Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Did Fox Try to Sink Trump in the Debate?

bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Did Fox news try to deliberately torpedo Trump in last night's debate. That was the impression I got while watching, and pundits have expressed this same view. Trump face, arguably, some of the toughest questions by far during the debate, particularly the first two queries of the night. Rachel Maddow does an interesting analysis of this possibility here [http://www.msnbc.com...]. So, do you think Fox tried to dump Trump? And, if so, did they succeed?

=================

And, as an interesting aside, I'll note some of Rachel's comments about the other debaters here...They're pretty funny:

- "Asked early on about his family, Bush said, 'I've got a record in Florida. I'm proud of my dad, and I'm certainly proud of my brother. In Florida, they called me Jeb, because I earned it.' Maybe they called you Jeb because it"s the name you told everyone to call you?"

- "[W]hile Republicans had earlier tried to criticize Hillary Clinton...Rubio told the audience, '[I]f this election is a resume competition, then Hillary Clinton"s going to be the next president.' In other words, Rubio sees Clinton as the most qualified candidate running this cycle. Good to know."

- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 1:41:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
They may have also been going for a reaction that would boost ratings, and the sinking was a collateral effect. People wanted to see a performance from Trump, and it looked like they were goading one out of him with their questions.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 1:42:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
They asked tough questions to all of the main candidates, focusing on their weaknesses. Trump, as the frontrunner, got the most times and the most questions. Only Trump - who wants to be seen as a tough guy - became a p*ssy and whined about it. Tells you more about Trump than Fox.
ironslippers
Posts: 513
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:33:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Did Fox news try to deliberately torpedo Trump in last night's debate. That was the impression I got while watching, and pundits have expressed this same view. Trump face, arguably, some of the toughest questions by far during the debate, particularly the first two queries of the night. Rachel Maddow does an interesting analysis of this possibility here [http://www.msnbc.com...]. So, do you think Fox tried to dump Trump? And, if so, did they succeed?

=================

And, as an interesting aside, I'll note some of Rachel's comments about the other debaters here...They're pretty funny:

- "Asked early on about his family, Bush said, 'I've got a record in Florida. I'm proud of my dad, and I'm certainly proud of my brother. In Florida, they called me Jeb, because I earned it.' Maybe they called you Jeb because it"s the name you told everyone to call you?"

Proof that Fox came down equally as hard on Bush as Trump it just just played out different because Bush is to dense to make a stand as an individual, seeing that his support comes from daddy's base it's not suprising. The Veto Corleone comment was desperate and off-topic

- "[W]hile Republicans had earlier tried to criticize Hillary Clinton...Rubio told the audience, '[I]f this election is a resume competition, then Hillary Clinton"s going to be the next president.' In other words, Rubio sees Clinton as the most qualified candidate running this cycle. Good to know."

- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."

disagree, Kasichs run will be formidable, keep in mind the GOP can only win by winning the undecided/centrist vote, they already have the the Republican extremist vote no matter who they run.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:35:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 2:33:18 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Did Fox news try to deliberately torpedo Trump in last night's debate. That was the impression I got while watching, and pundits have expressed this same view. Trump face, arguably, some of the toughest questions by far during the debate, particularly the first two queries of the night. Rachel Maddow does an interesting analysis of this possibility here [http://www.msnbc.com...]. So, do you think Fox tried to dump Trump? And, if so, did they succeed?

=================

And, as an interesting aside, I'll note some of Rachel's comments about the other debaters here...They're pretty funny:

- "Asked early on about his family, Bush said, 'I've got a record in Florida. I'm proud of my dad, and I'm certainly proud of my brother. In Florida, they called me Jeb, because I earned it.' Maybe they called you Jeb because it"s the name you told everyone to call you?"

Proof that Fox came down equally as hard on Bush as Trump

Bush's bad answer and Fox's obvious question is hardly indicative that the latter came down on the former.

- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."

disagree, Kasichs run will be formidable, keep in mind the GOP can only win by winning the undecided/centrist vote, they already have the the Republican extremist vote no matter who they run.

You're thinking general, not primary. Kasich is to mainstream to win a primary.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ironslippers
Posts: 513
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:39:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 2:35:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:33:18 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Did Fox news try to deliberately torpedo Trump in last night's debate. That was the impression I got while watching, and pundits have expressed this same view. Trump face, arguably, some of the toughest questions by far during the debate, particularly the first two queries of the night. Rachel Maddow does an interesting analysis of this possibility here [http://www.msnbc.com...]. So, do you think Fox tried to dump Trump? And, if so, did they succeed?

=================

And, as an interesting aside, I'll note some of Rachel's comments about the other debaters here...They're pretty funny:

- "Asked early on about his family, Bush said, 'I've got a record in Florida. I'm proud of my dad, and I'm certainly proud of my brother. In Florida, they called me Jeb, because I earned it.' Maybe they called you Jeb because it"s the name you told everyone to call you?"

Proof that Fox came down equally as hard on Bush as Trump

Bush's bad answer and Fox's obvious question is hardly indicative that the latter came down on the former.

- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."

disagree, Kasichs run will be formidable, keep in mind the GOP can only win by winning the undecided/centrist vote, they already have the the Republican extremist vote no matter who they run.

You're thinking general, not primary. Kasich is to mainstream to win a primary.

explain hoiw being mainstream hurts the GOP
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:40:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Did Fox news try to deliberately torpedo Trump in last night's debate. That was the impression I got while watching, and pundits have expressed this same view. Trump face, arguably, some of the toughest questions by far during the debate, particularly the first two queries of the night. Rachel Maddow does an interesting analysis of this possibility here [http://www.msnbc.com...]. So, do you think Fox tried to dump Trump? And, if so, did they succeed?

=================

And, as an interesting aside, I'll note some of Rachel's comments about the other debaters here...They're pretty funny:

- "Asked early on about his family, Bush said, 'I've got a record in Florida. I'm proud of my dad, and I'm certainly proud of my brother. In Florida, they called me Jeb, because I earned it.' Maybe they called you Jeb because it"s the name you told everyone to call you?"

- "[W]hile Republicans had earlier tried to criticize Hillary Clinton...Rubio told the audience, '[I]f this election is a resume competition, then Hillary Clinton"s going to be the next president.' In other words, Rubio sees Clinton as the most qualified candidate running this cycle. Good to know."

- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."

I think Fox News definitely had an unfair bias towards Trump in an attempt to make him look bad. Because of this he also had the most speaking time, as Imabench pointed out, and I think that Trump did a fairly good job of reflecting those "torpedoes".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:42:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 2:39:45 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:35:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:33:18 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."

disagree, Kasichs run will be formidable, keep in mind the GOP can only win by winning the undecided/centrist vote, they already have the the Republican extremist vote no matter who they run.

You're thinking general, not primary. Kasich is to mainstream to win a primary.

explain hoiw being mainstream hurts the GOP

It doesn't hurt the GOP, but it means that he won't get nominated. It's a statistical fact that GOP primaries are far more right-wing than general elections. So, to win the primary process, you need to be more conservative than Kasich is being.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ironslippers
Posts: 513
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:46:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 2:42:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:39:45 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:35:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:33:18 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."

disagree, Kasichs run will be formidable, keep in mind the GOP can only win by winning the undecided/centrist vote, they already have the the Republican extremist vote no matter who they run.

You're thinking general, not primary. Kasich is to mainstream to win a primary.

explain hoiw being mainstream hurts the GOP

It doesn't hurt the GOP, but it means that he won't get nominated. It's a statistical fact that GOP primaries are far more right-wing than general elections. So, to win the primary process, you need to be more conservative than Kasich is being.

I see your point... I think that would qualify as pandering
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:47:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 2:46:46 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:42:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:39:45 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:35:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:33:18 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."

disagree, Kasichs run will be formidable, keep in mind the GOP can only win by winning the undecided/centrist vote, they already have the the Republican extremist vote no matter who they run.

You're thinking general, not primary. Kasich is to mainstream to win a primary.

explain hoiw being mainstream hurts the GOP

It doesn't hurt the GOP, but it means that he won't get nominated. It's a statistical fact that GOP primaries are far more right-wing than general elections. So, to win the primary process, you need to be more conservative than Kasich is being.

I see your point... I think that would qualify as pandering

Yes, it is pandering, but it's necessary for Kasich to advance to a general, and he's just not pandering.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ironslippers
Posts: 513
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:56:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 2:47:53 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:46:46 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:42:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:39:45 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:35:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/8/2015 2:33:18 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."

disagree, Kasichs run will be formidable, keep in mind the GOP can only win by winning the undecided/centrist vote, they already have the the Republican extremist vote no matter who they run.

You're thinking general, not primary. Kasich is to mainstream to win a primary.

explain hoiw being mainstream hurts the GOP

It doesn't hurt the GOP, but it means that he won't get nominated. It's a statistical fact that GOP primaries are far more right-wing than general elections. So, to win the primary process, you need to be more conservative than Kasich is being.

I see your point... I think that would qualify as pandering

Yes, it is pandering, but it's necessary for Kasich to advance to a general, and he's just not pandering.

All the more reason to give him my support

digress

to the question that I failed to answer in my 1st post
Did Fox Try to Sink Trump in the Debate?
Yes,
Trump was uneffected
point Trump
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
ecco
Posts: 180
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 3:21:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 2:56:02 AM, ironslippers wrote:

digress

to the question that I failed to answer in my 1st post
Did Fox Try to Sink Trump in the Debate?
Yes,
Trump was uneffected
point Trump

Conservative commentator Erick Erickson on Friday night disinvited GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump from speaking at an activist conference he is hosting here this weekend, citing disparaging remarks Trump made hours earlier on CNN about Fox News Channel anchor Megyn Kelly.

Trump's candidacy was affected.

The flap over Megyn Kelly is a good cover to disinvite Trump. The real reason may be that Trump is the only Republican candidate who is not a bible thumper.
Think
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 3:32:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Megyn Kelly at one point actually asked Trump when he became a Republican over his prior support of a single-payer healthcare scheme

Had the moderator in the second Romney-Obama debate in 2012 asked Romney when did HE become a republican based on his support of a healthcare system similar to what ultimately became obamacare, conservatives would have completely lost their sh** and started screaming about moderator bias.

For me it is a clear yes that Fox tried to sink Trump in the debate. Whether it will work or not has simply yet to be determined
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 3:34:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."


Here in Ohio, a good majority of us hate the idea of our Governor becoming president. The only reason he even got into office is because we had an exceptionally low voter turn out.

Among his biggest blunders as our Governor was an issue known as Senate Bill 5. Said senate bill would have vastly limited the collective bargaining abilities (unions) available to our public workers. Among which include teachers, police and firefighters. Of which is even more hilarious when you realize that police and firefighters usually tend to vote republican.

He has done some good things, though. Such as his rehab over prison bill for non-violent offenders.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 3:38:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yeah.. this little exchange here made that clear.
Frankly, I'm glad Fox did this. With any luck, it will keep this fool from getting anywhere near our presidency.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Logical-Master
Posts: 2,538
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 11:52:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Fox News is nothing more than a mouth piece for the GOP establishment. And Megyn Kelly is a disgrace. From now on, they should call her show the circular file. I've suspected her of being a phony for some time but am now certain.
Logical-Master
Posts: 2,538
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 12:10:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/8/2015 2:33:18 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/8/2015 1:16:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Did Fox news try to deliberately torpedo Trump in last night's debate. That was the impression I got while watching, and pundits have expressed this same view. Trump face, arguably, some of the toughest questions by far during the debate, particularly the first two queries of the night. Rachel Maddow does an interesting analysis of this possibility here [http://www.msnbc.com...]. So, do you think Fox tried to dump Trump? And, if so, did they succeed?

=================

And, as an interesting aside, I'll note some of Rachel's comments about the other debaters here...They're pretty funny:

- "Asked early on about his family, Bush said, 'I've got a record in Florida. I'm proud of my dad, and I'm certainly proud of my brother. In Florida, they called me Jeb, because I earned it.' Maybe they called you Jeb because it"s the name you told everyone to call you?"

Proof that Fox came down equally as hard on Bush as Trump it just just played out different because Bush is to dense to make a stand as an individual, seeing that his support comes from daddy's base it's not suprising. The Veto Corleone comment was desperate and off-topic

- "[W]hile Republicans had earlier tried to criticize Hillary Clinton...Rubio told the audience, '[I]f this election is a resume competition, then Hillary Clinton"s going to be the next president.' In other words, Rubio sees Clinton as the most qualified candidate running this cycle. Good to know."

- "The Ohio governor, playing to a hometown crowd, came across as knowledgeable and sincere, even offering an eloquent defense of the Affordable Care Act. Naturally, he's doomed."

disagree, Kasichs run will be formidable, keep in mind the GOP can only win by winning the undecided/centrist vote, they already have the the Republican extremist vote no matter who they run.

What? No. Romney won the independent vote.

http://www.usnews.com...

A great deal of us bigoted, knuckledragging, bible thumping, Constitution loving, free market enthusiastic extremists stayed home or voted third party.

It's a myth. One a great deal of successful Demcrats don't even believe in. I assure you that the success of Bernie Sanders isn't because he knows how wow people who are independent.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,395
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:13:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, the idea is Trump is unelectable, yet the polls give him higher numbers that the other guys. What this means is the republicans need to find a good candidate, not any of these guys.