Total Posts:85|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

43% of GOP could imagine supporting a coup

wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 6:04:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
43% of Republicans could imagine supporting a military coup in the United States.

29% of Americans could imagine a situation in which they would support the military seizing control of the federal government, while 41% could not imagine such a situation.

Republicans (43%) are more than twice as likely as Democrats (20%) to say that they could conceive of a situation in which they would support a military coup in the United States. Independents tend to say that they could not (38%) rather than could (29%) imagine supporting a coup.

https://today.yougov.com...
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 6:04:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The country is going insane. It's the best explanation for Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 6:06:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In other news, it seems that the public views the military as being by far the most "altruistic" in regards to championing the well-being of the country over themselves. Given that the current number of veterans in Congress is in an all-time low, it makes sense why Congress is so dysfunctional right now.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 6:09:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Republicans (43%) are more than twice as likely as Democrats (20%) to say that they could conceive of a situation in which they would support a military coup in the United States. Independents tend to say that they could not (38%) rather than could (29%) imagine supporting a coup.

https://today.yougov.com...

That is some seriously whacked sh1t right there.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 9:42:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This doesn't mean that the GOP dislikes America. Republicans and most Americans are sick of the fact that their federal government isn't working well, and they are therefore willing to resort to devastating tactics as such.

If we had a federal government that would issue comprehensive tax reform, immigration legislation, a balanced budget etc., people wouldn't feel this way.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
58539672
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 9:58:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 6:04:11 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
43% of Republicans could imagine supporting a military coup in the United States.

29% of Americans could imagine a situation in which they would support the military seizing control of the federal government, while 41% could not imagine such a situation.

Republicans (43%) are more than twice as likely as Democrats (20%) to say that they could conceive of a situation in which they would support a military coup in the United States. Independents tend to say that they could not (38%) rather than could (29%) imagine supporting a coup.

https://today.yougov.com...

Thats actually not that surprising. The American citizens have consistently had a positive opinion of our Armed Servicemen. 32 of the 44 US Presidents have served some time in the armed forces or one of the state militias, with all but one (James Buchanan) being an officer. And since the Republican party is more closely related and supportive of the military, it makes sense that the highest percentage of supporters for a coup would come from them.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 10:31:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 9:58:17 PM, 58539672 wrote:
At 9/10/2015 6:04:11 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
43% of Republicans could imagine supporting a military coup in the United States.

29% of Americans could imagine a situation in which they would support the military seizing control of the federal government, while 41% could not imagine such a situation.

Republicans (43%) are more than twice as likely as Democrats (20%) to say that they could conceive of a situation in which they would support a military coup in the United States. Independents tend to say that they could not (38%) rather than could (29%) imagine supporting a coup.

https://today.yougov.com...

Thats actually not that surprising. The American citizens have consistently had a positive opinion of our Armed Servicemen. 32 of the 44 US Presidents have served some time in the armed forces or one of the state militias, with all but one (James Buchanan) being an officer. And since the Republican party is more closely related and supportive of the military, it makes sense that the highest percentage of supporters for a coup would come from them.

Are you surprised by how high the percentage is?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 11:59:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 9:42:51 PM, Contra wrote:
This doesn't mean that the GOP dislikes America. Republicans and most Americans are sick of the fact that their federal government isn't working well, and they are therefore willing to resort to devastating tactics as such.

If we had a federal government that would issue comprehensive tax reform, immigration legislation, a balanced budget etc., people wouldn't feel this way.

So if the federal government do what you want, and you can't accomplish in a democratic way, you think it's OK to support a coup.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 11:59:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 11:59:04 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/10/2015 9:42:51 PM, Contra wrote:
This doesn't mean that the GOP dislikes America. Republicans and most Americans are sick of the fact that their federal government isn't working well, and they are therefore willing to resort to devastating tactics as such.

If we had a federal government that would issue comprehensive tax reform, immigration legislation, a balanced budget etc., people wouldn't feel this way.

So if the federal government doesn't do what you want, and you can't accomplish in a democratic way, you think it's OK to support a coup.
stargate
Posts: 506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 12:06:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It depends on who would do it and why. If it happened then it better be one hell of a reason. It all depends on who is doing it and what the nation is like before, during and after. But right now I honestly do not want a coup, this would bring chaos and civil war to our nation. It would make it so our enimies would grow stonger while we fight brother against brother, neighbor against neighbor, city against city, state against state.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 12:07:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 6:04:45 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
The country is going insane. It's the best explanation for Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders.

I don't know that it's insane. I think it would be more insane to say that you'd never ever support a coup, no matter how out of control or evil the government became.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 12:10:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 11:59:04 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/10/2015 9:42:51 PM, Contra wrote:
This doesn't mean that the GOP dislikes America. Republicans and most Americans are sick of the fact that their federal government isn't working well, and they are therefore willing to resort to devastating tactics as such.

If we had a federal government that would issue comprehensive tax reform, immigration legislation, a balanced budget etc., people wouldn't feel this way.

So if the federal government do what you want, and you can't accomplish in a democratic way, you think it's OK to support a coup.

The coup would be to return it to a democratic republic, not to actually support a military dictatorship. The Republicans already saved us from a military coup once (see Smedley Butler).
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 12:13:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 11:59:36 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/10/2015 11:59:04 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/10/2015 9:42:51 PM, Contra wrote:
This doesn't mean that the GOP dislikes America. Republicans and most Americans are sick of the fact that their federal government isn't working well, and they are therefore willing to resort to devastating tactics as such.

If we had a federal government that would issue comprehensive tax reform, immigration legislation, a balanced budget etc., people wouldn't feel this way.

So if the federal government doesn't do what you want, and you can't accomplish in a democratic way, you think it's OK to support a coup.

Of course not dude, you're twisting my words.

People are angry because the government seems inept. Sure conservatives would love it if it did some of the actions I described. But government as a whole is being ineffective, which is infuriating conservatives and liberals... but conservatives perhaps more because they don't have a figurehead in the Oval Office.

The government has shut down several times in the last several years. Student test scores have been flat for decades. Real unemployment is still around 10% (U6). Health care costs and the costs of higher education continue to spiral. These are all bipartisan concerns. And the fact that the government has been unable to do pretty much anything substantive is what leads people to support a coup... so that they could theoretically take their government back.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
58539672
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 4:08:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 10:31:20 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 9/10/2015 9:58:17 PM, 58539672 wrote:
At 9/10/2015 6:04:11 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
43% of Republicans could imagine supporting a military coup in the United States.

29% of Americans could imagine a situation in which they would support the military seizing control of the federal government, while 41% could not imagine such a situation.

Republicans (43%) are more than twice as likely as Democrats (20%) to say that they could conceive of a situation in which they would support a military coup in the United States. Independents tend to say that they could not (38%) rather than could (29%) imagine supporting a coup.

https://today.yougov.com...

Thats actually not that surprising. The American citizens have consistently had a positive opinion of our Armed Servicemen. 32 of the 44 US Presidents have served some time in the armed forces or one of the state militias, with all but one (James Buchanan) being an officer. And since the Republican party is more closely related and supportive of the military, it makes sense that the highest percentage of supporters for a coup would come from them.

Are you surprised by how high the percentage is?

Not particularly. As I said the military has always been popular, while popular opinion for politicians has varied wildly. Given that we just had one of the most inactive congresses in our history, it is not that surprising to see the supposed supporters of a military coup to go up as a result of all time low in political faith. I also say supposed because people will often say that they'd support a coup, but it is tough to tell if they would actually do such a thing. Its like the fight or flight response, you don't know which one you tend to go for until you are actually in the thick of it.
ax123man
Posts: 317
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 10:36:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The only way to think this information is insane is to believe the United States is exceptional, which itself is dangerous - just another form of nationalism. There's already been some pretty crazy political stuff in our history, including an attempted coup (controversial).
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 11:03:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 12:13:31 AM, Contra wrote:
At 9/10/2015 11:59:36 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/10/2015 11:59:04 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/10/2015 9:42:51 PM, Contra wrote:
This doesn't mean that the GOP dislikes America. Republicans and most Americans are sick of the fact that their federal government isn't working well, and they are therefore willing to resort to devastating tactics as such.

If we had a federal government that would issue comprehensive tax reform, immigration legislation, a balanced budget etc., people wouldn't feel this way.

So if the federal government doesn't do what you want, and you can't accomplish in a democratic way, you think it's OK to support a coup.

Of course not dude, you're twisting my words.

People are angry because the government seems inept. Sure conservatives would love it if it did some of the actions I described. But government as a whole is being ineffective, which is infuriating conservatives and liberals... but conservatives perhaps more because they don't have a figurehead in the Oval Office.

The government has shut down several times in the last several years. Student test scores have been flat for decades. Real unemployment is still around 10% (U6). Health care costs and the costs of higher education continue to spiral. These are all bipartisan concerns. And the fact that the government has been unable to do pretty much anything substantive is what leads people to support a coup... so that they could theoretically take their government back.

Can you explain how he's not twisting your words? Because IMHO TBR paraphrased your original comment pretty accurately, and what you said afterward didn't refute his point.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 11:04:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 12:11:17 AM, stargate wrote:
I honestly might depending on a few things.

I would too, but in normal circumstances would find it exceptionally difficult to even imagine occurring.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 3:16:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
When there is no way to compete with the crony lobbyists, and the assassination of one man does not change anything; when tyranny cannot be allowed to stand, the gun in the hands of the mob is the only answer.
JMcKinley
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 3:54:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The wording of the question is a bit misleading. Of course I could imagine a situation in which I would support a coup. I can imagine a great many things. It would be a great failure of your imagination if you literally could not imagine a situation in which you would support a coup.

Were this wording used in a test question that I got wrong, I would appeal it, and I would win.

Given the ambiguous nature of the question I don't think that any of these numbers are reliable.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 6:42:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 11:03:27 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Can you explain how he's not twisting your words? Because IMHO TBR paraphrased your original comment pretty accurately, and what you said afterward didn't refute his point.

The way TBR put it, I interpreted his words as saying "Contra would take a coup lightly and would be fine with it if the government 'doesn't do what you want'". This is not my opinion, I simply understand why people feel this way, although I don't necessarily support it, at least not yet.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
58539672
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 8:00:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Back in the 1933, their was a attempted coup to try and overthrow FDR and turn America into a fascist state. It was called the Business Plot and the plan was, with the backing of some of Americas wealthiest individuals, they would recruit retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler to lead an army of roughly 500,000 troops into Washington and assume the position of "Secretary of General Affairs", turning Roosevelt into a figure head. Butler instead broke off all communication with the businessmen and informed the United States House of Representatives Special Committee on Un-American Activities about the coup. In the end, the whole affair was stopped and now one was arrested. Interestingly enough, one of the many famous and wealthy individuals who took part in the plot was Prescott Bush, George H.W. Bushes father.
Red_Dirt
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 10:51:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 8:00:00 PM, 58539672 wrote:
Back in the 1933, their was a attempted coup to try and overthrow FDR and turn America into a fascist state. It was called the Business Plot and the plan was, with the backing of some of Americas wealthiest individuals, they would recruit retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler to lead an army of roughly 500,000 troops into Washington and assume the position of "Secretary of General Affairs", turning Roosevelt into a figure head. Butler instead broke off all communication with the businessmen and informed the United States House of Representatives Special Committee on Un-American Activities about the coup. In the end, the whole affair was stopped and now one was arrested. Interestingly enough, one of the many famous and wealthy individuals who took part in the plot was Prescott Bush, George H.W. Bushes father.

I have a suspicion this is one of those either blind side polls or a total fabricatioin intended to discredit that portion of the population that does not support either Clinton or Sanders. In time, the results of this poll will be entirely discredited. Still, it does make a point, which is, tell Americans anything, they will believe it.
58539672
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:16:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 10:51:50 PM, Red_Dirt wrote:
At 9/11/2015 8:00:00 PM, 58539672 wrote:
Back in the 1933, their was a attempted coup to try and overthrow FDR and turn America into a fascist state. It was called the Business Plot and the plan was, with the backing of some of Americas wealthiest individuals, they would recruit retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler to lead an army of roughly 500,000 troops into Washington and assume the position of "Secretary of General Affairs", turning Roosevelt into a figure head. Butler instead broke off all communication with the businessmen and informed the United States House of Representatives Special Committee on Un-American Activities about the coup. In the end, the whole affair was stopped and now one was arrested. Interestingly enough, one of the many famous and wealthy individuals who took part in the plot was Prescott Bush, George H.W. Bushes father.


I have a suspicion this is one of those either blind side polls or a total fabricatioin intended to discredit that portion of the population that does not support either Clinton or Sanders. In time, the results of this poll will be entirely discredited. Still, it does make a point, which is, tell Americans anything, they will believe it.

The Business Plot was a real event. It is well documented in a congressional hearing and even the most skeptical historians agree that it was planned. Whether it was close to execution or not is the only part that is still being debated. And of the several accused members of the plot, Mr. Bush was a suspected correspondent. Not liking history does not make it untrue.
Red_Dirt
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:29:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 8:00:00 PM, 58539672 wrote:
The Business Plot was a real event. It is well documented in a congressional hearing and even the most skeptical historians agree that it was planned. Whether it was close to execution or not is the only part that is still being debated. And of the several accused members of the plot, Mr. Bush was a suspected correspondent. Not liking history does not make it untrue.

Oh, OK. Sorry about that. I'm just getting used to this quote function and finding it a little cumbersome at first. The post I mean to respond to had to do with a post that claimed 43% of the GOP could imagine supporting a coup. The Bush, I know very little about, except that they are likely grand deceivers. Never did like them.

As far as the poll goes, that was what my remarks were directed at. Honest mistake. Save the snide remarks. Your post cited an irrelevant footnote in history. Aaron Burr contemplated a coup, also. So what?

My comment:

This poll is in the process of being exposed as a hoax, a campaign trick aimed at the gullible. Never should have been posted. The original poll reported, "35% of Republicans favor military coup." Now, who do you suppose might have cooked that one up? I might suggest clicking the source, or secondary, links, before posting stuff like this. Yes, it is known that the main stream media drags out all the pro nazi content from time to time. Always has an eager audience.

https://today.yougov.com...

29% of Americans could imagine a situation in which they would support the military seizing control of the federal government, while 41% could not imagine such a situation. Republicans (43%) are more than twice as likely as Democrats (20%) to say that they could conceive of a situation in which they would support a military coup in the United States. Independents tend to say that they could not (38%) rather than could (29%) imagine supporting a coup.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 7:10:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 6:04:45 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
The country is going insane. It's the best explanation for Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders.

I'm so tired of seeing these guys casually lumped together like this. And it's not just because I'm a 22 year old Bernie Sanders supporter.

Rather, it's because the circumstances propelling these two men into the political limelight are like apples and oranges. Trump is a persona; he garners support more based on his attitudes than his worldview or policy proposals. His appeal to many Republican voters, maybe as many as 30% now, is that he's "not like those politicians in Washington" and his obnoxiousness represents the repressed rage of the Republican party's fringe lunatic base.

Why is the rise of Bernie Sanders a completely different story? Because he's talking about policy proposals which are mostly supported by a broad plurality of Americans. Trump appeals to a substantial minority within an increasingly fringe political party. His views are out of touch with the vast majority of Americans, and the Republican National Party knows that if Trump is the nominee, the Democrats will have a field day. Most Americans disagree with his comments on immigration and are largely turned off by his infamous "rapists and murderers" comment about illegal immigrants.

But look at Sanders' policy proposals. Over 60% of Americans support increasing the minimum wage. Even higher numbers agree that our campaign finance system is corrupted by Big Money; i.e. a majority of Americans disagree with the logic behind Citizens' United and the "money as speech" role it played in American politics. (I can show you polls for any given issue if you want, but right now I'm too lazy.) Most Americans also feel the wealthy don't pay enough money in taxes. There you've already got 3 of Bernie Sanders' most prominent talking points, and most Americans are in line with them. With Trump, he gets support because of his bombastic personality; Sanders gets support in spite of his old and cranky personality because of his frank analysis of wealth inequality and the role of money in politics.

Everyone, please stop comparing Bernie and the Donald as part of the same anti-establishment radical political phenomenon. It's extremely misleading because one candidate is truly fringe and one candidate is talking stuff most Americans support. And just because most Americans won't identify as socialists doesn't mean they won't support "socialist"-like policies (like preserving Social Security, more progressive taxation and raising the minimum wage). That's been true here since the reign of FDR.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:39:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/15/2015 1:29:55 AM, Red_Dirt wrote:

My comment:

This poll is in the process of being exposed as a hoax, a campaign trick aimed at the gullible. Never should have been posted. The original poll reported, "35% of Republicans favor military coup."

So, you contest the evidence, and you think your lack of evidence would be more convincing?

Now, who do you suppose might have cooked that one up? I might suggest clicking the source, or secondary, links, before posting stuff like this. Yes, it is known that the main stream media drags out all the pro nazi content from time to time. Always has an eager audience.

It was a direct quote from the source.

https://today.yougov.com...

29% of Americans could imagine a situation in which they would support the military seizing control of the federal government, while 41% could not imagine such a situation. Republicans (43%) are more than twice as likely as Democrats (20%) to say that they could conceive of a situation in which they would support a military coup in the United States. Independents tend to say that they could not (38%) rather than could (29%) imagine supporting a coup.


All corroborates what I said.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:44:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/15/2015 7:10:40 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 9/10/2015 6:04:45 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
The country is going insane. It's the best explanation for Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders.

I'm so tired of seeing these guys casually lumped together like this. And it's not just because I'm a 22 year old Bernie Sanders supporter.

Rather, it's because the circumstances propelling these two men into the political limelight are like apples and oranges. Trump is a persona; he garners support more based on his attitudes than his worldview or policy proposals. His appeal to many Republican voters, maybe as many as 30% now, is that he's "not like those politicians in Washington" and his obnoxiousness represents the repressed rage of the Republican party's fringe lunatic base.

Why is the rise of Bernie Sanders a completely different story? Because he's talking about policy proposals which are mostly supported by a broad plurality of Americans. Trump appeals to a substantial minority within an increasingly fringe political party. His views are out of touch with the vast majority of Americans, and the Republican National Party knows that if Trump is the nominee, the Democrats will have a field day. Most Americans disagree with his comments on immigration and are largely turned off by his infamous "rapists and murderers" comment about illegal immigrants.

I think you are mischaracterizing the Trump campaign. He says anything that commands an audience. That's why he's supported ultra-liberal positions in the past, and is why he supports "fringe" right positions now.

Sanders is the definition of "fringe". A self-declared socialist calling for "revolution" and railing against the establishment.

But look at Sanders' policy proposals. Over 60% of Americans support increasing the minimum wage. Even higher numbers agree that our campaign finance system is corrupted by Big Money; i.e. a majority of Americans disagree with the logic behind Citizens' United and the "money as speech" role it played in American politics. (I can show you polls for any given issue if you want, but right now I'm too lazy.) Most Americans also feel the wealthy don't pay enough money in taxes. There you've already got 3 of Bernie Sanders' most prominent talking points, and most Americans are in line with them. With Trump, he gets support because of his bombastic personality; Sanders gets support in spite of his old and cranky personality because of his frank analysis of wealth inequality and the role of money in politics.

1) Trump also supports campaign finance reform.
2) Trump also supports taxing the rich.

Right there you got 2 out of three of your pillars of Sanders's platform being the same for Trump.

Everyone, please stop comparing Bernie and the Donald as part of the same anti-establishment radical political phenomenon. It's extremely misleading because one candidate is truly fringe and one candidate is talking stuff most Americans support.

But, they are the same. Both are fringe and both are taking a populist stance that many Americans support.

And just because most Americans won't identify as socialists doesn't mean they won't support "socialist"-like policies (like preserving Social Security, more progressive taxation and raising the minimum wage). That's been true here since the reign of FDR.

lol, Trump is also for NOT cutting Social Security. You say all these "bad things" about Trump and how he differs from Sanders, but in reality you're simply just not aware of the positions that Trump has been advocating.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:47:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 8:00:00 PM, 58539672 wrote:
Back in the 1933, their was a attempted coup to try and overthrow FDR and turn America into a fascist state. It was called the Business Plot and the plan was, with the backing of some of Americas wealthiest individuals, they would recruit retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler to lead an army of roughly 500,000 troops into Washington and assume the position of "Secretary of General Affairs", turning Roosevelt into a figure head. Butler instead broke off all communication with the businessmen and informed the United States House of Representatives Special Committee on Un-American Activities about the coup. In the end, the whole affair was stopped and now one was arrested. Interestingly enough, one of the many famous and wealthy individuals who took part in the plot was Prescott Bush, George H.W. Bushes father.

Very nice history lesson. IMHO, given that Trump is in this to win and that losing is not going to be an option for him, I would not be at all surprised if, when all is said and done, that he may try to pull something like this off in the foreseeable future.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:49:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 3:54:52 PM, JMcKinley wrote:
The wording of the question is a bit misleading. Of course I could imagine a situation in which I would support a coup. I can imagine a great many things. It would be a great failure of your imagination if you literally could not imagine a situation in which you would support a coup.

Were this wording used in a test question that I got wrong, I would appeal it, and I would win.

Given the ambiguous nature of the question I don't think that any of these numbers are reliable.

There are several ways one can interpret the significance of the poll.

1) Perhaps it's significant that people can imagine this kind of scenario right now...it would be interesting comparing it to better times to see if such results differ.

2) If there are no surveys from better times, perhaps that in itself is a statement about how "unimaginable" the question is when times are good.

Bottom line, they asked the question and got an interesting result.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?