Jump to topic:

Silence in Pot

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:06:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
If the most popular request of the Obama administration by its supporters was to legalize marijuana, then why do neither Change.org (http://www.change.org...) or whitehouse.gov (http://www.whitehouse.gov...) even address the issue?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:11:24 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:06:36 PM, wjmelements wrote:

If the most popular request of the Obama administration by its supporters was to legalize marijuana, then why do neither Change.org (http://www.change.org...) or whitehouse.gov (http://www.whitehouse.gov...) even address the issue?

I doubt Obama would address this before his re-election.
kfc
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:13:45 PM
I don't know what Fox are getting at, but if this was submitted on a Republican presidents website, they denounce them as Hippies. It's quite interesting though it topped the poll. At least Fox had a guy defending drugs before Hannity (?) took him out of context and interrupted him, before falling back on the "only druggies want to legalise drugs" argument.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:21:07 PM
Easy: issue isn't popular among the older middle class which is still key to getting elected. Young potheads, while numerous, simply do not go out and vote on the same level - playing to the youth base is, unfortunately, never a fantastic strategy unless you want some volunteers. Then again, pot-smoking volunteers might not be the best kind.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:21:46 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:11:24 PM, Koopin wrote:

First, lets not assume. Second, yeah, this would be political suicide for him and his party. I'm not even sure he's in favor of it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:26:39 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:21:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
Easy: issue isn't popular among the older middle class which is still key to getting elected. Young potheads, while numerous, simply do not go out and vote on the same level - playing to the youth base is, unfortunately, never a fantastic strategy unless you want some volunteers. Then again, pot-smoking volunteers might not be the best kind.

If he tried to legalise pot in his second term, or even repeal the CSA, it would kill the Democrats chances of being re-elected for at least the next 8 years.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:27:08 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:11:24 PM, Koopin wrote:

Found why: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com...
55% of americans oppose legalization.

This is probably why Obama changed his position from 2004 (first video) to 2008 (second).
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:27:30 PM
If the most popular request of the Obama administration by its supporters was to legalize marijuana, then why do neither Change.org or whitehouse.gov even address the issue?

Since when does the public's opinion matter? Legalizing pot (and most if not all other drugs) is one of the smartest things the Obama administration could possibly do for the economy, criminal justice system and as a celebration of personal freedoms -- but that's not reason enough for Obama to pursue it, especially because it'll create seemingly unnecessary controversy as he prepares for the 2012 election. As I've said, I think presidents don't really start to show their true colors until their 2nd term. Even then, though, I doubt it will become a discussion on the federal level. It'll help states first and once people see the success California's had with it -- and that the world will NOT COME TO AN END CUZ PEOPLE SMOKE JOINTS *gasp* -- I'm sure it'll become legal at some point during my lifetime; probably not for awhile though.
President of DDO
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:29:49 PM
Who cares if only druggies want it legalized anyways, only upper class don't want the upper class to be higher taxed :P
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:30:22 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:27:30 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Since when does the public's opinion matter?

Really, Lwerd? These are elected politicians you're talking about.

Panda said:
If he tried to legalise pot in his second term, or even repeal the CSA, it would kill the Democrats chances of being re-elected for at least the next 8 years.

Maybe, maybe not. It's a hard issue to pin down. At the current moment, it wouldn't go over well with those that are actually going to vote; the baby boomer generation is not fond of the idea for the most part. In the next 20 years, demographics will change and it will probably end up not being too big of an issue. But that's awhile from now.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:30:39 PM
If the most popular request of the Obama administration by its supporters was to legalize marijuana, then why do neither Change.org or whitehouse.gov even address the issue?

Since when does the public's opinion matter? Legalizing pot (and most if not all other drugs) is one of the smartest things the Obama administration could possibly do for the economy, criminal justice system and as a celebration of personal freedoms -- but that's not reason enough for Obama to pursue it, especially because it'll create seemingly unnecessary controversy as he prepares for the 2012 election. As I've said, I think presidents don't really start to show their true colors until their 2nd term. Even then, though, I doubt it will become a discussion on the federal level. It'll help states first and once people see the success California's had with it -- and that the world will NOT COME TO AN END CUZ PEOPLE SMOKE JOINTS *gasp* -- I'm sure it'll become legal at some point during my lifetime; probably not for awhile though.

Sadly, Prop 12 would work, it will be struck down by SCOTUS because it goes against the CSA.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:31:48 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:21:07 PM, Volkov wrote:

Obama was elected largely in part because of young people:

Democrats of all ages produced a 90% increase in turnout for the first caucuses; the number of young voters was up half again as much: 135%. The kids preferred Obama over the next-closest competitor by more than 4 to 1. The under-25 set, typically among the most elusive voters in all of politics, gave Obama [thousands] of votes.

http://www.time.com...
President of DDO
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:33:41 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:31:48 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Democrats of all ages produced a 90% increase in turnout for the first caucuses; the number of young voters was up half again as much: 135%. The kids preferred Obama over the next-closest competitor by more than 4 to 1. The under-25 set, typically among the most elusive voters in all of politics, gave Obama [thousands] of votes.

Do you think he'll lose this support if he doesn't support legalization?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:33:55 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:31:48 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Of course - but they still didn't make up a significant portion of the vote. They came out, campaigned for him, passed around petitions for him, and chanted his name. But the majority did not vote.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:34:19 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:30:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Sadly, Prop 12 won't work, it will be struck down by SCOTUS because it goes against the CSA.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:36:24 PM
I believe that if he went with it some supporters would support more, some iffy people might either support him or hate him, and those against him would be more against him. It would just make everyone more firm with the addition of people that supported him but not that would also turn from him.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:38:17 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:36:24 PM, lovelife wrote:
I believe that if he went with it some supporters would support more, some iffy people might either support him or hate him, and those against him would be more against him. It would just make everyone more firm with the addition of people that supported him but not that would also turn from him.

How did you reach such an earth-shattering conclusion?

Seriously, it's obviously going to split the Liberal and Conservatives if he implements it, that was a given. Hell, anything he does splits the Liberals and Conservatives.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:39:21 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:38:17 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Seriously, it's obviously going to split the Liberal and Conservatives if he implements it, that was a given. Hell, anything he does splits the Liberals and Conservatives.

If he promises to legalize pot, I'd vote for him over Romney or Palin.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:39:51 PM

Anything anyone does will.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:40:27 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:39:51 PM, lovelife wrote:

Anything anyone does will.

More earth-shattering political dialogue.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:40:27 PM
All I know is that if something like this was pushed forward by the administration, they would not get the support needed from Congress, Democrat or Republican controlled. It will simply not happen with this Congress, or this administration.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:41:00 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:39:21 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Do you smoke, wjm?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:41:29 PM

That's because you're Libertarian. Generally, with any social issues you're a Democrat, and with any Economic issue you're a republic.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:41:40 PM
As wonderful as young people are today, they are not the anti authoritarian radicals they were back during the rock&roll/sex/drugs revolution of the 70's-80's. If my parent's generation turned into a bunch of apathetic supermoderates, I shudder to think what these viacom robots will be like. I'm going to have to come up with more synonyms for "corporate shill".
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:41:41 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:40:27 PM, Volkov wrote:
All I know is that if something like this was pushed forward by the administration, they would not get the support needed from Congress, Democrat or Republican controlled. It will simply not happen with this Congress, or this administration.

It's more likely to succeed with a Democratic congress than with a Republican congress. Now is the time.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:42:49 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:41:00 PM, Volkov wrote:

Do you smoke, wjm?

No. I don't want to go to jail.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:43:10 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:41:41 PM, wjmelements wrote:
It's more likely to succeed with a Democratic congress than with a Republican congress. Now is the time.

True, but not with this Democratic congress. Look at how divisive healthcare was - can you imagine how many Blue Dogs and moderate Dems would jump ship?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:43:36 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:42:49 PM, wjmelements wrote:

But if it were legal, you would smoke pot, no?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 2:43:53 PM
At 8/28/2010 2:42:49 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 8/28/2010 2:41:00 PM, Volkov wrote:

Do you smoke, wjm?

And if it were legalised?