https://gma.yahoo.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:33:01 AM
Oklahoma... isn't that the state with the college with the fraternity with the N word chant scandal? Oh, well-- further evidence that sometimes you just can't fix stupid or bad manners. Despite what the alarmists may claim, free speech is still intact in this country.

I wonder if anyone is going to try and justify this with a pathetic and feeble "it isn't because he's black; it's because he's a damn Yankee" explanation...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 3:32:00 AM
I see it very much as a flag of treason than I do racist, but both and when I see this I see it no different than waving a Nazi flag, an ISIS flag, KKK symbol flag, Russian flag, Communist flag (if this was in the cold war). Just don't, it's stupid. Yes, you have the right but so does WBBC to picket your dead soldiers funeral.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 12:30:56 PM
At 7/17/2015 11:10:36 PM, thett3 wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with the Trotsky-like purge of all confederate symbolism from the public sphere (historical monuments, graveyards, ect.) nor do I think that doing away with this symbolism will actually further race relations one bit. But I can definitely see why black people are uncomfortable with a flag that has quite literally been used a symbol of their oppression. And I think we can all agree that waving a confederate flag at the president is highly inappropriate. How asinine can you get?

Ahhhh, stupidity. (Or, maybe I'm ignorant here)
Did Obama have anything to do with the flag being taken down in SC? If not, this is an incredibly stupid protest display for numerous reasons, as opposed to a few reasons. Maybe they just want to succeed, and that would be cool.

Also, I find the picture amusing, that the white flag wavers are behind a row of black people. I wonder how they all felt.

Were they GOP, though? I mean, they likely are voters of them, but why vote Democrat to spite idiots that act independently from the party.

Fvck GMA. They suck and should be purged. They do hit pieces worse than Fox News and MSNBC combined.
My work here is, finally, done.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:14:57 PM

I'd argue that 150 years after the last legally owned slave was freed, the Confederate flag has largely changed in meaning. It's become a symbol of the South (think about it: how many other symbols of the South are there?) and most people who use it probably do not want to resurrect the CSA. Most of the people who do want to resurrect the CSA probably do not want to bring back slavery or segregation (well, I don't really know about segregation, but I imagine most probably don't).
Many Southerners see attempts to eliminate the flag and any attempt to honor confederate soldiers (after all, nobody has a problem with honoring Union soldiers) as an attack against the South. It's equivalent to saying "The North was heroic, the South was villainous." Thus, the South flies the flag perhaps even more than it did before, just to spite the Left.
If you can come up with another symbol for the South that's used by a ton of people, I'm all ears.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:37:52 PM
At 7/18/2015 1:14:57 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I'd argue that 150 years after the last legally owned slave was freed, the Confederate flag has largely changed in meaning. It's become a symbol of the South (think about it: how many other symbols of the South are there?) and most people who use it probably do not want to resurrect the CSA. Most of the people who do want to resurrect the CSA probably do not want to bring back slavery or segregation (well, I don't really know about segregation, but I imagine most probably don't).
Many Southerners see attempts to eliminate the flag and any attempt to honor confederate soldiers (after all, nobody has a problem with honoring Union soldiers) as an attack against the South. It's equivalent to saying "The North was heroic, the South was villainous." Thus, the South flies the flag perhaps even more than it did before, just to spite the Left.
If you can come up with another symbol for the South that's used by a ton of people, I'm all ears.

Something can be a symbol of the south and also a symbol of racism because symbols can mean different things to different people. The confederate flag absolutely is a symbol of the south and so it has it's place in certain situations (like confederate graveyards or something), but the unfortunate truth is that the history of the south is pretty mired with racism.

The swastika is a symbol of well being in Indian cultures (one of my indian friends actually had swastikas all over her house) but that doesn't mean it would be appropriate to go to a synagogue, wave a swastika around and then say "what? It's just a symbol for well being." Similarly, it's inappropriate to wave the confederate flag in the face of the first black president and say "what? It's just a symbol of the south." because it isn't just that. Symbols are complex and often don't mean just one thing.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:41:41 PM
At 7/18/2015 1:37:52 PM, thett3 wrote:

Something can be a symbol of the south and also a symbol of racism because symbols can mean different things to different people. The confederate flag absolutely is a symbol of the south and so it has it's place in certain situations (like confederate graveyards or something), but the unfortunate truth is that the history of the south is pretty mired with racism.

The swastika is a symbol of well being in Indian cultures (one of my indian friends actually had swastikas all over her house) but that doesn't mean it would be appropriate to go to a synagogue, wave a swastika around and then say "what? It's just a symbol for well being." Similarly, it's inappropriate to wave the confederate flag in the face of the first black president and say "what? It's just a symbol of the south." because it isn't just that. Symbols are complex and often don't mean just one thing.

So basically it was in poor taste because Obama's black.
Really, though, somebody needs to just come up with another symbol of the South that won't offend black people and will be widely used.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:41:58 PM

And don't get me wrong, this nonsense with banning the Dukes of Hazzard because *gasp* their car had a confederate flag on it and banning civil war *games* that have confederate flags in them is beyond stupid and smacks of intimidation and groupthink. The censorship is almost as scary as it is pathetic because free speech is a principle enshrined into law, not the other way around.

But two wrongs don't make a right. That doesn't make it appropriate to wave the flag in the face of the black president.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:43:36 PM
At 7/18/2015 1:41:41 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

So basically it was in poor taste because Obama's black.

Exactly. It would probably be in poor taste if he was white, I guess, since it's a symbol of secession and he's the president but the racial overtones make it completely unacceptable. The race of the president DOES matter to some extent. It would be stupid to draw a cartoon portraying George W. Bush as a monkey. It would be horribly offensive to do the same to Obama.

Really, though, somebody needs to just come up with another symbol of the South that won't offend black people and will be widely used.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:47:19 PM
At 7/18/2015 12:30:56 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Did Obama have anything to do with the flag being taken down in SC? If not, this is an incredibly stupid protest display for numerous reasons, as opposed to a few reasons. Maybe they just want to succeed, and that would be cool.

Also, I find the picture amusing, that the white flag wavers are behind a row of black people. I wonder how they all felt.

Me too. I wonder if any words were exchanged...

Were they GOP, though? I mean, they likely are voters of them, but why vote Democrat to spite idiots that act independently from the party.

I'm just messing around really. I love saying I want to do things "out of spite" when someone does something stupid....for the most part I would rather never vote again than vote for the democratic party since they tolerate in their party people who hate people like me and my family and look down on us with disgust. So yeah, screw them.

Fvck GMA. They suck and should be purged. They do hit pieces worse than Fox News and MSNBC combined.

Lol really? Did you hear about the hit piece a few months ago where they found out that Marco Rubio got like 4 speeding tickets in the past 20 years and it was somehow a big deal?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 5:59:46 PM
The only well supported issue people should have with this is flying these flags at gov't buildings. Trying to ban it outright, from everywhere, is suppression of free speech.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 6:13:51 PM
At 7/18/2015 1:41:58 PM, thett3 wrote:

And don't get me wrong, this nonsense with banning the Dukes of Hazzard because *gasp* their car had a confederate flag on it and banning civil war *games* that have confederate flags in them is beyond stupid and smacks of intimidation and groupthink. The censorship is almost as scary as it is pathetic because free speech is a principle enshrined into law, not the other way around.

But two wrongs don't make a right. That doesn't make it appropriate to wave the flag in the face of the black president.

The state didnt ban Dukes of Hazzard or all those civil war games, the private owners did. They also have every right to as they have control over the products they sell.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 6:35:10 PM
At 7/18/2015 6:13:51 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

The state didnt ban Dukes of Hazzard or all those civil war games, the private owners did. They also have every right to as they have control over the products they sell.

Of course they have the right to. That doesn't mean it isn't stupid and that doesn't mean it isn't creepily groupthinkish.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 6:52:12 PM
At 7/18/2015 6:35:10 PM, thett3 wrote:

Of course they have the right to. That doesn't mean it isn't stupid and that doesn't mean it isn't creepily groupthinkish.

Maybe they finally realized that that flag is offensive to a great many people and they didnt want to sell it.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 6:56:04 PM
At 7/18/2015 6:52:12 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

Maybe they finally realized that that flag is offensive to a great many people and they didnt want to sell it.

No one's offended by the confederate flag being used to represent the southern side in a civil war game. Anyone who is has that opinion is not worth paying attention to, and their numbers are so minor as to not affect sales one bit.

No, this was nothing but a huge social signaling overreaction. It's Apple saying "look guys we're a good company. We're so progressive. Please ignore our overseas sweatshops." Like so much else about these pathetically stupid culture wars it's a smokescreen.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:13:22 PM
At 7/18/2015 6:56:04 PM, thett3 wrote:

No one's offended by the confederate flag being used to represent the southern side in a civil war game. Anyone who is has that opinion is not worth paying attention to, and their numbers are so minor as to not affect sales one bit.

No, this was nothing but a huge social signaling overreaction. It's Apple saying "look guys we're a good company. We're so progressive. Please ignore our overseas sweatshops." Like so much else about these pathetically stupid culture wars it's a smokescreen.

These bans werent limited to civil war games, a large number of retailers quit selling them as well. Also these companies are still investigated for their use of sweatshops and child labour abroad, so your going to need more evidence that it is nothing more than a smokescreen.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:22:09 PM
At 7/18/2015 7:13:22 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

These bans werent limited to civil war games, a large number of retailers quit selling them as well. Also these companies are still investigated for their use of sweatshops and child labour abroad, so your going to need more evidence that it is nothing more than a smokescreen.

I was discussing a specific example, Apple, which to my knowledge has no products offered that have to do with the flag other than games on the App Store.

Let's look at another example, eBay. You can buy and sell Nazi memorabilia and flags on eBay--the group that iniated a world war and genocide still in living memory--but no longer confederate flags. What's more likely, eBay is genuinely concerned that the products it lets individuals sell could offend people and somehow overlooked the most iconic symbol of oppression in our culture, or eBay found it expedient to appear progressive in a shrewd capitalist move by hopping on the bandwagon for something that somehow became a major social issue?

No, any way you slice it its just dumb signaling by companies trying to shore up their image. In many cases it's a smokescreen for decidedly non progressive companies that engage in extremely unethical activities.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:27:07 PM
At 7/18/2015 7:22:09 PM, thett3 wrote:

I was discussing a specific example, Apple, which to my knowledge has no products offered that have to do with the flag other than games on the App Store.

Let's look at another example, eBay. You can buy and sell Nazi memorabilia and flags on eBay--the group that iniated a world war and genocide still in living memory--but no longer confederate flags. What's more likely, eBay is genuinely concerned that the products it lets individuals sell could offend people and somehow overlooked the most iconic symbol of oppression in our culture, or eBay found it expedient to appear progressive in a shrewd capitalist move by hopping on the bandwagon for something that somehow became a major social issue?

No, any way you slice it its just dumb signaling by companies trying to shore up their image. In many cases it's a smokescreen for decidedly non progressive companies that engage in extremely unethical activities.

Actually it looks like you can't purchases Nazi flags but you can all kinds of other Nazi memorabilia and propaganda. You can purchase soviet flags, a nation whose evil meets or exceeds that of the Nazi's but happened to win the war.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:30:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com...

"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:30:54 PM

While apple and ebay's activities probably are not based on not offending people, we dont know about other corporation's motives unless they have a similer policy to ebay's. Besides these companies are important players in the economy and have the right to sell what they want. So unless you have proof that all these companies are simply doing it as a smokescreen we will not know their true intentions.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:35:30 PM
At 7/18/2015 7:30:54 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

While apple and ebay's activities probably are not based on not offending people, we dont know about other corporation's motives unless they have a similer policy to ebay's. Besides these companies are important players in the economy and have the right to sell what they want. So unless you have proof that all these companies are simply doing it as a smokescreen we will not know their true intentions.

Their true intentions are to appear progressive because they find it expedient. There's no way Apple is stupid enough to think people are offended by using the flag in a game to represent its historical constituency--it's obvious progressive signaling from a company that desperately wants to keep its trendy image because they're no longer innovating. If companies were genuinely concerned, the disparities I pointed out almost certainly wouldn't exist and they wouldn't have waited until it was a hot button issue to pull the plug on the confederate flag.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:37:14 PM
At 7/18/2015 7:30:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

https://www.youtube.com...

lol I would sooner never vote again

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 10:10:01 AM
At 7/18/2015 1:47:19 PM, thett3 wrote:

I wonder if they even noticed.

I'm just messing around really. I love saying I want to do things "out of spite" when someone does something stupid....for the most part I would rather never vote again than vote for the democratic party since they tolerate in their party people who hate people like me and my family and look down on us with disgust. So yeah, screw them.

I know you are messing around, but you know there are those out there that will fault the GOP for these folks.

Lol really? Did you hear about the hit piece a few months ago where they found out that Marco Rubio got like 4 speeding tickets in the past 20 years and it was somehow a big deal?

No, I don't watch that show.
My wife is a groomer, and she has been informed of two segments on GMA about grooming. One was about how to find a good groomer (hard hitting journalism, right?), and the advice was subpar (not bad, but not very good), but they invited PETA to comment on the matter, who said they shouldn't ever take the dog to a groomer. Notice there was no groomer to offer advice or rebut. This resulted in a bunch of clients around the country asking this largely stupid questions.
(according to my wife, good questions to ask is: do you have any certification, ask about length of career and education, and ask about the process (drying, number of dogs in the room, etc.), but, unfortunately, the number one question asked is "how much?", which, of course means that those with the skills and care are less likely to get the client, which, is actually a blessing, because good groomers hate those clients, and generally, their dogs, due to more work, less respect, and issues with behavior and frequency)

There was another segment that more or less attacked a groomer because the dog got burned from a dryer, and again, no groomer to offer their side.

This really is troubling for my wife because groomers are constantly under attack for the actions of bad ones, and most states are considering licensing groomers, which many groomers, good and bad, don't want. GMA's NY is one of three states that has this requirement.

I get that a morning show isn't hard hitting news, and largely more just smiles, but the slant is pretty bad. Not necessarily a political slant, but just lazy news reporting.
My work here is, finally, done.
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:13:54 AM
At 7/18/2015 7:35:30 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 7/18/2015 7:30:54 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

Their true intentions are to appear progressive because they find it expedient. There's no way Apple is stupid enough to think people are offended by using the flag in a game to represent its historical constituency--it's obvious progressive signaling from a company that desperately wants to keep its trendy image because they're no longer innovating. If companies were genuinely concerned, the disparities I pointed out almost certainly wouldn't exist and they wouldn't have waited until it was a hot button issue to pull the plug on the confederate flag.

I already said I agree with you on apples intentions. With your accusations towerds the other companies, I'm afraid you have no proof that they are just doing it to be progressive. It is entirely possible that they decided to remove the flag from their selection after seeing how many people were offended by the flag. Companies are afterall made up of people who have their own feelings, not robots who only care about profit.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 3:48:23 PM

I already said I agree with you on apples intentions. With your accusations towerds the other companies, I'm afraid you have no proof that they are just doing it to be progressive. It is entirely possible that they decided to remove the flag from their selection after seeing how many people were offended by the flag. Companies are afterall made up of people who have their own feelings, not robots who only care about profit.

I mean sure what can you really PROVE, right? But i've definitely given way more compelling reasons than you have. It's not like this is some big conspiracy against the south, it's just typical corporate behavior to hop on a bandwagon to improve your brand.

I will note that it's funny how now that companies are implementing a "progressive" policy of banning the confederate flag they are made up of people with feelings and moral sense. When they're opposed to abortion like Hobby Lobby, corporate personhood doesn't exist.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 5:17:15 PM
At 7/19/2015 3:48:23 PM, thett3 wrote:

I mean sure what can you really PROVE, right? But i've definitely given way more compelling reasons than you have. It's not like this is some big conspiracy against the south, it's just typical corporate behavior to hop on a bandwagon to improve your brand.

I will note that it's funny how now that companies are implementing a "progressive" policy of banning the confederate flag they are made up of people with feelings and moral sense. When they're opposed to abortion like Hobby Lobby, corporate personhood doesn't exist.

Your still generalizing all these corporations as jumping onto the bandwagon without any evidence to support it. While corporations may not be people they are groups of people who may have been affected by what happened in Charleston. These companies could have seen how many people found the flag offensive and decided it was best for the company to quit selling it. Not every decision they make is about their company's image.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 5:43:57 PM
At 7/18/2015 1:47:19 PM, thett3 wrote:

People like you? What do you mean?

I think they're scared of Mr. Rubio. They don't want him to be the GOP's Obama.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 6:14:21 PM

If you think that's stupid try this. In Germany, all Nazi flags in WWII video games are censored, they have to be removed, by law, so when you're fighting the Waffen SS, there's not a single Nazi flag around. PC score? 10/10. Historical accuracy score? depends on the game, but definitely not a 10. Stupidity score? 10/10.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:01:31 PM

"or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:40:14 PM
At 7/19/2015 5:17:15 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 7/19/2015 3:48:23 PM, thett3 wrote:

Your still generalizing all these corporations as jumping onto the bandwagon without any evidence to support it. While corporations may not be people they are groups of people who may have been affected by what happened in Charleston. These companies could have seen how many people found the flag offensive and decided it was best for the company to quit selling it. Not every decision they make is about their company's image.

I mean I guess you're free to believe that eBay thinks confederate things are offensive but soviet and Nazi things aren't and just happened to have this change of heart when it became convenient
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett