Jump to topic:

Why isn't Ben Carson popular?

Hawlucha
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 6:46:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is it because he's a Republican? Is it because he's not really a favorite by the media? Or because Obama's Presidency was so bad that it affected his chances of having a second black President thanks to Obama's racial stirring for the last 3 years?

Personally I'd rather have Dr. Carson as President over Trump or Hilary. And unlike Obama at least Carson was known for being a neurosurgeon more so than being black.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 8:15:26 PM
At 9/8/2015 6:46:22 PM, Hawlucha wrote:
Is it because he's a Republican? Is it because he's not really a favorite by the media? Or because Obama's Presidency was so bad that it affected his chances of having a second black President thanks to Obama's racial stirring for the last 3 years?

Personally I'd rather have Dr. Carson as President over Trump or Hilary. And unlike Obama at least Carson was known for being a neurosurgeon more so than being black.

Its your party. Can't get him nominated, don't blame Obama.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 8:28:40 PM

People are scared his religiosity will contaminate his policies and his elected officials.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 9:58:47 PM
At 9/8/2015 8:28:40 PM, ben2974 wrote:

People are scared his religiosity will contaminate his policies and his elected officials.

He's also never held an elected office before which is a bit of a problem, since a lot of people on a plane prefer to have a pilot who has flown the plane before so to speak
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 10:00:02 PM
At 9/8/2015 9:58:47 PM, imabench wrote:

He's also never held an elected office before which is a bit of a problem, since a lot of people on a plane prefer to have a pilot who has flown the plane before so to speak

It take a neurosurgeon nowadays to be a community organizer.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 10:29:21 PM
At 9/8/2015 10:00:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

It take a neurosurgeon nowadays to be a community organizer.

Well I guess you can completely ignore the three terms in the il statehouse, and the another term in us senate.
Hawlucha
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 11:08:05 PM

Neither did Trump. He's just a bombastic character anyway, not really a politician. He enforces the notion that celebrities shouldn't run for Presidency. Hell, Kanye West wants to run for Presidency 4 years from now; God forbid that happens otherwise he'll make a law where you're pretty much forced to "care about Black people".
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 1:47:31 AM

He is pretty popular, but the reason he isn't more popular is because his the majority of his policy ideas are objectively stupid.
Tsar of DDO
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 1:49:31 AM
At 9/9/2015 1:47:31 AM, YYW wrote:

He is pretty popular, but the reason he isn't more popular is because his the majority of his policy ideas are objectively stupid.

Isn't that a criterion for popularity amongst the GOP base? It certainly was for Trump, though it is interesting to see Carson surge alongside him when the two couldn't be more different, save for similarly being non-politicians.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 1:52:42 AM
At 9/9/2015 1:49:31 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Isn't that a criterion for popularity amongst the GOP base? It certainly was for Trump, though it is interesting to see Carson surge alongside him when the two couldn't be more different, save for similarly being non-politicians.

Trump and Carson are both polling well among the base. But really, the reason why Carson is popular among the base is because he says things like "let's model the tax system after the Bible!" while being black so that they can prove they're not racists.
Tsar of DDO
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 1:58:51 AM
At 9/9/2015 1:52:42 AM, YYW wrote:

Trump and Carson are both polling well among the base. But really, the reason why Carson is popular among the base is because he says things like "let's model the tax system after the Bible!" while being black so that they can prove they're not racists.

The "token black" part I definitely agree on. The funny thing is, they have a token black, token women, two token Hispanics, and a token Indian. It's interesting Cruz isn't doing as well, as he positions himself such that he can pretend to speak their language, notwithstanding the fact that he laps them on IQ.

The whole tithing thing might be it, but that seems at odds with Trump's popularity, who (a) is far more liberal on economics than the rest, and even said outright that he doesn't fully buy supply-side economics (which I guess puts me to the right of him) and (b) couldn't name his favorite Bible verse. The first implies they don't care about tax cuts -- probably because they're ultra-religious rednecks -- and the latter that, apparently, they don't care about him actually knowing a damned thing about his religion (probably because they don't either).

DDO's Economics Messiah
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 2:00:16 AM

He's black and a Republican. That just doesn't mix well.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 2:05:50 AM
At 9/9/2015 1:58:51 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
The "token black" part I definitely agree on.

Well I'm glad because anyone who disagrees is wrong.

The funny thing is, they have a token black, token women, two token Hispanics, and a token Indian. It's interesting Cruz isn't doing as well, as he positions himself such that he can pretend to speak their language, notwithstanding the fact that he laps them on IQ.

Cruz isn't really Latino. He's as white as I am. And to be frank, I'd put Carson against Cruz any day, in terms of IQ. The thing is that IQ isn't what win's elections. Being trustworthy, having a vision, and sheer audacity are what win elections. Cruz is audacious, but his vision is obviously bullsh!t and he looks, talks, and acts like a snake in the grass which is why his political career will go no higher than it is now.

People not only don't trust him, he gives them great pause because everything he does is so obviously fake. He is more manipulative than the Clinton's ever were, and that is why so many Republicans (other than the most profoundly inept) hate him. Trump doesn't have that problem. Trump is a complete douche, but he's trustworthy because he's blunt which implies -to voters- a unique degree of honesty and straightforwardness that no other candidate has. Well, Carson almost has it. But that's what's driving these election results. It's also hilarious to see everyone in the media be so stupid as to not see it. It's obvious.

The whole tithing thing might be it, but that seems at odds with Trump's popularity....

Policy doesn't matter. I mean, it does, but only so far as it's "permission to play." Personality and trustworthiness are what win elections.
Tsar of DDO
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 2:11:49 AM
At 9/9/2015 2:05:50 AM, YYW wrote:

The funny thing is, they have a token black, token women, two token Hispanics, and a token Indian. It's interesting Cruz isn't doing as well, as he positions himself such that he can pretend to speak their language, notwithstanding the fact that he laps them on IQ.

Cruz isn't really Latino. He's as white as I am.

What do you mean? Because he renounced his Canadian citizenship and says utterly stupid things about immigration?

And to be frank, I'd put Carson against Cruz any day, in terms of IQ. The thing is that IQ isn't what win's elections. Being trustworthy, having a vision, and sheer audacity are what win elections. Cruz is audacious, but his vision is obviously bullsh!t and he looks, talks, and acts like a snake in the grass which is why his political career will go no higher than it is now.

I agree with all this, except for why looking and sounding like a snake in the grass will actually be deleterious. That might be the case in a general (though Mitt sure got a bump in the polls after the first debate, because he looked and sounded like a president), but I don't see how Trump is any different in that respect. I suppose he might come across as a bit more authentic, but I'd be shocked if people couldn't see through the act and realize that he's telling them what they want to hear.

People not only don't trust him, he gives them great pause because everything he does is so obviously fake. He is more manipulative than the Clinton's ever were, and that is why so many Republicans (other than the most profoundly inept) hate him. Trump doesn't have that problem. Trump is a complete douche, but he's trustworthy because he's blunt which implies -to voters- a unique degree of honesty and straightforwardness that no other candidate has. Well, Carson almost has it. But that's what's driving these election results. It's also hilarious to see everyone in the media be so stupid as to not see it. It's obvious.

I suppose that might be how he's perceived, and maybe I'm being egocentric in saying this, but I really have trouble believing that even *he* thinks he can get Mexico to pay for the wall, or deport 11 million people, etc. To be trustworthy, you have to at least sound serious, and to me he doesn't. Maybe that makes me an elitist and the GOP base blithering idiots, though I hope that isn't the case.

The whole tithing thing might be it, but that seems at odds with Trump's popularity....

Policy doesn't matter. I mean, it does, but only so far as it's "permission to play." Personality and trustworthiness are what win elections.

This is probably true. I went on a rant about this the other day, lol. It upsets me greatly.

DDO's Economics Messiah
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:00:30 AM

I don't know why exactly, but that made me snicker out-loud. I expected something a little more esoteric than "objectively stupid". No issue with the assessment, but....
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:32:49 AM

I mean I could vote for him, but his opposition to evolution is weird...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 1:51:13 PM

The only things I really know about his policies are that he 1) wants to increase military spending and 2) impose a proportional tax rate (God gives you 10 dates, you give 1 date away. 100 dates? 10 dates! lol).

What else should I know by now?
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 2:01:28 PM
At 9/8/2015 11:08:05 PM, Hawlucha wrote:

Neither did Trump. He's just a bombastic character anyway, not really a politician. He enforces the notion that celebrities shouldn't run for Presidency. Hell, Kanye West wants to run for Presidency 4 years from now; God forbid that happens otherwise he'll make a law where you're pretty much forced to "care about Black people".

Political inexperience is definitely gonna be the major downfall for Trump and likely Carson. A few more of those "gotcha" moments that Trump went through, and it's over. Especially if it comes on live tele/debate.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 2:33:10 PM

Lol, what racial stirring by Obama? And even if that were the case why would Obama's "racial stirring" effect Carsons' chances as a black Presidential hopeful any more than the racial stirring of past white presidents' effect the chances of other white presidential hopefuls?

Personally I'd rather have Dr. Carson as President over Trump or Hilary.

I think Sanders is a better choice than both of them.

And unlike Obama at least Carson was known for being a neurosurgeon more so than being black.

LOl, wth are you talking about?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 6:57:25 PM
At 9/9/2015 2:05:50 AM, YYW wrote:

Cruz isn't really Latino...People not only don't trust him, he gives them great pause because everything he does is so obviously fake. He is more manipulative than the Clinton's ever were, and that is why so many Republicans (other than the most profoundly inept) hate him.

I get what you're saying. I don't think he is trustworthy, and it seems like he's using his post as a stepping stone for higher office. Why is he running for president if he has been a senator for 4 years - the same length Obama was a senator?

He also seems to focus on political meandering - the shutdown, calling Mitch McConnell a 'liar', dissing the Iran deal without a meaningful alternative. He is like the opposite of Rand Paul in this regard, because Cruz isn't focusing on policy solutions from what I have seen.

And he is polling fairly well at the moment. I mean I think he was fifth, which is higher than Walker, Huckabee, and Christie.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 7:12:11 PM

The "token black" part I definitely agree on. The funny thing is, they have a token black, token women, two token Hispanics, and a token Indian. It's interesting Cruz isn't doing as well, as he positions himself such that he can pretend to speak their language, notwithstanding the fact that he laps them on IQ.

The whole tithing thing might be it, but that seems at odds with Trump's popularity, who (a) is far more liberal on economics than the rest, and even said outright that he doesn't fully buy supply-side economics (which I guess puts me to the right of him) and (b) couldn't name his favorite Bible verse. The first implies they don't care about tax cuts -- probably because they're ultra-religious rednecks -- and the latter that, apparently, they don't care about him actually knowing a damned thing about his religion (probably because they don't either).

Wait, wait, wait, you know so much about economics, and yet you believe in supply-side/trickle-down?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 7:25:18 PM
At 9/9/2015 7:12:11 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Wait, wait, wait, you know so much about economics, and yet you believe in supply-side/trickle-down?

Yes.

The world is a bit more nuanced, Endark, than many would let on.

DDO's Economics Messiah
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:10:02 PM
Maybe because no one heard of him prior to the Republican Debate? To this day, I barely know who he is. I think this is partly due to the fact that the republican field is already so crowded.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:10:50 PM
At 9/9/2015 7:25:18 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Yes.

This I have to hear. I was sure those abominations were discredited.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:50:13 PM
Is it because he's a Republican?
No, he's not that popular within the Republican voters either.
Is it because he's not really a favorite by the media?
Neither was Bernie Sanders until he started bringing in huge crowds.
Or because Obama's Presidency was so bad that it affected his chances of having a second black President thanks to Obama's racial stirring for the last 3 years?
Uh yeah, no.

I think it's because he's appeared so incompetent in matters such as foreign policy that people stopped taking him seriously.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 11:06:50 PM
At 9/9/2015 8:10:50 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/9/2015 7:25:18 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Yes.

This I have to hear. I was sure those abominations were discredited.

I mean, the liquidationist view is patently wrong: the position that prices and wages are flexible and thus demand shocks don't matter, in which case policymakers should merely control supply-factors, as only those actually impact output.

But, the problem is, much like so-called "supply-siders -- and I really hate framing an economics debate in terms of politics, because most people who opine on this sh1t without the background are conceited, ignorant fcks -- might deny the potency of demand, die-hard liberals will deny the potency of supply. You'll see morons for instance argue that consumption is *all* that matters, in which case any policy -- like the MW -- which might boost consumption is ipso facto optimal; that isn't the case. Many of them will parrot the same tired, heavily debunked arguments: consumption, tax rates during the 1950s (a lot more complex than pseudo-economists like Robert Reich will let on), the idea that wages have been "flat" for thirty years (total bullsh1t), everything they say about trade or about open borders, and more. They're just completely full of sh1t in every respect, and need to come to terms with the fact that there isn't a free lunch -- and disabusing themselves of the "efficiency wage hypothesis," at least with their jaded interpretation, is a great way to do that.

DDO's Economics Messiah