Jump to topic:

Glenn Beck Rally

Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:09:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Even though I hate everything Beck stands for, there is something I always like about a rally like this happening. No matter what the political message of the rally, It makes me glad that people are still caring about what goes on in the country.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:47:40 AM
It's just distasteful to have this rally on the anniversary of MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech.

What's worse is Beck saying stuff like (paraphrasing), "This isn't a political rally. This is a rally about truth and honor, and the fact that we're having it on the same day and at the same location as MLK's speech... well, that's just totally a coincidence. Other people have been saying just hateful stuff about this, and we just want to say that we accept them for voicing their opinions though we disagree. We're about uniting people, not separating them."

It makes me sick.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:54:59 AM
At 8/28/2010 9:47:40 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
It's just distasteful to have this rally on the anniversary of MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech.

What's worse is Beck saying stuff like (paraphrasing), "This isn't a political rally. This is a rally about truth and honor, and the fact that we're having it on the same day and at the same location as MLK's speech... well, that's just totally a coincidence. Other people have been saying just hateful stuff about this, and we just want to say that we accept them for voicing their opinions though we disagree. We're about uniting people, not separating them."

It makes me sick.

All while Rev. Al Sharpton hosts a "counter-rally" that seems to be purely about championing Obama Administration policies.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:57:45 AM
At 8/28/2010 9:54:59 AM, Steelerman6794 wrote:
All while Rev. Al Sharpton hosts a "counter-rally" that seems to be purely about championing Obama Administration policies.

Don't kid yourself - Beck's rally is designed to do nothing but energize the extremist Republican base. It is political for him - why would he invite Sarah Palin if it were not? The vast majority, and I'm talking 90%, of those at this rally are voting Republicans, guaranteed.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:23:51 AM
At 8/28/2010 9:47:40 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

Why?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:25:44 AM
At 8/28/2010 9:57:45 AM, Volkov wrote:

Don't kid yourself - Beck's rally is designed to do nothing but energize the extremist Republican base. It is political for him - why would he invite Sarah Palin if it were not? The vast majority, and I'm talking 90%, of those at this rally are voting Republicans, guaranteed.

Both sides think the other side are filled with idiots or worse.

I love seeing rallies like this on both sides, even when people i completely disagree with, i know it's healthy. I wonder about those who are intolerant on the one hand, and preach inclusiveness on the other.
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 11:03:41 AM
At 8/28/2010 10:25:44 AM, innomen wrote:

I love seeing rallies like this on both sides, even when people i completely disagree with, i know it's healthy. I wonder about those who are intolerant on the one hand, and preach inclusiveness on the other.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Thank you.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 11:23:12 AM
At 8/28/2010 11:03:41 AM, Steelerman6794 wrote:
At 8/28/2010 10:25:44 AM, innomen wrote:

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Thank you.

Freedom of speech and assembly, but only when it meets certain approval and criteria.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:21:28 PM
Rev. Al Sharpton has called Beck's event an "outright attempt to flip the imagery of Dr. King." Sharpton said Beck is "circumventing him and distorting him."

What a crock. From what I can tell, Glenn Beck's rally, though filled with idiocy, is not MLK or black rights bashing at all. Sometimes Al really needs to just stfu. However, I heard that he was also planning a march that day that ended in the same spot, in which case he has a right to be annoyed if he was planning his event first (and that information was made public and available to Beck). Still, it doesn't change that Beck has a right to be there and do that on this day or another day. It sucks for Al, but I still don't see how Beck is defaming King or undermining his message. King and his speech can be celebrated today or any other day.
President of DDO
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:55:11 PM
King's niece is actually speaking at the rally, so I don't see how it could be defaming him.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 4:18:45 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:21:28 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Rev. Al Sharpton has called Beck's event an "outright attempt to flip the imagery of Dr. King." Sharpton said Beck is "circumventing him and distorting him."

What a crock. From what I can tell, Glenn Beck's rally, though filled with idiocy, is not MLK or black rights bashing at all. Sometimes Al really needs to just stfu. However, I heard that he was also planning a march that day that ended in the same spot, in which case he has a right to be annoyed if he was planning his event first (and that information was made public and available to Beck). Still, it doesn't change that Beck has a right to be there and do that on this day or another day. It sucks for Al, but I still don't see how Beck is defaming King or undermining his message. King and his speech can be celebrated today or any other day.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Beck attributes a whole bunch of ideas and philosophies to King that King never actually held and then tries to use that to gain support...

http://mediamatters.org...

Al does need shut-up most of the time, though.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!