Would you vote for me as president??

DebatorJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:43:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My political views are listed below on some key issues

Abortion " Abortion should be legal on the Women"s request up until 18 weeks. Abortion should be legal because it reduces the population growth rate which is better for the planet. Abortion also saves lives by allowing women to terminate their babies in a safe, clean, professional setting. Abortion also reduces crime making society safer for everyone (more unwanted children means more criminals). By decreasing crime, abortion also saves the government money (Less would be spent on welfare and prison funding). Taxpayer dollars should not be used to fund abortion since it is not the governments place to force people to pay or subsidize an act they don"t believe in either on religious or moral grounds. Parental notification laws should not exist, teenagers should have the right to decide for themselves if they want to have a child or not. TRAP laws should not exist since they target reproductive rights and restrict women"s access to abortion clinics.
Birth Control " Birth Control should be legal and made free of charge to everyone. Universal birth control would cause teenage pregnancy rates to plummet, would lead to less abortions, and would lead to increased economic mobility for women of all classes. Free Birth Control would also help women become equal to men in society by giving them the tools to control when they would become pregnant. The final positive effect of free birth control was that it would save money since the government would spend less money on supporting welfare since their would be less welfare families as a result.
Death Penalty " Death penalty mandatory for the rape of a child 14 years or younger, murder, and espionage. Death penalty cannot be used for anything else outside of these crimes. Only one appeal allowed after original court case. Once a person has been sentenced to death, the death penalty must be carried out no longer than 9 months after the appeal. The Death penalty would be carried out via Carbon Monoxide poisoning or Firing Squad depending on what the criminal wanted.
Drugs " Marijuana should be taxed and legalized for people 18 years of age and up. By doing this, taxes from marijuana would be used to pay off debt and fund a variety of programs that need funding. The nation would also save money from legalizing marijuana since the prison population would shrink as a result of marijuana legalization. All other drugs would be decriminalized and people caught consuming illegal drugs would be required to attend mandatory rehab instead of being sent to jail. People involved in the illegal drug trade, trafficking, or commerce would receive a minimum of 10 years in prison.
Education " The dropout age should be 18 nationwide. If the public school you are attending is disliked, then you as the student should have the freedom to select another public school of your choosing to attend. Property taxes collectively are distributed to all the districts across the state equally so no school district is suffering from a lack of funds. College should be funded by state/federal governments to the point where it is affordable for people to attend. (Tuition shall not exceed 25% of what the average American makes per year for public colleges)

Guns " Firearms are a right that all citizens should have the right to exercise. Once citizens passed a mental health and felony background check, there would be no restrictions on their right to own a firearm.
Healthcare " The U.S should abolish Obamacare, Medicare, and Medicaid. These programs should be abolished so that the healthcare system would be privatized instead. Taking government money out of healthcare would cause hospitals to rely more on the individual for their money and not the government. This would lower healthcare prices tremendously and as a result, healthcare insurance would plummet in cost as well. To further lower the cost of insurance, insurance companies would no longer be protected by artificial state lines, and instead forced to compete with each other for customers. The competition of privatized healthcare, and the tax cuts given to all people as a result of less government spending, would make healthcare affordable to everyone.
Immigration " Legal Immigration to this Country should be limited to 0.1% of the population of the previous years estimated population. For example, if the US had a population of 315 Million the prior year, then only 315,000 Immigrants would legally be allowed to enter the U.S. Illegal Immigrants should be actively searched for and deported. Sanctuary cities should be outlawed, companies caught hiring illegal immigrants would have harsh fines/possible jail time, and illegal immigrants would have no rights or protections that legal immigrants and native-born citizens would have. English would also be the official language and all government jobs and economic activity such as advertisements would be required to be in English. Border Security would be a high priority and a wall would be built on the Mexican-Border to keep illegal Mexicans out. These strict laws against illegals would discourage them heavily from coming over here illegally, and protect legal-immigrants and native born citizens from the harmful effects of illegal immigration. People that live in nations that the U.S is currently at war with or nations that have a disease epidemic should be barred from immigrating to the U.S until that war/epidemic is finished.
Trade " Free trade deals only made with other first world nations such as Japan, Europe, and Canada. All other nations that the U.S trades with will have a 10% tariff levied on them. This will protect the U.S from the harmful effects of losing jobs to nations that pay their workers extremely low wages. Exceptions to the 10% tariff levied on all products of non-first world nations are oil, coal, natural gas, and food.
DisKamper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 5:50:00 PM

Abortion " Abortion should be legal on the Women"s request up until 18 weeks. Abortion should be legal because it reduces the population growth rate which is better for the planet. Abortion also saves lives by allowing women to terminate their babies in a safe, clean, professional setting. Abortion also reduces crime making society safer for everyone (more unwanted children means more criminals). By decreasing crime, abortion also saves the government money (Less would be spent on welfare and prison funding). Taxpayer dollars should not be used to fund abortion since it is not the governments place to force people to pay or subsidize an act they don"t believe in either on religious or moral grounds. Parental notification laws should not exist, teenagers should have the right to decide for themselves if they want to have a child or not. TRAP laws should not exist since they target reproductive rights and restrict women"s access to abortion clinics.

Makes sense, I can agree.

Birth Control " Birth Control should be legal and made free of charge to everyone. Universal birth control would cause teenage pregnancy rates to plummet, would lead to less abortions, and would lead to increased economic mobility for women of all classes. Free Birth Control would also help women become equal to men in society by giving them the tools to control when they would become pregnant. The final positive effect of free birth control was that it would save money since the government would spend less money on supporting welfare since their would be less welfare families as a result.

How would free birth control be paid for?

Death Penalty " Death penalty mandatory for the rape of a child 14 years or younger, murder, and espionage. Death penalty cannot be used for anything else outside of these crimes. Only one appeal allowed after original court case. Once a person has been sentenced to death, the death penalty must be carried out no longer than 9 months after the appeal. The Death penalty would be carried out via Carbon Monoxide poisoning or Firing Squad depending on what the criminal wanted.

Death penalty for espionage? I think capturing spies alive so they can be traded is a better plan. Also, what if someone tortures someone else, but doesn't kill them. Surely this is comparable to murder, right?

Drugs " Marijuana should be taxed and legalized for people 18 years of age and up. By doing this, taxes from marijuana would be used to pay off debt and fund a variety of programs that need funding. The nation would also save money from legalizing marijuana since the prison population would shrink as a result of marijuana legalization. All other drugs would be decriminalized and people caught consuming illegal drugs would be required to attend mandatory rehab instead of being sent to jail. People involved in the illegal drug trade, trafficking, or commerce would receive a minimum of 10 years in prison.

Makes sense to me.

Education " The dropout age should be 18 nationwide. If the public school you are attending is disliked, then you as the student should have the freedom to select another public school of your choosing to attend. Property taxes collectively are distributed to all the districts across the state equally so no school district is suffering from a lack of funds. College should be funded by state/federal governments to the point where it is affordable for people to attend. (Tuition shall not exceed 25% of what the average American makes per year for public colleges)

What about for students who are ahead? Shouldn't they be able to graduate early? Also, why aren't education property taxes distributed across the entire country to each district, proportional to the number of school-age children? Finally, doesn't affordability depend on each student's financial status? Why not simply make the government pay for x% of each student's financial need as determined by FAFSA?

Guns " Firearms are a right that all citizens should have the right to exercise. Once citizens passed a mental health and felony background check, there would be no restrictions on their right to own a firearm.

Makes sense.

Healthcare " The U.S should abolish Obamacare, Medicare, and Medicaid. These programs should be abolished so that the healthcare system would be privatized instead. Taking government money out of healthcare would cause hospitals to rely more on the individual for their money and not the government. This would lower healthcare prices tremendously and as a result, healthcare insurance would plummet in cost as well. To further lower the cost of insurance, insurance companies would no longer be protected by artificial state lines, and instead forced to compete with each other for customers. The competition of privatized healthcare, and the tax cuts given to all people as a result of less government spending, would make healthcare affordable to everyone.

How do you know competition will emerge in the healthcare system to lower prices? Patents in the pharmaceutical industry keep drug prices sky-high- won't these costs transfer over to consumers even after privatization? It seems a bit risky to me. Maybe there should be policies to ensure that competition exists.

Immigration " Legal Immigration to this Country should be limited to 0.1% of the population of the previous years estimated population. For example, if the US had a population of 315 Million the prior year, then only 315,000 Immigrants would legally be allowed to enter the U.S. Illegal Immigrants should be actively searched for and deported. Sanctuary cities should be outlawed, companies caught hiring illegal immigrants would have harsh fines/possible jail time, and illegal immigrants would have no rights or protections that legal immigrants and native-born citizens would have. English would also be the official language and all government jobs and economic activity such as advertisements would be required to be in English. Border Security would be a high priority and a wall would be built on the Mexican-Border to keep illegal Mexicans out. These strict laws against illegals would discourage them heavily from coming over here illegally, and protect legal-immigrants and native born citizens from the harmful effects of illegal immigration. People that live in nations that the U.S is currently at war with or nations that have a disease epidemic should be barred from immigrating to the U.S until that war/epidemic is finished.

Shouldn't immigration depend on the quantity of highly-skilled people that want to come to the US? If we restrict immigration, won't we lose out on people that may have contributed to our economy? Being strict against illegal immigrants is a must though- I agree. English already is our de facto official language. However, I don't quite see the logic behind making all ads English. What if a restaurant wants to target a certain demographic, like Chinese tourists? As for your last point, why would we prevent immigrants from certain countries from coming over if we can ensure that they will economically benefit us, and pose no threat?

Trade " Free trade deals only made with other first world nations such as Japan, Europe, and Canada. All other nations that the U.S trades with will have a 10% tariff levied on them. This will protect the U.S from the harmful effects of losing jobs to nations that pay their workers extremely low wages. Exceptions to the 10% tariff levied on all products of non-first world nations are oil, coal, natural gas, and food.

I completely disagree with this point. The principle of comparative advantage holds that protectionism results in allocative inefficiency. Plus this doesn't really make sense with your policies with immigration. Why reward unskilled domestic workers over skilled immigrants?

What about taxes, climate change and foreign policy?
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:07:05 PM
At 8/28/2015 2:43:38 PM, DebatorJack wrote:

Abortion.
Are these issues in the order of importance to your political platform? If so, I'd prefer you start with climate change, or budget, or something. In any case, if your pro-abortion argument is founded on the premise that abortion limits population increase and reduces crime - so to does infanticide, should that be legal as well? There are some good argument s against and for abortion - you just don't make them. I guess I'll hand it to you for not choosing pro-life or pro-choice, and taking a moderate stance.

Birth Control.
Everyone, including men? How are you going to pay for it? Just a minute ago, you said taxpayers shouldn't be forced to pay for services they don't believe in - are you challenging yourself with this point?

Death Penalty.
That is just ridiculous. What if the rapist was mentally ill? Are you aware of how many death row inmates have been proven innocent? That is why the legal process is so extensive. There are also many horrific crimes outside of the single scenario you selected for which one ought to be put to death.

CO poisoning takes a while, and a firing squad is too messy, why did you change what we have now?

Drugs .
I am all for the decriminalization of drugs, I'll give you that. The problem is that people always say, "we'll raise so much money if we tax marijuana," but they never do, because per federal law you cannot apply tax to a prescription drug. So your legal/moral premise for legalizing marijuana has to be something other than taxation.

I also don't like mandating sentences in federal law, I would rather the Courts work that out.

Education.
Just from this paragraph, I can tell you know nothing about school finance - I do not mean to insult you. K12 finance is largely a state issue regardless, so I'm not sure why you'd bring it up during a "would you vote for me" post... In any case, school finance is such a complex issue, it is not going to be resolved by any generalizations you make.

So far as higher education, how are you going to pay for that? With the marijuana money...Pshhh. I'm all for college affordability, but you just made claims with no real plan that I can see.

Guns.
I am opposed to the general interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

Healthcare.
Privatization of healthcare will never work. I am not going to get into this argument too much other than to say that you'll have people dying on the streets because they can't afford it. The Affordable Care Act, Medicare, and Medicaid are a long way from perfect, but they are far better than what you've proposed.

You are correct in that it would cost less, and it would limit population increase too :)

Immigration.
This is ridiculously specific in its parameters, but you provide no real plan with substance. Any body who says you can just build a wall does not have the slightest idea of how to solve the immigration problem.

I am in favor of increased border security, but as a part of a much more extensive policy.

Trade.
Why? Do you have any idea how much that policy would worsen the immigration problem, our international business market and our report with the international community.

The economic multipolarism of this world is far too complex for you to throw out a 10% figure and think its fine.

Ultimately, you didn't address the big issues, like entitlement reform, climate change, the budget, taxes, etc.
robertacollier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 5:46:18 AM

If you can't express yourself on an issue in 10 words or less, then no, I am not voting for you.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 5:57:33 PM

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Healthcare wouldn't cost less. This is a basic free-marketer assumption, without looking at the fallout of the situation closely. Medicaid and Medicare are very important for the needy and disadvantaged members of our country. The proposed abolition of this system is absurd. Quite frankly, the only scenario in which someone would support this is if they were wealthy and wanted more money. This would work out perfectly because the government would implement tax cuts, and rich people wouldn't have to pay as much. But they WILL survive the repercussions of the privatization, and not people who are in the lower middle class and lower class. The price would not decrease, but increase, due to the fact that there wouldn't be help for the disadvantaged anymore, and they wouldn't be able to keep up with it. This is why the systems in place work. If we wanted to fix all of this, we would need to socialize healthcare.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:38:48 PM

I agree with most of this however I believe that an abortion in response to rape should be funded by the government along with women who cant pay for a life saving abortion. Depending on government funding, other abortions could also be payed for. I would also extend the timeframe for when a women can have an abortion to at least 24 weeks.

Mostly agree with you, just dont know if it should be free of charge to everyone.

So long as these policies reduce the cost to below that of life in prison, than I'd be okay with it. However execution for murder and and espionage would have to be based on the situation. After all spies can be very useful if you can make them switch sides and executing them doesnt really make sense from a justice point of view seeing how our spies are commiting pretty much the same "crime".

For the most part I agree, but 10 years does sound harsh and wasteful for low level drug traffickers.

Im fine with this, but I would like a little more support before fully condoning this.

Mostly agree but I would also like the addition of tests to make sure people know the difference between the trigger and the safety.

So far all this is is a hypothesis. Before I could support this you would need to bring up economic models or historical trends to support your claims.

I doubt I could disagree any more. First off a wall and additional border security would be incredibly expensive and would keep out countless workers. From what I've heard form economists immigration is fairly beneficial to our economy due to the extra workers and consumers. http://www.epi.org...

Agree that foreign trade should be easier but would like to see more support for these policies. Preferably models or historical trends.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:43:49 PM
No. 16kadams 2032
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross