Jump to topic:

Donald Trump's comments about McCain

Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:53:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So while he was speaking, Trump said about McCain. "He's a war hero because he was captured," Trump replied dismissively. "I like people that weren't captured, OK?"

Thoughts?

Rest of the story is here - http://www.usatoday.com...
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:55:14 PM
More context, this was said after a reporter interrupted Trump's rant on McCain by reminding him about McCain's war services.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 10:16:07 PM
Donald Trump is a pretty bold man. I've noticed that he is the only candidate that truly will not put up with the bulls*t line of questioning reporters use in their interviews with him. Sometimes this leads to him stating things that only "anti-Trump" people will believe he actually means.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 11:58:49 PM
At 7/18/2015 9:53:55 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
So while he was speaking, Trump said about McCain. "He's a war hero because he was captured," Trump replied dismissively. "I like people that weren't captured, OK?"

Thoughts?

Whatever chances Trump had before of winning, he doesn't now.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 12:13:40 AM
At 7/18/2015 9:53:55 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:

Thoughts?

McCain is a war hero and Trump's wrong. McCain did several heroic things in that war. There was a fire on the deck of the aircraft carrier he was on. One of the bombs exploded, and navy personnel had to throw other bombs overboard that were at risk of exploding over the side of the carrier. McCain was there helping throw them in to the sea. McCain volunteered for some of the most dangerous bombing missions of the war, and was he shot down during one of them. After McCain's captors learned that his father was a vice admiral, McCain was recognized as a high-value POW and treated differently. His captors offered to let him go, but he insisted that he would only accept the offer if other American POWs were also released.
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:27:34 AM
McCain is a war hero and Trump's wrong. McCain did several heroic things in that war. There was a fire on the deck of the aircraft carrier he was on. One of the bombs exploded, and navy personnel had to throw other bombs overboard that were at risk of exploding over the side of the carrier. McCain was there helping throw them in to the sea. McCain volunteered for some of the most dangerous bombing missions of the war, and was he shot down during one of them. After McCain's captors learned that his father was a vice admiral, McCain was recognized as a high-value POW and treated differently. His captors offered to let him go, but he insisted that he would only accept the offer if other American POWs were also released.

My father and uncle both retired from the Air Force last week. Them and other soldiers say that they've heard rumors throughout being in the military that McCain was a very unfit (stupid) pilot and had no business being in any aircraft (Maybe he wouldn't have gotten shot down and captured if a more adept pilot was flying). That being said, he is still a war hero in my book, and I doubt Trump made this remark based on those military rumors.
DonaldTrump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:43:01 AM
I found this on his official facebook page:

"I am not a fan of John McCain because he has done so little for our Veterans and he should know better than anybody what the Veterans need, especially in regards to the VA. He is yet another all talk, no action politician who spends too much time on television and not enough time doing his job and helping the Vets. He is also allowing our military to decrease substantially in size and strength, something which should never be allowed to happen.
Furthermore, he was extremely disrespectful to the thousands upon thousands of people, many of whom happen to be his constituents, that came to listen to me speak about illegal immigration in Phoenix last week by calling them "crazies".
These were not "crazies"---these were great American citizens.
I have great respect for all those who serve in our military including those that weren't captured and are also heroes."

He seems to be giving context to his opinion, but this is mostly unrelated to the controversial bit.