Jump to topic:

Think tanks

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 7:55:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Spawning off a small side convo in the Carnegie thread, I thought it'd be interesting for people to put out any think thanks they believe are fairly important, reasoned, and useful both as sources in debates, and general reading material.

My personal favourite is the CD Howe Institute (http://www.cdhowe.org...), which at different times ends up with a liberal, conservative, free market and regulatory bend in its writings.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 8:22:33 PM
At 9/1/2010 7:56:15 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
You obviously just don't know how to think for yourself Volkov.

Lol. <3

Mises.org, of course, but I've found the Center for a Stateless Society to be a great source of interesting intellectual questions and great libertarian scholarship, especially anything by Kevin Carson. http://c4ss.org...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 8:25:38 PM
At 9/1/2010 7:56:15 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
You obviously just don't know how to think for yourself Volkov.

Careful Rob, petty insults might damage any call center operator civil rights march you decide to lead in the future.

@ Reasoning

Interesting, though not surprising. :P

Do you look up opposing think-thanks as well?
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 8:28:14 PM
At 9/1/2010 8:25:38 PM, Volkov wrote:

Nope. I've attempted to do so, convincing myself that I didn't want to be "one-sided", but I'm much more interested in the advancing fields of libertarian scholarship and it takes a lot of time just to keep up with that.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 8:31:44 PM
At 9/1/2010 8:28:14 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 9/1/2010 8:25:38 PM, Volkov wrote:

Nope. I've attempted to do so, convincing myself that I didn't want to be "one-sided", but I'm much more interested in the advancing fields of libertarian scholarship and it takes a lot of time just to keep up with that.

So basically you prefer a libertarian echo chamber? :P

I'm only kind of joking...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 8:32:35 PM
At 9/1/2010 8:28:14 PM, Reasoning wrote:

I understand that. I usually feel the same way, though I try and get the other point of view if I can. Sometimes though, the effort just isn't worth it.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 8:41:15 PM
At 9/1/2010 8:31:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
So basically you prefer a libertarian echo chamber? :P

Well, there is a lot of in-fighting among libertarians. And I mean a LOT of in-fighting. There are a wide variety of debates Anarchy vs Minarchy, IP: Pro or Con, Capitalism: Yes or No, Fractional Reserve Banking, etc.

But yes, I'm sold on libertarianism and I feel that the opportunity cost of me researching other think tanks would exceed the benefits gained.