Jump to topic:

Immigration in Canada

EmilyJane7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 8:06:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Being a Fine Arts student at the University of the Fraser Valley, I know little about the issues surrounding immigration in Canada. However, this is a subject that I find intriguing and thought-provoking. How does immigration affect the Canadian economy? Is our government becoming more pro- or anti- immigration? Does immigration encourage a free and open society? And finally, how does immigration affect the lives of Canadian immigrants? To answer these questions, I first must do some research.

After some reading, I conclude that Canada"s high immigration policy helps support the economy. For example, Canada has one of the world"s largest supplies of natural resources, including oil, lumber, and metals, but a relatively sparse population which often leads to labor shortages. However, this is offset by the high number of immigrates coming to Canada in search of jobs. In Canada, we also have a low birth rate and a rapidly aging population. Experts disagree on how this will affect the economy. Some argue that a smaller population would lead to a higher income per capita simply because the wealth would be spread amongst a smaller amount of people. Others believe that the economy would be negatively impacted by the lack of workers. There is also no current consensus on how immigration affects government finances. However, the average immigrant family contributes roughly $22,500 in taxes per year. In comparison, the average native-born Canadian household pays only $20,259. Immigrants are also less likely to use many social services than are native Canadians, including subsidized housing and employment insurance. From this point of view, Canadian immigrants help, rather than strain, the government"s finances. I believe high immigration rates in Canada will help make up for a lack of workers and our low birth rates without negatively impacting the Canadian economy.

Currently, all of Canada"s major political parties support high immigration rates, suggesting that Canada is moving in a pro-immigration direction. Since 2001, the immigration rate per annum has fluctuated between 221,352 and 262,236, with some political parties even favouring an increase in the immigration rate. Historically, Canada has been quite reliant on and supportive of immigration. After all, the original pioneers and settlers in Canada (with the exception of aboriginals) were all immigrants. In the 1800"s, Chinese migrants were recruited for the construction of the railway and European farmers were actively sought after. This tradition of high immigration has continued into the 1900"s, although the majority of Canada"s immigrants now come from developing countries. Several major changes have been made to Canada"s immigration laws, such as the Immigration Act in 1976, which was replaced with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act in 2002. This recent Act sets out Canada"s guidelines for immigration, which are quite broad in comparison to other countries, allowing Canada"s immigration rate to be amongst the highest in the world. This is also reflected in Canada"s diverse culture and ethnicities. With our history of high immigration rates and our current policies and laws, I think Canada is continuing to support immigration.

Immigration"allowing people to permanently move to a new country"aligns with the ideas of an open and free society. The ideal free society has a flexible structure, freedom of belief, and allows its citizens to act voluntarily. Immigration enables individuals to voluntarily move to a foreign country for various reasons. Often immigrants are denied freedom of religion and have very few job prospects in their native country. By immigrating to countries like Canada, individuals gain new freedoms and opportunities. Canada"s immigration laws allow many people around the world to find new jobs, new liberties, and the opportunity to better themselves. This makes Canada and its immigration policies an excellent example of a free and open society.

Initially, immigration to countries like Canada sounds beneficial. But after some research, it appears that the situation of immigrants in Canada is not as I had hoped. In comparison to the native population, the economic position of immigrants has been declining over the past twenty-five years. Also, immigrants face higher unemployment rates and lower pay. This is likely due to the fact that many immigrants have unstable secondary sector jobs that often involve hazardous work environments. Immigrants are also more likely than native Canadians to have difficulty finding a job. Language barriers, discrimination, lack of contacts and networks, job competition, and a lack of certain job skills all create obstacles for newcomers. Employers are also less likely pay an immigrant the same salary as a native, since they often know little about their background. However, the majority of immigrants come from developing nations where the standards of living, job prospects, and other opportunities are low in comparison to Canada. With this in mind, many immigrants are probably better off in Canada than in their native country. Although immigrants face many challenges upon their arrival in Canada, immigrating probably impacts their lives in a positive way.

After researching this article, I have learned more about Canada"s policies concerning immigration, and I find my good opinion of immigration is justified. I fully support Canada"s broad immigration policies which allow the immigration rate to stay high, giving more people a chance for a better life in Canada.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 11:59:26 AM
Yeah, the main issue is that Canada let's in so many bloody immigrants, and they all go to the same, already populated areas, that growth is impossible. I would be fine with sending them to the territories or the maritimes, but immigration to Ontario [speaking as an immigrant to Ontario] needs to stop. [Same with BC.]
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 9:48:14 PM
At 7/24/2015 11:59:26 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
Yeah, the main issue is that Canada let's in so many bloody immigrants, and they all go to the same, already populated areas, that growth is impossible. I would be fine with sending them to the territories or the maritimes, but immigration to Ontario [speaking as an immigrant to Ontario] needs to stop. [Same with BC.]

Is it bad that I correctly guessed which country you were from based on the city you live in?
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 3:59:03 PM
At 7/24/2015 9:48:14 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Is it bad that I correctly guessed which country you were from based on the city you live in?

LOL, that's hilarious. Normally the stereotype fits with Brampton and Surrey, but I guess times have changed.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 4:12:57 PM
At 7/25/2015 3:59:03 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 7/24/2015 9:48:14 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

LOL, that's hilarious. Normally the stereotype fits with Brampton and Surrey, but I guess times have changed.

Yeah =P I have "aunties and uncles" in all of those places, so...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 10:04:31 AM
At 7/20/2015 8:06:21 PM, EmilyJane7 wrote:
Being a Fine Arts student at the University of the Fraser Valley, I know little about the issues surrounding immigration in Canada. However, this is a subject that I find intriguing and thought-provoking. How does immigration affect the Canadian economy? Is our government becoming more pro- or anti- immigration? Does immigration encourage a free and open society? And finally, how does immigration affect the lives of Canadian immigrants? To answer these questions, I first must do some research.

After some reading, I conclude that Canada"s high immigration policy helps support the economy. For example, Canada has one of the world"s largest supplies of natural resources, including oil, lumber, and metals, but a relatively sparse population which often leads to labor shortages. However, this is offset by the high number of immigrates coming to Canada in search of jobs. In Canada, we also have a low birth rate and a rapidly aging population. Experts disagree on how this will affect the economy. Some argue that a smaller population would lead to a higher income per capita simply because the wealth would be spread amongst a smaller amount of people. Others believe that the economy would be negatively impacted by the lack of workers. There is also no current consensus on how immigration affects government finances. However, the average immigrant family contributes roughly $22,500 in taxes per year. In comparison, the average native-born Canadian household pays only $20,259. Immigrants are also less likely to use many social services than are native Canadians, including subsidized housing and employment insurance. From this point of view, Canadian immigrants help, rather than strain, the government"s finances. I believe high immigration rates in Canada will help make up for a lack of workers and our low birth rates without negatively impacting the Canadian economy.

Currently, all of Canada"s major political parties support high immigration rates, suggesting that Canada is moving in a pro-immigration direction. Since 2001, the immigration rate per annum has fluctuated between 221,352 and 262,236, with some political parties even favouring an increase in the immigration rate. Historically, Canada has been quite reliant on and supportive of immigration. After all, the original pioneers and settlers in Canada (with the exception of aboriginals) were all immigrants. In the 1800"s, Chinese migrants were recruited for the construction of the railway and European farmers were actively sought after. This tradition of high immigration has continued into the 1900"s, although the majority of Canada"s immigrants now come from developing countries. Several major changes have been made to Canada"s immigration laws, such as the Immigration Act in 1976, which was replaced with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act in 2002. This recent Act sets out Canada"s guidelines for immigration, which are quite broad in comparison to other countries, allowing Canada"s immigration rate to be amongst the highest in the world. This is also reflected in Canada"s diverse culture and ethnicities. With our history of high immigration rates and our current policies and laws, I think Canada is continuing to support immigration.

Immigration"allowing people to permanently move to a new country"aligns with the ideas of an open and free society. The ideal free society has a flexible structure, freedom of belief, and allows its citizens to act voluntarily. Immigration enables individuals to voluntarily move to a foreign country for various reasons. Often immigrants are denied freedom of religion and have very few job prospects in their native country. By immigrating to countries like Canada, individuals gain new freedoms and opportunities. Canada"s immigration laws allow many people around the world to find new jobs, new liberties, and the opportunity to better themselves. This makes Canada and its immigration policies an excellent example of a free and open society.

Initially, immigration to countries like Canada sounds beneficial. But after some research, it appears that the situation of immigrants in Canada is not as I had hoped. In comparison to the native population, the economic position of immigrants has been declining over the past twenty-five years. Also, immigrants face higher unemployment rates and lower pay. This is likely due to the fact that many immigrants have unstable secondary sector jobs that often involve hazardous work environments. Immigrants are also more likely than native Canadians to have difficulty finding a job. Language barriers, discrimination, lack of contacts and networks, job competition, and a lack of certain job skills all create obstacles for newcomers. Employers are also less likely pay an immigrant the same salary as a native, since they often know little about their background. However, the majority of immigrants come from developing nations where the standards of living, job prospects, and other opportunities are low in comparison to Canada. With this in mind, many immigrants are probably better off in Canada than in their native country. Although immigrants face many challenges upon their arrival in Canada, immigrating probably impacts their lives in a positive way.

After researching this article, I have learned more about Canada"s policies concerning immigration, and I find my good opinion of immigration is justified. I fully support Canada"s broad immigration policies which allow the immigration rate to stay high, giving more people a chance for a better life in Canada.

I was just in Edmonton and Winnipeg last week. My very limited exposure, which I'm certain I did not see any of the issue or problems with immigration, was very impressed.

I forget if it was Edmonton or Winnepeg, but there was a city park which was named after Malala Yousafzai, the girl who won the Nobel and was targeted for death in Pakistan. I found that to be very enlightened. To contrast I live outside of Dallas there is a small community trying to stop a Muslim community from buying land they want to serve as a cemetery.

These Texans are people ruled by fear. They speak of the value of freedom from one side of the month yet they want to restrict a class of people from buying land because they are afraid of them and their culture.

I'm sure that exists in Canada too. There certainly is a point where too much immigration can cause culture shifts. As long as the culture does not shift around democracy, freedom, allowing freedom of religion, freedom of speech etc, there should be nothing to fear. From my perspective I fear the white Christians who are trying to block private citizens from buying land because of they trying to restrict freedom by throwing their weight around.
BZriigt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:16:39 PM
Unless a country is already densely populated or nearing capacity, immigration as generally a good policy to pursue. This is especially true in Canada. Canada has much more land than people residing on those lands, so there is plenty of area for immigrants to settle. Canadians should hope that immigrants do emigrate, as they will only help the economy. This is because immigrants often must have a degree of wealth before immigration officers let them enter the country. This means that they are bringing with them money that they can spend inside of our economy on Canadian goods and services. Additionally, wealthy immigrants that enter the country can become entrepreneurs, thus creating more jobs for more Canadians and bettering the economy as a whole. Job creation is very important in keeping the economy healthy and thriving, therefore immigration is an important catalyst for the economic health of Canada. Furthermore, immigrants that do not pursue entrepreneurship tend to accept the lower paying jobs, jobs that Canadian adults tend to avoid seeking employment from. If the government prevented immigrants from entering Canada, then these and many other jobs would go unfilled in the market leaving a hole in services and goods which would only hurt the Canadian economy.

Immigration also aids our economy because once immigrants reside on our lands they will share the burden of taxation with all other Canadian taxpayers. This is even more pertinent now than ever before for Canada, because as the world has seen with Greece taxation on the population is important for sustaining the health care system. Canadians from east to west take great pride in their health care system, but this system is expensive to maintain, in fact health care comprises the largest part of all provincial budgets across Canada. Yet as the baby boomer population rises, Canadians are confronted with an issue; the majority of Canada"s population is older, and thus they will create an inevitable burden on doctors, hospitals and the entire health care system as they continue to age and face illness and death. This is compounded by the fact that Canadians are having less children than before, so much so that there will be an insufficient ratio between young persons who are taxed to pay for health care costs versus the much larger baby boomer population creating the burden. Immigration is required to close this gap. Taxing immigrants can relieve young Canadian taxpayers from feeling the full force of this new burden. Therefore, once again, immigration is beneficial to the Canadian economy and to Canadian citizens.

Immigrants are also important not just for the economy, but for Canadian society as a whole. Immigrants who come, bring with them their diverse perspectives and unique ideas. The significance of their wealth of knowledge can be seen both in the workplace but also in all levels of the education system. Universities thrive with immigrant students in the classroom, because it allows for new sides of debate to be explored by those who come from a different background and have seen other sides of the story from their side of the world. Furthermore, immigration creates a free society because incorporating immigrants from all corners of the world creates tolerance between races and reduces discrimination as Canadians encounter immigrants in their daily lives. This has, over time, created a cultural mosaic where Canadians have come to respect the differences that immigrants bring and allow their cultures to flourish within Canadian boarders. This in turn allows the Canadian multicultural society to thrive.

Lastly, immigration encourages an open and free society because it reaffirms the democratic nature of Canada. All Canadians were granted mobility rights under section 6 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Subsection 1 states, "Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada." Accepting immigration embraces this idea by extending such a right to future Canadians, allowing them to enter into Canada, migrate between provinces and perhaps leave once more. Immigration is a symbol of extending mobility rights beyond just those who were born here and hold a citizenship card, but to those that seek to call Canada their home.

www.visaplace.com