Jump to topic:

My GOP debate grades for each candidate

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:13:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Alright if youre reading this then chances are you watched the debate last night and saw a lot of crazy stuff go down. Trump sh*tting on Rosie O'Donnell, Rand Paul and Chris Christie almost throwing punches at each other, Huckabee's already infamous like. A lot of stuff happened, and while everyone probably has their own opinion of who they think won, here is how I believe each candidate did tonight:

Donald Trump: A-

Now let me clarify I am a dirty filthy hippie liberal for the most part. I detest Donald Trump to no end and I have been rooting against him from the day he announced he was running. But despite how much I love to root against him, Trump put up a hell of a performance in the debate. Fox News had a clear bias against Donald Trump when they were asking him questions, that much is undeniable. They brought up his bankruptcy history, they brought up how hispanics detest him, they brought up his comments about women he has made in the past, Megyn Kelly even at one point asked Donald Trump when he became a Republican after it was brought up that he at one time supported a single-payer healthcare system.... Had the moderator in the second Romney-Obama debate asked Romney when he became a Republican regarding his beliefs for healthcare, conservatives would have lost their f*ckin minds, and had every right to do so....... But Trump not only managed to handle or dodge the questions Fox News hammered him with, he resorted to his usual ways and managed to make himself the biggest trending candidate in the debate. The moment he shat on Rosie O'Donnell regarding his comments on women, Trump had already won the debate in terms of who would generate the most buzz, and to do that when being pummeled with questions from Fox News is a miraculous feat in itself.

However, Trump showed his true colors regarding the immigration comments he made in the past. When asked to in 30 seconds cite evidence that the Mexican government was sending its worse people into the US, Trump stumbled all over himself with an answer that boiled down to 'Some guy at the border I visited that one time told me so'. Yet despite the clear shortfalls his policies have and despite Fox News trying their best to set him up to fail, Trump once again kept his head above the water and became the biggest trending candidate in the debate, getting him that A-

Jeb Bush: B+

Where Donald Trump got hammered by Fox News's questions, Jeb Bush got some of the easiest questions of the night. Jeb Bush didnt have to be trending or say something insane to see if it would boost his numbers, he has been number 2 in the polls for a while now, all he needed to do was play things safe in the debate, and he did exactly that. He didnt try to throw anyone under the bus, or go after anyone with a fury, he was his regular calm and collected self which is exactly what he needed to do to stay at number 2 in the polls. He didnt stand out in any way, and he got a lot of help from the moderators from Fox News, but he played it safe, and thats all he had to do for now.

Scott Walker: C

Scott Walker was the most emotionless drone on the stage that night, which for a GOP debate is a very hard feat to accomplish. He played the safe route just like Bush did, and also didnt get the wrath of the Fox News moderators either, but holy sh** was he uneventful tonight. The best time to go to the bathroom was during a commercial break, or when Scott Walker was fielding a question, because you literally weren't missing anything when he was talking. Scott will probably stay at #3 or #4 in the polls but he is easily the John Kerry of the GOP field right now in that he is just boring as sh**

Mike Huckabee: F

Huckabee's main questions that he got to field were of course related to social issues that he has been made famous for his hardcore conservative stances on. He shat on Planned Parenthood, he shat on Transgender rights, he shat on the Iran Deal when foreign policy began to be discussed, he shat all over the Supreme Court for their decision on the gay Marriage ruling to the point that he said the court had 'Gone Rogue'. But all of that talk took a back seat to his 'Prostitutes, Pimps, and Drug Dealers' remark he made when trying to sell his 'fair tax' idea. Huckabee may have appealed greatly to the hardcore religious in the country, but he shot himself in the foot hard with that single remark with everyone else. Google 'Prostitutes pimps and drug dealers' and Huckabee is now the top result that comes up. He has become a caricature for what critics of the GOP think the GOP is, and that remark is probably going to be how his 2016 run is remembered unless he does something even dumber later. This debate could have gone a lot better for Huckabee, and almost no one shot themselves in the foot harder than he did.

Ben Carson: C+

Ben Carson, when asked a question at one point, wondered out loud "I thought you all had forgotten about me" and that's because im fairly certain that Carson had the least total amount of speaking time of any candidate in the main debate. He got I think 3 or 4 questions tops when Bush and Trump easily got 5 or 6 or more, and he rarely chimed in when other candidate fielded answers, leaving Carson to be pretty quiet for a large majority of the night. He had a few zingers here and there, especially near the end of the debate when every candidate got to say their final remarks, but Carson was handicapped from the beginning by Fox not shooting him many questions in the first place, and although he did the best he could, Carson certainly wont be surging in the polls in the coming days as a result of this debate.

Ted Cruz: D

Ted Cruz didn't even show up to the debate from what I saw. The Harvard debater known for going rogue and being stubborn as a mule was as quiet as Ben Carson was, but unlike Carson, Cruz didnt even have his own bright moments. He didnt have any zingers, he didnt go toe to toe with anyone over an issue, all he did was repeat the same recycled phrases he's used in past rallies and then went back to his own happy place. I thought that Cruz and Paul would work their a**es off to try to get a word in whenever possible in the debate to try to get the spotlight on them, Cruz did no such thing. He showed up to a Q&A Session rather than an actual debate, and while his loyal niche of followers probably think he did great, anyone outside of his fandom likely found him unremarkable and forgettable in this debate. The only thing he did right is that he didnt shoot himself in the foot as hard as Huckabee did.

Marco Rubio: B

I like Rubio. I like Rubio a lot, I was rooting for him in this debate, Im from Florida and naturally feel that much more inclined to root for Rubio, and I do think he would make a great GOP candidate should he be nominated. Early on, he got fielded easy questions like Jeb Bush did. Like Bush, he also played it safe, he didnt try to go after anyone or was looking for blood, for 80% of the debate he did fine. Then he began to unwind towards the end. When asked how to help small businesses he denounced the Dodd-Frank legislation which to anyone who knows anything about that legislation knows that it is aimed at big banks and not small businesses. He also dropped the ball pretty hard on the religion question asked at the end of the debate. Just asked Mirza about it to get an idea of how crazy his remarks were if you dont believe me. Rubio is one of the more moderate candidates in the field, but he did himself no favors by trying to appeal to the hardcore religious the way he did at the end of the debate, and it alienated a good number of independent and left leaning voters who had cut him some slack for most of the debate. His gaffe wasn't as crazy or memorable as anything Trump or Huckabee said, but its still enough to make someone
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:13:40 AM
Rand Paul: A

Rand Paul's polling numbers have slid from 10% in May of this year down to 4.5% at the time of the debate. I expected him and Ted Cruz to really go after other candidates and steal the spotlight as much as possible to try to boost their numbers, and while Cruz did no such thing, Paul did exactly that. From the very beginning he tried to wrestle a question away from Donald Trump right when the debate began, he spoke with a fire and rhetoric that no other candidate except Trump had matched, but his spat with Chris Christie was what sealed the deal. Paul and Christie have had bad blood with each other over the NSA for quite a while, and when the issue came up, Christie and Paul went at each other with a fury. If there was a moment where you thought punches might start getting thrown, it was when Christie and Paul duked it out over the NSA. Paul fought for the spotlight, and he got it quite a bit, which was exactly what he needed to do to stay in the race and try to keep his fan base energized. He may not have had any zingers or memorable lines or outright won the debate, but his heated showdown with Christie and his fiery rhetoric is exactly what he needed to showcase tonight, and it was more than enough to get casual voters to give him a better look as the primary race drags on.

Chris Christie: D

Holy sh*t. For those of you who forgot how Chris Christie can operate with a bit of bully mentality, you were rudely reminded of that in the debate tonight when he and Rand Paul went at it. Christie didnt get that many questions to begin with, and whereas the brash, dont-hold-punches technique is what is making Trump soar in the polls, it only serves as more and more of a liability for Christie. The signature moment for Christie in this debate was how heated he got when duking it out with Rand Paul over the NSA, which Paul probably knew would happen and also knew if he could get Christie riled up, he could get Christie to lose his nerve. Rand took a jab at Christie for hugging Obama when New Jersey was dealing with Hurricane Sandy, and Christie responded by remarking about hugging the families of 9/11. I was wondering which candidate would bring up 9/11 first to try to appeal to the emotion of the crowd, it turned out it was Christie, and he did it at literally one of the worst possible times in one of the worst possible circumstances when he could have easily just taken the high road and made Paul look like a bully on a playground. Instead, he went back to his old habits, and really made an a** out of himself. Some people might like how Christie doesnt pull punches, but it was really off-putting to anyone who were unfamiliar with Christie up until this point.

John Kasich: A+

John Kasich was the least known candidate on the stage that night and also one of the most moderate candidates who was at the debate as well. You would have to be pretty moderate to be elected the governor of Ohio though. Kasich though shined in the debate tonight. He was as calm and collected as Bush and Rubio, and like them he relied on his wits to outline his policies and his beliefs he is campaigning on. He certainly has the ability to appeal to independent voters like Rubio or Paul even though he has the fame of neither of them, but then came the moment about gay marriage. Kasich was asked what he thought of the ruling and what he would do if his kids came out to him as gay, and he hit the nail on the f*cking head with his answer. He didnt go off on the Supreme Court like Huckabee did, and instead basically stated that even though he disagreed with the ruling, he respects it and would not challenge it, and I can testify that that statement alone won him major points with moderates and those on the left who were looking for someone to root for in this debate.

But then he got better. He doubled down on accepting his kids if they came out as gay to him, even saying "Because somebody doesn't think the way I do doesn't mean that I can't care about them or I can't love them. So if one of my daughters happened to be that, of course I would love them and I would accept them. Because you know what? That's what we're taught when we have strong faith."

^ And that earned him applause! Do you know how f*cking hard it has to be for a GOP candidate to get a crowd at a Fox News held republican debate to applaud taking the moderate stance on gay marriage, especially when other candidates like Huckabee and Cruz want constitutional amendments to define marriage between a man and a woman? Kasich hit a homerun out of the damn ballpark on the Gay Marriage question, and i'm pretty damn sure that he's going to be luring a lot of the moderate voters into his camp in the coming weeks. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he leapfrogs from #10 in the polls up into the top 5 in the coming weeks.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:17:13 AM
So Just for the sake of organization and rankings:

1) John Kasich = A+
2) Rand Paul = A
3) Donald Trump = A-
4) Jeb Bush = B+
5) Marco Rubio = B
6) Ben Carson = C+
7) Scott Walker = C
8) Ted Cruz = D
9) Chris Christie = D
10) Mike Huckabee = F

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:29:45 AM
I agree with your assessment. Lol @ Huckabee frothing at the mouth and threatening to strip the judicial branch of its powers. I would vote for Kasich at this point. Rubio's social conservationism is going to the a ball and chain to him. You can tell that people want to like him, but then he has this sort of grotesque aspect to him that shows its face at the most inopportune times, and shocks everyone out of being charmed.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:55:52 AM
At 8/7/2015 6:13:11 AM, imabench wrote:
Alright if youre reading this then chances are you watched the debate last night and saw a lot of crazy stuff go down. Trump sh*tting on Rosie O'Donnell, Rand Paul and Chris Christie almost throwing punches at each other, Huckabee's already infamous like. A lot of stuff happened, and while everyone probably has their own opinion of who they think won, here is how I believe each candidate did tonight:

Donald Trump: A-

Now let me clarify I am a dirty filthy hippie liberal for the most part.

Why don't you take a shower and then become a hippie liberal? It sounds much nicer.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 7:31:28 AM

It was fun to post with you and the others while watching the debate.

Couple thoughts:

Fox News baited and biased nothing new. Their Megyn is a create example of why I don't watch Fox news

John Kasich - I like this guy smart, non-condescending and genuine - A
Marco Rubio - serious, presidential, but he lost me on his views of abortion - C+
Donald Trump - Honest, brazin, but arrogant - He has got the GOP by the balls and will effect the party no matter if he runs as GOP or an Independent (double edge) - C+

Note worthy disappointments:
Chris Christy, Rand Paul, Scott Walker I really expected more more of these guys.

The Others just affirmed my distrust and dislike for them

NOTE: My political opinions may be subject to change
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 1:26:04 PM
Aligned on everything except Rand. I didn't see whole debate but did see Paul/ Christie exchange. Paul needs to bring new people to fold, not energize his base. I think his smirk at end of exchange when Christie talking about emotional 9/11 bit was off putting to the people he needs to bring in.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 3:42:22 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:17:13 AM, imabench wrote:

1) John Kasich = A+
2) Rand Paul = A
3) Donald Trump = A-
4) Jeb Bush = B+
5) Marco Rubio = B
6) Ben Carson = C+
7) Scott Walker = C
8) Ted Cruz = D
9) Chris Christie = D
10) Mike Huckabee = F

Kasich easily won this debate, I agree. However, I think Trump hurt himself bad, because crazily, some people were willing to say he could develop into the next Reagan, and appeal to independents, but this debate killed that. He cannot appeal to women anymore. Rand would be that good had it not been for the 9/11 eye roll. Although it was low handed by Christie to even mention it, Paul should not have let that side show in the GOP debate. Jeb stuttered a bit too much. He didn't seem as confident. Marco Rubio did a pretty good job, as a Republican debate could go. Carson also did a pretty good job, I think. I tell you what though, Scott Walker can put people right to sleep, and Ted Cruz is the most generic candidate I've ever seen, in terms of generic tea party candidates. Christ Christie, as I have said on Facebook, is the living embodiment of New Jersey, and Huckabee was a real disappointment. The rest of the night, he was forgettable at best, your raving grandpa at worst. But the pimps and hookers... XD

Tl;Dr: Kasich 2016
#FeeltheFreezerBern
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:03:34 PM
At 8/7/2015 1:26:04 PM, slo1 wrote:
Aligned on everything except Rand. I didn't see whole debate but did see Paul/ Christie exchange. Paul needs to bring new people to fold, not energize his base. I think his smirk at end of exchange when Christie talking about emotional 9/11 bit was off putting to the people he needs to bring in.

Rand's numbers have slid over the past few months from 10% down to 4%, what he needed to do (in my opinion) was try his best to bring the spotlight onto himself and speak with the same fiery rhetoric he is known for. He did exactly that, which is why I gave him a good grade for his performance, though you are probably correct that he was off-putting to the people he needs to bring to his side

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:07:13 PM
At 8/7/2015 3:42:22 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

1) John Kasich = A+
2) Rand Paul = A
3) Donald Trump = A-
4) Jeb Bush = B+
5) Marco Rubio = B
6) Ben Carson = C+
7) Scott Walker = C
8) Ted Cruz = D
9) Chris Christie = D
10) Mike Huckabee = F

Kasich easily won this debate, I agree. However, I think Trump hurt himself bad, because crazily, some people were willing to say he could develop into the next Reagan, and appeal to independents, but this debate killed that. He cannot appeal to women anymore.

But the fact that he managed to last through the debate the way he did despite how clearly biased Fox News was against him I think is a miracle in itself. Had any other candidate caught as much hell as Trump did they would have crashed and burned.

Rand would be that good had it not been for the 9/11 eye roll. Although it was low handed by Christie to even mention it,

Agreed

Carson also did a pretty good job, I think.

He did okay for the very limited number of questions he got. Granted thats outside his control, i dont think this debate isnt going to do any favors for his poll numbers

I tell you what though, Scott Walker can put people right to sleep, and Ted Cruz is the most generic candidate I've ever seen, in terms of generic tea party candidates.

I know right!?!?!?! Cruz barely even showed up to the debate and Walker was easily the most boring person on the damn stage.

Christ Christie, as I have said on Facebook, is the living embodiment of New Jersey, and Huckabee was a real disappointment. The rest of the night, he was forgettable at best, your raving grandpa at worst. But the pimps and hookers... XD

That remark is going to haunt him for the rest of the campaign I bet, the same way the 'binder full of women' stuck with Romney until that 47% scandal came out and dethroned it

+1

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:15:27 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:07:13 PM, imabench wrote:

1) John Kasich = A+
2) Rand Paul = A
3) Donald Trump = A-
4) Jeb Bush = B+
5) Marco Rubio = B
6) Ben Carson = C+
7) Scott Walker = C
8) Ted Cruz = D
9) Chris Christie = D
10) Mike Huckabee = F

Kasich easily won this debate, I agree. However, I think Trump hurt himself bad, because crazily, some people were willing to say he could develop into the next Reagan, and appeal to independents, but this debate killed that. He cannot appeal to women anymore.

But the fact that he managed to last through the debate the way he did despite how clearly biased Fox News was against him I think is a miracle in itself. Had any other candidate caught as much hell as Trump did they would have crashed and burned.

Perhaps, but in a way, he brought those questions upon himself. It's telling that even Fox News thinks he's insane and needs to be stopped.

Rand would be that good had it not been for the 9/11 eye roll. Although it was low handed by Christie to even mention it,

Agreed

Carson also did a pretty good job, I think.

He did okay for the very limited number of questions he got. Granted thats outside his control, i dont think this debate isnt going to do any favors for his poll numbers

He had some great closing remarks. The best, I think. I think he distinguished himself by pointing out that he didn't get many questions. He's very likable.

I tell you what though, Scott Walker can put people right to sleep, and Ted Cruz is the most generic candidate I've ever seen, in terms of generic tea party candidates.

I know right!?!?!?! Cruz barely even showed up to the debate and Walker was easily the most boring person on the damn stage.

He's rising to the Al Gore leagues of boring debators. Hell, the Kennedy-Nixon Black and White debate was more interesting than either Gore or Walker.

Christ Christie, as I have said on Facebook, is the living embodiment of New Jersey, and Huckabee was a real disappointment. The rest of the night, he was forgettable at best, your raving grandpa at worst. But the pimps and hookers... XD

That remark is going to haunt him for the rest of the campaign I bet, the same way the 'binder full of women' stuck with Romney until that 47% scandal came out and dethroned it

Maybe. It'll definitely be brought up, but I'm not sure it'll hurt him as bad as Binders full of Women.

+1
#FeeltheFreezerBern
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:39:56 PM

1) John Kasich = A+

Agree

2) Rand Paul = A

Disagree. I agree with him on the issue of privacy, but he got his @ss handed to him by Christie. Further, I think all of his shouting was fake excitement. He turned me off.

3) Donald Trump = A-

Disagree. Sure, he got asked some hard questions, but since I am a conservative they were good at painting him as a liberal-leaner. Further, he dodged the question on investors and job losses, focusing only on investors. He gets a D.

4) Jeb Bush = B+

I would give him a B-. But yeah, I think he is in the B range. I think B+ is too nice for him--he deserves lower than Rubio.

5) Marco Rubio = B

I give him an A+ like Kasich. Here is why:

(1) People see him as Bush lite. His fight with Jeb on common core was a winner for him.
(2) His zinger on how the Dems have no good candidates and on resume competition was good
(3) He had a good argument regarding how liberals can't use their best line of attack on him: class warfare.
- Can't use student loan debt
- Can't use the "you don't know what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck"
- We can use an Obama "forward" phrase
- We can use the anti dynastic argument

6) Ben Carson = C+

I would give him a solid B. He was meh at the beginning, but had the best closing. It redeemed his night.

7) Scott Walker = C

Agreed. He was boring.

8) Ted Cruz = D

Agree. He underperformed

9) Chris Christie = D

Nah, he did fine.

10) Mike Huckabee = F

I think he did really well, too. Just because he is extreme doesn't mean he lost. He had a good showing. B+.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:40:44 PM
At 8/7/2015 7:31:28 AM, ironslippers wrote:

Couple thoughts:

Fox News baited and biased nothing new. Their Megyn is a create example of why I don't watch Fox news

Marco Rubio - serious, presidential, but he lost me on his views of abortion - C+

I don't grade them on if I disagree with them. I like O'Malley on the Dem side, but I think he will get rekt in their debates.

Donald Trump - Honest, brazin, but arrogant - He has got the GOP by the balls and will effect the party no matter if he runs as GOP or an Independent (double edge) - C+

Chris Christy, Rand Paul, Scott Walker I really expected more more of these guys.

"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:41:47 PM

1) John Kasich = A+
2) Rand Paul = A
3) Donald Trump = A-
4) Jeb Bush = B+
5) Marco Rubio = B
6) Ben Carson = C+
7) Scott Walker = C
8) Ted Cruz = D
9) Chris Christie = D
10) Mike Huckabee = F

Kasich easily won this debate, I agree. However, I think Trump hurt himself bad, because crazily, some people were willing to say he could develop into the next Reagan, and appeal to independents, but this debate killed that. He cannot appeal to women anymore. Rand would be that good had it not been for the 9/11 eye roll. Although it was low handed by Christie to even mention it, Paul should not have let that side show in the GOP debate. Jeb stuttered a bit too much. He didn't seem as confident. Marco Rubio did a pretty good job, as a Republican debate could go. Carson also did a pretty good job, I think. I tell you what though, Scott Walker can put people right to sleep, and Ted Cruz is the most generic candidate I've ever seen, in terms of generic tea party candidates. Christ Christie, as I have said on Facebook, is the living embodiment of New Jersey, and Huckabee was a real disappointment. The rest of the night, he was forgettable at best, your raving grandpa at worst. But the pimps and hookers... XD

Kasich is my number 2. I still think that Rubio was a winner, with Kasich also doing himself good.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:44:55 PM
Trump: A++
Everyone else: F

Make this man president!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:45:39 PM
no but actually in terms of who this will help/hurt...I think the only individual it will make a difference for is Kasich who totally killed it
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:47:00 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:29:45 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I agree with your assessment. Lol @ Huckabee frothing at the mouth and threatening to strip the judicial branch of its powers. I would vote for Kasich at this point. Rubio's social conservationism is going to the a ball and chain to him. You can tell that people want to like him, but then he has this sort of grotesque aspect to him that shows its face at the most inopportune times, and shocks everyone out of being charmed.

I actually agree with Huck. Judicial Supremacy is unconstitutional.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:54:07 PM

I am a Rubio fanboy, so I must respond.

Marco Rubio: B

I like Rubio. I like Rubio a lot, I was rooting for him in this debate, Im from Florida and naturally feel that much more inclined to root for Rubio, and I do think he would make a great GOP candidate should he be nominated. Early on, he got fielded easy questions like Jeb Bush did. Like Bush, he also played it safe, he didnt try to go after anyone or was looking for blood, for 80% of the debate he did fine.

Yep he did great at the beginning.

Then he began to unwind towards the end. When asked how to help small businesses he denounced the Dodd-Frank legislation which to anyone who knows anything about that legislation knows that it is aimed at big banks and not small businesses.

Untrue. Small banks have been adversely affected (https://www.stlouisfed.org...).

The law tightens the lending industry, even to individuals and businesses that are not high risk, just for having low credit scores in the past. This prevents and reduces the threat of default, of course, but it has unintended consequences on businesses and individuals that need a loan to continue business as usual. Being able to ensure a $300 to $2500 loan is extremely important. They may need this small amount of money to get them through a rough month, pay for other burdensome regulations *cough* ICD-10 is dumb and messes up private practice *cough*. Dodd-Frank indirectly harms small businesses, and harms small banks.

I don't know enough about the law to advocate a repeal, but it is not a free-lunch and Rubio's statement is not incorrect.

He also dropped the ball pretty hard on the religion question asked at the end of the debate.

I don't remember what he said.

Just asked Mirza about it to get an idea of how crazy his remarks were if you dont believe me. Rubio is one of the more moderate candidates in the field, but he did himself no favors by trying to appeal to the hardcore religious the way he did at the end of the debate, and it alienated a good number of independent and left leaning voters who had cut him some slack for most of the debate.

I am being dumb and forgot his response. I will look it up, but I don't remember any of his answers rubbing me the wrong way.

His gaffe wasn't as crazy or memorable
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 5:11:09 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:41:47 PM, 16kadams wrote:

1) John Kasich = A+
2) Rand Paul = A
3) Donald Trump = A-
4) Jeb Bush = B+
5) Marco Rubio = B
6) Ben Carson = C+
7) Scott Walker = C
8) Ted Cruz = D
9) Chris Christie = D
10) Mike Huckabee = F

Kasich is my number 2. I still think that Rubio was a winner, with Kasich also doing himself good.

Post #6500:

Rubio was pretty good, as I said. I think the whole God portion of the debate was wonky, even for Fox News to put it in the debate, and Rubio's answer was laughable. But overall, I think he did a good job with getting the Republicans to like him, and that's what counts.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 5:13:18 PM
At 8/7/2015 5:11:09 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

1) John Kasich = A+
2) Rand Paul = A
3) Donald Trump = A-
4) Jeb Bush = B+
5) Marco Rubio = B
6) Ben Carson = C+
7) Scott Walker = C
8) Ted Cruz = D
9) Chris Christie = D
10) Mike Huckabee = F

Post #6500:

Rubio was pretty good, as I said. I think the whole God portion of the debate was wonky, even for Fox News to put it in the debate, and Rubio's answer was laughable. But overall, I think he did a good job with getting the Republicans to like him, and that's what counts.

Is there a link to that? I seriously forgot what he said, XD
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 5:15:12 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:45:39 PM, thett3 wrote:
no but actually in terms of who this will help/hurt...I think the only individual it will make a difference for is Kasich who totally killed it

I think a lot of armchair quarterbacks on the Internet are saying that Kasich only looked good because it was in Ohio. But I think that doesn't matter, even if he had that advantage, because it IS important to have the Ohio vote. Kasich really made a name for himself, and should rise more in the polls. Walker, Cruz, and Christie ought to drop. Rand will stand still at his number. Rubio and Kasich will rise. Jeb will stay at #2. Trump will stay at #1, because his 25% likely won't go up, and that 25% is going to need a lot more to abandon him.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 5:15:14 PM

1) John Kasich = A+
2) Rand Paul = A
3) Donald Trump = A-
4) Jeb Bush = B+
5) Marco Rubio = B
6) Ben Carson = C+
7) Scott Walker = C
8) Ted Cruz = D
9) Chris Christie = D
10) Mike Huckabee = F

Post #6500:

Just looked it up. I think his answer was hilarious, LOL.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 5:16:49 PM
At 8/7/2015 5:15:14 PM, 16kadams wrote:

1) John Kasich = A+
2) Rand Paul = A
3) Donald Trump = A-
4) Jeb Bush = B+
5) Marco Rubio = B
6) Ben Carson = C+
7) Scott Walker = C
8) Ted Cruz = D
9) Chris Christie = D
10) Mike Huckabee = F

Post #6500:

Just looked it up. I think his answer was hilarious, LOL.

Mirza made a thread on it. That answer was just... Great.

This GOP debate didn't let me down.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 5:34:41 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:54:07 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Dodd-Frank indirectly harms small businesses, and harms small banks.

But surely there are better ways to help out small businesses before having to resort to repealing Dodd-Frank though

1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:08:21 PM
I don't think Fox News has a bias against Trump at all. He's pretty much the only reason the TV ratings for this debate completely shattered previous records. I think the moderators know that Trump draws huge amounts of viewers in with his unapologetic, unpredictable and controversial demeanor, so they naturally spent more time asking him questions. They may disagree with his views, but he's a big time revenue stream for anyone that covers him right now.

In fact, I noticed that pretty much every question was phrased as to potentially make Trump say something highly antagonizing, like his remarks on Mexican immigrants and John McCain. Imagine the commotion if Kelly was successful with her attempt at baiting Trump into saying something disparaging of women. This is showbiz.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:09:39 PM
At 8/7/2015 5:34:41 PM, imabench wrote:
At 8/7/2015 4:54:07 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Dodd-Frank indirectly harms small businesses, and harms small banks.

But surely there are better ways to help out small businesses before having to resort to repealing Dodd-Frank though

Reapealing Dodd-Frank is only part of his regulatory plan. I dunno if I'd fully repeal it, but his basic premise (that it's bad) is correct.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 11:51:50 PM
At 8/7/2015 4:47:00 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/7/2015 6:29:45 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I actually agree with Huck. Judicial Supremacy is unconstitutional.

Someone should tell that to the people who wrote the constitution and included the Supremacy Clause. Or to the court which established judicial review in Marbury v. Madison. A case which took place in 1803, and which has been the basis of US law for over two centuries. Or to Alexander Hamilton, who explicitly stated in the Federalist Papers that judicial supremacy and the power of judicial review are necessary. But I'm sure that you're a more competent interpreter of the law than the Founding Fathers and hundreds of Supreme Court Justices.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:15:39 AM
At 8/7/2015 4:40:44 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 8/7/2015 7:31:28 AM, ironslippers wrote:

Couple thoughts:

I don't grade them on if I disagree with them. I like O'Malley on the Dem side, but I think he will get rekt in their debates.

I don't grade them solely on their ability to debate. Rubio if elected would be representing an entire nation not just his self-centric opinion, most of those on the stage share his opinion but you don't see them stating such with the same pious rightiousness.
btw I am "pro-life" but this nation needs to be united not divided and the GOP can only win by courting the centrist/undecided vote wich will contain some that are "pro-choice"
I'll watch for O'Malley

Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers