Jump to topic:

Arguments for the Electoral College

Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 9:08:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't believe in the electoral college, and most of the people that I've talked to don't really have an opinion on it and if they do support it they do so because it is already like that.

So I haven't really been exposed to any arguments for the electoral college. Anyway, if you support the electoral college I just would like to know a few reasons why.
Vote on my newest debate(s):
Earth: Spherical vs Flat: http://www.debate.org...
ErenBalkir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 6:33:43 PM
At 8/31/2015 9:08:12 PM, Black-Jesus wrote:
I don't believe in the electoral college, and most of the people that I've talked to don't really have an opinion on it and if they do support it they do so because it is already like that.

So I haven't really been exposed to any arguments for the electoral college. Anyway, if you support the electoral college I just would like to know a few reasons why.

No, it is terrible. You already have the right answer
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 8:27:44 PM

Well, I believe so, but for all I know I could be wrong, and I don't want to get into a debate/argument about it not really knowing anything about the other side.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 8:48:09 PM
Electorate College keeps states with huge regional differences (like California vs Iowa)
from pandering to gain a super-majority in just that region to force every other region to it's whim.
ErenBalkir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 9:02:16 PM
At 9/1/2015 8:27:44 PM, Black-Jesus wrote:

Well, I believe so, but for all I know I could be wrong, and I don't want to get into a debate/argument about it not really knowing anything about the other side.

I doubt you can find anyone willing to support it anyway
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 9:33:08 PM
I doubt you can find anyone willing to support it anyway

Yeah, just in case. But, like I said, I have yet to meet a single person that is passionately for it, but I have met people passionate about being against it. I suppose that is why you are the only person to reply to my post so far.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 10:39:11 PM

Well, one of the main reasons is to prevent very large and populous states from completely dominating the entire country. Its kind of a safe guard for the smaller states so their voice can still matter.

Another thing it keeps in line is the people itself. Many of the founding fathers feared direct democracy just as much as they feared a tyrannical king (hence why they choose a Republic system). The basic concept is that the majority can violate your rights and in some cases with greater ease than a monarchy (mob rule as it is often called). So the electoral college takes away some of the peoples power by giving it to the hands of some politically savvy elites who know what they're doing. This way they can prevent an unqualified individual from manipulating public opinion and become president. This is not the only system the founding fathers put in place to limit the people. Until very recently (relatively speaking), Senators were chosen by the state, not elected by the people.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:35:32 AM

So I haven't really been exposed to any arguments for the electoral college. Anyway, if -you support the electoral college I just would like to know a few reasons why.

To keep it simple. Without the Electoral College we would have mob rule. That's the best argument in favor of keeping the EC.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.