Jump to topic:

Obama thus far???

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 1:40:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I started a thread like this one a while ago, but time has passed.

How have things changed?

Is obama doing better?

What has he done correctly?

Will 2010 be a reflection of what will happen in 2012?

Is 4 years enough for Obama to make a dent into the mess we had?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 1:49:19 PM
At 8/27/2010 1:40:33 PM, comoncents wrote:

Not too much time.

How have things changed?

Depends what you mean by change.

There's still horrifying levels of partisanship in Washington, but now there's a new group dedicated to ensuring it continues on even more so.

Biggest change to the healthcare and financial regulation systems in 60 years passed, but Americans are still going to get screwed over by insurance companies and reckless investors.

America is out of Iraq and has improved its standing among most countries of the world, yet you're still supporting a country that wants to start a regional war, and drag us into it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh.

Is obama doing better?

No.

Iraq, most foreign policy decisions. Can't say much about everything else.

Probably not, just as 1994 wasn't a reflection of what happened in 1996, or 1982 a reflection of 1984.

Lord no.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 1:49:31 PM
How have things changed?
The federal government has gotten bigger, while the economy has continued to suck.
Is obama doing better?
Better than what?
Well, troops are being withdrawn from Iraq (although not all of them).
Do you mean the election? It's impossible to say. It depends on what the economy will be like, and whether or not the Republicans can find a decent candidate.
It's more than enough time for him to make it significantly worse, if that's what you mean.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 1:52:45 PM

Don't know, but I doubt he will be re-elected.
kfc
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 1:55:18 PM
At 8/27/2010 1:52:45 PM, Koopin wrote:

Sarah Palin...

I never believed the world would end in 2012, but with the election of Sarah Palin people's fears could be confirmed...
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 1:56:13 PM
At 8/27/2010 1:49:31 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
How have things changed?
The federal government has gotten bigger, while the economy has continued to suck.
Is obama doing better?
Better than what?
Well, troops are being withdrawn from Iraq (although not all of them).
Do you mean the election? It's impossible to say. It depends on what the economy will be like, and whether or not the Republicans can find a decent candidate.
It's more than enough time for him to make it significantly worse, if that's what you mean.

Half or the majority of his term is going to be speant reversing Bush policies, this still is no excuse for him falling short though.

The country rode the guy in on this messiah tip thinking he was more than who he was, a politician.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 1:58:24 PM

How have things changed?
Things are worse much much worse. We are further in debt, and unemployment is worse than when he entered office, and has not improved.

Is obama doing better?
See above

They got that H1N1 under control.

No, a win for the republicans in congress could work for him a lot, and he will have someone new to blame other than GW Bush

If there were signs, real signs of improvement and a good direction perhaps, but increasing the debt, and the size and scope of government is just stupid. The direction that we are going would indicate to me that this question has a presupposed answer that doesn't work.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 2:14:00 PM
At 8/27/2010 2:11:22 PM, innomen wrote:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Break down of approval by religion (and non-religion).

Muslims like him the most, that doesn't really surprise me actually. lawl. Maybe that contributes partially to people thinking he's a muslim. xD
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 2:15:46 PM
At 8/27/2010 2:11:22 PM, innomen wrote:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Break down of approval by religion (and non-religion).

Too bad they didn't include Southern Baptists in that survey. Pretty sure the whites down south hate him more than the Devil.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 2:17:01 PM
I hope Romney runs, I'll support him provided he doesn't flop like a fish out of water during the campaign.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 2:18:27 PM
At 8/27/2010 1:56:13 PM, kelly224 wrote:
Half or the majority of his term is going to be speant reversing Bush policies, this still is no excuse for him falling short though.

Lmao. He isn't reversing Bush policies, unless you consider letting Bush's tax cuts for the rich expire and extending Bush's Patriot Act, a reversal. lol

The country rode the guy in on this messiah tip thinking he was more than who he was, a politician.

Obama is more than a politician. He was chosen by the Illuminati to sell global fascism in a package that the masses will accept.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 2:20:08 PM
At 8/27/2010 2:18:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Obama is more than a politician. He was chosen by the Illuminati to sell global fascism in a package that the masses will accept.

Such a Geo thing to say. :) lol
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 2:22:45 PM
At 8/27/2010 2:17:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I hope Romney runs, I'll support him provided he doesn't flop like a fish out of water during the campaign.

Meh, Romney is, for lack of a better word, an idiot in a lot of instances. As Governor, he was essentially the last of a dying breed - liberalish Republicans - yet as candidate Romney, it's like Governor Romney never existed. It's sad.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 2:29:51 PM
At 8/27/2010 2:22:45 PM, Volkov wrote:

Meh, Romney is, for lack of a better word, an idiot in a lot of instances. As Governor, he was essentially the last of a dying breed - liberalish Republicans - yet as candidate Romney, it's like Governor Romney never existed. It's sad.

I really have giant problems with Romney, but as a manager he is far superior to Obama. Obama is the worst manager i have ever seen, well seen in a long while.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 2:29:51 PM

He's a moderate, which beats Huckabee and Palin.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 2:30:37 PM
At 8/27/2010 2:29:51 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

He's what he needs to be to get elected.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 3:03:27 PM
Under the current system, I don't see how anyone could possibly do a "better job" than Barack Obama.

Really, it depends on what you consider a "good job."

If this means representing the United States in the best way possible while allowing the federal machine to do as it chooses, then I think he's doing a fantastic job.

If this means being a buffer for the federal government so that everyone has someone to hate when they're strangely just as dissatisfied as they always were, then I still think he's doing a fantastic job.

If this means running the entire country and making perfect decisions that will draw us out of the inevitable gaping hole in the economy that was purposely put there in the first place, then of course he's doing terribly, given that's not his job description.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 4:57:49 PM
At 8/27/2010 1:55:18 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/27/2010 1:52:45 PM, Koopin wrote:

Sarah Palin...

I never believed the world would end in 2012, but with the election of Sarah Palin people's fears could be confirmed...

No. No. No.

People are seriously entertaining the thought of Palin winning.

Wow, how we soon forget.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:02:03 PM
At 8/27/2010 1:58:24 PM, innomen wrote:

How have things changed?
Things are worse much much worse. We are further in debt, and unemployment is worse than when he entered office, and has not improved.

But hasn't it been that the first 4 years of a President's economic success or failure been a direct reflection of the prior presidents policies?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:04:15 PM

I thought that I would be able too, but his lack of knowledge of the constitution, and his flippy floppy will not allow me to back him.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:05:27 PM
At 8/27/2010 2:20:08 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/27/2010 2:18:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Such a Geo thing to say. :) lol

Crazy thing is that he completely believes it with all of his little ole heart.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:06:47 PM

Meh, Romney is, for lack of a better word, an idiot in a lot of instances.

I agree.

As Governor, he was essentially the last of a dying breed - liberalish Republicans - yet as candidate Romney, it's like Governor Romney never existed. It's sad.

I would like to see a governor in office that has experience in balancing a budget, and believes that balancing is key!
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:08:01 PM
At 8/27/2010 2:29:51 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I would like Huckabee if he changed his foreign policy... MAYBE???
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 1:36:27 AM
At 8/27/2010 5:02:03 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 8/27/2010 1:58:24 PM, innomen wrote:

How have things changed?

But hasn't it been that the first 4 years of a President's economic success or failure been a direct reflection of the prior presidents policies?

If the direction remains unchanged or worsens no. At some point responsibility needs to be taken.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 7:34:56 AM
So far Obama's made good on his word to help repeal DADT, get troops out of Iraq, and apply national healthcare. Whether or not you agree with national healthcare, we knew all along (since the campaign) that this was his goal. Also, when people complain about the economy, keep in mind that there was no indication the economy would have gotten better under Bush or any other candidate who ran in 08. Some even say that the economy is doing slightly better insofar as recent private business expansion. Of course Republicans and Libertarians are going to say "Obama sucks" because they don't agree with his policies, but I think he's been successful in that he's accomplished a lot of what he set out to do. Either way I'd take him over Bush any day. And I can almost guarantee that Sarah Palin won't win anything in 2012. Ron Paul is the only Republican I see myself supporting.
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 7:52:39 AM
At 8/28/2010 7:34:56 AM, theLwerd wrote:
So far Obama's made good on his word to help repeal DADT, get troops out of Iraq, and apply national healthcare. Whether or not you agree with national healthcare, we knew all along (since the campaign) that this was his goal. Also, when people complain about the economy, keep in mind that there was no indication the economy would have gotten better under Bush or any other candidate who ran in 08. Some even say that the economy is doing slightly better insofar as recent private business expansion. Of course Republicans and Libertarians are going to say "Obama sucks" because they don't agree with his policies, but I think he's been successful in that he's accomplished a lot of what he set out to do. Either way I'd take him over Bush any day. And I can almost guarantee that Sarah Palin won't win anything in 2012. Ron Paul is the only Republican I see myself supporting.

I understand your sentiments, but the key message of your post is the fact that he is successful in what he wanted to do. However successful he was in what he wanted to get accomplished, we still need to look on a larger scale and determine if his presidency thus far has been relatively successful for the well-being of the United States.

One of the things I appreciate about Obama is his efforts at repealing DADT. Most people here know that I am strongly against that policy in the first place.

Although he took troops out of Iraq, all he's doing is sending more troops to other nations. It isn't like he took all the troops out of Iraq either; some are still there.

I'd like to see a libertarian president in the near future. If this libertarian president is successful at executing general libertarian social and economic policies, the United States as a whole may become much more successful.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 8:17:23 AM
At 8/28/2010 7:52:39 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
we still need to look on a larger scale and determine if his presidency thus far has been relatively successful for the well-being of the United States.

Ok, so what did Bush do that made the U.S. successful, and what policies did McCain have (the only other realistic opposition to Obama -- Paul was knocked out) that would have made the situation better? If nothing - or not much - then you're admitting that the whole point here is just to b!tch about Obama. Shocking. We would not have been much better off with McCain. The economy wouldn't have miraculously recovered, we'd STILL be in the Middle East (a lot moreso actually - meaning a boat load of more spending there too) and he supported DADT.

I'd like to see a libertarian president in the near future. If this libertarian president is successful at executing general libertarian social and economic policies, the United States as a whole may become much more successful.

That's never gonna happen. Not anytime soon anyway. The closest you'll come is Ron Paul -- which is still a long shot -- and since the president isn't the only one responsible for law making, and there aren't really any Libertarians in congress, then yeah. I don't think it'd be very helpful nor do I think it would miraculously solve a lot of problems. Also, if elected, would Ron Paul forfeit his paycheck as President since it comes from tax dollars? I think not. I'm sure Libertarian politicians - like all others - are also full of it.
President of DDO
Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:18:44 AM
At 8/28/2010 8:17:23 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Also, if elected, would Ron Paul forfeit his paycheck as President since it comes from tax dollars? I think not. I'm sure Libertarian politicians - like all others - are also full of it.

Presidents don't make jack s***as far as their paycheck goes.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:24:30 AM
If Ron Paul were elected he can't dismantle the whole apparatus overnight. The current presidency operates way outside its constitutional powers, which makes Ron Paul a walking contradiction since thats a pillar on his platform.

But Ron Paul is such a figure of integrity that I see him being assassinated by corporate interests after appointing Lew Rockwell as fed chairman :P
Things that are so interesting: