The real political correctness...

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:36:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
.....is religious correctness.

- keeping religiousness in government. Vilifying anyone who want to hold the government to account to its commitment to not establish or promote a religion.
- restricting people from committing immoral behaviors via legislation.
- vilifying anyone without religiousness.
- vilifying anyone who does not put allegiance in this order God, Family, Country
- Against anyone who tries to put homosexuality if any light other than as defined as a negative or a sin.

I have come to learn that most people complaining about political correctness are really trying to promote religious correctness.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 1:34:19 PM
At 7/27/2015 12:36:44 PM, slo1 wrote:

- keeping religiousness in government. Vilifying anyone who want to hold the government to account to its commitment to not establish or promote a religion.
- vilifying anyone who does not put allegiance in this order God, Family, Country
- Against anyone who tries to put homosexuality if any light other than as defined as a negative or a sin.

I have come to learn that most people complaining about political correctness are really trying to promote religious correctness.

If you have the right to demand that bake you a cake, then I have the right to force you to attend church. If you can fire me because you don't like my political position on homosexuality, I can fire you because I don't like your political position on homosexuality. If you have the right to deny me access to the news media because I don't believe in climate change, I have the right to deny you media access because you don't believe in God.

This shouldn't be that hard to understand. These the rules you want to play by. Call it "religious correctness" if you like, it won't make a difference because the gloves are off and its just a raw power struggle -- and your side is weaker.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 1:56:40 PM
At 7/27/2015 1:34:19 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

If you have the right to demand that bake you a cake, then I have the right to force you to attend church. If you can fire me because you don't like my political position on homosexuality, I can fire you because I don't like your political position on homosexuality. If you have the right to deny me access to the news media because I don't believe in climate change, I have the right to deny you media access because you don't believe in God.

I'm not touching the above as they are logically and functionally not reality. Nobody is denying you access to news media. If you don't like what the media is publishing, start your own media company. I fully support your freedom of speech even if I don't agree with your speech.

This shouldn't be that hard to understand. These the rules you want to play by. Call it "religious correctness" if you like, it won't make a difference because the gloves are off and its just a raw power struggle -- and your side is weaker.

Just as long as you understand that when you cry about political correctness and the bully aspect of trying to force you into a belief or behavior is the exact same thing that you are doing with religious correctness then my work is done.
katie.snappy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 2:15:32 PM

It's actually not a power struggle. It's a matter of legality. The Constitution ensures freedom of religion not freedom of religious practice. Therefore, if your bakery is not explicitly Christian, the RFRA does not protect you (at least currently). If you run a Christian bakery, however, you would not be forced to bake the cake. On the other hand, you cannot force someone to attend church because you do not have the right to impose your religion on others. Your arguments are fundamentally flawed because they are illogical and don't adhere to Constitutional principles and legal precedent.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:37:28 PM
At 7/27/2015 2:15:32 PM, katie.snappy wrote:

It's actually not a power struggle. It's a matter of legality. The Constitution ensures freedom of religion not freedom of religious practice. Therefore, if your bakery is not explicitly Christian, the RFRA does not protect you (at least currently). If you run a Christian bakery, however, you would not be forced to bake the cake. On the other hand, you cannot force someone to attend church because you do not have the right to impose your religion on others. Your arguments are fundamentally flawed because they are illogical and don't adhere to Constitutional principles and legal precedent.

The legal precedent for my argument is the same precedent that allows someone to walk into a bakery and force them to endorse their same-sex "marriage" with a cake. That is the same thing as imposing religion on others.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 4:07:22 PM
At 7/27/2015 1:56:40 PM, slo1 wrote:

I'm not touching the above as they are logically and functionally not reality. Nobody is denying you access to news media. If you don't like what the media is publishing, start your own media company. I fully support your freedom of speech even if I don't agree with your speech.

Just as long as you understand that when you cry about political correctness and the bully aspect of trying to force you into a belief or behavior is the exact same thing that you are doing with religious correctness then my work is done.

Recent events have shown that people that adhere to their religious beliefs are allowed to be objectively and materially punished for it. I am informed that those who simply wish to be left out of activities which they deem abhorrent are legally required to do otherwise under threat of financial penalties and/or jail. While one side, as you pointed out above, may occasionally suffer the feelbads the other side is fined, silenced, imprisoned and forced out of business.

Obviously I reject the ridiculous notion that criticizing political correctness is somehow equivalent to the level of bullying by the PC crowd.
katie.snappy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:38:00 PM
At 7/27/2015 3:37:28 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
The legal precedent for my argument is the same precedent that allows someone to walk into a bakery and force them to endorse their same-sex "marriage" with a cake. That is the same thing as imposing religion on others.

The is currently no federal precedent that forces someone to "endorse" same-sex marriage with a cake. In the Colorado instance, state law explicitly prohibits businesses from discrimination on race, gender, and sexual orientation. Thus, the bakery was in violation of state law. Making statements regarding who you will/will not serve also violates the statement of intent to discriminate. If you have strong religious beliefs that force you to discriminate, simply move to a municipality/state that has no laws regarding public accommodation. A business is a business, not a religious organization. If you can't handle serving customers with different beliefs as you, you should not be running a business.

http://aclu-co.org...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 8:25:29 PM
At 7/27/2015 5:38:00 PM, katie.snappy wrote:

The is currently no federal precedent that forces someone to "endorse" same-sex marriage with a cake. In the Colorado instance, state law explicitly prohibits businesses from discrimination on race, gender, and sexual orientation. Thus, the bakery was in violation of state law. Making statements regarding who you will/will not serve also violates the statement of intent to discriminate. If you have strong religious beliefs that force you to discriminate, simply move to a municipality/state that has no laws regarding public accommodation. A business is a business, not a religious organization. If you can't handle serving customers with different beliefs as you, you should not be running a business.

+1

And it absolutely burns my butt that the religious institutions try to portray themselves as the ones being persecuted because they are not allowed to discriminate due to sexual orientation. They are trying to engage in their version of religious correctness.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 8:34:47 PM
At 7/27/2015 4:07:22 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

Recent events have shown that people that adhere to their religious beliefs are allowed to be objectively and materially punished for it. I am informed that those who simply wish to be left out of activities which they deem abhorrent are legally required to do otherwise under threat of financial penalties and/or jail. While one side, as you pointed out above, may occasionally suffer the feelbads the other side is fined, silenced, imprisoned and forced out of business.

Obviously I reject the ridiculous notion that criticizing political correctness is somehow equivalent to the level of bullying by the PC crowd.

Good, they should be materially punished for it. It is against the law to discriminate due to sexual orientation in many states just like it is against the law to discriminate due to religious belief in all states.

If your religious belief is that whites are superior and should not intermingle does not mean you get impunity from all behaviors of dissuading interracial marriage such as burning crosses, murder, etc.

In other terms not all religious beliefs are legal nor should they be.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 7:10:29 PM
At 7/27/2015 5:38:00 PM, katie.snappy wrote:

The is currently no federal precedent that forces someone to "endorse" same-sex marriage with a cake. In the Colorado instance, state law explicitly prohibits businesses from discrimination on race, gender, and sexual orientation.

Well there we have it, non-discrimination laws violate our fundamental rights. After all, there is no right in the Constitution that permits you to force someone to serve you.
Thus, the bakery was in violation of state law. Making statements regarding who you will/will not serve also violates the statement of intent to discriminate. If you have strong religious beliefs that force you to discriminate, simply move to a municipality/state that has no laws regarding public accommodation. A business is a business, not a religious organization. If you can't handle serving customers with different beliefs as you, you should not be running a business.

How about instead of forcing business owners to move out of state, we just say that if you want that cake so bad, but someone doesn't want to serve you, you can walk across the street and get it somewhere else. This should be far more preferable to anyone who respects the Constitutional right to free association and freedom of religion over the tender feelings of a tiny minority.

Hopefully you see by now that whether government-imposed servitude is legal or not is irrelevant. If you want laws that make people choose between exercising their religion and staying in businesses, so be it. Don't be surprised when the pendulum swings back people start pushing back with their own laws. It's already happening. It's the beginning of a much larger power struggle.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 7:28:35 PM
At 7/27/2015 8:34:47 PM, slo1 wrote:

Good, they should be materially punished for it. It is against the law to discriminate due to sexual orientation in many states just like it is against the law to discriminate due to religious belief in all states.

Employers discriminate against religious people almost to the extent at which black people are. So this doesn't really support your idea that the religious are the bullies.
If your religious belief is that whites are superior and should not intermingle does not mean you get impunity from all behaviors of dissuading interracial marriage such as burning crosses, murder, etc.

So now we have you on record as a believer of thoughtcrime and badthink. Only the beliefs approved by the elites in power are permitted, any alternatives are forbidden and punishable.

You can keep whining about bullying by "religious correctness", but you've destroyed your own credibility at this point by exposing your fascist underbelly.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 7:36:24 PM
At 7/28/2015 7:28:35 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

Employers discriminate against religious people almost to the extent at which black people are. So this doesn't really support your idea that the religious are the bullies.

So now we have you on record as a believer of thoughtcrime and badthink. Only the beliefs approved by the elites in power are permitted, any alternatives are forbidden and punishable.

I don't care what you think or believe. The expression of those thoughts and beliefs in the form of behaviors is what is illegal.

You can keep whining about bullying by "religious correctness", but you've destroyed your own credibility at this point by exposing your fascist underbelly.

LOL, I'm facist?

You prefer to take us back to a time when it was acceptable to discriminate against anyone for any reason. If you want to drink at your own white club drinking fountain and leave everyone else who does not fit your description to find someone else who will serve them, then so be it. The good news is that it will not be in my country where common sense does not give religion fair game to restrict the life, liberty, and happiness of others at the expense of twisted beliefs.

Lastly, I'm so afraid of the power struggle. What? You going to lock in arms with Muslims and all other religions to try to institute your version of theocracy? Good luck.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 9:43:31 PM
At 7/28/2015 7:36:24 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 7/28/2015 7:28:35 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

In other terms not all religious beliefs are legal nor should they be.: :

I don't care what you think or believe. The expression of those thoughts and beliefs in the form of behaviors is what is illegal.

You're directly contradicting what you said above, emphasis added. That's like saying you have the right to free speech, as long as we agree with it. You have the right to bear arms, but not the right to fire them. You have the right to religion, but are forbidden from practicing it. It's pure nonsense.

LOL, I'm facist?

You prefer to take us back to a time when it was acceptable to discriminate against anyone for any reason. If you want to drink at your own white club drinking fountain and leave everyone else who does not fit your description to find someone else who will serve them, then so be it. The good news is that it will not be in my country where common sense does not give religion fair game to restrict the life, liberty, and happiness of others at the expense of twisted beliefs.

You prefer to take us to a society where all citizens are pawns of the state and can be forced into government-imposed servitude at the whims of a tiny minority. Sure, you may object to the idea of a society that respects the right to free association, you might point and shriek and cry "raciss" or "bigot", but that doesn't change the observable fact that free and religious societies, even if mildly oppressive, have much better track records of protecting life and liberty than you secular fascists do.

Lastly, I'm so afraid of the power struggle. What? You going to lock in arms with Muslims and all other religions to try to institute your version of theocracy? Good luck.
Don't be ridiculous. Islam and Western values of liberty and limited government are incompatible.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 9:57:44 PM

...You've got to be f**king kidding me about that last one. Today's culture verbally crucifies anyone who speaks badly about homosexuality. Those who oppose it only have de jure freedom to do so, unless you're speaking strictly to a religious group. If you went back a few years you may've been correct, but in 2015 that's just not the case.
Or were you referring solely to the way that religious communities act?

Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:31:05 AM
At 7/31/2015 9:57:44 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

...You've got to be f**king kidding me about that last one. Today's culture verbally crucifies anyone who speaks badly about homosexuality. Those who oppose it only have de jure freedom to do so, unless you're speaking strictly to a religious group. If you went back a few years you may've been correct, but in 2015 that's just not the case.
Or were you referring solely to the way that religious communities act?

What I'm telling you is that Chrisianity as a whole preached that homosexuality is immoral and wants state legislation that supports as an immoral act. Just because there are now other people who speak out against the Christian attempts at using state power to disuade againt what they believe is immoral does not mean it is not religious correctness. It is anti American and religious correctness needs to stop in the name of freedom and liberty.