Jump to topic:

American Identity

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 6:55:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I often see Americans, generally overrated and stupid ones (which, arguably, most of them are), criticizing other countries and peoples for things their country is generally far worse at. Take war as an example - America is the worst nation post-Nazi era when it comes to causing havoc and hazard all around the world. Yet, Americans will be the first to criticize another country for making any sort of military move - even if it isn't outright wrong (as in the case of Russia invading Georgia). Americans will also be the first to recognize faults in the cultures of other countries, in spite of having an awfully bad one themselves.

So, what is it that Americans have that they can pride themselves in? These people are warmongering, superficial, materialistic, artificial, and are pseudo-white. Their identity is, if anything, a rather shameful one. It is built on a history of invasion, oppression, slavery, imperialism - nothing valuable people would be proud of.

Why do you think Americans are proud of an identity based on such a sad, corrupt history?
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 8:03:29 AM
Republic of Venice? Roman Republic?

More seriously, Mirza, you'll be dead in a few years. Why waste your time here?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 9:33:12 AM
At 8/13/2015 8:03:29 AM, smelisox wrote:
Republic of Venice? Roman Republic?

More seriously, Mirza, you'll be dead in a few years. Why waste your time here?
Did I devour your soul, little American?
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 12:19:38 PM
Americans always seem sort of cleaner and more glossy than everyone else. True. I can't figure out why, though. Maybe they just throw out their old clothes and buy new ones more regularly than everyone else and they have shoe shiners at the airport and at train stations. And they have hairdressers and manicurists on almost every street corner. Or maybe it's the subcutaneous fat gives them that extra luminousness. I don't know, but I love them for it.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 12:21:34 PM
The other thing I love about Americans is their positive attitude. It's fake a lot of the time, but I don't care. It's still better than the grinding negativity you get in some other countries. And I love the way they talk as if anything is possible. It makes you feel like you live in a bigger world.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 12:26:13 PM
Also, Americans make you feel welcome. They have a friendly politeness and would never make mean comments just to seem clever. And I love the way Americans dance. I love swing and jazz and all of it.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 1:59:40 PM
At 8/13/2015 6:55:38 AM, Mirza wrote:

Why do you think Americans are proud of an identity based on such a sad, corrupt history?

Maybe because that is history and people try to look forward.
The Holocaust was awful, but do you think Germany has nothing to be proud of?
My work here is, finally, done.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 2:04:01 PM
At 8/13/2015 1:59:40 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
The German nation has an identity far richer than the artificial people, Americans, have. The Holocaust has not erased the history that preceded it.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 2:44:08 PM
At 8/13/2015 2:04:01 PM, Mirza wrote:
The German nation has an identity far richer than the artificial people, Americans, have. The Holocaust has not erased the history that preceded it.

Shut up you fat cunt.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 2:53:09 PM
At 8/13/2015 2:44:08 PM, smelisox wrote:
Shut up you fat cunt.
Am I the catalyst of your most severe identity crisis in life, you pile of garbage? How sad has your life become after I put to question the value of everything it revolves around? How sad are you every time you look at your American passport in disgust, as opposed to glorifying it as you used to?

Seek counselling, you worthless dweller of a worthless artificial country.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:11:11 PM
At 8/13/2015 2:04:55 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/13/2015 12:19:38 PM, Garbanza wrote:
Americans always seem sort of cleaner and more glossy than everyone else.
Bullsh!t.

No no, it's just one of those things. Amazing but true. Maybe it's the butter they eat? All those antidepressants? Something in the laundry powder? Just one of life's mysteries.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:14:11 PM

Shut up you fat cunt.

I feel so ridiculous now for saying cvnt all this time! I assumed it would be censored.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:14:49 PM

Shut up you fat cunt.

Misogyny.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:45:55 PM

As a nation-state they really don't; they are far younger than the U.S and their history as a country revolves almost exclusively around war.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:50:09 PM
At 8/13/2015 3:11:11 PM, Garbanza wrote:
No no, it's just one of those things. Amazing but true. Maybe it's the butter they eat? All those antidepressants? Something in the laundry powder? Just one of life's mysteries.
You are useless.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:50:41 PM
At 8/13/2015 3:45:55 PM, ben2974 wrote:
As a nation-state they really don't; they are far younger than the U.S and their history as a country revolves almost exclusively around war.
As a "nation", namely "people", they are older. Bye bye.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:05:07 PM
At 8/13/2015 3:50:41 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/13/2015 3:45:55 PM, ben2974 wrote:
As a "nation", namely "people", they are older. Bye bye.

Well who really cares at that point, then. The US was founded by Europeans. There's some "identity." Add some native American identity. And then add some Latino identity. All of these personalities coalesced, fusing into a mighty IDENTITY known as the AMURICAN!
Inventor of the Western World Order!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:09:09 PM
At 8/13/2015 4:05:07 PM, ben2974 wrote:
Well who really cares at that point, then. The US was founded by Europeans. There's some "identity." Add some native American identity. And then add some Latino identity. All of these personalities coalesced, fusing into a mighty IDENTITY known as the AMURICAN!
That fusion does not make Americans a nation. They're not a nation; no more than say, a sovereign state we form tomorrow that consists of 100 people with even amounts of Africans, Europeans, Asians, etc.

As for them having European identity, that was true some time ago, and it is true for those who aren't genuinely American in spirit, but have kept the nationality and customs of their homeland. However, the average American is not truly European; he is a traitor, scum, and pseudo-white. He is to the genuine European akin to the European's mirror image of his opposite self: a worthless, quasi-human pile of filth.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:21:21 PM
At 8/13/2015 4:09:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/13/2015 4:05:07 PM, ben2974 wrote:
That fusion does not make Americans a nation. They're not a nation; no more than say, a sovereign state we form tomorrow that consists of 100 people with even amounts of Africans, Europeans, Asians, etc.

As for them having European identity, that was true some time ago, and it is true for those who aren't genuinely American in spirit, but have kept the nationality and customs of their homeland. However, the average American is not truly European; he is a traitor, scum, and pseudo-white. He is to the genuine European akin to the European's mirror image of his opposite self: a worthless, quasi-human pile of filth.

Well obviously you can't call us European. We are none of the above - we are a fusion of many - working together, through war and peace, to move civilization forward. Everyone on Earth can trace their roots to an ancient ancestor. Even Europeans (obviously). Identity forms through the longevity of national culture. So eventually, you're gonna have to cut Americans a break and submit that they are indeed a nation, with a unique touch on the world, for better or for worse.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 5:22:34 PM
So says the guy who lives in an artificial continent with a very long history of exploitation, slavery, imperialism, and warmongering. The "continent" which was the center of 2 world wars, the "continent" whose residents can honestly be considered lazy in comparison to the United States is in no position to be considered better than the United States.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 5:29:11 PM
At 8/13/2015 6:55:38 AM, Mirza wrote:
I often see Americans, generally overrated and stupid ones (which, arguably, most of them are), criticizing other countries and peoples for things their country is generally far worse at. Take war as an example - America is the worst nation post-Nazi era when it comes to causing havoc and hazard all around the world. Yet, Americans will be the first to criticize another country for making any sort of military move - even if it isn't outright wrong (as in the case of Russia invading Georgia). Americans will also be the first to recognize faults in the cultures of other countries, in spite of having an awfully bad one themselves.

So, what is it that Americans have that they can pride themselves in? These people are warmongering, superficial, materialistic, artificial, and are pseudo-white. Their identity is, if anything, a rather shameful one. It is built on a history of invasion, oppression, slavery, imperialism - nothing valuable people would be proud of.

I am a proud American citizen, but....

A quote from "The Newsroom:"

Jennifer Johnson: Can you say why America is the greatest country in the world?

Sharon: Diversity and opportunity.

Moderator: Lewis?

Lewis: Freedom and freedom... so let's keep it that way.

Moderator: Will?

Will McAvoy: The New York Jets.

Moderator: No, I'm going to hold you to an answer on that. What makes America the greatest country in the world?

Will McAvoy: Well, Lewis and Sharon said it. Diversity and opportunity and freedom and freedom.

Moderator: I'm not letting you go back to the airport without answering the question.

Will McAvoy: Well, our Constitution is a masterpiece. James Madison was a genius. The Declaration of Independence is, for me, the single greatest piece of American writing...
[Professor keeps staring]

Will McAvoy: You don't look satisfied.

Moderator: One's a set of laws and the other's a declaration of war. I want a human moment from you... what about the people? Why is America...

Will McAvoy: It's not the greatest country in the world, professor. That's my answer.

Moderator: You're saying...

Will McAvoy: Yes.

Moderator: Let's talk about...

Will McAvoy: Fine.
[Turns to Sharon]

Will McAvoy: Sharon, the NEA is a loser. Yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paycheck, but he
[gestures to Lewis]

Will McAvoy: gets to hit you with it anytime he wants. It doesn't cost money, it costs votes. It costs airtime and column inches. You know why people don't like liberals? Cause they lose. If liberals are so f****** smart, how come they lose so g****** always?

Sharon: Hey!

Will McAvoy: [Turns to Louis] And with a straight face, you're gonna tell students that America is so star-spangled awesome that we're the only ones in the world who have freedom? Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The UK. France. Italy. Germany. Spain. Australia... Belgium! has freedom... 207 sovereign states in the world, like 180 of 'em have freedom.

Moderator: Alright...

Will McAvoy: [Looks at Jenny] And, yeah, you... sorority girl. Just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there are some things you should know. One of them is: There is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world. We're 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, number 4 in labor force and number 4 in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real and defense spending - where we spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies. Now, none of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are without a doubt a member of the worst period generation period ever period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don't know what the f*** you're talking about!... Yosemite?

[Stunned silence]

Will McAvoy: ... It sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons. We passed laws, struck down laws - for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not on poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were and we never beat our chest. We built great, big things, made ungodly technological advanced, explored the universe, cured diseases and we cultivated the world's greatest artists AND the world's greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men. We aspired to intelligence, we didn't belittle it. It didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election and we didn't scare so easy. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed... by great men, men who were revered. First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 5:38:59 PM
At 8/13/2015 5:22:34 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
So says the guy who lives in an artificial continent with a very long history of exploitation, slavery, imperialism, and warmongering. The "continent" which was the center of 2 world wars, the "continent" whose residents can honestly be considered lazy in comparison to the United States is in no position to be considered better than the United States.
There's no such thing as a genuine continent, and therefore the adjective "artificial" for a continent is unnecessary. You're not good with words, kiddie. Nor are you good at copying my rhetoric. As for the history, indeed Europe has had its dark eras, but the history is overall exceptionally rich, and contains almost all good elements any place in the world has and had to offer. Our history is long, so naturally there are bad elements; but they are not a veil on the good ones.

You, however, are different; you began your history with causing suffering, oppression; you continued it to this day today, and show no strong signs of changing. You are a people to be condemned, not respected.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 5:41:03 PM
Also, one of the worst things that came from Europeans is America. But, that is to be blamed on the Brits, and their utterly incompetent strategists in the 18th century.
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 5:46:49 PM
Labels when applied to groups are dangerous when we talk of Americans the tem should only mean those who live in America because they are like all nations totally varied.
We can only use terms like stupid, smart, rich, selfish ect about individuals.This rule will help us to avoid name - calling and denegrating one nation over another.
Another important thing to remember is when we say Brazil won the world cup we are only talking about a highly trained minute group of individuals.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 5:53:29 PM
At 8/13/2015 5:46:49 PM, fromantle wrote:
Another important thing to remember is when we say Brazil won the world cup we are only talking about a highly trained minute group of individuals.
In America, we're talking about more than a handful of people; we're talking about not only politicians, but the masses they pander to; and, believe it or not, they are plenty in numbers. I don't care that there are moderate Americans. Of course there are. That doesn't mean I should refrain from criticizing Americans in general, because those who are extreme in the perception of the sane, rational persons outside of America, and more often than not also inside it, are too many for us to keep our mouths shut. Americans are a danger, and until their mentality is entirely replaced with a more sane, humane one, they ought to be shunned, detested, and humiliated.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 5:57:50 PM
I think one ideal policy European countries ought to ponder over is one that would strip citizenships of their individuals who take an American passport; indefinitely, of course. This would encourage them to not settle in America permanently (it would help with the brain-drain issue, too), as well as send a clear signal that Europe is disconnecting with America on a moral and political level.