Jump to topic:

Protesting Mosques

Brendan21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 9:02:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I know it's their legal right, but should people be protesting the mosque 2 blocks down from ground zero and all across they country like they are? I personally don't think so, and I was wondering what the DDO community thought.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 9:05:47 PM
At 9/7/2010 9:02:58 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
I know it's their legal right, but should people be protesting the mosque 2 blocks down from ground zero and all across they country like they are? I personally don't think so, and I was wondering what the DDO community thought.

I'd be more concerned if people weren't sharing their opinions and just mindlessly following the majority. If they feel threatened by it, by all means express why. I'd love to hear a rational statement on why it should not be there. But if it's just Islamophobic people ranting unintelligibly, then no they should not protest. Because they are annoying.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 9:07:46 PM

It is their legal right, but they should not. Not anymore than they should protest if they start building churches in the middle east. Not anymore than if they would protest a synogauge in the same place.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 9:09:51 PM
At 9/7/2010 9:05:47 PM, annhasle wrote:

I'd be more concerned if people weren't sharing their opinions and just mindlessly following the majority. If they feel threatened by it, by all means express why. I'd love to hear a rational statement on why it should not be there. But if it's just Islamophobic people ranting unintelligibly, then no they should not protest. Because they are annoying.

Eh, I think they shouldn't have the opinion, but if they have it express it.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 9:24:11 PM
Many people often use the example that churches aren't allowed in Saudi Arabia in order to justify their protesting. However, you can't really compare the two as Saudi Arabia is extremist, America isn't. Besides, there are many islamic countries that allow churches, temples, etc. to be built. I know Pakistan has churches as does the UAE.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://weknowdubai.com...
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 9:32:38 PM
At 9/7/2010 9:07:46 PM, lovelife wrote:

It is their legal right, but they should not. Not anymore than they should protest if they start building churches in the middle east. Not anymore than if they would protest a synogauge in the same place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Jews who flew airplanes into the World Trade Center...

Not that I would deny them their legal right to build the mosque there, or even that I care enough to bother protesting, but I do think it's in poor taste.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 9:47:58 PM
At 9/7/2010 9:32:38 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 9/7/2010 9:07:46 PM, lovelife wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Jews who flew airplanes into the World Trade Center...

So the religion of a small group determines what the rest of that group can do?

Not that I would deny them their legal right to build the mosque there, or even that I care enough to bother protesting, but I do think it's in poor taste.

Eh I think its kinda poor taste but if they want it I don't see what would be that bad about it. Its not like the members of that mosque go out and kill people.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 9:53:55 PM
At 9/7/2010 9:47:58 PM, lovelife wrote:

So the religion of a small group determines what the rest of that group can do?

Some people certainly seem to believe that.

Eh I think its kinda poor taste but if they want it I don't see what would be that bad about it. Its not like the members of that mosque go out and kill people.

Yea, I have never heard of Sufis killing anybody.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 9:58:04 PM
I just don't see why religion is such a big deal. They were obviously mental, religion didn't cause that.

Its like saying whites can't gather in some southern places because it has a KKK history.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 11:42:50 PM
The people that put my country to ruins still have their churches there and keep constructing them, but I am not being narrow-minded and protesting against it because I know that not all followers of the churches wanted to destroy my country.

It is also not poor taste to build a mosque near Ground Zero. If anything, not even a Muslim should be allowed to bear near it and pray in any way. A mosque is mostly used to lead congregational prayer, but that can also be done is someone's house, if needed. So, forbid buying homes there for Muslims? No. People need to grow up and be educated about what a mosque serves the purpose for if they want to oppose it.
Brendan21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 1:01:28 PM
Another good point is, American Muslims were also killed by terrorists during 9/11. Are they some how less important than the other victims?
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 1:56:43 PM

They are entitled to protest, but it is more political if anything. Lots of non sense, while there are so many other important things domestically that are being neglected.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 3:41:52 PM
At 9/8/2010 1:01:28 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
Another good point is, American Muslims were also killed by terrorists during 9/11. Are they some how less important than the other victims?

There are also muslim americans serving in the US military, some even overseas.
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 4:28:27 PM
At 9/8/2010 3:41:52 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/8/2010 1:01:28 PM, Brendan21 wrote:

There are also muslim americans serving in the US military, some even overseas.
One is trying to get deferred from Afghanistan deployment.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 4:36:36 PM
At 9/8/2010 4:28:27 PM, juvanya wrote:
One is trying to get deferred from Afghanistan deployment.

How many white Christians also tried to get deferred from Afghanistan deployment? Guarantee it's been a lot more.

Besides, what does it even matter? One guy does it, so the rest of them are clearly of the same mindset?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 7:43:14 PM

It's just down right disrespectful. No respect anymore these days. Why when I was young this kind of crap didn't go on like it does these days.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Brendan21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 9:19:01 PM
At 9/8/2010 7:43:14 PM, jharry wrote:

It's just down right disrespectful. No respect anymore these days. Why when I was young this kind of crap didn't go on like it does these days.

Bummer us youngins have to grow up with the shenanigans some dumb adults produce. I hope most of us just realize how foolish our elders are being.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 9:44:44 PM

So should we be concerned about all the spots where Christians performed atrocities like murder, oppression, forced conversion, etc? Because it will be pretty hard to find a spot to build one then!

Then you must be pretty sickened by Christians' decisions not to research the areas they put up Churches considering the 2 millenia of bloodshed that has accompanied their religion, right? Just keeping you consistent!
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 9:46:16 PM
One of my Republican friends on facebook is promising to protest a mosque being built here in Green Bay, simply because of the political spotlight on the ground zero mosque.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 9:50:23 PM
At 9/8/2010 9:46:16 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
One of my Republican friends on facebook is promising to protest a mosque being built here in Green Bay, simply because of the political spotlight on the ground zero mosque.

Thats just sad.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 9:52:46 PM
At 9/8/2010 9:44:44 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:

So should we be concerned about all the spots where Christians performed atrocities like murder, oppression, forced conversion, etc? Because it will be pretty hard to find a spot to build one then!

I know it doesn't mean much, but I actually created a page on facebook in response to this "No Mosque at Ground Zero" nonsense. Mine is a page against building churches at ground zero, lol.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 10:20:09 PM
At 9/8/2010 9:52:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I know it doesn't mean much, but I actually created a page on facebook in response to this "No Mosque at Ground Zero" nonsense. Mine is a page against building churches at ground zero, lol.

Link?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 10:21:50 PM
At 9/8/2010 10:20:09 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
At 9/8/2010 9:52:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Link?

It's quite trollish, but here it is: http://www.facebook.com...
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 10:22:01 PM
there's one with 124 fans and no pic... If that's yours you need to get a picture or people will be much less likely to join!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 10:23:20 PM
At 9/8/2010 10:22:01 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
there's one with 124 fans and no pic... If that's yours you need to get a picture or people will be much less likely to join!

There is a pic.