Jump to topic:

Is Trump holding the Republican Party hostage

KingoSchenk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 9:14:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It seems like Donald Trump is showing the party that if he doesn't get nominated, he'll take a lot of voters when he runs as an independant. This would make it very unlikly for the Republicans to win. Am I correct or and I missing information here? I have a feeling I am.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 10:33:47 PM
He is 100% holding the party hostage, in 2 ways. The first is what you described: his threat to run as a 3rd party is really limiting the range of options the GOP can take. But, it's a brilliant move on his part. By threatening to run as a 3rd party, Trump forces the GOP to treat him with kid gloves lest they anger him enough to run alone. That insulates him from a lot of attacks and makes him a harder candidate to challenge. The other reason it's a brilliant move is that it in-debts whoever does with the 2016 election to him. If he doesn't run as a 3rd party, the GOP owes him big time, and if he does, the Democrats owe him big time. So, it's a very intelligent and conniving move on Trump's part.

The second way Trump is holding the party hostage is just through all of his bombast. Because he makes headlines so much--he dominates news coverage--no other candidate can get needed airtime. He is holding the party hostage by not allowing it to talk about or showcase anything or anyone but himself. It again hurts his opponents by making it hard for them to make their case to the voters, but it also damages the GOP by showing key constituencies (e.g. Latinos) how ugly the GOP can be.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 11:04:16 PM
Trump IS the Republican party. He's the end-game of the right-wing pandering that has been going on for decades.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
AureusRex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 4:10:18 AM
At 8/22/2015 11:04:16 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Trump IS the Republican party. He's the end-game of the right-wing pandering that has been going on for decades.

And what a climax! A billionaire who brags about his money is the man of the people? It's truly incredible what we have achieved.
robertacollier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 8:53:41 AM
I was in NYC once and the Donald held my Johnson. I was sort of nice. I did feel like I was held hostage.