Total Posts:84|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Who do you think the GOP should nominate?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 8:19:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://2016.republican-candidates.org...

Here's a list.

I personally have no idea currently, though Scott Walker, Rubio and Christie seem like good options.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 8:21:38 PM
At 8/16/2015 8:19:13 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Here's a list.

I personally have no idea currently, though Scott Walker, Rubio and Christie seem like good options.

Kasich. But they won't, to their own detriment.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:40:34 PM
Kasich.

By the way, I find Christie to be about as much of an a$shole as Trump, so I think he's unelectable.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
katie.snappy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:42:55 PM
At 8/16/2015 10:40:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Kasich.

By the way, I find Christie to be about as much of an a$shole as Trump, so I think he's unelectable.

I find that Christie speaks his mind. So does Trump. Yes, they aren't the typical "let's avoid the question" politician and aren't the most electable, they would make better leaders than someone like Bush.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:45:02 PM
At 8/16/2015 10:42:55 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
Kasich.

I find that Christie speaks his mind. So does Trump. Yes, they aren't the typical "let's avoid the question" politician and aren't the most electable, they would make better leaders than someone like Bush.

No, that's exactly why they would make terrible leaders. Bush is far preferable. Trump and Christie would be a disaster in foreign policy due to their personalities. It would not end well.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
katie.snappy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:51:05 PM
At 8/16/2015 10:45:02 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Kasich.

No, that's exactly why they would make terrible leaders. Bush is far preferable. Trump and Christie would be a disaster in foreign policy due to their personalities. It would not end well.

I know. I'm not saying that they would make good presidents, but rather they are the most honest of the candidates. I wouldn't vote for them as president, though. I find Bush to be a little unsure of himself (ex: his comments on the Iraq war) so I'm not confident that he would be able to hold his own.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:53:34 PM
At 8/16/2015 10:51:05 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
Kasich.

I know. I'm not saying that they would make good presidents, but rather they are the most honest of the candidates. I wouldn't vote for them as president, though. I find Bush to be a little unsure of himself (ex: his comments on the Iraq war) so I'm not confident that he would be able to hold his own.

This is about who they should nominate. Trump and Christie would be disasters in the general election, and they would be huge turn-offs for the GOP.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
katie.snappy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:58:09 PM
At 8/16/2015 10:53:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:51:05 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
Kasich.

This is about who they should nominate. Trump and Christie would be disasters in the general election, and they would be huge turn-offs for the GOP.

Then (realistically speaking) they should nominate Kasich. He is by far the most appealing choice to both the GOP base and moderates.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 12:11:09 AM

Here's a list.

Marco Rubio, John Kasich, or Jeb Bush. The rest don't impress me.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 12:12:42 AM
At 8/16/2015 8:21:38 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Here's a list.

Kasich. But they won't, to their own detriment.

I like Johnny
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 12:28:42 AM
At 8/17/2015 12:11:09 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Here's a list.

I think Rubio would be a good foil to Hilliary, being a lot younger and all. Plus he'll get the boost in the Latino vote. Plus, frankly speaking, he looks like a better option for Republicans to some moderates as opposed to "yet another old white guy"

Jeb Bush....I dunno. I feel like he could, but it'd be so easy to paint him as part of the establishment and make up to be "yet another Bush" and part of the "Bush Dynasty".

Don't know a ton about John Kasich, though being Governor of Ohio does make me like him more.

AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:55:36 AM
Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Scott Walker.

Ted Cruz is very conservative which I like, but when it comes to beating Hillary I doubt he can move enough to the left on the political spectrum to get the votes.

I have a theory that the Koch Brothers have chosen Walker as their puppet and are pumping money and corruption (in the long run) into his campaign.

Carson is the most respectable man running, but he is naive and inexperienced. Though I will say, he would handle domestic issues spectacularly.

Jeb, Christie, Huckabee, and Kasich are all frauds/Bush's and are NOT what the GOP needs.

Rubio I believe is trying to "Barack Obama" all of the voters.

Trump. Trump is simply a moron who doesn't play by the GOP rulebook and panders his way up in the polls. Ask him "How will you get this done?" to any of his ideas and he is stumped.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 5:02:08 AM
Rand Paul! I also like Marco Rubio and John Kasich. Rand Paul's arguments on civil liberties and foreign policy are ideas that I wish the rest of the GOP would adopt. He is spreading his message.

Ted Cruz really annoys me for some reason, so Rubio is my second choice (even if I disagree with his foreign policy ideas).
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 3:31:26 PM
At 8/17/2015 5:02:08 AM, Contra wrote:
Rand Paul! I also like Marco Rubio and John Kasich. Rand Paul's arguments on civil liberties and foreign policy are ideas that I wish the rest of the GOP would adopt. He is spreading his message.

Ted Cruz really annoys me for some reason, so Rubio is my second choice (even if I disagree with his foreign policy ideas).

Some people say Ted Cruz is as principled as Ronald Reagan, but not nearly as personable; and I agree. That lack of likability and how left this country has shifted are his biggest campaign threats. All of that being said, I still think Cruz is brilliant.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 6:50:19 PM
In the order I would vote for them; Governor Christie, Governor Kasich, Senator Paul, Governor Pataki, Senator Graham, and Senator Rubio. I think the GOP would do well in the General Election with any of those six candidates - I seriously do not think highly of the other candidates, Democratic or Republican.

There have been plenty of comments bashing Governor Christie on this page, given that he is my first choice for the next Commander in Chief, I'll defend him.

I understand the comparison between him and Mr. Trump, both can be bullies, but Governor Christie can be a thoughtful and purposeful one, where Trump can just shoot his mouth off saying nothing of substance. Both are, in their own ways, the 'tell-it-like-it-is' candidates the GOP has yearned for since President Reagan.

Governor Christie is the only candidate, Democrat or Republican, to suggest comprehensive entitlement reform - which I support very much. He also has serious policies on immigration and national security, unlike many other candidates.

The suggestion that Governor Christie is unelectable because of his persona is not well founded - given that he has enjoyed massive support in two elections within a blue state. His attitude is more likely to turn off the far right GOP voters than it is to moderates - as moderates are generally his most loyal base and Christie is usually bashing the Republican party, not the Democratic party.

Again, the suggestion that Christie's foreign policy would be a failure because of his aggressive personality is not true. America has thousands of diplomats across the world who are the backbone of this country's foreign policy, Christie would not be the only one. Moreover, The Senate Foreign Relations Committee is this country's position on the world, the President has far less say in anything than most people assume.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:28:42 PM
At 8/17/2015 12:28:42 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/17/2015 12:11:09 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Here's a list.

I think Rubio would be a good foil to Hilliary, being a lot younger and all. Plus he'll get the boost in the Latino vote. Plus, frankly speaking, he looks like a better option for Republicans to some moderates as opposed to "yet another old white guy"

yep

Jeb Bush....I dunno. I feel like he could, but it'd be so easy to paint him as part of the establishment and make up to be "yet another Bush" and part of the "Bush Dynasty".

So the only bad thing about him is his name. I think that means he's pretty solid :PPPPPPPP

Don't know a ton about John Kasich, though being Governor of Ohio does make me like him more.

He is the only one who beats Hillary there (+7), and he is probably the most electable. He'll be in the top 3 for VP pick. I almost guarantee it. Rubio will be, too, if anyone other than Jeb gets it.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:36:56 PM
At 8/17/2015 8:28:42 PM, 16kadams wrote:

So the only bad thing about him is his name. I think that means he's pretty solid :PPPPPPPP

I don't think he is a bad person or candidate, but I think he's just not...different? I liked Bush a lot, and I feel he is vastly underrated, but unfortunately most of the population would disagreed most likely. And Jeb Bush, while he isn't the same as George, could be painted as "yet another Bush" as well as the "yet another old white man" problem. So I don't know...I'm just not sure if he could win, despite being a good candidate.

He is the only one who beats Hillary there (+7), and he is probably the most electable. He'll be in the top 3 for VP pick. I almost guarantee it. Rubio will be, too, if anyone other than Jeb gets it.

Gonna have to look into him more then.

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:38:43 PM
At 8/17/2015 8:36:56 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/17/2015 8:28:42 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I don't think he is a bad person or candidate, but I think he's just not...different? I liked Bush a lot, and I feel he is vastly underrated, but unfortunately most of the population would disagreed most likely. And Jeb Bush, while he isn't the same as George, could be painted as "yet another Bush" as well as the "yet another old white man" problem. So I don't know...I'm just not sure if he could win, despite being a good candidate.

I think GW Bush has more positives than negatives in his approval rating now. Plus, Clinton has the same problem. And he has beaten Hillary in the last to polls (Quinnepac +1, FOX +2). Rubio also beats here in the FOX poll (+2).

Gonna have to look into him more then.

He is my second choice for sure. If Rubio drops out first, I would jump on Kasich's boat.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:38:56 PM
Can't stump the Trump
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:40:40 PM
At 8/16/2015 8:38:27 PM, jimtimmy8 wrote:
It would be a huge mistake to not nominate Trump.

Not that I wouldn't vote for him over a Democrat, but he's basically almost a democrat
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:41:28 PM
Kasich.

You only have to worry about not coming across like a dick when you're not a super power.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:42:38 PM
I like Gary Johnson, I think he'll run, but I guess I'll vote for rand Paul. No point in libertarians splitting their votes.
jimtimmy8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 2:42:30 AM
At 8/17/2015 8:40:40 PM, Wylted wrote:

Not that I wouldn't vote for him over a Democrat, but he's basically almost a democrat

How?

Pretty sure he's the only candidate with a decent position on immigration.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 5:21:22 AM
At 8/18/2015 2:42:30 AM, jimtimmy8 wrote:

How?

I assume the OP meant he's 'basically a Democrat' because of his position on health care, former positions on abortion and gay marriage, and that he's donated to the Democratic Party in his past.

Mr. Trump defended his immigration policy by basically stating, "some guy at the border told me Mexico is sending people here..." His policy is completely unrealistic. It's easy to shoot your mouth off, less so to back it up.
jimtimmy8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 5:22:51 AM
At 8/18/2015 5:21:22 AM, Praesentya wrote:

How?

I assume the OP meant he's 'basically a Democrat' because of his position on health care, former positions on abortion and gay marriage, and that he's donated to the Democratic Party in his past.

Mr. Trump defended his immigration policy by basically stating, "some guy at the border told me Mexico is sending people here..." His policy is completely unrealistic. It's easy to shoot your mouth off, less so to back it up.

Do you think flooding America with unskilled criminals is really a great "realistic" policy?
jimtimmy8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 5:23:34 AM
At 8/18/2015 5:22:51 AM, jimtimmy8 wrote:
At 8/18/2015 5:21:22 AM, Praesentya wrote:

How?

Do you think flooding America with unskilled criminals is really a great "realistic" policy?

But you're a democrat... and those low skilled criminals vote democrat and provide low wage labor so rich democrats win!