Jump to topic:

Obama makes most ironic comment ever.

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 10:18:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
President Barack Obama told a group of young African leaders on Monday that harvesting organs from humans that are killed as part of an African ritual was "craziness" and a "cruel" tradition that needed to stop. He warned of dehumanizing marginal groups of humans and of the problems that arise when "you are not able to see someone else as a human being."

http://thefederalist.com...

The irony of this statement with the Planned Parenthood scandal going on is unbelievably poignant.
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:09:18 PM
At 8/6/2015 10:18:35 PM, Geogeer wrote:
President Barack Obama told a group of young African leaders on Monday that harvesting organs from humans that are killed as part of an African ritual was "craziness" and a "cruel" tradition that needed to stop. He warned of dehumanizing marginal groups of humans and of the problems that arise when "you are not able to see someone else as a human being."

The irony of this statement with the Planned Parenthood scandal going on is unbelievably poignant.

It's interesting the way the Federalist worded, and Geogeer quoted, the opening of the article:

harvesting organs from humans that are killed as part of an African ritual was "craziness"...

What is the "craziness" about?
Harvesting organs?

If one reads further than the opening paragraph we get clarity about Obama's criticism:

"Persons with albinism in Africa are being killed ...and their body parts harvested."

He is not criticizing harvesting body parts. He is criticizing the killing of people with albanism specifically for the purpose of harvesting their body parts.

There is a big difference.

There is further evidence of the site's bias.
Obama"s comments come in the midst of a weeks-long scandal in his own country over the killing of unborn children via abortion

Killing children is illegal. Abortions, with limitations as prescribed in Roe v Wade, is not illegal. The proper phrasing is "aborting fetuses", the right-life phrasing is "killing unborn children".
Think
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:12:02 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:09:18 PM, ecco wrote:

It's interesting the way the Federalist worded, and Geogeer quoted, the opening of the article:

harvesting organs from humans that are killed as part of an African ritual was "craziness"...

Harvesting organs?

If one reads further than the opening paragraph we get clarity about Obama's criticism:

"Persons with albinism in Africa are being killed ...and their body parts harvested."

He is not criticizing harvesting body parts. He is criticizing the killing of people with albanism specifically for the purpose of harvesting their body parts.

Obama"s comments come in the midst of a weeks-long scandal in his own country over the killing of unborn children via abortion

Killing children is illegal. Abortions, with limitations as prescribed in Roe v Wade, is not illegal. The proper phrasing is "aborting fetuses", the right-life phrasing is "killing unborn children".

So does law make something just or is the law supposed to be a reflection of what is just?
FullMetal.Alchemist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:50:00 PM

Lol... I'll debate you - "A fetus has the same moral worth as an adult human being"
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:54:39 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:50:00 PM, FullMetal.Alchemist wrote:

Lol... I'll debate you - "A fetus has the same moral worth as an adult human being"

Issue a challenge.
FullMetal.Alchemist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:58:24 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:54:39 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 8/7/2015 4:50:00 PM, FullMetal.Alchemist wrote:

Issue a challenge.

After I finish my current debate, sure.
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:17:28 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:12:02 PM, Geogeer wrote:

So does law make something just or is the law supposed to be a reflection of what is just?

Laws come into existence and reflect the common interests of man, in a democracy or the interests of a religion, in a theocracy.

I'll put my faith in laws that reflect the common interests of man as opposed to those which reflect religious views.

Some christian views support slavery and murdering jews. Some Islamic views support killing non-muslims.

Anti-abortion laws are primarily religious based. Our founding fathers knew very well the dangers of allowing religions to influence government.
Think
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:39:53 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:17:28 PM, ecco wrote:

Laws come into existence and reflect the common interests of man, in a democracy or the interests of a religion, in a theocracy.

And laws means by which they do so is to protect man's rights which he possesses by virtue of his nature.

I'll put my faith in laws that reflect the common interests of man as opposed to those which reflect religious views.

I believe that the common interests of man are best served when they recognize inalienable rights. The primary of which is the right to life.

Some christian views support slavery and murdering jews. Some Islamic views support killing non-muslims.

And that actually has nothing to do with this conversation.

Anti-abortion laws are primarily religious based.

Actually they aren't. It is just the religious who primarily recognize the equality of all men.

Our founding fathers knew very well the dangers of allowing religions to influence government.

They also owned slaves and based the declaration of independence off of writings of the Catholic Church.

https://www.catholicculture.org...
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 3:47:31 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:39:53 PM, Geogeer wrote:

And laws means by which they do so is to protect man's rights which he possesses by virtue of his nature.

How do Biblical based views on slavery protect man's rights?

I believe that the common interests of man are best served when they recognize inalienable rights. The primary of which is the right to life.

And that actually has nothing to do with this conversation.

It has everything to do with this conversation. Hitler based his Jew killing philosophy on the writings of Luther.

Anti-abortion laws are primarily religious based.

Actually they aren't. It is just the religious who primarily recognize the equality of all men.

Actually they are. It is a religious view that an embryo is a human being and therefore has a right to life. Biologically an embryo is not much more than a parasite and has no more rights

Our founding fathers knew very well the dangers of allowing religions to influence government.

They also owned slaves ...

So, they were hypocrites. I agree. Many Southern slave owners justified slavery based on Christian Scripture.

...and based the declaration of independence off of writings of the Catholic Church.:
https://www.catholicculture.org...

The link does not work.
Think
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 4:05:17 PM

Harvesting organs?

Well said, +1.

Too many people often forget that.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 6:43:05 PM
At 8/8/2015 3:47:31 PM, ecco wrote:
At 8/7/2015 6:39:53 PM, Geogeer wrote:

How do Biblical based views on slavery protect man's rights?

A religion of laws.... interesting concept since you coined the term "faith in laws"
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 7:12:43 PM

Harvesting organs?

If you need the law to tell you something is just or right, you have the mind of a govt puppet or slave.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:13:34 AM
At 8/8/2015 6:43:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

A religion of laws.... interesting concept since you coined the term "faith in laws"

Now, that's an interesting debating technique. Quoting a few words from the middle of a sentence and trying to misconstrue their meaning. Goody for you.
Think
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:15:03 AM
At 8/9/2015 2:13:34 AM, ecco wrote:

Now, that's an interesting debating technique. Quoting a few words from the middle of a sentence and trying to misconstrue their meaning. Goody for you.

Just so long as we can understand what your spaghetti savior is.
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 12:36:34 PM
At 8/8/2015 7:12:43 PM, sadolite wrote:
<snip>
If you need the law to tell you something is just or right, you have the mind of a govt puppet or slave.

You have it backwards. Laws developed by man over the centuries based on innate understanding of right and wrong are the laws that govern civilized society.

Laws based on religious views of people living thousands of years ago do not reflect advances in civilized thinking. Examples:

Ephesians 6:5 ESV
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ,

Exodus 21:20-21 ESV
"When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

1 Peter 2:18 ESV
Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust.

The Quran:
Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out.
Think
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 12:42:45 PM
At 8/9/2015 2:15:03 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

First you make a post intentionally misconstruing my comments. Then you make an unfounded comment regarding my "savior". Is that the best you can do?
Think
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:29:26 PM
At 8/9/2015 12:42:45 PM, ecco wrote:

First you make a post intentionally misconstruing my comments. Then you make an unfounded comment regarding my "savior". Is that the best you can do?

You're wrong about your faith in laws by the way. They are not created from an innate sense of "right or wrong." They are constructed for convenience from the majority in power. Your faith in the majority power who has the guns to enforce the comforts they call "just laws" is a laudable religion though. No shame in being a willing puppet.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:19:35 PM
At 8/9/2015 12:36:34 PM, ecco wrote:
At 8/8/2015 7:12:43 PM, sadolite wrote:
<snip>

You have it backwards. Laws developed by man over the centuries based on innate understanding of right and wrong are the laws that govern civilized society.

Laws based on religious views of people living thousands of years ago do not reflect advances in civilized thinking. Examples:

Ephesians 6:5 ESV
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ,

Exodus 21:20-21 ESV
"When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

1 Peter 2:18 ESV
Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust.

The Quran:
Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out.

laws are only for those who can't tell wrong from right, I don't need laws to tell me that.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:23:00 PM
At 8/9/2015 3:29:26 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/9/2015 12:42:45 PM, ecco wrote:

You're wrong about your faith in laws by the way. They are not created from an innate sense of "right or wrong." They are constructed for convenience from the majority in power. Your faith in the majority power who has the guns to enforce the comforts they call "just laws" is a laudable religion though. No shame in being a willing puppet.

How are laws against incest, rape or robbery "constructed for convenience from the majority in power"?

What civilized purpose is served by religious-based laws supporting slavery, anti-semitism, or racial discrimination?

There should be shame in being a willing religious puppet.
Think
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:28:59 PM
At 8/9/2015 6:19:35 PM, sadolite wrote:
laws are only for those who can't tell wrong from right, I don't need laws to tell me that.

Laws come in two parts: They define an action and they define (or recommend) a punishment. You may not need laws to tell you that, but I'd bet you are glad there is a recommended punishment for someone who commits a crime against you.
Think