This BlackLivesMatter group is pathetic

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:06:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
https://youtu.be...

I don't much care for Bernie Sanders, politically, but these people are idiots. I'm not surprised though. Democrats need to stand up to this crap. No more "Oh I apologize for saying all lives matter."
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:27:44 AM
As usual, I'm sure something is missing from this.
I mean, how do three people just storm the stage intended for a sitting Senator?
My work here is, finally, done.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:32:02 AM
At 8/9/2015 2:27:44 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I mean, how do three people just storm the stage intended for a sitting Senator?

Protected sacred class. You can't do anything about it.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:34:11 AM
At 8/9/2015 2:32:02 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Protected sacred class. You can't do anything about it.

It doesn't mean the video isn't telling the complete story, which is my issue.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:42:39 AM

Poor planning and poor security I guess. Security is usually quick to get rid of hecklers sitting on the other side of the room. Maybe he didn't want to be accused of being racist afterwards. At any rate, I'm inclined to believe the contents of the video. Bernie's own tweet on the matter appears to corroborate what went down.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:24:42 AM
At 8/9/2015 2:06:54 AM, Logical-Master wrote:

I don't much care for Bernie Sanders, politically, but these people are idiots. I'm not surprised though. Democrats need to stand up to this crap. No more "Oh I apologize for saying all lives matter."

I don't really care for Bernie Sanders either, but after watching that I feel kind of sorry for the guy and I really think he should press charges. Their behavior was absolutely ridiculous.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:35:05 AM
At 8/9/2015 2:42:39 AM, Logical-Master wrote:

Poor planning and poor security I guess. Security is usually quick to get rid of hecklers sitting on the other side of the room. Maybe he didn't want to be accused of being racist afterwards. At any rate, I'm inclined to believe the contents of the video. Bernie's own tweet on the matter appears to corroborate what went down.

yeah, I also saw 1harderthanyouthink post a more detailed Seattle news article.
Don't get me wrong: I did not dispute that those things were said, those actions happened, etc., but the video didn't tell the whole story, as they usually don't.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:42:37 AM
At 8/9/2015 3:24:42 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I don't really care for Bernie Sanders either, but after watching that I feel kind of sorry for the guy and I really think he should press charges. Their behavior was absolutely ridiculous.

Ridiculous it may be, but what charges could be pressed?
It was a public park.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:48:18 AM
At 8/9/2015 3:42:37 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It was a public park.

Yeah, but surely he had reserved the right to hold his event there on that day and to not have to share the location with all sorts of random people who wanted on stage.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 4:14:38 AM
At 8/9/2015 3:48:18 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

It was a public park.

Yeah, but surely he had reserved the right to hold his event there on that day and to not have to share the location with all sorts of random people who wanted on stage.

What part of public park do you not understand?
I can have a permit for a wedding at a public park, but I can't prevent people from being jackasses and disturbing it.
Think of the Westboro Baptist Church protesting funerals. No charges, because it is public.

To close off a public area is the anti-thesis of it being public.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 4:17:52 AM
No more "Oh I apologize for saying all lives matter."

^ This.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 4:51:15 AM

They asked him to and he said yes:

"Organizers couldn't persuade the two to wait and agreed to give them a few minutes. As Sanders stepped back, the women spoke about Ferguson and the killing of Michael Brown and held a four minute moment of silence."

Sounds acceptable until you get to the really f***ed up part:

"When the crowd asked the activists to allow Sanders to speak, one activist called the crowd "white supremacist liberals," according to event participants.

http://news.yahoo.com...

So yeah, it is getting pathetic
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 4:55:24 AM
At 8/9/2015 4:51:15 AM, imabench wrote:

So yeah, it is getting pathetic

I never said it wasn't pathetic, but the video makes it seem like they barged onto the stage and demanded to speak. The narrative suggests it was more of an issue they wanted to continue to speak.
There is a difference, and that explains the obvious questions I had.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:53:39 PM
At 8/9/2015 4:14:38 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It was a public park.

I can have a permit for a wedding at a public park, but I can't prevent people from being jackasses and disturbing it.
Think of the Westboro Baptist Church protesting funerals. No charges, because it is public.

If public parks were really a place where "anything goes", then why would permits be necessary in the first place?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:55:36 PM

It was a public park.

They could probably charge them with disorderly conduct and harassment. They were screaming at them.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:00:27 PM
At 8/9/2015 5:53:39 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It was a public park.

If public parks were really a place where "anything goes", then why would permits be necessary in the first place?

Well, anything goes is a bit hyperbole, but I think you know that.
In my experience, the permit has three functions:
1. Money for the state.
2. The allowance/regulation of stages, electronic equipment, etc. Warning can be given to the public (like street closings), and variances are given (public nuisance to have a concert in the park, right?).
3. An attempt can be made to not overcrowd an area. Imagine if seven rallies were to be scheduled on the steps of City Hall at the same time.

This being said, if the place is still public, it cannot bar people from being there. As I said, look at what Westboro Baptist Church does when protesting funerals. I remember the KKK had a rally somewhere not too long ago, and a counter-rally showed up and was shouting them down. There is no law to prevent this, nor should there be in a public area.
However, people should exercise civility.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:03:09 PM
At 8/9/2015 5:55:36 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It was a public park.

They could probably charge them with disorderly conduct and harassment. They were screaming at them.

Maybe disorderly conduct, I've never read the law, so I don't know what that exactly entails, and Washington may be different than MN, so whatever.
Harassment, I don't think so. They were invited on stage when asked, then refused to leave, which they aren't trespassing to my knowledge.
If they left and were just shouting with all their might from the front row or the sidelines, is that harassment? I don't think so, and they are within their rights to do that.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:11:17 PM
At 8/9/2015 6:03:09 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It was a public park.

Maybe disorderly conduct, I've never read the law, so I don't know what that exactly entails, and Washington may be different than MN, so whatever.
Harassment, I don't think so. They were invited on stage when asked, then refused to leave, which they aren't trespassing to my knowledge.
If they left and were just shouting with all their might from the front row or the sidelines, is that harassment? I don't think so, and they are within their rights to do that.

I haven't either, but I seriously doubt that screaming at people in an aggressive, confrontational manner is protected under the law. If it is, it shouldn't be.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:14:23 PM
At 8/9/2015 6:00:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 8/9/2015 5:53:39 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It was a public park.

Well, anything goes is a bit hyperbole, but I think you know that.
In my experience, the permit has three functions:
1. Money for the state.
2. The allowance/regulation of stages, electronic equipment, etc. Warning can be given to the public (like street closings), and variances are given (public nuisance to have a concert in the park, right?).
3. An attempt can be made to not overcrowd an area. Imagine if seven rallies were to be scheduled on the steps of City Hall at the same time.

This being said, if the place is still public, it cannot bar people from being there. As I said, look at what Westboro Baptist Church does when protesting funerals. I remember the KKK had a rally somewhere not too long ago, and a counter-rally showed up and was shouting them down. There is no law to prevent this, nor should there be in a public area.
However, people should exercise civility.

By "anything goes", I simply meant a place where people are not restricted by any additional regulations.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:20:55 PM
At 8/9/2015 8:11:17 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It was a public park.

I haven't either, but I seriously doubt that screaming at people in an aggressive, confrontational manner is protected under the law. If it is, it shouldn't be.

So, picket lines should be illegal?
So should protests at abortion clinics, funerals, and political rallies?

As to your anything goes comment, I said you knew that. I knew what you meant.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:24:39 PM
At 8/9/2015 8:20:55 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 8/9/2015 8:11:17 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It was a public park.

It depends. If the protesters target individuals and harass them, then they should face charges.

As to your anything goes comment, I said you knew that. I knew what you meant.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:27:49 PM
At 8/9/2015 8:24:39 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It depends. If the protesters target individuals and harass them, then they should face charges.

The man crossing the picket line, the woman walking towards the clinic, the grievers of the dead, or the politician himself. I see little difference as to the target.
And, do you consider it harassment if it is a one-time issue, focused only at a certain place and certain time, for example, one park event? Isn't harassment a pattern of behavior?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:32:13 PM

609.72 DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
Subdivision 1.Crime. Whoever does any of the following in a public or private place, including on a school bus, knowing, or having reasonable grounds to know that it will, or will tend to, alarm, anger or disturb others or provoke an assault or breach of the peace, is guilty of disorderly conduct, which is a misdemeanor:
(1) engages in brawling or fighting; or
(2) disturbs an assembly or meeting, not unlawful in its character; or
(3) engages in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, or noisy conduct or in offensive, obscene, or abusive language tending reasonably to arouse alarm, anger, or resentment in others.
A person does not violate this section if the person's disorderly conduct was caused by an epileptic seizure.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov...

It does not appear this would be disorderly conduct in MN. I see no reason why someone should be reasonably upset with them any more than if they were shouting from the sidelines, and anymore than they would be upset by their presence.
But, that is for a court to decide.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:35:54 PM
At 8/9/2015 8:32:13 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Subdivision 1.Crime. Whoever does any of the following in a public or private place, including on a school bus, knowing, or having reasonable grounds to know that it will, or will tend to, alarm, anger or disturb others or provoke an assault or breach of the peace, is guilty of disorderly conduct, which is a misdemeanor:
(3) engages in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, or noisy conduct or in offensive, obscene, or abusive language tending reasonably to arouse alarm, anger, or resentment in others.
A person does not violate this section if the person's disorderly conduct was caused by an epileptic seizure.

It does not appear this would be disorderly conduct in MN. I see no reason why someone should be reasonably upset with them any more than if they were shouting from the sidelines, and anymore than they would be upset by their presence.

Are you serious?

"disturbs an assembly or meeting, not unlawful in its character"

and

"engages in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, or noisy conduct or in offensive, obscene, or abusive language tending reasonably to arouse alarm, anger, or resentment in others."

Mind explaining how you managed to reach such an obviously false conclusion? I'm genuinely curious.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:45:35 PM
At 8/9/2015 8:35:54 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Are you serious?

If I stand on my soapbox in the park, and people start to chant over my ramblings, is that a crime? If I then try to shout over their chanting, is that a crime?

I think this is more of an assembly or meeting not in a public space, while protesting in a public space, as any assembly, by definition of its presence, disturbs my ability to have one in its place.

and

"engages in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, or noisy conduct or in offensive, obscene, or abusive language tending reasonably to arouse alarm, anger, or resentment in others."

Anger and resentment that Bernie can't speak is not the type of anger that I believe is being referenced. I think it is more of a provocation context, like fighting words. After all, how can the KKK seriously have an assembly that doesn't violate this?

Mind explaining how you managed to reach such an obviously false conclusion? I'm genuinely curious.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:56:58 PM
At 8/9/2015 8:45:35 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Are you serious?

If I stand on my soapbox in the park, and people start to chant over my ramblings, is that a crime? If I then try to shout over their chanting, is that a crime?

I think this is more of an assembly or meeting not in a public space, while protesting in a public space, as any assembly, by definition of its presence, disturbs my ability to have one in its place.

Standing on a soapbox is not an "assembly". Disturbing your ability to initiate an assembly is not equivalent to disturbing an assembly that is already under way, and that has obtained permission from the city.

and

Anger and resentment that Bernie can't speak is not the type of anger that I believe is being referenced. I think it is more of a provocation context, like fighting words. After all, how can the KKK seriously have an assembly that doesn't violate this?

I disagree, but in any case, the law mentions "disturbing". If stealing the stage and then crashing the assembly is not "disturbing it", then what is?

Whoever does any of the following in a public or private place, including on a school bus, knowing, or having reasonable grounds to know that it will, or will tend to, alarm, anger or disturb others or provoke an assault or breach of the peace, is guilty of disorderly conduct, which is a misdemeanor:
(3) engages in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, or noisy conduct or in offensive,

If you're still unconvinced, then I'm afraid I can't help you. Some people refuse to acknowledge when they're wrong, and conversing with them is almost always a waste of time.

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:59:08 PM
At 8/9/2015 8:45:35 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Are you serious?

The law explicitly says it applies in public areas. "Whoever does any of the following in a public or private place".

and