Jump to topic:

Kim Davis Ky clerk

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 2:41:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The saga continues as the feisty four time married adultrious, nut insists she can refuse to do her job.

Time to send in the federal government? It's been done before.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 4:14:27 PM
No need to send in the federal government, whatever that means. Just find her in contempt and fine her 150% of her salary until she does her job or resigns. Maybe when she's bankrupt and homeless she'll wise up.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 4:45:00 PM
At 9/2/2015 4:14:27 PM, Burzmali wrote:
No need to send in the federal government, whatever that means. Just find her in contempt and fine her 150% of her salary until she does her job or resigns. Maybe when she's bankrupt and homeless she'll wise up.

Well, she is elected. She could be impeached, but that would take a vote from the legislature. She can not be "fined" like this, because there is no mechanism to do so. She can be held in contempt of court. There are a couple fines they are attempting to hit her with that add up to less than 1000$.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 6:04:12 PM
At 9/2/2015 4:45:00 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/2/2015 4:14:27 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Well, she is elected. She could be impeached, but that would take a vote from the legislature. She can not be "fined" like this, because there is no mechanism to do so. She can be held in contempt of court. There are a couple fines they are attempting to hit her with that add up to less than 1000$.

My understanding of being in contempt is that they can continue to fine her as long as she is in contempt. That sounds like she could be hit with those fines daily as long as she keeps denying people marriage licenses. They could throw her in jail, but I believe the couples that are suing have requested that the judge not do that.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 6:12:29 PM
My understanding of being in contempt is that they can continue to fine her as long as she is in contempt. That sounds like she could be hit with those fines daily as long as she keeps denying people marriage licenses. They could throw her in jail, but I believe the couples that are suing have requested that the judge not do that.

This may be true, and I bet she has more than enough people lining up to pay the fine.

This is the first case in my lifetime that hearkens back to the like of Brown versus Board of Education. The SCOTUS has NO enforcement powers, it relies on the federal government for enforcement. In this case, I think its even more tricky. We could send troops down, but to do what exactly?
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 6:25:01 PM
At 9/2/2015 6:12:29 PM, TBR wrote:
This may be true, and I bet she has more than enough people lining up to pay the fine.

This is the first case in my lifetime that hearkens back to the like of Brown versus Board of Education. The SCOTUS has NO enforcement powers, it relies on the federal government for enforcement. In this case, I think its even more tricky. We could send troops down, but to do what exactly?

Yeah, that's what I wondered. I don't think the federal government can do anything other than find her in contempt. And the only other way to solve the problem is for the KY legislature to impeach her, which seems incredibly unlikely.
TubOLard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 5:05:15 AM

One branch of government against another. Bad characters battling bad charactersl is the stuff of legend.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 2:23:53 PM
At 9/3/2015 10:30:15 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Lol, this issue would be over in a nanosecond were she employed in the private sector.

You're fired!

If she were employed by the government it would be over too. The problem is, she is elected.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 2:27:43 PM
God told her to stay strong. He will provide......

I often told my staff who where struggling with change that if tomorrow we suddenly change the office to a milk bottling factor, heand I will be bottling milk or we will have to look elsewhere for work.

Simple concept, but for some reason this entire conservative Christian moment has it in their head that behaviors towards others due to a religious belief is a protected by the constitution because the behavior is based upon a religious belief. They are trying to pervert the rule of law and as this lady will find out, it is not so easy even with God in your supposed corner.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:42:37 PM
At 9/3/2015 2:23:53 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/3/2015 10:30:15 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Lol, this issue would be over in a nanosecond were she employed in the private sector.

You're fired!

If she were employed by the government it would be over too. The problem is, she is elected.

Protected elite. Bow and worship.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:58:37 PM
At 9/2/2015 2:41:28 PM, TBR wrote:
The saga continues as the feisty four time married adultrious, nut insists she can refuse to do her job.

As of about 1:15 PM ,Thursday, Sept. 3, 2015 Kim Davis is in custody of US Federal Marshalls for contempt of court. Judge Bunning has jailed her until such time as she obeys the law. He has also warned her staff that they can be jailed now too, if they refuse to issue marriage license.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 7:40:19 PM
At 9/3/2015 7:34:52 PM, TBR wrote:
UPDATE!!!

http://www.usnews.com...

YUP. Jail!

Good.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 7:47:19 PM
I heard a rumor that her staff were willing to issue marriage licences but they were afraid that she would retaliate. Can any body confirm or deny this?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 7:53:27 PM
At 9/3/2015 7:47:19 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
I heard a rumor that her staff were willing to issue marriage licences but they were afraid that she would retaliate. Can any body confirm or deny this?

That is exactly what was being reported.
Gingeral2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 7:54:36 PM
UPDATE!!!

YUP. Jail!

She is going to jail because of her religion basically. This is the future of america. A country that jails people for believing.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 7:57:13 PM
At 9/3/2015 7:54:36 PM, Gingeral2 wrote:
UPDATE!!!

YUP. Jail!

She is going to jail because of her religion basically. This is the future of america. A country that jails people for believing.

She is going to jail for breaking the law... You know, like criminal's
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:09:57 PM
At 9/3/2015 7:53:27 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/3/2015 7:47:19 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

That is exactly what was being reported.

Ah ok good to know.
Gingeral2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:14:07 PM
At 9/3/2015 7:57:13 PM, TBR wrote:
UPDATE!!!

YUP. Jail!

She is going to jail because she refused to give a license which goes against her beliefs. They are forcing her to be an atheist
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:15:48 PM

She is going to jail because she refused to give a license which goes against her beliefs. They are forcing her to be an atheist

No, they are forcing her to obey the law. She is free to quit any time she likes. She could also allow others to issue the licenses.

She is holding her breath like a spoiled child.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:22:22 PM
At 9/3/2015 8:15:48 PM, TBR wrote:

No, they are forcing her to obey the law. She is free to quit any time she likes. She could also allow others to issue the licenses.

http://www.wkyt.com......

ASHLAND, Ky. (WKYT/AP) - A federal judge ordered Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis back to jail after she refused to authorize her deputies to grant marriage licenses.

Five of the six deputy clerks in Rowan County told a judge on Thursday that they will issue marriage licenses to gay couples, despite their boss' refusal to do so.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs proposed allowing her out of custody if she agrees to not interfere with marriage licenses for gay couples.

U.S. District Judge David Bunning agreed to the proposal, but Davis told him she'd rather stay in jail than allow her deputies to issue marriage licenses. Bunning ordered her back to jail.
Gingeral2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:25:24 PM

Its her religious right. The government is forcing the religious to do things they dont want. That is wrong
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:25:51 PM
At 9/3/2015 8:14:07 PM, Gingeral2 wrote:
At 9/3/2015 7:57:13 PM, TBR wrote:
UPDATE!!!

YUP. Jail!

Then don't work for the government.
It's as simple as that.
My work here is, finally, done.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:33:52 PM
Religious rights do not allow you to break laws and court orders.

Want to live you life in service to God, work for a church. Want to work for the secular government, obey the law.
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:34:36 PM
At 9/3/2015 8:25:24 PM, Gingeral2 wrote:

Its her religious right. The government is forcing the religious to do things they dont want. That is wrong

She's also forcing her religous beliefs onto her deputies. Like what wsmunit7 said, she would'nt authorize her deputies to hand out marriage licences. Also nobody is forcing her to stay in that job and if she can't do what is required for that occupation than she shouldnt be in it.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:35:58 PM
At 9/3/2015 8:25:24 PM, Gingeral2 wrote:

Follow the link above and read the whole story. The judge has religious convictions too (Roman Catholic).
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 9:02:05 PM
Due to personal beliefs, I do not support same sex marriage; however, people have to obey the law provided by their government. I am a Christian, and I can disagree with the law, but if I don't follow it, I have to except the consequences. Even though we have freedom of religion, it doesn't trump the rules at your workplace. I mean, we all have freedom of speech, but we can't exercise that right completely in our work environments (you can't just say anything and everything you might want to in a work environment). You have to abide by the rules you are given by your employer, and in this case, you could say the rules changed, and so you have to adjust.

Acting out like this person did, and to become a national spectacle only adds fuel to the fire that people believe that "godly" people are irrational. There are plenty on the far right, and far left, but I think most people fall in the middle somewhere. I get that she wants to take a stand for her beliefs, but this wasn't the time or place to try to reinforce her beliefs. Plenty of Christians are smart, reasonable people, that understand the proper ways to support their beliefs, and voice their concerns about issues that they believe need to be addressed. Please don't let one outspoken misguided individual shape your attitudes toward all Christians.