Jump to topic:

My take on Donald Trump

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 3:08:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
A little while ago I watched a Donald Trump speech.
So...

He comes off as eager and sincere, and somehow his huge net worth doesn't seem to diminish that at all. He looked genuinely interested in what he was doing and in politics. Anybody who would talk that much either had to speak for a certain period and he was stalling or he was really engaged in what he was doing.
He looked mildly intelligent, but not nearly enough to hold a job that important. Still, though, there's a chance that he simply has weak communication abilities and it doesn't reflect on his personality. Many people may choose to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even if not, if he's simply good at management and getting things done then he can base his policies on the advice of others and survive for 4 years.

Despite the fact that the media and intellectuals laugh at him, the huge number of less educated Conservatives apparently like this guy. He almost has a Reaganesque quality that they're drawn to. No other GOP candidate has that kind of mass appeal to the base at the moment. Therefore, I must conclude that despite his questionable qualifications he is perhaps the GOP's only hope of winning the nomination. Only he can draw in a massive GOP turnout on election day. And if they don't nominate him he may run as a third party candidate and pull a Ross Perot on us all. In a sense, for the GOP it's either Trump or no 2016 win. Plus, Trump seems to not be putting a large emphasis on social issues, such as gay marriage and abortion. This is smart, especially since being very vocal about one's anti-gay stance will always backfire on whoever does it from now on. Rather, his attention's on the economy, the border, and foreign policy.
The U.S. agrees more with the Democrats than it does the GOP. However, Democrats are notorious for low voter turnout with only the occasional exception, such as Obama. Either Clinton, Biden, and Sanders will win the Democratic nomination and I doubt that any of of these people are capable of drawing Dems to the ballot in high numbers.
My point is that the GOP has a chance this year, as long as they don't screw it up. For once the candidate who's further from the center is probably their best bet. They need to stop pitting all their resources against him if they want to win.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 3:10:32 AM
I like Trump as well. He is probably the candidate with the highest chances of destroying America from within, which I support very much.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 3:12:28 AM
They have a chance next year, that is. I keep forgetting that the election's still over a year away.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 3:16:37 AM
On foreign policy increasing tensions with Russia and/or China over the coming year should boost his chances, given that foreign policy is one place where he takes a hard stance on and criticizes everyone else about. In this sense time will likely help him, provided that he can win the nomination. There's also the chance that Democrats won't take him seriously and that their campaign will be sloppier and weaker than normal.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 3:29:08 AM
At 8/12/2015 3:08:17 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
A little while ago I watched a Donald Trump speech.
So...

He comes off as eager and sincere, and somehow his huge net worth doesn't seem to diminish that at all. He looked genuinely interested in what he was doing and in politics. Anybody who would talk that much either had to speak for a certain period of time and he was stalling or he was really engaged in what he was doing.
He looked mildly intelligent, but not nearly enough to hold a job that important. Still, though, there's a chance that he simply has weak communication abilities and it doesn't reflect on his intelligence. Many people may choose to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even if not, if he's simply good at management and getting things done then he can base his policies on the advice of others and survive for 4 years.

Despite the fact that the media and intellectuals laugh at him, the huge number of less educated Conservatives apparently like this guy. He almost has a Reaganesque quality that they're drawn to. No other GOP candidate has that kind of mass appeal to the base at the moment. Therefore, I must conclude that despite his questionable qualifications he is perhaps the GOP's only hope of winning the election. Only he can draw in a massive GOP turnout on election day. And if they don't nominate him he may run as a third party candidate and pull a Ross Perot on us all. In a sense, for the GOP it's either Trump or no 2016 win. Plus, Trump seems to not be putting a large emphasis on social issues, such as gay marriage and abortion. This is smart, especially since being very vocal about one's anti-gay stance will always backfire on whoever does it from now on. Rather, his attention's on the economy, the border, and foreign policy.
The U.S. agrees more with the Democrats than it does the GOP. However, Democrats are notorious for low voter turnout with only the occasional exception, such as Obama. Either Clinton, Biden, and Sanders will win the Democratic nomination and I doubt that any of of these people are capable of drawing Dems to the ballot in high numbers.
My point is that the GOP has a chance this year, as long as they don't screw it up. For once the candidate who's further from the center is probably their best bet. They need to stop pitting all their resources against him if they want to win.

Fixed (dang, I really needed to review the OP before posting).

The DDO Blog:

xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 3:35:46 AM
Trump has run for president before, and he quit. What Trump wants to do is stop the republicans from nominating another unelectable candidate. There was a time not long ago when people were saying Jeb Bush was the front runner. Mr. Trump would hear that and think that Jeb is the brother of the worst Presdient and he helped his brother steal the 2000 election. So what Trump did was enter the race and got a higher percentage than the other republicans. The idea here if these guys could not get more votes than Trump, we cant expect them to win a general election. This proves that the GOP has to get another candidate or they will get beaten by a girl in 2016.
There are still enough of those social conservatives alive that if a candidate is pro choice he won't get the nomination. They don't need a pro-lifer ,they need a moderate, and then they need to do the whole campaign attacking Hillary. This way they can get people who have voted democrat to vote for a republican.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 4:46:53 PM
I don't think campaigning against abortion and gay marriage would hurt the GOP. Ever since the Supreme Court ruling and the StemExpress scandal, polling shows the public once again leans to the right on these issues, not to the left. Not opposing these issues would likely hurt the candidate.

As for Trump, every election cycle we go through the process where the media tries to pick the next Republican candidate for us. The media's ideal GOP candidate has two qualities: Can be beaten by the Democrats if nominated, and will be sympathetic to the Democrats if they happen to win. They did this with McCain and are trying it with Jeb. Trump's numbers are surging at the moment because he's been on the news alot, but that will all die down when people start to realize how poor his conservative record is.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 5:33:36 PM
I think that anyone who says he has no chance is a fool. People are frustrated in America right now, and that frustration with the status quo could very likely lead many people to vote unconventionally.

Regardless of your personal opinions of Trump, he is competent. You don't get as rich as he is by not knowing what you're doing. If the republicans or the democrats underestimate him, he will surprise them all.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 5:45:55 PM
Trump literally has the worst match-up odds against Hillary out of all the major GOP candidates: http://www.realclearpolitics.com...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:48:40 AM
In a sense, for the GOP it's either Trump or no 2016 win.

There's quite a bit of GOP voters who wouldn't consider voting for Trump. In my opinion it's a lose-lose situation both ways for the party.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 3:15:50 AM
At 8/14/2015 1:48:40 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
In a sense, for the GOP it's either Trump or no 2016 win.

There's quite a bit of GOP voters who wouldn't consider voting for Trump. In my opinion it's a lose-lose situation both ways for the party.

Agreed. It seems that the GOP is having a hell of an identity crisis right now. On one side you have the next-gen moderates who are okay with Gay Marriage and NOT doing everything possible to repeal Obamacare, on another side you have the deeply religious loons who want to send the country into a Christianized version of Saudi Arabia.... But then apparently there is this third faction who are so unhappy with the GOP that they are literally backing people who have ZERO experience in holding public office, such as Trump, Carson, and Fiorina....

I dont see how the hell the GOP can win an election against Hillary when they cant even figure out who they are.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015