Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Feel the Bern

ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have never voted in my life, mostly because economically it is a waste of time, but also because the two parties never run candidates who I agree with enough. I tend to agree more with Democrats but I don't vote for them because I know that when they get elected, they usually ignore the issues I agree with them on, and instead focus their efforts on the issues where I disagree with them.

However, Bernie Sanders is the first Democratic politician in my lifetime to prioritize the economic issues. He is the first politician that I listen to and think "he will actually try to do what he is saying he wants to do, and I strongly agree that these things should be done."

Also, even though I find most Democrats to be decent at worst, Hilary Clinton is an exception. I think she'd make a terrible president, and if she ran against one of the less ridiculous Republicans, I honestly can't say that I'd want her to win. Which is sad, because I strongly disagree with practically all the Republicans in the primary on many issues.

All that to say, I may actually register to vote for the first time in my life. Never thought I'd give serious thought to this, but Bernie could inspire me to do it, even though I know it would be irrational.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:34:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have never voted in my life

Explains a lot.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:48:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 3:34:21 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have never voted in my life

Explains a lot.

That is a nice cat.
ben2974
Posts: 767
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:49:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have never voted in my life, mostly because economically it is a waste of time, but also because the two parties never run candidates who I agree with enough. I tend to agree more with Democrats but I don't vote for them because I know that when they get elected, they usually ignore the issues I agree with them on, and instead focus their efforts on the issues where I disagree with them.

However, Bernie Sanders is the first Democratic politician in my lifetime to prioritize the economic issues. He is the first politician that I listen to and think "he will actually try to do what he is saying he wants to do, and I strongly agree that these things should be done."

Also, even though I find most Democrats to be decent at worst, Hilary Clinton is an exception. I think she'd make a terrible president, and if she ran against one of the less ridiculous Republicans, I honestly can't say that I'd want her to win. Which is sad, because I strongly disagree with practically all the Republicans in the primary on many issues.

All that to say, I may actually register to vote for the first time in my life. Never thought I'd give serious thought to this, but Bernie could inspire me to do it, even though I know it would be irrational.

How many presidential elections have you been through exactly? This'll probably be my first time voting but i'm only 22. I could've voted in 2012 but didn't.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 4:00:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 3:34:21 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have never voted in my life

Explains a lot.

Care to elaborate?
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 4:04:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 3:49:46 AM, ben2974 wrote:
At 9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have never voted in my life, mostly because economically it is a waste of time, but also because the two parties never run candidates who I agree with enough. I tend to agree more with Democrats but I don't vote for them because I know that when they get elected, they usually ignore the issues I agree with them on, and instead focus their efforts on the issues where I disagree with them.

However, Bernie Sanders is the first Democratic politician in my lifetime to prioritize the economic issues. He is the first politician that I listen to and think "he will actually try to do what he is saying he wants to do, and I strongly agree that these things should be done."

Also, even though I find most Democrats to be decent at worst, Hilary Clinton is an exception. I think she'd make a terrible president, and if she ran against one of the less ridiculous Republicans, I honestly can't say that I'd want her to win. Which is sad, because I strongly disagree with practically all the Republicans in the primary on many issues.

All that to say, I may actually register to vote for the first time in my life. Never thought I'd give serious thought to this, but Bernie could inspire me to do it, even though I know it would be irrational.

How many presidential elections have you been through exactly? This'll probably be my first time voting but i'm only 22. I could've voted in 2012 but didn't.

I was born in 1992, so the first election I could have registered to vote in would have been 2010, which wasn't a presidential election. It's been 5 years since I had the option to vote, and in that time not one politician at the federal, state, or local level has inspired me to register.
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 4:36:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have never voted in my life, mostly because economically it is a waste of time, but also because the two parties never run candidates who I agree with enough. I tend to agree more with Democrats but I don't vote for them because I know that when they get elected, they usually ignore the issues I agree with them on, and instead focus their efforts on the issues where I disagree with them.

However, Bernie Sanders is the first Democratic politician in my lifetime to prioritize the economic issues. He is the first politician that I listen to and think "he will actually try to do what he is saying he wants to do, and I strongly agree that these things should be done."

Also, even though I find most Democrats to be decent at worst, Hilary Clinton is an exception. I think she'd make a terrible president, and if she ran against one of the less ridiculous Republicans, I honestly can't say that I'd want her to win. Which is sad, because I strongly disagree with practically all the Republicans in the primary on many issues.

All that to say, I may actually register to vote for the first time in my life. Never thought I'd give serious thought to this, but Bernie could inspire me to do it, even though I know it would be irrational.

I will also be voting for the first time (I just turned 18) and I too will probably be choosing Bernie. I agree that Hillary probably wont make a good president but I would take her over any of the GOP candidates. While I disagree with some of his economic policies, it's his support of an open border and social policies which makes me support him.
AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:33:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Amazing how popular Bernie Sanders is. People seem to love everything he says! It's almost as if he's trying to do that on purpose....

I think there's a word for politicians like this but I can't remember if it is prophet or panderer.
ben2974
Posts: 767
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:28:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 4:36:15 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have never voted in my life, mostly because economically it is a waste of time, but also because the two parties never run candidates who I agree with enough. I tend to agree more with Democrats but I don't vote for them because I know that when they get elected, they usually ignore the issues I agree with them on, and instead focus their efforts on the issues where I disagree with them.

However, Bernie Sanders is the first Democratic politician in my lifetime to prioritize the economic issues. He is the first politician that I listen to and think "he will actually try to do what he is saying he wants to do, and I strongly agree that these things should be done."

Also, even though I find most Democrats to be decent at worst, Hilary Clinton is an exception. I think she'd make a terrible president, and if she ran against one of the less ridiculous Republicans, I honestly can't say that I'd want her to win. Which is sad, because I strongly disagree with practically all the Republicans in the primary on many issues.

All that to say, I may actually register to vote for the first time in my life. Never thought I'd give serious thought to this, but Bernie could inspire me to do it, even though I know it would be irrational.

I will also be voting for the first time (I just turned 18) and I too will probably be choosing Bernie. I agree that Hillary probably wont make a good president but I would take her over any of the GOP candidates. While I disagree with some of his economic policies, it's his support of an open border and social policies which makes me support him.

He eventually needs to spill the beans on foreign policy. Iran deal, Isis, stance with Israel, military (and trade) relations with Japan, China, etc. General military intervention policies, etc. Every lib and their mother loves Bernie for his economic policies and social issues, but a lot of democrats are just as passionate with foreign affairs as they are with internal ones; and I believe his views align more with those of the republicans when it comes to Israel. It'll be interesting to see democrats' reactions to some of these positions.
Praesentya
Posts: 195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 5:31:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 4:04:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I was born in 1992, so the first election I could have registered to vote in would have been 2010, which wasn't a presidential election. It's been 5 years since I had the option to vote, and in that time not one politician at the federal, state, or local level has inspired me to register.

Depending on which state you live in, you're literally talking about hundreds of elected officials, potentially. Do you even know all of the elected positions in your voting area?

We tend to think of elected officials, especially at the federal level, as larger than life images, when really they are people with similar issues to the average American. I'm sure if you speak to an elected official(if you haven't already), maybe you won't be 'inspired,' but you might realize that the American political system is not as much of a waste of time as you think it is.

I don't mean to insult you, but the people who collect Social Security, Medicaid, welfare, use public transportation, get their garbage collected, use highways, airlines, have clean water, attend public education, expect services from Police, Fire, or the Military, and then actively choose not to vote because they feel above the system in some way, are very immature people.
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 6:48:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 3:28:32 PM, ben2974 wrote:
At 9/2/2015 4:36:15 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have never voted in my life, mostly because economically it is a waste of time, but also because the two parties never run candidates who I agree with enough. I tend to agree more with Democrats but I don't vote for them because I know that when they get elected, they usually ignore the issues I agree with them on, and instead focus their efforts on the issues where I disagree with them.

However, Bernie Sanders is the first Democratic politician in my lifetime to prioritize the economic issues. He is the first politician that I listen to and think "he will actually try to do what he is saying he wants to do, and I strongly agree that these things should be done."

Also, even though I find most Democrats to be decent at worst, Hilary Clinton is an exception. I think she'd make a terrible president, and if she ran against one of the less ridiculous Republicans, I honestly can't say that I'd want her to win. Which is sad, because I strongly disagree with practically all the Republicans in the primary on many issues.

All that to say, I may actually register to vote for the first time in my life. Never thought I'd give serious thought to this, but Bernie could inspire me to do it, even though I know it would be irrational.

I will also be voting for the first time (I just turned 18) and I too will probably be choosing Bernie. I agree that Hillary probably wont make a good president but I would take her over any of the GOP candidates. While I disagree with some of his economic policies, it's his support of an open border and social policies which makes me support him.

He eventually needs to spill the beans on foreign policy. Iran deal, Isis, stance with Israel, military (and trade) relations with Japan, China, etc. General military intervention policies, etc. Every lib and their mother loves Bernie for his economic policies and social issues, but a lot of democrats are just as passionate with foreign affairs as they are with internal ones; and I believe his views align more with those of the republicans when it comes to Israel. It'll be interesting to see democrats' reactions to some of these positions.

I too would like to see his foreign policies. So long as he continues our alliance with Israel while also keeping tabs on their actions than I'm happy. It would also be good if he continued negotiating with Iran and Cuba in an attempt to incentivize democratic reform.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 6:54:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I too would like to see his foreign policies. So long as he continues our alliance with Israel while also keeping tabs on their actions than I'm happy. It would also be good if he continued negotiating with Iran and Cuba in an attempt to incentivize democratic reform.

Not saying this does or should matter, but you know he is Jewish right? His grandfather was killed during the Holocaust.
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 7:24:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 6:54:43 PM, TBR wrote:
I too would like to see his foreign policies. So long as he continues our alliance with Israel while also keeping tabs on their actions than I'm happy. It would also be good if he continued negotiating with Iran and Cuba in an attempt to incentivize democratic reform.

Not saying this does or should matter, but you know he is Jewish right? His grandfather was killed during the Holocaust.

I did not know that.
ben2974
Posts: 767
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 7:28:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 6:54:43 PM, TBR wrote:
I too would like to see his foreign policies. So long as he continues our alliance with Israel while also keeping tabs on their actions than I'm happy. It would also be good if he continued negotiating with Iran and Cuba in an attempt to incentivize democratic reform.

Not saying this does or should matter, but you know he is Jewish right? His grandfather was killed during the Holocaust.

Also, a Jew in the oval office would be itself historic.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 2:04:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 5:31:56 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 9/2/2015 4:04:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I was born in 1992, so the first election I could have registered to vote in would have been 2010, which wasn't a presidential election. It's been 5 years since I had the option to vote, and in that time not one politician at the federal, state, or local level has inspired me to register.

Depending on which state you live in, you're literally talking about hundreds of elected officials, potentially. Do you even know all of the elected positions in your voting area?

I lived in Texas from birth to 18, lived in Virginia for college and now live in DC. I will readily admit that I don't know every single local position or the candidates running. But I stay pretty well informed on state and federal elections. Local politics is a different ballgame, really.

We tend to think of elected officials, especially at the federal level, as larger than life images, when really they are people with similar issues to the average American. I'm sure if you speak to an elected official(if you haven't already), maybe you won't be 'inspired,' but you might realize that the American political system is not as much of a waste of time as you think it is.

I realize they're actual people. However, their campaigns are run in a careful manner and they choose the issues they run on after a lot of deliberation. Most candidates are vocal about issues that I either don't care about, or actively oppose. A few candidates are vocal about issues I support, but then when they get elected, they sacrifice that issue as political capital for something else that I don't support. So yes, after seeing this happen countless times, it's pretty refreshing to see a politician who I actually believe will follow through with his campaign promises. Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm generally pretty skeptical about that kind of thing and I think Bernie is sincere.

I don't mean to insult you, but the people who collect Social Security, Medicaid, welfare, use public transportation, get their garbage collected, use highways, airlines, have clean water, attend public education, expect services from Police, Fire, or the Military, and then actively choose not to vote because they feel above the system in some way, are very immature people.

I'm not insulted by your mischaracterization of my position. First of all, I have paid into Social Security, Medicaid, and Welfare, but have not and will not collect from them, except maybe SS, and only if it's still around in 45 years (which is something I'm completely fine with, btw). Obviously I use (and pay taxes to fund) services like public transportation, utilities, roads and most of the other stuff you mentioned. However, I'm completely fine with this. I understand that part of being a citizen of this country means paying for those services through tax dollars, and then getting to benefit from them as well. But there really is no reason why abstaining from voting makes me an immature person.

Here's an example: I have abstained from voting because I find both candidates equally morally reprehensible. For example, the Democrat supports legislation that results in the death of innocents, as does the Republican (abortion and the death penalty, respectively).

Another example: I have abstained from voting because I don't think either candidate will enact positive immigration reform, because both parties campaign contributions are funded by businesses who don't want to lose the ability to exploit undocumented immigrants for cheap labor.

Another example: I have abstained from voting because I know that my vote makes no mathematical difference. Why should I waste gas money and time to go to the polls when I know that the biggest most important elections will never be decided by a single vote? And yes, I know, if everyone thought that way, then one vote would matter, blah blah blah... so why don't I make you the same offer I make everyone else: if my vote would have changed the outcome of any future presidential election, then I will give you $10,000. But until that happens, you have to shut up about me not voting. Deal?
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 2:54:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 3:34:21 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/2/2015 2:15:05 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have never voted in my life

Explains a lot.

^^ Haha. xD This is gold.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW