Jump to topic:

Black Lives Matter & Obama

Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 7:37:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Just a thought, but with all the over the top and excessive media coverage on who's going to be president, why isn't there more coverage on what the current president is or isn't doing. I haven't seen hardly any articles about how the BLM movement has tried to reach out to Obama (who is a black), for discussions on their situation.

Maybe the media doesn't want to cover the story, or maybe Obama doesn't want the negative attachments that come with BLM press. You'd think our president would stand up and support law enforcement officers, and try to cool down the BLM rhetoric, but I guess that's not going to happen, what a shame.

People from the left and right expect help and protection from the police, you'd think our leader could show some dignity, respect, and intelligence when it comes to officers/police. I never had an abundance of respect for the man, but he is president, but his actions/words towards this recent wave of cop killings should make the people that voted for him ashamed.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 7:44:10 PM
BLM is more than just police reform.

But, I'm pretty sure the POTUS is much harder to approach than any other politician. If they were to try to shut down his speech, they would probably get shot. Whereas, lessor politicians or events have much more lax security.

And, I could be wrong, but I thought Obama did meet with these people once before, months ago.
My work here is, finally, done.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:10:26 PM
At 9/9/2015 7:44:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

But, I'm pretty sure the POTUS is much harder to approach than any other politician. If they were to try to shut down his speech, they would probably get shot. Whereas, lessor politicians or events have much more lax security.

And, I could be wrong, but I thought Obama did meet with these people once before, months ago.

Obama did meet with a small number of them back in Ferguson when the movement was young, but when I tried to find more recent articles, I didn't really see anything. I guess the administration understands that the public isn't very supportive of the groups tactics, and so further connection to this group would be bad press, which equals bad ratings/polling numbers. Like most outspoken groups, they may have some valid points, but their approach to the problem prevents actions from respectable people to help their cause.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:25:56 PM
At 9/9/2015 8:10:26 PM, Todd0611 wrote:

Obama did meet with a small number of them back in Ferguson when the movement was young, but when I tried to find more recent articles, I didn't really see anything. I guess the administration understands that the public isn't very supportive of the groups tactics, and so further connection to this group would be bad press, which equals bad ratings/polling numbers. Like most outspoken groups, they may have some valid points, but their approach to the problem prevents actions from respectable people to help their cause.

Why would Obama care?
That is the beauty of the lame duck president. He can do what he wants, because there is no backlash, except for maybe the party, but even that isn't likely. He's never going to hold public office again.
My work here is, finally, done.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:53:21 PM
Well Obama's on his way out. What with the campaigning underway, I'm pretty sure they see it more effective to make this an election issue, instead of bringing it up with Obama, who won't run again.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:59:14 PM
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:14:03 PM

This is probably the best explanation...they don't interrupt Hillary Clinton events either without invitation probably because of her secret service detail.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:18:14 PM
At 9/9/2015 7:37:11 PM, Todd0611 wrote:
Just a thought, but with all the over the top and excessive media coverage on who's going to be president, why isn't there more coverage on what the current president is or isn't doing. I haven't seen hardly any articles about how the BLM movement has tried to reach out to Obama (who is a black), for discussions on their situation.

Thats cause there is literally no one in charge of the movement. the BLM movement has grown so large so quick that there has yet to be any kind of system of coordination set in place so that the movement can be channeled and organized for the betterment of black people. Literally anyone can throw together a BLM movement and anyone can spout whatever they want while representing the movement as well.

Maybe the media doesn't want to cover the story, or maybe Obama doesn't want the negative attachments that come with BLM press. You'd think our president would stand up and support law enforcement officers, and try to cool down the BLM rhetoric, but I guess that's not going to happen, what a shame.

Thats because there actually is a pandemic of police officer brutality against minorities in this country....

People from the left and right expect help and protection from the police, you'd think our leader could show some dignity, respect, and intelligence when it comes to officers/police.

He has literally sent some of the most high ranking officials in government to attend the funerals of slain guards in their honor, such as the Director of the FBI and Biden himself. Try to get your facts straight.

http://thehill.com...
http://www.americanthinker.com...

I never had an abundance of respect for the man, but he is president, but his actions/words towards this recent wave of cop killings should make the people that voted for him ashamed.

You think that because you are ignorant and uniformed
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:45:35 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:18:14 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/9/2015 7:37:11 PM, Todd0611 wrote:

Thats cause there is literally no one in charge of the movement. the BLM movement has grown so large so quick that there has yet to be any kind of system of coordination set in place so that the movement can be channeled and organized for the betterment of black people. Literally anyone can throw together a BLM movement and anyone can spout whatever they want while representing the movement as well.

Thats because there actually is a pandemic of police officer brutality against minorities in this country....

People from the left and right expect help and protection from the police, you'd think our leader could show some dignity, respect, and intelligence when it comes to officers/police.

He has literally sent some of the most high ranking officials in government to attend the funerals of slain guards in their honor, such as the Director of the FBI and Biden himself. Try to get your facts straight.

http://thehill.com...
http://www.americanthinker.com...

I never had an abundance of respect for the man, but he is president, but his actions/words towards this recent wave of cop killings should make the people that voted for him ashamed.

You think that because you are ignorant and uniformed

If I was uninformed, then I wouldn't have researched online articles referencing Obama and police. There are plenty of articles that explain how police officers (like the ones in Boston) feel they are not getting the support they need from the White House. You can also find articles about how police in Baltimore also do not feel like they have the support from their leaders to do their job. An uninformed, or ignorant person would not have researched information first to discuss. This is a discussion forum, correct? I have my opinion, you obviously have yours. The BLM movement should be concerned about police violence, but I seriously disagree with their tactics. From what I've read, they are extremely rude and unorganized. The numbers, from the articles I've read don't prove their is a "pandemic" of police brutality against minorities. Yes it exists, and is wrong, but how come most of the time when these types of issues come up, the fact that the law was being broken in some form or fashion is not brought up? And please, name calling is for children.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:53:14 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:45:35 PM, Todd0611 wrote:

If I was uninformed, then I wouldn't have researched online articles referencing Obama and police.

You haven't posted a single source in this entire thread.

There are plenty of articles that explain how police officers (like the ones in Boston) feel they are not getting the support they need from the White House.

How people 'feel' doesn't qualify as factual evidence.

The numbers, from the articles I've read don't prove their is a "pandemic" of police brutality against minorities.

You should try looking at sources other than what Fox News tries to shove down people's throats.... Hispanics and blacks are proportionally far more likely to experience police brutality than white people...

Yes it exists, and is wrong, but how come most of the time when these types of issues come up, the fact that the law was being broken in some form or fashion is not brought up?

Selling cigarettes on the street illegally doesn't somehow constitute or excuse officers from choke-holding someone to death...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 10:00:17 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:53:14 PM, imabench wrote:

If I was uninformed, then I wouldn't have researched online articles referencing Obama and police.

There are plenty of articles that explain how police officers (like the ones in Boston) feel they are not getting the support they need from the White House.

The numbers, from the articles I've read don't prove their is a "pandemic" of police brutality against minorities.

You should try looking at sources other than what Fox News tries to shove down people's throats.... Hispanics and blacks are proportionally far more likely to experience police brutality than white people...

Yes it exists, and is wrong, but how come most of the time when these types of issues come up, the fact that the law was being broken in some form or fashion is not brought up?

Selling cigarettes on the street illegally doesn't somehow constitute or excuse officers from choke-holding someone to death...

http://www.bostonherald.com...

just one article from the Boston Herald.com, I googled Obama and police, plenty of articles come back regarding police support and Obama (Baltimore, another example), anyway gotta head home from work. try to follow up tomorrom
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 10:42:31 PM
At 9/9/2015 10:00:17 PM, Todd0611 wrote:

A cop saying that Obama doesn't support the police does not mean its true, especially since Obama has, which you have yet to acknowledge, sent high ranking officials to the funerals of cops who were killed while on duty.

I googled Obama and police, plenty of articles come back regarding police support and Obama (Baltimore, another example)

Each one recycles the same garbage they hear from each other. Thats how conservatively biased news sources work...

Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:57:26 PM
At 9/9/2015 10:42:31 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/9/2015 10:00:17 PM, Todd0611 wrote:

A cop saying that Obama doesn't support the police does not mean its true, especially since Obama has, which you have yet to acknowledge, sent high ranking officials to the funerals of cops who were killed while on duty.

I googled Obama and police, plenty of articles come back regarding police support and Obama (Baltimore, another example)

Each one recycles the same garbage they hear from each other. Thats how conservatively biased news sources work...

You're absolutely correct that Obama has sent high profile people to pay their respects. Here's another news story, about a piece that was on a CNN show (which from what I understand isn't considered conservative media), about problems the police have with support from the Justice department:
http://newsbusters.org...

I haven't once referenced fox news, espn, and cnn (not conservative) are the 2 most frequent sites I visit, and I haven't seen any stories about people selling smokes on the street and getting choked for it. Since I'm in Houston, most of the stuff I read comes from the Chronicle (which leans more liberal than conservative).

My issue is that it seems that in some of these situations, people overlook what the victim was doing (i.e. breaking the law), and they focus more on what the cops "should have" done. IDK, maybe it's poor training (the way the police are handling violent situations involving minorities), but it's hard to make a judgment call about a situation like the one in Ferguson, where the cop killed someone because he thought his life was in danger. Grand jury didn't find evidence to convict the cop of a crime (IDK why, maybe jury was prejudice, or maybe it was a justified shooting).

I live in Houston, and have family that are police and detectives, so I am kind of bias towards supporting law enforcement. I would agree that minorities sometimes receive worse treatment than whites, but I've seen plenty of cops doing their job involving anyone (white, black, Hispanic) respectfully.

Anyway, on a side note, looked at your profile and noticed you go to the "U". I grew up in the 80's as a teen loving the Canes. Vinny, Irvin, Sapp were fun to watch. Being in Houston, it was great to have Andre Johnson playing for the Texans. It's been quite a while since Miami's been back on top, but hopefully you've seen some games live at the stadium, it's an awesome environment.