Pro-War Libertarians

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 6:14:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
are a contradiction.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 6:27:24 PM
I'd say this is half-true.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 6:29:55 PM
At 9/3/2010 6:27:24 PM, Korashk wrote:

How so?
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 6:35:52 PM
At 9/3/2010 6:29:55 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

How so?

I'd support a defensive war.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 6:52:38 PM

It's entirely true. Libertarians = no taxes = no government = no war.
President of DDO
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 7:04:36 PM
At 9/3/2010 6:52:38 PM, theLwerd wrote:

I'm pretty anti-war libertarian-ish, but that statement you made applies to anarchists, not libertarians. Like every other ideology, moderation and common sense is key. Just ask Professor Beck :)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 7:14:51 PM
At 9/3/2010 7:04:36 PM, Steelerman6794 wrote:

I'm pretty anti-war libertarian-ish, but that statement you made applies to anarchists, not libertarians. Like every other ideology, moderation and common sense is key. Just ask Professor Beck :)

Libertarian does not mean no government. But it is not compatible with moderation. Or taxes. "Common sense" is a concept with no referent in reality.

(However, a non-tax government can still fund war. It's slightly more difficult, which means there'll be no nation-building nonsense.)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 7:34:49 PM
At 9/3/2010 7:04:36 PM, Steelerman6794 wrote:
Like every other ideology, moderation and common sense is key. Just ask Professor Beck :)

"Reality knows no moderation; it is - all the way." - SEK3
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:27:10 PM
what percent of what you post is quotes Reasoning? Gotta be over 9000.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:38:26 PM

and liberals= love everyone= hippies= no war.

....eh?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:41:33 PM
At 9/3/2010 8:38:26 PM, belle wrote:

and liberals= love everyone= hippies= no war.

....eh?

and religious conservatives = reject worldliness= no material goods = no guns= no war.

and communism = eradicate money = nationalize factories = crappy factories can't produce guns = no war.

And fascism = kill everyone who even mildly pisses you off with gas chambers= everyone left gets along = Thomas More and no war.
20000miles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:43:22 PM
You'd think that there exists some kind of war that's justified (i.e. a just war).

Libertopia would still have to defend itself from States. Defence is still an economic good like any other. If you consider a defensive war just then what would be wrong with paying some mercenaries to defend Libertopia from invasion?

Furthermore, what would make me not-a-libertarian for supporting such a move?
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:45:44 PM
I don't think the OP is stupid enough to say libertarians reject self defense... By "war" he means normal wars, like the iraq war or vietnam.
Things that are so interesting:

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:48:54 PM
Both of which were part of a policy of defending oneself.

Those particular governments had not necessarily aggressed against the US (though they did aggress against other parties). But their actions assist those who do.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 3:21:50 AM
"Can a nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot" - And that was Vladmir Lenin, not SEKIII or one of those idiots.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 3:40:29 AM

I'm probably totally ignorant here, but I don't see this at all. Isn't the whole point that the government is replaced by private companies, which would themselves include military organisations that could wage war?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 6:17:37 AM
At 9/3/2010 6:14:53 PM, Reasoning wrote:
are a contradiction.:

War is not necessarily synonymous with imperialism. There s such a notion as a Just War. Peace, as I'm sure you know, is reciprocal.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 6:32:33 AM
At 9/4/2010 3:21:50 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
"Can a nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot" - And that was Vladmir Lenin, not SEKIII or one of those idiots.

And he is also correct.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 7:00:26 AM
At 9/4/2010 3:40:29 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm probably totally ignorant here, but I don't see this at all. Isn't the whole point that the government is replaced by private companies, which would themselves include military organisations that could wage war?

No.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 7:03:47 AM
At 9/4/2010 7:00:26 AM, Reasoning wrote:

No.:

Are you advocating absolute pacifism?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 7:11:14 AM
At 9/4/2010 7:03:47 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

No.:

Are you advocating absolute pacifism?

No.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 8:51:55 AM
There would need to be some measures put in place to protect existing capital, but what about when markets have opportunity for expansion and military might could serve those business concerns. A mercenary force would be consistent with a libertarian society.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 11:06:58 AM
At 9/4/2010 3:21:50 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

A nation cannot be free if it FAILS to oppress other nations that attempt to oppress it.

Though Vladimir Lenin's motive was not freedom, he made sure to get busy oppressing nations and other such things that did not attempt to oppress it.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 11:13:11 AM
At 9/4/2010 8:51:55 AM, innomen wrote:
There would need to be some measures put in place to protect existing capital, but what about when markets have opportunity for expansion and military might could serve those business concerns. A mercenary force would be consistent with a libertarian society.

That would not be consistent with a libertarian society. Look at other times this has happened. (U.S. and Latin America, for example) The key feature all of these military interventions had in common is that they were done by governments. Military interventions are extremely expensive, and it would not be profitable for a business to use them to expand markets. The only way it does become profitable is when these corporations can use taxpayers' money to further their foreign interests.
Should we subsidize education?

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 11:13:20 AM

I would argue that libertarians are low taxes = minimal government = clear, defensive war. A step above minarchist (how that works Im not sure). A libertarian government would enforce borders, property rights, and mediate/arbitrate disputes. Possibly a few other things.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 11:21:00 AM
A libertarian government would enforce borders
Not except maybe in the sense of jurisdiction. Certainly wouldn't bar immigration.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 11:23:10 AM

No.

Helpful. :D
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 11:59:49 AM
At 9/4/2010 11:23:10 AM, Kinesis wrote:

No.

Helpful. :D

Some vulgar libertarians seem to make their libertarian utopia out to be very similar to the modern world except with gigantic private corporations doing everything the government now does.

A deeper understanding of what it means to be libertarian reveals a very different vision of the future society.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 12:07:07 PM
Now, I may have missed any answers to this question in the rabble that is most of this thread, but what is the "real" libertarian response to acts of aggression against them, or if indeed they have to take a pre-emptive action in order to prevent an act of aggression they know will occur? We're talking with full certainly, as well.