Jump to topic:

Quick Question for Libertarians

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 2:28:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Are you for or against Medicaid/Medicare? It seems like Laissez Faire Today did not like that conservatives call for reform instead of the repeal of Medicare/Medicaid. I am strongly for the preservation of Medicaid/Medicare, I apologize to all the Libertarians, but I as a conservative will not fight for the repeal of Medicaid/Medicare. I will, however, fight for the reform. Laissez Faire Today article: http://lfb.org...
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 3:59:39 AM
Repeal it. I think the US dug themselves in a deep deep hole with Medicare and it'll suck to repeal it, but do it anyways.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:05:42 AM
At 8/7/2015 2:28:46 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Are you for or against Medicaid/Medicare? It seems like Laissez Faire Today did not like that conservatives call for reform instead of the repeal of Medicare/Medicaid. I am strongly for the preservation of Medicaid/Medicare, I apologize to all the Libertarians, but I as a conservative will not fight for the repeal of Medicaid/Medicare. I will, however, fight for the reform. Laissez Faire Today article: http://lfb.org...

Against, also saying you're for reform is meaningless, nobody thinks the system is perfect.

Lasses Faire isn't necessarily libertarian, but given their name, they'll be against any social programs.
FullMetal.Alchemist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:26:33 AM
Abolishing Medicare & Medicaid would destroy the American healthcare system as we know it. Especially with the ban on screening for pre-existing conditions. Insurance companies would be forced to insure millions of elderly and disabled people who would inevitably require a lot of medical care, thus pushing companies to raise their premiums to levels which are unaffordable to the vast majority of their customers. Most people would end up just having to live without health insurance and hoping they don't die. In order to prevent a massive amount of deaths from lack of medical care, the government would have to subsidize premiums so heavily that they might as well just scrap everything and replace it with a single-payer system.

Of course, there's also the option to remove the ban on screening along with abolishing Medicare & Medicaid. But that would just make it near-impossible for the all those elderly and disabled (along with a lot of other people with pre-existing conditions) to have access to any form of health insurance, resulting in, again, a massive amount of deaths from lack of medical care. The fact is, that a completely free-market healthcare system is incapable of fulfilling the country's medical needs - healthcare is simply too expensive of a service for people to pay for on their own, and relying on health insurance companies for help with paying isn't an option because those companies literally make their profits off of *avoiding* providing insurance to those who need it most...

So either way, abolishing Medicare & Medicaid would result in a lot of preventable deaths. However, many libertarians don't see this as a problem. They believe it is perfectly okay for the government to let people die from medical problems which could easily have been treated, which is pretty idiotic because ailments of the health are just as much a violation of my right to life as another human being murdering me. Libertarians somehow distinguish between the two, saying that the government IS obligated to protect its citizens from the latter right-violation, but not from the former.

I don't see how abolishing Medicare & Medicaid is a tenable position, pragmatically or ethically speaking.
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 2:13:55 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:05:42 AM, Wylted wrote:

Against, also saying you're for reform is meaningless, nobody thinks the system is perfect.

Lasses Faire isn't necessarily libertarian, but given their name, they'll be against any social programs.
One of the official ideologies of the Libertarian Party is Laissez Faire.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 8:36:00 PM
At 8/7/2015 2:13:55 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 8/7/2015 4:05:42 AM, Wylted wrote:

One of the official ideologies of the Libertarian Party is Laissez Faire.

There is a lot of overlap, but you can be either one, without necessarily being the other.