Jump to topic:

Why is it that...

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 11:10:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1. If you were head of Department Of Energy, you would be expected to give up any investments in energy companies.

2. If you worked for the pentegon, you could not sit on the board of a defense company.

Yet

There is no perceived conflict of interest for politicians when ones religious beliefs dictate a set response in the formation of foreign policy such as US Israeli relations?
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 1:47:06 AM
At 8/28/2015 11:10:34 PM, slo1 wrote:
1. If you were head of Department Of Energy, you would be expected to give up any investments in energy companies.

2. If you worked for the pentegon, you could not sit on the board of a defense company.

Yet

There is no perceived conflict of interest for politicians when ones religious beliefs dictate a set response in the formation of foreign policy such as US Israeli relations?

You are comparing a personal belief to a corporation of some kind, which is like comparing apples and oranges. Politicians can leave a board, but their beliefs and ideals are imbedded in them. The are going to effect their policy and those who voted for them are to take that into consideration when electing them. To ask them to remove their ideals is like asking for an end to all conflict. Great if they can do it, but its completely unrealistic.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 3:27:16 AM

Yet

I don't think politicians have conflict of interest ethical standards. Remember that Congresswoman in Arizona that was shot a few years back? She sat on the committee to approve funding for NASA. Just so happened that her husband is an astronaut.
My work here is, finally, done.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 5:08:48 PM
At 8/30/2015 1:47:06 AM, 58539672 wrote:

Yet

You are comparing a personal belief to a corporation of some kind, which is like comparing apples and oranges. Politicians can leave a board, but their beliefs and ideals are imbedded in them. The are going to effect their policy and those who voted for them are to take that into consideration when electing them. To ask them to remove their ideals is like asking for an end to all conflict. Great if they can do it, but its completely unrealistic.

I'm not certain I understand the difference you paint. Are you stating that the only time we should be concerned with conflict of interest and biased decision making is when there is monetary gain by a politician?

I'm not asking them to remove their ideals. I am asking them to not have ideals which dictate a predetermined response and instead use the facts at the time to formulate a response.

Why is that not important to us as a society?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 5:10:25 PM
At 8/30/2015 3:27:16 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Yet

I don't think politicians have conflict of interest ethical standards. Remember that Congresswoman in Arizona that was shot a few years back? She sat on the committee to approve funding for NASA. Just so happened that her husband is an astronaut.

There are indeed written and even unwritten rules.

http://www.ethics.senate.gov...