Jump to topic:

Ted Cruz Should Be the 2016 GOP Nominee

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:21:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The case for Ted Cruz is mounting. I've been for Cruz since his upset Senate victory in 2012, but he is now the most viable, as well as principled, candidate in the entire race.

Ted Cruz is a Princeton / Harvard University Magna Cum Laude Honors graduate, worldwide debate champion, Supreme Court litigator, Solicitor General, Chief Justice law clerk, joint professor, and U.S. Senator.

He is overqualified for the position. He has multiple key Supreme Court victories under his belt, most notably his victory against George Bush and the World Court when they tried to destroy U.S. sovereignty and absorb America into U.N. world government. As Solicitor General, chief lawyer of Texas, he singlehandedly saved the U.S. from dissolution.

His campaign is precisely where it needs to be, at a healthy steady pace gradually sweeping key endorsements across the country and has surpassed all others in fundraising. Discarding the Bush-network funds, Cruz has been amassing more funds from grassroots and donors than anyone.

Unlike Trump, Cruz cannot be tripped up by foreign policy quizzes, he actually does know the names of all the players better than Fiorina or Trump (see Hugh Hewitt interviews).

You might be thinking, "hey I thought you were for Donald just last month." No I said he was a top tier candidate and even in my OP I said tied for my first picks are Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.

After seeing how everything has panned out after the debate and deep into the campaign, Rand and Trump have stumbled and faultered, Ted Cruz has remained flawless and impossible to stump. He was the nation's top debater by age 24 for a reason.

Ted Cruz may make it all the way to the White House.

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

http://www.youngcons.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 9:29:40 PM
At 9/10/2015 5:21:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The case for Ted Cruz is mounting. I've been for Cruz since his upset Senate victory in 2012, but he is now the most viable, as well as principled, candidate in the entire race.

Ted Cruz is a Princeton / Harvard University Magna Cum Laude Honors graduate, worldwide debate champion, Supreme Court litigator, Solicitor General, Chief Justice law clerk, joint professor, and U.S. Senator.

He is overqualified for the position. He has multiple key Supreme Court victories under his belt, most notably his victory against George Bush and the World Court when they tried to destroy U.S. sovereignty and absorb America into U.N. world government. As Solicitor General, chief lawyer of Texas, he singlehandedly saved the U.S. from dissolution.

His campaign is precisely where it needs to be, at a healthy steady pace gradually sweeping key endorsements across the country and has surpassed all others in fundraising. Discarding the Bush-network funds, Cruz has been amassing more funds from grassroots and donors than anyone.

Unlike Trump, Cruz cannot be tripped up by foreign policy quizzes, he actually does know the names of all the players better than Fiorina or Trump (see Hugh Hewitt interviews).

You might be thinking, "hey I thought you were for Donald just last month." No I said he was a top tier candidate and even in my OP I said tied for my first picks are Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.

After seeing how everything has panned out after the debate and deep into the campaign, Rand and Trump have stumbled and faultered, Ted Cruz has remained flawless and impossible to stump. He was the nation's top debater by age 24 for a reason.

Ted Cruz may make it all the way to the White House.

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

http://www.youngcons.com...

Never will happen. He is creepy and oozes desperation. They love him in TX though.

I am curious to know how he single handedly save the US from dissolution. I'm calling BS on that as what ever it refers too would have not resulted in the collapse of the USA.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 9:41:21 PM
Two things.

First, Ted Cruz is a partisan. He resorts to devilish tactics such as name-calling, shutting down the government, and using wild hyperbole. He hasn't issued something monumental like a budget proposal, immigration legislation, health care reform, etc. He just is furthering the political dysfunction in Washington D.C.

Second, Ted Cruz has only been a senator for four years. So, Ted Cruz would pretty much have the same level of experience as Obama when he was inaugurated.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 10:07:51 PM
At 9/10/2015 9:29:40 PM, slo1 wrote:
Never will happen. He is creepy and oozes desperation. They love him in TX though.

Nonsense. He's smooth, precise, articulate, successful, good looking, and has a nice family.

I am curious to know how he single handedly save the US from dissolution. I'm calling BS on that as what ever it refers too would have not resulted in the collapse of the USA.

"During Ted's service as Solicitor General, Texas achieved an unprecedented series of landmark national victories, including successfully defending U.S. sovereignty against the UN and the World Court"

https://www.fed-soc.org...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 10:24:47 PM
At 9/10/2015 9:41:21 PM, Contra wrote:
First, Ted Cruz is a partisan.

Is that why he combats Republicans more than anybody else? He bucks his own party and blames Democrats and Republicans for getting us into the mess we're in.

He resorts to devilish tactics such as name-calling, shutting down the government, and using wild hyperbole.

He does not engage in name-calling, in fact he has some of the most proper decorum and engages skilfully according to his debate expertise. The only thing you could point to perhaps is when he called Mitch McConnell a liar, which was a statement of fact, not a personal insult or smear. McConnell literally lied to his face and Ted Cruz recorded that fact.

He 'shut down the government,' actually no he didn't, but what he did was awesome. It was in fact Boehner and Obama who allowed the government to shutdown (80% of the government was still running, only non-vital, non-essential operations were shutdown). Ted Cruz simply urged Boehner to use his Constitutional power of the purse to pass a budget that excludes Obamacare. The House has full discretionary power over spending.

There's nothing wrong with hyperbole but I don't believe Cruz has ever engaged in excessive hyperbole.

He hasn't issued something monumental like a budget proposal, immigration legislation, health care reform, etc. He just is furthering the political dysfunction in Washington D.C.

I believe it was Calvin Coolidge who said greatness shouldn't be judged by how many good laws you pass but by how many bad laws you stop. Ted Cruz has been amazing at fulfilling his Senate duty to put bills through the shredder and gridlock the legislative process. The Founders specifically created the Senate to be obstructive, to slow the flow of bill passing, and constrain government. That's why they gave the Senate the filibuster.

Second, Ted Cruz has only been a senator for four years. So, Ted Cruz would pretty much have the same level of experience as Obama when he was inaugurated.

I forgot the part where Obama was a Solicitor General, Chief Justice law clerk, and Supreme Court litigator.

Plus, Obama isn't bad because he lacks experience, he's bad because of his agenda. And when Obama was in the Senate, he was inactive and barely voted. Ted Cruz' freshman Senate record kills Obama's freshman Senate record.

You have Rubio in your sig, a freshman Senator with not many accomplishments and is an absentee Senator who barely votes.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 10:48:33 PM
At 9/10/2015 10:24:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
He hasn't issued something monumental like a budget proposal, immigration legislation, health care reform, etc. He just is furthering the political dysfunction in Washington D.C.

I believe it was Calvin Coolidge who said greatness shouldn't be judged by how many good laws you pass but by how many bad laws you stop. Ted Cruz has been amazing at fulfilling his Senate duty to put bills through the shredder and gridlock the legislative process. The Founders specifically created the Senate to be obstructive, to slow the flow of bill passing, and constrain government. That's why they gave the Senate the filibuster.

It's based on procedural rules, so the Senate gave the Senate the filibuster, the Senate can take away the filibuster whenever it pleases, and it wasn't even utilized until the 19th century. I don't see what the founders had to do with it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 10:59:56 PM
I'd vote for my cat before I'd vote for Cruz. I'd vote for my fish. Hell, I'd even vote for Donald Trump. He's a populist hack who pays lip service to constitution while appeasing the brain-dead masses who obviously haven't read it. His plan to defeat ISIS is just about the stupidest thing that I've ever heard. I don't want a president who rejects the advice of his generals in order to carry out some ridiculous redneck wet dream with disastrous long-term consequences. That sounds familiar, almost like the idiocy that caused the power vacuum which the IS now occupies in the first place. And he makes casual use of the 'word' 'ain't'.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 11:01:25 PM
At 9/10/2015 10:48:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
It's based on procedural rules, so the Senate gave the Senate the filibuster, the Senate can take away the filibuster whenever it pleases, and it wasn't even utilized until the 19th century. I don't see what the founders had to do with it.

The filibuster was just an example. The whole point is that the Senate is the nation's most deliberative body and it is meant to stop legislation run amok.

"According to the Senate's official history, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison saw the Senate as 'the great anchor' of the government that would cool the passions of the House of Representatives. George Washington is said to have told Jefferson that the framers had created the Senate to 'cool' House legislation just as a saucer was used to cool hot tea.'[3]

Rule 22 helps to realize this intent by putting the question of ending debate to the whole Senate and requiring the agreement of three-fifths (60) of Senators to end debate."

http://www.heritage.org...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 1:58:54 AM
First, Ted Cruz is a partisan.

Is that why he combats Republicans more than anybody else? He bucks his own party and blames Democrats and Republicans for getting us into the mess we're in.

He resorts to devilish tactics such as name-calling, shutting down the government, and using wild hyperbole.

He does not engage in name-calling, in fact he has some of the most proper decorum and engages skilfully according to his debate expertise. The only thing you could point to perhaps is when he called Mitch McConnell a liar, which was a statement of fact, not a personal insult or smear. McConnell literally lied to his face and Ted Cruz recorded that fact.

That was what I was referencing... and I'm not that familiar with the situation so I can't say with certainty whether it was or wasn't merited.

He 'shut down the government,' actually no he didn't, but what he did was awesome. It was in fact Boehner and Obama who allowed the government to shutdown (80% of the government was still running, only non-vital, non-essential operations were shutdown). Ted Cruz simply urged Boehner to use his Constitutional power of the purse to pass a budget that excludes Obamacare. The House has full discretionary power over spending.

I was talking in particular about the shutdown in 2013, when the House tried to defund Obamacare. I think the shutdown was imprudent... not only did it undermine the public's support for the Republican Party (which I think is the best avenue to advance liberty), but it cut off services without any warning.

Loans went unprocessed, national parks were closed, and about half of federal employees were furloughed. I agree that priorities such as moving college financing to the private sector is favorable, but it needs to be implemented in a way that allows people to adjust to the changes in the system... if we abruptly uproot millions of Americans who have built their lives on the status quo we will inflict incredible -- and unnecessary -- pain for a huge portion of our population. It needs to be done responsibly, if that is the goal at all.

There's nothing wrong with hyperbole but I don't believe Cruz has ever engaged in excessive hyperbole.

The filibuster is not in the Constitution. The Constitution simply allows the two houses of Congress to set up their own legislative rules.

And blocking bad bills is important yes, but America will not be able to fulfill its potential unless we pass meaningful and positive legislation -- which is something I haven't seen Ted Cruz be a large advocate of.

I forgot the part where Obama was a Solicitor General, Chief Justice law clerk, and Supreme Court litigator.

Those experiences are valuable yes, but I don't know if it measures up to the level of the presidency.

Plus, Obama isn't bad because he lacks experience, he's bad because of his agenda. And when Obama was in the Senate, he was inactive and barely voted. Ted Cruz' freshman Senate record kills Obama's freshman Senate record.

You have Rubio in your sig, a freshman Senator with not many accomplishments and is an absentee Senator who barely votes.

His tenure as the Florida Speaker of the House is experience that is meaningful to myself. Besides this I suppose he doesn't have much more experience compared to Cruz, but Rubio seems more willing to put forward meaningful ideas. I mean take the Rubio-Lee tax proposal, the immigration reform proposal, or his legislation on 'income share agreements'.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 10:38:49 PM
At 9/11/2015 1:58:54 AM, Contra wrote:

I was talking in particular about the shutdown in 2013, when the House tried to defund Obamacare.

Um yea, that's exactly what I was describing.

I think the shutdown was imprudent... not only did it undermine the public's support for the Republican Party

It hurt them so much that the GOP won a landslide midterm in 2014? Please. Libertarians cheered for the shutdown and everyone else forgot because it had no negative effects.

but it cut off services without any warning.

Oh boo hoo, non-essential functions were shutdown. Are you for small government or not? By the way, Cruz led the effort to fund the vital functions of the government during the shutdown but the Democrats blocked them all.

Loans went unprocessed, national parks were closed, and about half of federal employees were furloughed. ... if we abruptly uproot millions of Americans who have built their lives on the status quo we will inflict incredible -- and unnecessary -- pain for a huge portion of our population.

Nonsense. Much of that stuff was Obama being petulant by trying to indict as much harm as possible to blame GOP for devastating shutdown. The fact is, everyone got backpay, so basically they got paid vacations. The shutdown hurt no one. If you think shutting down 20% of the Federal government is a bad thing, you don't believe in small government.

And blocking bad bills is important yes, but America will not be able to fulfill its potential unless we pass meaningful and positive legislation -- which is something I haven't seen Ted Cruz be a large advocate of.

You're simply wrong. Ted Cruz has co-sponsored and pushed many significant pieces of legislation including the Grassley-Cruz bill, the USA Freedom Act, the Nuclear Iran Review Act, the military sexual assault legislation, etc. He also has the best proposed alternative to Obamacare, his stance to abolish the IRS is one of the boldest solutions I've ever seen.

Those experiences are valuable yes, but I don't know if it measures up to the level of the presidency.

More experience than Obama and Rubio. But experience is not a key factor. Hitler had a lot of experience.

Rubio seems more willing to put forward meaningful ideas. I mean take the Rubio-Lee tax proposal, the immigration reform proposal, or his legislation on 'income share agreements'.

Marco Rubio supports government subsidies, NSA spying, he supported arming the "Syrian rebels" which became ISIS, and he wants to blow up the entire world including the ocean and outer space. He has his allegiance to the globalist CFR and he promised them he will blow up the world.

"As president, I will use American power to oppose any violations of international waters, airspace, cyberspace, or outer space. This includes the economic disruption caused when one country invades another, as well as the chaos caused by disruptions in chokepoints"

-- Marco Rubio

http://www.cfr.org...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Fudge_Packer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 12:18:37 AM
Cruz is just another big government neo-con. We need ANOTHER one of those like we need a hole in the head.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 12:40:02 AM
At 9/12/2015 12:18:37 AM, Fudge_Packer wrote:
Cruz is just another big government neo-con. We need ANOTHER one of those like we need a hole in the head.

Ted Cruz wants to abolish the IRS, stop NSA spying, abolish the Dept of Education, audit the Federal Reserve, and drastically reduce taxes and spending. Ted Cruz is a Constitutionalist states-righter for limited government.

You don't even know what a neocon is. All the neocons hate Cruz. Neocon Peter King said he would jump off a bridge and commit suicide if Ted Cruz is the nominee. Neocon Graham joined the race to stop Cruz and his foreign policy. The CFR neocons don't like Cruz. McCain doesn't like Cruz. How is he a neocon?

Ted Cruz says we should be reluctant to use military force, he said it was a mistake to invade Iraq, we stayed too long, we shouldn't engage in nation-building or spreading democracy. Cruz was against the war in Syria and Libya. He was against arming the Syrian rebels much to the chagrin of neocons.

https://www.tedcruz.org...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 5:02:32 PM
At 9/10/2015 10:07:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/10/2015 9:29:40 PM, slo1 wrote:

Nonsense. He's smooth, precise, articulate, successful, good looking, and has a nice family.

"During Ted's service as Solicitor General, Texas achieved an unprecedented series of landmark national victories, including successfully defending U.S. sovereignty against the UN and the World Court"

https://www.fed-soc.org...

It is funny how two people can read the same thing and come to very different conclusions.

1. His involvement in Madeline v Texas.
You: He single handedly saved the union.
Me: while the right outcome hardly can classify it as saving the union. You must have an opinion that the US is delicate and held together by twine and duct tape if you think the Supreme Court ruled opposite would have destroyed the country.

2. He washed dishes for 50 cents an hour, paid his way through the University of Texas:
You: His father through hard work made the american dream.
Me: Let's put him in that situation again and see if he can work through his way through college washing dishes without assistance from the government. Not going to happen.

3. The constitutionality of the Texas Ten Commandments monument:
You: Great man keeping the faith in government.
Me: Religous freak and lets see how well he does when the OK group trying to get a satan monument moves it sights to TX now that OK ruled that it is not legal for the state gov to put judeo/christian religious text in gov buildings.

4. The Texas congressional redistricting plan
You: great job keeping the republican party relevant.
Me: Gerrymandering

5. The constitutionality of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance;
You: Great man keeping the faith in governement.
Me: Waste of time and taxpayer money. Who gives a f with the exception of christians. I use money as a medium to exchange for goods and services not religious texts.

Anyway continue going on about ultra radical christian conservative Ted Cruz. As this continues, you will hear more and more people talk about how creepy he comes off. Arguing in front of the Supreme Court is not the same thing as trying to come off to the american people that you have their best interests in heart. He wants to clearly enact his ultra conservative Christian agenda and people will see that. He is not electable anywhere other than very conservative states such as TX.
Fudge_Packer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 11:02:13 PM
At 9/12/2015 12:40:02 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/12/2015 12:18:37 AM, Fudge_Packer wrote:

Ted Cruz wants to abolish the IRS, stop NSA spying, abolish the Dept of Education, audit the Federal Reserve, and drastically reduce taxes and spending. Ted Cruz is a Constitutionalist states-righter for limited government.

You don't even know what a neocon is. All the neocons hate Cruz. Neocon Peter King said he would jump off a bridge and commit suicide if Ted Cruz is the nominee. Neocon Graham joined the race to stop Cruz and his foreign policy. The CFR neocons don't like Cruz. McCain doesn't like Cruz. How is he a neocon?

Ted Cruz says we should be reluctant to use military force, he said it was a mistake to invade Iraq, we stayed too long, we shouldn't engage in nation-building or spreading democracy. Cruz was against the war in Syria and Libya. He was against arming the Syrian rebels much to the chagrin of neocons.

https://www.tedcruz.org...

"Limited government." LOL. Yeah, NOW he is against the Iraqi invasion. Sure is nice to jump on the bandwagon. No excuses, especially since that was the easiest of calls.

Reluctant to use military force? Sure, except when it comes to arming Ukraine or protecting his precious Israel.

What will a border fence do? There are actually fewer Mexicans coming in since around 2008. Half the illegals are overstays. Richard Stana of the DHS even acknowledged several years ago that the goal of border intervention is to apprehend only 30% of illegal activity. THIRTY PERCENT. Why? Because the border patrol spends its time and money on ineffective roadblocks 100 miles inside the border. They are not even at the border.

Even John McCain said, "Ted Cruz has gone out of his way to tell people how much he agrees with me on national security."

Check Ron Paul's voting record against that of Cruz. Beware of Trojan horses. Cruz is a classic neo-con.
Fudge_Packer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 11:24:18 PM

I think the shutdown was imprudent...

, his stance to abolish the IRS is one of the boldest solutions I've ever seen.

"Boldest solutions." Oh boy, he advocates something that he will never pursue. Easy to run one's mouth.

And "government shutdown?" LOL. The government churns along, growing bigger by the month. These "shutdowns" have been entertaining people for years. Cable TV makes a living off of people like you focusing on silly entertainment.

Cruz wastes his energy on preserving the word "God" in the pledge of allegiance. Sounds like a religious nut who does not understand separation of church and state. I'm sure the evangelicals love him.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 2:08:34 AM
I think that we need to be strategic and considerate of the fact that if we suddenly uproot the foundations of American life, we may very well fail to make meaningful progress. If we were to eliminate Social Security overnight, upwards of 50 million retirees would be furious and it would spell political death for small government advocates for a generation. However, if we transition into a system of personal retirement accounts, we can bolster our popularity while minimizing the damage done in the transition period.

I disagree with you on a lot of what you are saying about Ted Cruz, but I don't think we are going to change each other's mind, so I'll just agree to disagree with you Geo.

bobsndyer1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 4:42:04 AM
What's with those smiling pictures of Cruz? He looks like he's sitting on the toilet. He looks like he just relieved himself of some bad constipation.