Chinese (and other) birth tourism

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:36:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 6:34:49 PM, TBR wrote:
Why are conservatives contrasting the outrage on "Mexcan" baby's, and not Chinese?

http://www.usatoday.com...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Sorry, concentration.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:44:51 PM
At 8/28/2015 6:39:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I don't understand your question.

The concentration for the outrage regarding citizenship of baby's born on US soil has predominantly been reserved for Mexican children. I am simply asking why Conservatives ignore the baby's born from other nations?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:49:57 PM
At 8/28/2015 6:44:51 PM, TBR wrote:
At 8/28/2015 6:39:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I don't understand your question.

The concentration for the outrage regarding citizenship of baby's born on US soil has predominantly been reserved for Mexican children. I am simply asking why Conservatives ignore the baby's born from other nations?

For ease, I suppose.
I mean, when they say Mexican, they really mean any Latino for Mexico, Central America, or even South America.
My work here is, finally, done.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:54:56 PM

For ease, I suppose.
I mean, when they say Mexican, they really mean any Latino for Mexico, Central America, or even South America.

So, I ask again. Why not express the concern about the Chinese baby's?
DisKamper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:59:01 PM
At 8/28/2015 6:54:56 PM, TBR wrote:

For ease, I suppose.

I think it is partly a political tactic. It is far scarier to talk about a Mexican "invasion" from our southern border than discuss Chinese babies being born in the US.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:59:34 PM
At 8/28/2015 6:54:56 PM, TBR wrote:

For ease, I suppose.

Because they're smart ;)
Do you really expect an actual answer? What is the point of the question?
Unless you are implying that conservatives ONLY care about Mexican anchor babies, does it really matter what country they reference? I'm assuming the Mexican anchor baby issue is more relateable, or even prominent than Chinese ones.
Isn't this a blacklivesmatter vs alllivesmatter kind of distraction?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:12:12 PM
Because they're smart ;)
Unless you are implying that conservatives ONLY care about Mexican anchor babies, does it really matter what country they reference? I'm assuming the Mexican anchor baby issue is more relateable, or even prominent than Chinese ones.

The point is exactly that! They have no issue with "anchor baby's" what they have an issue with is Mexicans.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:17:44 PM
The point is exactly that! They have no issue with "anchor baby's" what they have an issue with is Mexicans.

They do have a problem with anchor babies, of any race, the GOP Presidential hopefuls are just using Mexicans as the example, even though it is slightly illogical.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:21:51 PM
At 8/28/2015 7:17:44 PM, Praesentya wrote:

They do have a problem with anchor babies, of any race, the GOP Presidential hopefuls are just using Mexicans as the example, even though it is slightly illogical.

So simply pandering to the racial nature of the base?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:25:32 PM
Why are conservatives contrasting the outrage on "Mexcan" baby's, and not Chinese?

lol

I think they probably don't know that it's going on...
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:33:02 PM

I was having a casual conversation (in person) with someone. Said the net Mexican immigration was roughly zero. You would have thought I was trying to convince him the moon was made out of cheese.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:40:38 PM
At 8/28/2015 7:33:02 PM, TBR wrote:

I was having a casual conversation (in person) with someone. Said the net Mexican immigration was roughly zero. You would have thought I was trying to convince him the moon was made out of cheese.

No net legal immigration?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:41:43 PM

Is that what I said? Do you insist on selective reading?
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:49:00 PM
At 8/28/2015 7:21:51 PM, TBR wrote:
At 8/28/2015 7:17:44 PM, Praesentya wrote:

So simply pandering to the racial nature of the base?

Pretty much. I think it riles people up more to say "Mexican anchor babies" versus "(insert some other race) anchor babies."
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:54:33 PM
At 8/28/2015 7:41:43 PM, TBR wrote:

I'll take that as a yes then.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:02:15 PM
At 8/28/2015 7:12:12 PM, TBR wrote:
Because they're smart ;)

Maybe, or they are not aware of it, or they are unaffected by it.
I'm pretty sure Latino immigration is a big issue in New Mexico, than it is in Washington State, and aren't most GOP from the southern states?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:04:26 PM

Probably because most people aren't really aware that this happens on a large scale.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:04:43 PM

I don't think you have every really said anything. Just give it a try.

The net immigration FROM MEXICO is ~zero.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:06:42 PM
At 8/28/2015 8:04:43 PM, TBR wrote:

I don't think you have every really said anything. Just give it a try.

The net immigration FROM MEXICO is ~zero.

I could probably guess the net legal immigration from Mexico is zero, so I am inclined to believe you without fact checking.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:15:07 PM
It really isn't as racist a thing as one might think. For instance, many Mexicans may appear white, but a native-born or naturalized Black American would be favored over a whitish illegal immigrant from Mexico. Also, if Conservative Americans are magically all secret white supremacists, then they would be equally outraged by immigration from anywhere other than white-majority countries. This isn't the case. The outrage is restricted towards a single group, consisting often of white people, who violate American laws by entering the United States illegally and in very large numbers.

The DDO Blog:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:32:38 PM
At 8/28/2015 8:15:07 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It really isn't as racist a thing as one might think. For instance, many Mexicans may appear white, but a native-born or naturalized Black American would be favored over a whitish illegal immigrant from Mexico. Also, if Conservative Americans are magically all secret white supremacists, then they would be equally outraged by immigration from anywhere other than white-majority countries. This isn't the case. The outrage is restricted towards a single group, consisting often of white people, who violate American laws by entering the United States illegally and in very large numbers.

We don't have to talk in skin tones for it to be raciest.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:36:13 PM
At 8/28/2015 8:32:38 PM, TBR wrote:

It's more nationalist than anything then, since there's no reason for a European-American to dislike a Mexican more than, say, an immigrant from Africa, Vietnam, China, etc.

The DDO Blog:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:46:54 PM
At 8/28/2015 8:36:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

It's more nationalist than anything then, since there's no reason for a European-American to dislike a Mexican more than, say, an immigrant from Africa, Vietnam, China, etc.

I have using the term racism, but it fits in this context. Asians are OK, but not Hispanic. That seems to be the tacit agreement.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:47:32 PM
I have using the term racism, but it fits in this context. Asians are OK, but not Hispanic. That seems to be the tacit agreement.

hate using the term racism. Sorry, lazy typist today
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 8:52:37 PM
At 8/28/2015 8:36:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Perhaps the lion's share of illegal activity over skin tone is to blame?
Lee308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 9:05:23 PM

ANCHOR BABY is not discriminatory, don't care what flavor they are, its WRONG !