Jump to topic:

Mandated Work Hours Ruin Life

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:18:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
As of late, I have been dreading the day when I get promoted to a full-time employee position (which will be around Jan 2011) because I will have to work 40 hours a week (as mandated by law) plus 5 hours of useless unpaid lunch breaks.

Because of this, my attitude for the remainder of the year is like it's my last year to live. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life consumed by work.

It's great that I'll be making big money, but what's the point if I have no time to enjoy it?? I'll have a measly Friday and Saturday to enjoy it (Sundays are dreadful obviously).

So, would I be faced with problems if I requested 7 hour shifts with no lunch? I would be gaining 2 hours of free time daily and be working 35 hours instead of 45 hours (and only technically lose 5 hours pay and not 10).
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:22:27 PM
It sounds to me like it is time to seriously consider a career change. It would be awful to have to work at something that makes your life unhappy. You only live once. Don't waste it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:25:02 PM
At 8/25/2010 1:18:36 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
As of late, I have been dreading the day when I get promoted to a full-time employee position (which will be around Jan 2011) because I will have to work 40 hours a week (as mandated by law) plus 5 hours of useless unpaid lunch breaks.

Because of this, my attitude for the remainder of the year is like it's my last year to live. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life consumed by work.

It's great that I'll be making big money, but what's the point if I have no time to enjoy it?? I'll have a measly Friday and Saturday to enjoy it (Sundays are dreadful obviously).

So, would I be faced with problems if I requested 7 hour shifts with no lunch? I would be gaining 2 hours of free time daily and be working 35 hours instead of 45 hours (and only technically lose 5 hours pay and not 10).

I'm pretty sure they are mandated to give you lunch breaks, But I suppose you could request it.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:29:10 PM
At 8/25/2010 1:22:27 PM, JBlake wrote:
It sounds to me like it is time to seriously consider a career change. It would be awful to have to work at something that makes your life unhappy. You only live once. Don't waste it.

Don't get me wrong, I honestly couldn't ask for a better career so if I have to work 40 hours, it would be where I am at now. It's just that 5 days of work and 2 days of leisure isn't something I'm looking forward to, but seems inevitable no matter what I am doing.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:32:27 PM
At 8/25/2010 1:22:27 PM, JBlake wrote:

I agree.

On the other hand, if you were to work the full 45 hours a day as well as have a full 8 hours of sleep 7 days a week and apply two hours to transportation five days a week, you still have more free time than obligatory work time (57 hours). Subtracting the two days that comprise the weekend, that leaves you with two hours per day during which you can waste time and spend money.

The only problem I can find with that is given you have a boyfriend or girlfriend.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:37:11 PM
Don't you guys also expect to work 40 hours a week 5 days a week? Its inevitable is it not? Won't you feel the same way when you get that full-time job?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:39:26 PM
At 8/25/2010 1:37:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Don't you guys also expect to work 40 hours a week 5 days a week? Its inevitable is it not? Won't you feel the same way when you get that full-time job?

Because usually it's a job we want.

inb4 Big Brother\Illuminati control
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:39:45 PM

Some people own businesses and/or freelance.

Particularly those who share your opinions.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:45:13 PM
At 8/25/2010 1:39:26 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Because usually it's a job we want

It's not that. I have my dream job. It's the hours that is the problem.

Won't the job you want be 40 hours?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:49:26 PM
At 8/25/2010 1:39:45 PM, Ren wrote:

Some people own businesses and/or freelance.

Particularly those who share your opinions.

That would be nice to make your own hours, but being a business owner would be too stressful IMO.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 1:52:55 PM
At 8/25/2010 1:45:13 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/25/2010 1:39:26 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Because usually it's a job we want

It's not that. I have my dream job. It's the hours that is the problem.

Won't the job you want be 40 hours?

I'm not sure. My job options range from economist to historian.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 2:09:21 PM
At 8/25/2010 2:04:35 PM, innomen wrote:
I wish i had 40 hours a week worth of business to manage. Welcome to adulthood.

What do you mean? Do you work more than 40?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 2:12:03 PM
At 8/25/2010 2:09:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I have a fairly unstructured job. I work when i have work to do, and today i had a little bit. I lost my largest client a couple months ago, and that has freed up a lot of time, and i would prefer to be working. Work = $. Most of the time i am working at my kitchen table doing stuff, but then i have appointments to go on as well. It's a great job when things are good, they are not good now.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 2:27:26 PM
At 8/25/2010 2:12:03 PM, innomen wrote:

I have a fairly unstructured job. I work when i have work to do, and today i had a little bit. I lost my largest client a couple months ago, and that has freed up a lot of time, and i would prefer to be working. Work = $. Most of the time i am working at my kitchen table doing stuff, but then i have appointments to go on as well. It's a great job when things are good, they are not good now.

Well, what good is money if you have no free time to enjoy it? But then again, what good is free time with no money to spend? Dammit!

It's hard to find that just-right balance!
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 2:33:02 PM
At 8/25/2010 2:27:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/25/2010 2:12:03 PM, innomen wrote:

Well, what good is money if you have no free time to enjoy it? But then again, what good is free time with no money to spend? Dammit!

It's hard to find that just-right balance!

It comes. It depends on how ambitious you are. Do you want the big house and all that? Or do you just want to get by and have a lot of time to enjoy what you can? Owning a house changes EVERYTHING> and i don't have kids, do i can only imagine.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 2:42:25 PM
Owning a house changes everything in what way?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 2:50:05 PM
At 8/25/2010 2:42:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

You never have enough money, and there is always something that requires money. Geo, do you like what you do? If you really like it, there would be less of a problem in all of this. If you are sort of neutral, it's not the end of the world, but if you hate it... that's another story.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:06:31 PM
At 8/25/2010 2:50:05 PM, innomen wrote:

You never have enough money, and there is always something that requires money.

I agree. I have seriously been considering an apartment, simply because I hate household maintence and cost. Though, I may end up finding a house that requires minimal maintence, i.e. no grass.

Geo, do you like what you do?

Like I said, it's the job I always wanted.

If you really like it, there would be less of a problem in all of this. If you are sort of neutral, it's not the end of the world, but if you hate it... that's another story.

Again, the problem is the hours and no free time. 5 days of labor and 2 days of leisure just doesn't cut it for me.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:07:27 PM
At 8/25/2010 3:01:20 PM, Nags wrote:
40 hours/week isn't even that much. It's a normal full-time job.

Exactly. It's really common to work well over 50 hours a week if you have a high level job (non-governmental of course).
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:09:29 PM

Well, given that's out of 168 hours, with roughly 50 hours of sleep, that's only 78 hours, which is of course unequally spread with 2 days off.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:10:48 PM
At 8/25/2010 3:06:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/25/2010 2:50:05 PM, innomen wrote:

You never have enough money, and there is always something that requires money.

I agree. I have seriously been considering an apartment, simply because I hate household maintence and cost. Though, I may end up finding a house that requires minimal maintence, i.e. no grass.

Geo, do you like what you do?

Like I said, it's the job I always wanted.

If you really like it, there would be less of a problem in all of this. If you are sort of neutral, it's not the end of the world, but if you hate it... that's another story.

Again, the problem is the hours and no free time. 5 days of labor and 2 days of leisure just doesn't cut it for me.

Geo, it's just life in the US. We work hard and a lot, if we're lucky. But you also make money where you can have some pretty decent vacations. Having a lot of time and no money sucks. Having a lot of money, and less time sucks, but sucks less.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:14:02 PM
At 8/25/2010 3:09:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Well, given that's out of 168 hours, with roughly 50 hours of sleep, that's only 78 hours, which is of course unequally spread with 2 days off.

So...? Going to school is a job that takes up more than 40 hours/week as well. It's not really a big deal.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:14:38 PM
It's a normal full-time job.

I know that. That's kinds the problem. It has become the norm. I know that we are lucky because 12 hour work weeks were the standard (by law) in the 1800s, but peoples past hardships don't affect my current dilemmas (just sayin).

40 hours/week isn't even that much.

Technically it's 45 hours, but only 40 of it is paid, the other 5 are lunch breaks.

But, the problem really, more than hours, is the fact that you spend 5 full days a week working and 2 days leisure. That's 5/7s of your whole life spent on labor (not that my job is particularly laborious).
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:15:59 PM
At 8/25/2010 3:14:02 PM, Nags wrote:
At 8/25/2010 3:09:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

So...? Going to school is a job that takes up more than 40 hours/week as well. It's not really a big deal.

With like a bazzillion days of vacation.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:19:15 PM

i look forward to it tbh. its gotta be better than working 30 hours plus 20 hours of school a week (and thats not including hw...)

anyways, i think it seems more daunting than it is. esp if you don't hate your job, you'll get used to it.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:19:40 PM
@ Nags

On average, you get 1/4 of the day to do what you want given 9 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep, commuting, and errands.

I mean really, when you're 70, your gonna look back and realized you only got to enjoy about 1/4 (probably less) of your life.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 3:22:56 PM
At 8/25/2010 3:19:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
On average, you get 1/4 of the day to do what you want given 9 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep, commuting, and errands.

Yup.

I mean really, when you're 70, your gonna look back and realized you only got to enjoy about 1/4 (probably less) of your life.

I plan on becoming rich as f*ck by the time I'm 50, and then just kicking it after that.