Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Thoughts on transgender women in sports?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 2:57:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Just to be clear here, I'm speaking of men that transition into females.

Scientifically men are, on average, better built for most if not all sports. Hence why we have women's and men's leagues separated for most. The question is whether or not transgender women have that unfair advantage, and if some do but others don't. And what should be done about the ones that do.

For my thoughts on the issue, I'm not certain. A recent example that is causing some controversy is the MMA fight Fallon Fox, who was a man up until 2006, when she was 30 at the time. And 30 years of testosterone doesn't just go away, or have no affect on you if you transition. Fallon Fox put out a video "refuting" accusations of being built better than women, but all it proved in the video was that she was similar to the woman she compared herself to. Also, I don't think them losing sometimes means that they still don't have an unfair advantage. If I used performance enhancing drugs and lost, I'd still be cheating.

Which is the problem. Its very similar, if not worse than if she was using performance enhancing drugs. Her body structure and build are never going to be fully female. She has the advantage. Should that be allowed? And if so, is it case by case? Should it be allowed as long as they are indistinguishable strength and build-wise from other women in the sport?

I don't think it should. I just feel like at the end of the day, its an unfair advantage. it sucks, but it is. Thoughts?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 3:13:14 PM
At 8/20/2015 2:57:36 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Scientifically men are, on average, better built for most if not all sports. Hence why we have women's and men's leagues separated for most. The question is whether or not transgender women have that unfair advantage, and if some do but others don't. And what should be done about the ones that do.

Men are men, women are women. Like you said, you may be taking estrogen pills and everything, but your muscular structure is still that of a man. Specifically when discussing contact and violent sports like MMA and Boxing; could you imagine the outrage that would ensue if a male gets sexual reorientation surgery (or whatever it's called these days), changes to a female, moves to the women's fighting league, then goes in and paralyzes or even kills a lady because of the differences in strength, speed, power, quickness, muscular structure, bone structure, calcification level difference in bone density, etc.?

Contrarily, what would happen if a female turned into a male and was going through testosterone therapy which is required? Would they get popped for substance abuse under the performance enhancing / steroid rules? If they get an exclusion from the performance enhancement rules, would that be fair for the men?

But, for that specific person you pointed out, glove up and let's see how you do against Rhonda Rousey. That chick is a beast for real. Somebody must have killed a few of her pigeons as a child (Mike Tyson reference for those who don't know)
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 3:24:07 PM
At 8/20/2015 3:13:14 PM, MakeSensePeopleDont wrote:
But, for that specific person you pointed out, glove up and let's see how you do against Rhonda Rousey. That chick is a beast for real. Somebody must have killed a few of her pigeons as a child (Mike Tyson reference for those who don't know)

I agreed with a lot you've said here, but just to point out, Fox is a different weight class from Rousey. I believe its the one just above it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 3:26:41 PM
There are instances in which trans-gendered status matters, and this is definitely one of them. Sexual attraction will be another; I think that it's absurd for transgendered people to expect to be treated as men/woman in terms of sexual attraction. The cotton ceiling nonsense, and all that jazz.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 3:53:28 PM

For my thoughts on the issue, I'm not certain. A recent example that is causing some controversy is the MMA fight Fallon Fox, who was a man up until 2006, when she was 30 at the time. And 30 years of testosterone doesn't just go away, or have no affect on you if you transition. Fallon Fox put out a video "refuting" accusations of being built better than women, but all it proved in the video was that she was similar to the woman she compared herself to. Also, I don't think them losing sometimes means that they still don't have an unfair advantage. If I used performance enhancing drugs and lost, I'd still be cheating.

Which is the problem. Its very similar, if not worse than if she was using performance enhancing drugs. Her body structure and build are never going to be fully female. She has the advantage. Should that be allowed? And if so, is it case by case? Should it be allowed as long as they are indistinguishable strength and build-wise from other women in the sport?

I don't think it should. I just feel like at the end of the day, its an unfair advantage. it sucks, but it is. Thoughts?
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 9:29:47 PM

Whether it should or shouldn't be done is not up to me. It will really be up to the people who watch the sport. I'm pretty sure that anyone who watches sports will not believe that it is fair for a man turned woman to compete with other women. Even those he's wacked, his muscle structure is still that of a man's. I don't think that any thinking people will ever allow this to happen.