Jump to topic:

"Wage Slavery"

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:04:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Noam Chomsky is a leading proponent of the idea that "wage slavery" i.e., selling one's labor in order to survive and be happy, is not fundamentally different from slavery as normally understood. I think this is partly correct, but it is nevertheless very misleading. I don't think the employer is the true "slave master". The slave master is nature (if one insists on calling it that), which demands that humanity labor in order to survive and be happy, and the employer merely acts as the middle man between nature's demands and man's wants. In other words, the fact we need to work in order to survive and be happy is not artificially imposed on us. It's true in any case. Our system is just a more efficient way of accomplishing this, because it allows people to specialize. There's never been a time in human history where people's wellbeing did not have to be labored for, and I seriously doubt such a time will ever come.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 7:38:04 PM
I honestly think that the human race can make work voluntary and survive just fine. As technology progresses, that will become inevitable, but we don't have to wait. We can do it now.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 9:34:06 PM
At 7/24/2015 7:38:04 PM, Wylted wrote:
I honestly think that the human race can make work voluntary and survive just fine. As technology progresses, that will become inevitable, but we don't have to wait. We can do it now.

Survive? Sure. But mere survival is insufficient.
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 7:46:30 PM
Good point. We, by nature, will always be slaves to work. We are really the unluckiest animals on the planet. We are one of the few land animals that doesn't have fur. Because of this we are forced to work extra hours every week to build shelter and to make clothing. Not only that but our stomachs don't digest grazing foods. It would be nice if we did because we could just go out in the yard and eat grass for lunch. That would be very easy. We'd eat, poop, and sleep like all of the other animals.
But no, we are not that lucky. We must work, and work hard. Actually, we were very free at one time. That was before agriculture. Agriculture is what made us serfs to the land. But it also brang us some good things. It brang us protection in cities that had walls built around them. It also allowed us to form armies that could protect us.

Wage slavery is what it is. The only solution to wage slavery is to go back to living like the Native Americans lived. We could hunt and fish and live off the land again. We could fight other tribes for sport. We could move about and when we found a place that we liked, we could set up a teepee right there on the spot.
Anthropologists have discovered that most natives of the past only worked 20-30 hours a week for their subsistence. With modern day weapons and technologies, we could do the same in five hours a week. That would be the life. However, it ain't likely to happen. Men will always follow the women. There aren't very many women who would want to go back to living off the land. So we are forced to work in order to get sex. Maybe we are slaves to sex and not wages?