Jump to topic:

Republican Assault on Trump May Only Make Him

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 4:19:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Amazing...I did not ever expect a situation where an entertainment magazine would be able to provide more salient political commentary than other outlets. This is the Age of Trump:

What the Goldbergs and the Wills and Krauthammers of the world probably don't get is that by singling Trump out for abuse, they're almost certainly boosting his campaign. First of all, while it might have looked like a damning image to see Trump alone onstage with his hand up and refusing to pledge not to run as an Independent, on another level it was a great Trump moment. As it has been all season, there was Trump, and everyone else. That scene just made the other nine guys onstage look like what they are, stooges beholden to their party and their donors, unable to think for themselves.

The main argument of all of Trump's conservative critics seems to be, "He's not a real Republican! He'll destroy the party establishment!" The people making these criticisms seem to assume that conservative voters will see this as a bad thing.

But there are plenty of Tea Party-type voters out there who hate the Republican Party establishment almost as much as they hate the Democrats. There are also plenty of right-wing voters who think George Will and Charles Krauthammer are smug media weasels only slightly less disgusting than the Rachel Maddows and Keith Olbermanns of the world. A know-it-all is a know-it-all.

Trump's followers are a gang of pissed-off nativists who are tired of being laughed at, belittled, dismissed, and told who to vote for. So it seems incredible that the Republican establishment thinks it's going to get rid of Trump by laughing at, belittling and dismissing him, and telling his voters who they should be picking.

These hysterical critics are making one of the world's most irredeemable bullies look persecuted and like a victim, a difficult feat. The desperation to get rid of him may just feed more and more into the right wing base's crazy victim complex, and in turn get Trump even more support.

Witness the death of the GOP.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 4:20:48 PM
Full title:

Republican Assault on Trump May Only Make Him Stronger

Link:

http://www.rollingstone.com...
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 4:40:59 PM
At 8/8/2015 4:20:48 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Full title:

Link:

Seeing as how the assault on him up to this point has catapulted him to the top of the GOP polls, I agree with ya that the GOP trying to double down on the smearing is only going to consolidate voters to his side
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 7:31:24 PM
At 8/8/2015 4:40:59 PM, imabench wrote:
At 8/8/2015 4:20:48 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Full title:

Link:

Seeing as how the assault on him up to this point has catapulted him to the top of the GOP polls, I agree with ya that the GOP trying to double down on the smearing is only going to consolidate voters to his side

well we agree on something the more the establishment media and politics attack the more support I give. They fear him to death. They have no leverage or influence over him. Which is what is precisely wrong with govt. Why does anyone have to bribe congressmen to get anything done? It's nothing more than mafia style shake downs and protection.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 7:37:00 PM
At 8/8/2015 4:19:42 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Amazing...I did not ever expect a situation where an entertainment magazine would be able to provide more salient political commentary than other outlets. This is the Age of Trump:

What the Goldbergs and the Wills and Krauthammers of the world probably don't get is that by singling Trump out for abuse, they're almost certainly boosting his campaign. First of all, while it might have looked like a damning image to see Trump alone onstage with his hand up and refusing to pledge not to run as an Independent, on another level it was a great Trump moment. As it has been all season, there was Trump, and everyone else. That scene just made the other nine guys onstage look like what they are, stooges beholden to their party and their donors, unable to think for themselves.

The main argument of all of Trump's conservative critics seems to be, "He's not a real Republican! He'll destroy the party establishment!" The people making these criticisms seem to assume that conservative voters will see this as a bad thing.

But there are plenty of Tea Party-type voters out there who hate the Republican Party establishment almost as much as they hate the Democrats. There are also plenty of right-wing voters who think George Will and Charles Krauthammer are smug media weasels only slightly less disgusting than the Rachel Maddows and Keith Olbermanns of the world. A know-it-all is a know-it-all.

Trump's followers are a gang of pissed-off nativists who are tired of being laughed at, belittled, dismissed, and told who to vote for. So it seems incredible that the Republican establishment thinks it's going to get rid of Trump by laughing at, belittling and dismissing him, and telling his voters who they should be picking.

These hysterical critics are making one of the world's most irredeemable bullies look persecuted and like a victim, a difficult feat. The desperation to get rid of him may just feed more and more into the right wing base's crazy victim complex, and in turn get Trump even more support.

Death of the GOP? They've been dead for years now. Only now is it abundantly clear that they don't represent conservatives. Not just that, but Fox News is simply nothing more than a mouth piece for the thugs on Capitol Hill. I'm amazed when my liberal friends trash it for being biased towards conservatives. LMAO! If only. Fox News, like every other network, has an agenda alright, but it ain't about us and never will be.

This wasn't a debate, but rather an endorsement of the candidates they like (rather, the candidates who are most likely to keep the status quo), a snubbing of the candidates they dislike (notice how Ted Cruz, a man whose raised the most grassroot money by far, gets ignored or given worthless questions throughout the entire debate) and and an attempted but failed assassination of Donald Trump.

Say what you like about Mr. Trump, but it isn't the moderator's job to be attacking him. If anyone wants to go toe-to-toe with him, let the candidates do it. There is no reason the moderators should have had 1/3 of the entire debate consumed by themselves.

All in all, a pathetic debate and an FU to the GOP base. I strongly oppose Mr. Trump on a number of issues, but I'll take him over another Bush. I find it hilarious how Fox is all mad about the possibility of a third party run. Because that guarantees Hillary the win right? Because we're guaranteed to lose out on such "great leadership" like that of John Boehner and Mitch McConnel? Oh yeah, Jed Bush is definitely gonna turn things around. What a joke.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 4:25:27 PM
At 8/8/2015 7:37:00 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

Death of the GOP? They've been dead for years now. Only now is it abundantly clear that they don't represent conservatives. Not just that, but Fox News is simply nothing more than a mouth piece for the thugs on Capitol Hill. I'm amazed when my liberal friends trash it for being biased towards conservatives. LMAO! If only. Fox News, like every other network, has an agenda alright, but it ain't about us and never will be.

This wasn't a debate, but rather an endorsement of the candidates they like (rather, the candidates who are most likely to keep the status quo), a snubbing of the candidates they dislike (notice how Ted Cruz, a man whose raised the most grassroot money by far, gets ignored or given worthless questions throughout the entire debate) and and an attempted but failed assassination of Donald Trump.

Say what you like about Mr. Trump, but it isn't the moderator's job to be attacking him. If anyone wants to go toe-to-toe with him, let the candidates do it. There is no reason the moderators should have had 1/3 of the entire debate consumed by themselves.

All in all, a pathetic debate and an FU to the GOP base. I strongly oppose Mr. Trump on a number of issues, but I'll take him over another Bush. I find it hilarious how Fox is all mad about the possibility of a third party run. Because that guarantees Hillary the win right? Because we're guaranteed to lose out on such "great leadership" like that of John Boehner and Mitch McConnel? Oh yeah, Jed Bush is definitely gonna turn things around. What a joke.

Your comment is interesting in highlighting that currently "conservatives" don't have a recognizable brand, if not the GOP. I mean, there are plenty of conservatives that have jumped ship and voted for Obama the past 7 years and you are clearly dissatisfied with many leading Republicans.

What's the alternative? How do conservatives get their voice heard if they cannot win elections? Or, are conservatives satisfied with electing Democrats with a centrist agenda?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 4:26:03 PM
At 8/8/2015 5:54:59 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Great commentary wrich.

Thanks. Yours too. =)
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 4:40:51 PM
I don't think Trump will become the Republic nominee, but I guess I could be wrong since I'm not a Republican. When it comes time for the primaries and caucuses though, reliable GOP voters are going to vote, and unfortunately (for Trump) he doesn't have their support.

The problem with Trump is that he's a hot head and he says anything that comes to his head. He also loves any attention that he can get. If he sees an excellent shot at becoming President while running as an independent, he might take the opportunity. That will hurt the GOP.

I don't think he will be the GOP nominee, but who knows? I think there's more deserving GOP nominees in the running.

Of course, I wont vote for any of them come election time.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:20:43 PM
At 8/9/2015 4:25:27 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 8/8/2015 7:37:00 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

Your comment is interesting in highlighting that currently "conservatives" don't have a recognizable brand, if not the GOP. I mean, there are plenty of conservatives that have jumped ship and voted for Obama the past 7 years and you are clearly dissatisfied with many leading Republicans.

What's the alternative? How do conservatives get their voice heard if they cannot win elections? Or, are conservatives satisfied with electing Democrats with a centrist agenda?

The alternative is a state led article V constitutional convention. We cannot rely on Washington to fix itself and it's no longer a matter of voting "the right person" in.

Also, I don't believe progressives are satisfied with the way things are going either. The popularity of Bernie Sanders is a testament of this. They don't want Hillary. If I were a Democrat, I'd be outraged at Hillary more or less being the presumed nominee, snubbing out any choice I have in the matter.

Right now, the main problem isn't so much difference in ideals as it is go along to get along politicians; establishment thugs who are prominent throughout both parties I don't think it'll make any difference whether Jed Bush or Hillary Clinton get elected. Just as it hasn't made any difference with Mitch McConnell replacing Harry Reid as the Senate majority.
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 7:08:38 PM

I was hesitant to comment but I read this excerpt online and it sums up my idea of Trump. That trump is just another Palin. A last ditch bait-n-switch technique by the GOP insiders.

Copypasting here:

"The Fox strategy here is pretty obvious. Trump is the guy saying things the other guys can't afford to say. The Primaries are all about firing up the base, pandering to the extremists. So Fox (read JEB BUSH)* used Trump to whip up the angry, the old, the hardliners, and (no offense) the uneducated. But when the real politicians suit up, you have to put the tiger back in his cage.

I just don't think Roger Ailes expected Trump to take off as much as he did, so they tried a hatchet job on him last night. Because you can't let this man sink the entire ship, right?

It won't matter though. This is honestly the worst Republican field I've ever seen in a primary election, and that's saying something. Right now, they're working overtime to appeal to the farthest right wing conservatives. But watch what happens next summer when whoever comes out of this clown car as the winner tries to appeal to the masses in a General Election. Watch them backtrack their racist, sexist comments. Watch their hardline stance on abortion soften. Watch them wiggle and lie and flip-flop on everything, and then watch that conservative base turn on them. Because this is American Politics today."

Actually I would call it.. RE BIRTH OF GOP.

*italics is my comment.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 7:09:02 PM
It is Republican opposition to abortion that is producing jerks like Trump. Trump builds a good case for even late stage abortion.
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 7:30:44 PM
At 8/10/2015 7:09:02 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Do you mean

Trump IS a good case for a late stage abortion.

.. :P
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 7:47:24 PM
At 8/10/2015 7:30:44 PM, fazz wrote:

Do you mean

Women cannot tell how their fetuses will turn out. They should be given the right to make a decision and not have some time limit imposed on them. Trump is a good example of a bad fetus gone bad. Allowing women to change their mind will avoid situations like Trump.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 10:28:21 PM
At 8/10/2015 7:47:24 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/10/2015 7:30:44 PM, fazz wrote:

Do you mean

Women cannot tell how their fetuses will turn out. They should be given the right to make a decision and not have some time limit imposed on them. Trump is a good example of a bad fetus gone bad. Allowing women to change their mind will avoid situations like Trump.

lol...