Why Ben Carson will win the GOP nomination

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 1:45:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Ah, Ben Carson...
For several months my dad has been stating that Ben Carson is his favorite candidate and that the man will be our next president, or at least win the nomination. I did not believe him; Ben Carson has virtually no political experience. And it looked to everyone like Trump was going to get the nomination.
But now my perspective has changed. Here's why I think that Ben Carson will win the GOP nomination:

Ben Carson comes from a poor background, he worked hard, and he became a neurosurgeon. This version of the man's background is the one that most Americans buy into, and it's probably true. He embodies the Conservative ideal American, one who is successful if only he works and studies hard and who honors God. He did it with a fairly minimal amount of government assistance.
He is a very convenient tool for conservatives to use. He's black, so a lot of black criticism directed towards him could fail miserably. They can't call him a racist. If he says to blacks that they need to work harder instead of mooching off welfare, he can respond to any objection by pointing to himself and saying "I did it!" And of course, they'll be a bit more inclined to believe him than if a white man told them that. At the same time he stands with the black community on the Blacklivesmatter thingy, so whenever another white cop defends himse... *ahem* I mean, uh, shoots an unarmed black man, he can tell blacks what they want to hear and boost his popularity with them, while at the same time not being offensive enough towards whites on the issue to repulse the white base. Also, whenever Dems accuse the GOP of racism they can't point to the fact that they nominated Ben Carson and go "No we're not! See?"
He obviously has the potential to appeal massively to the Evangelical base (Trump should be about as appealing to Evangelicals as much as a dirty sock), while at the same time he appears to be more like a normal person who happens to be an Evangelical Christian in contrast to a person who advocates theocracy. Like a person who would simply carry out the duties of President and give glory to God for his successes. Thus, his religious views probably aren't very repulsive to more moderate Republicans (except for his belief in Creationism; this'll probably come back to bite him hard).
He is a fairly not rude individual, so he won't turn Americans off by being an @$$hole like Trump is. Like Trump he is really straightforward and a Washington outsider. Also, he currently isn't the main GOP target for elimination. He's safe from his own party turning against him, whereas Trump's gonna get wiped out eventually. He also avoids advocating the deportation of all 11 million illegals, so there's probably not going to be a large Mexican mob showing up on election day voting against him in a solid monolithic bloc, unlike Trump.

All we need to do is wait for Trump to get wiped out and Ben Carson will fill the vacuum. He already has 19% of the GOP on his side. The only things which can stop him are if he drops out of the race, dies, or gets involved in some kind of major scandal (a sex scandal would be absolutely devastating to him).
I'm not saying that he'll win the election though.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 1:57:08 AM
At 9/11/2015 1:45:19 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Ah, Ben Carson...
For several months my dad has been stating that Ben Carson is his favorite candidate and that the man will be our next president, or at least win the nomination. I did not believe him; Ben Carson has virtually no political experience. And it looked to everyone like Trump was going to get the nomination.
But now my perspective has changed. Here's why I think that Ben Carson will win the GOP nomination:

Ben Carson comes from a poor background, he worked hard, and he became a neurosurgeon. This version of the man's background is the one that most Americans buy into, and it's probably true. He embodies the Conservative ideal American, one who is successful if only he works and studies hard and who honors God. He did it with a fairly minimal amount of government assistance.
He is a very convenient tool for conservatives to use. He's black, so a lot of black criticism directed towards him could fail miserably. They can't call him a racist. If he says to blacks that they need to work harder instead of mooching off welfare, he can respond to any objection by pointing to himself and saying "I did it!" And of course, they'll be a bit more inclined to believe him than if a white man told them that. At the same time he stands with the black community on the Blacklivesmatter thingy, so whenever another white cop defends himse... *ahem* I mean, uh, shoots an unarmed black man, he can tell blacks what they want to hear and boost his popularity with them, while at the same time not being offensive enough towards whites on the issue to repulse the white base. Also, whenever Dems accuse the GOP of racism they can't point to the fact that they nominated Ben Carson and go "No we're not! See?"
He obviously has the potential to appeal massively to the Evangelical base (Trump should be about as appealing to Evangelicals as much as a dirty sock), while at the same time he appears to be more like a normal person who happens to be an Evangelical Christian in contrast to a person who advocates theocracy. Like a person who would simply carry out the duties of President and give glory to God for his successes. Thus, his religious views probably aren't very repulsive to more moderate Republicans (except for his belief in Creationism; this'll probably come back to bite him hard).
He is a fairly not rude individual, so he won't turn Americans off by being an @$$hole like Trump is. Like Trump he is really straightforward and a Washington outsider. Also, he currently isn't the main GOP target for elimination. He's safe from his own party turning against him, whereas Trump's gonna get wiped out eventually. He also avoids advocating the deportation of all 11 million illegals, so there's probably not going to be a large Mexican mob showing up on election day voting against him in a solid monolithic bloc, unlike Trump.

All we need to do is wait for Trump to get wiped out and Ben Carson will fill the vacuum. He already has 19% of the GOP on his side. The only things which can stop him are if he drops out of the race, dies, or gets involved in some kind of major scandal (a sex scandal would be absolutely devastating to him).

Would be nice, but the GOP nomination isn't enough. needs to win the presidency. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 5:57:12 PM
The dems could run a cabbage patch doll and it would still beat Carson in the general election. The GOP only has three candidates capable of winning next November: Bush, Rubio, and Kasich. Trump might be able to win, but only if he completely stopped insulting minorities before September and the public had time to try to forget about all the horrible things he has said. All of the other candidates are too extreme in too many of their views to appeal enough to non-primary voters.

So keep on pushing for Carson. Give Clinton or Sanders that landslide victory next year.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 6:28:23 PM
At 9/11/2015 5:57:12 PM, Burzmali wrote:
The dems could run a cabbage patch doll and it would still beat Carson in the general election. The GOP only has three candidates capable of winning next November: Bush, Rubio, and Kasich. Trump might be able to win, but only if he completely stopped insulting minorities before September and the public had time to try to forget about all the horrible things he has said. All of the other candidates are too extreme in too many of their views to appeal enough to non-primary voters.

So keep on pushing for Carson. Give Clinton or Sanders that landslide victory next year.

I agree with this assessment.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 10:12:37 PM
I like Ben Carson but he doesn't understand the Constitution good enough and his answer to questions on Syria are horrific.

It was painful to watch his answer at the Fox debate when asked whether we should have invaded Syria or not.

He couldn't give an answer but he spent a whole minute explaining why we need a strong military and basically gave the impression that if Obama had a strong enough military he could have invaded Syria and kill Assad.

Ben will get stumped by too many questions he is incapable of answering. The only candidate who can't be stumped is Ted Cruz!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 12:20:28 AM
Ah, Ben Carson...

I obviously disagree with this but it's certainly interesting to hear.
Tsar of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 12:28:13 AM

I think that Christie could be electable too, and maybe walker. But the rest probably wouldn't win--you are correct.

Fiorina could also win, but being inexperienced is a big negative.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 12:38:40 AM

I agree to a certain extant, ultimately I think that Jeb Bush has the best chance of winning and if he keeps his hands out of gay marriage and abortion, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with him either.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 1:03:08 AM
I've also got this really weird feeling that Ben Carson is going to end up in some huge sex scandal before Election Day.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 2:10:42 AM
At 9/13/2015 12:28:13 AM, 16kadams wrote:

I think that Christie could be electable too, and maybe walker. But the rest probably wouldn't win--you are correct.

Would we really want Walker though...

"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 2:35:46 AM
At 9/13/2015 2:10:42 AM, Contra wrote:

Not really
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 7:31:17 AM
The dems could run a cabbage patch doll and it would still beat Carson in the general election. The GOP only has three candidates capable of winning next November: Bush, Rubio, and Kasich.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 1:04:16 AM
At 9/13/2015 2:35:46 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Not really

Yeah that's my current sentiment. Namely because of his position (whatever it may be) on immigration (http://www.redstate.com...), his claim that, "I Don't Know' If People Are Born Gay Or If It's A Choice" (http://www.huffingtonpost.com...) and his discussion about building a wall along the Canadian border.

I could be wrong though.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 2:31:14 AM
At 9/14/2015 1:04:16 AM, Contra wrote:
At 9/13/2015 2:35:46 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Not really

Yeah that's my current sentiment. Namely because of his position (whatever it may be) on immigration (http://www.redstate.com...), his claim that, "I Don't Know' If People Are Born Gay Or If It's A Choice" (http://www.huffingtonpost.com...) and his discussion about building a wall along the Canadian border.

No one is really born gay, but it is not a choice either. But epigenetic research may, at least in the long-term, prove me wrong. And a few new twin studies also say there is a genetic component. Whether or not it will overturn the consensus will be shown in a few years.

I could be wrong though.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 3:41:44 AM
At 9/14/2015 2:31:14 AM, 16kadams wrote:

No one is really born gay, but it is not a choice either. But epigenetic research may, at least in the long-term, prove me wrong. And a few new twin studies also say there is a genetic component. Whether or not it will overturn the consensus will be shown in a few years.

What is the case then? Does it appear to be a blend of both environmental and genetic influences?

I could be wrong though.

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 4:38:23 AM
At 9/14/2015 3:41:44 AM, Contra wrote:
At 9/14/2015 2:31:14 AM, 16kadams wrote:

What is the case then? Does it appear to be a blend of both environmental and genetic influences?

Yes. Genetics are about 7-25% of it, depending on the study. Lesbians seem to have a higher genetic part, which is interesting. The rest is environmental. And you can't choose environmental factors--there are billions of them out of our control. It is not a choice.

I could be wrong though.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 12:33:14 PM
Ben Carson would be an awful President.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 8:22:06 AM
Ah, Ben Carson...

Here's the thing. He wont win if we does what he is doing. He talks big away from others, but when confronted with stupid, as in the last debate, he bows. He had the perfect moment to utterly destroy Trump and simply explained softly he was wrong. When Trump gave a profusely BS statement, he bowed saying autism wont happen but we might be giving to much. No, he should have been fiercely firm and destroyed Trump where he was and as a liar. He would have earned many points as Carly Fiorina did, who stood up to Trump and told him off.